Official Poly construction update thread **updated video page 103(2/17/15)**

We currently have a standard view booked. We are booked through the agency that is handling my aunt's free trip (she is staying at GF with 2 of my kids) and we got the room for about 40% off.

Is a standard room always a view of the parking lot? We are wanting to be in one of the buildings closest to GF since two of our kids will be over there. I suspect we'll be walking back and forth quite a bit. Is there a building on that side that has decent standard views? How much does it typically increase the cost to upgrade to a garden or lagoon view?

Thanks!

We currently have a standard view booked. We are booked through the agency that is handling my aunt's free trip (she is staying at GF with 2 of my kids) and we got the room for about 40% off. Is a standard room always a view of the parking lot? We are wanting to be in one of the buildings closest to GF since two of our kids will be over there. I suspect we'll be walking back and forth quite a bit. Is there a building on that side that has decent standard views? How much does it typically increase the cost to upgrade to a garden or lagoon view? Thanks!

You can get a good idea of room locations & views on touringplans.com. -- they have a room locator tool with view photographs for each longhouse, accessed on the resort's page via a direct link.
To be close to the GF you would request Aotearoa, Fiji or Tuvalu. All rooms in Fiji are standard, with some facing the marina & the opposite side of the building facing the GF. Standard in Aotearoa face either gardens or the monorail through plants & trees. Tuvalu standards face toward the monorail - but in the distance so not visible. The opposite side of Tuvalu is theme park or lagoon views.

Hi Tikiman!

Really appreciate the work you have put into keeping us all informed about the Poly. We have never stayed but I am thinking of surprising my husband with a CL Poly room during the Princess Half weekend mid-February. (which I am running).

We don't really care about the pool construction, but since my husband is really into the 'exotic island' feel, and he's not a seasoned Disney traveler, and he is learning to get into the Disney magic since we've been married.....

Do you think the ceremonial hall will be done? I'd hate to have to walk through little yellow hallways.

If we stay CL, what view is going to offer the least amount of construction interference?

Thanks in advance! This decision is stupid important to me. Its either CL Poly or CL Boardwalk, and it really ONLY depends on the hall construction.

Oh one more thing - I noticed that the Pool isn't expected to be done until March but Blizzard Beach is under rehab starting in January --- so would you surmise that guests will get length of stay passes to Typhoon Lagoon? If so, I will forgo the 'water parks + more' option to our park hoppers.

:) - Carey

You can get a good idea of room locations & views on touringplans.com. -- they have a room locator tool with view photographs for each longhouse, accessed on the resort's page via a direct link.
To be close to the GF you would request Aotearoa, Fiji or Tuvalu. All rooms in Fiji are standard, with some facing the marina & the opposite side of the building facing the GF. Standard in Aotearoa face either gardens or the monorail through plants & trees. Tuvalu standards face toward the monorail - but in the distance so not visible. The opposite side of Tuvalu is theme park or lagoon views.

Thank you so much! That is very helpful :)

Looking at room pics on TP's site and I don't see an option to choose a 'standard view'. 'Garden view' looks to be the lowest priced room. Is that the same as a standard view?

Thanks!

There is no standard view, garden view is the lowest/least expensive, then lagoon view and theme park view ( or maybe it's magic kingdom view, I can't remember which it's called right now)! There aren't very many "bad" views at the Poly IMO, many less than most other resorts.

I guess I should add that is not taking into consideration the construction, which seems to be temporarily making plenty of less desireable views!!

There is no standard view, garden view is the lowest/least expensive, then lagoon view and theme park view ( or maybe it's magic kingdom view, I can't remember which it's called right now)! There aren't very many "bad" views at the Poly IMO, many less than most other resorts.

I guess I should add that is not taking into consideration the construction, which seems to be temporarily making plenty of less desireable views!!

I agree. Looking at the pics from Touring Plans, every view i saw was something I would be happy with :yay:

I am absolutely stunned that WDW is still charging the rates they are to stay at the Poly during this construction phase. I read this morning that Kona Island is also being closed for a month. I am baffled at to why they are still charging $300-$500 a night to stay there, when the only perk available is the monorail, and even that is iffy. Right now, it is a themed construction zone. I absolutely love the Polynesian, it is our home base at WDW, but it is absolutely ludicrous to stay there for those rates while everything is down and under construction.

I am absolutely stunned that WDW is still charging the rates they are to stay at the Poly during this construction phase. I read this morning that Kona Island is also being closed for a month. I am baffled at to why they are still charging $300-$500 a night to stay there, when the only perk available is the monorail, and even that is iffy. Right now, it is a themed construction zone. I absolutely love the Polynesian, it is our home base at WDW, but it is absolutely ludicrous to stay there for those rates while everything is down and under construction.
I agree!!! We just ate at ohana this week...and I couldn't believe the way the hotel looked...you honestly have to see it to believe it....and we stayed there last year ...it was our dream resort..There is construction everywhere!!!!

Not stunned @ all. This is how they are. And why on earth are they renovating so many resorts during summer mnths? do they even care?

I am absolutely stunned that WDW is still charging the rates they are to stay at the Poly during this construction phase. I read this morning that Kona Island is also being closed for a month.

I can't afford the regular price so I am staying there in a couple of weeks while they are offering discounts.

I can't afford the regular price so I am staying there in a couple of weeks while they are offering discounts.

Ok, but for what? The room? Just to say you've stayed there? Everything that has always made the Poly amazing is torn down or being shuttered behind construction walls. Don't get me wrong, that resort is home for us, but I don't understand this at all. Is the mystique of the resort so great that people are willing to pay $300 plus per night, even with no amenities and ugly construction plus the noise, just to be part of the club?

I would say shame on WDW for still charging what they do for what patrons are given, but I guess there are still a line of people willing to accept a lesser experience at an obscene rate, so more power to you I guess.

Ok, but for what? The room? Just to say you've stayed there? Everything that has always made the Poly amazing is torn down or being shuttered behind construction walls. Don't get me wrong, that resort is home for us, but I don't understand this at all. Is the mystique of the resort so great that people are willing to pay $300 plus per night, even with no amenities and ugly construction plus the noise, just to be part of the club? I would say shame on WDW for still charging what they do for what patrons are given, but I guess there are still a line of people willing to accept a lesser experience at an obscene rate, so more power to you I guess.

Just as you can't understand why some would pay to stay at a Resort that is being renovated... I can't understand why you would give a second thought to how others choose to spend their vacation dollars. Your posts not only have an angry tone, they are quite condescending in places as well.

I'm sure those choosing to visit the Poly both now & throughout the remainder of the construction, have weighed their choices thoughtfully prior to putting down their reservation deposit. It's not like what's happening at the Poly is a secret.

Just as you can't understand why some would pay to stay at a Resort that is being renovated... I can't understand why you would give a second thought to how others choose to spend their vacation dollars. Your posts not only have an angry tone, they are quite condescending in places as well.

I'm sure those choosing to visit the Poly both now & throughout the remainder of the construction, have weighed their choices thoughtfully prior to putting down their reservation deposit. It's not like what's happening at the Poly is a secret.

Text does not convey tone. No one is being rude or condescending, I just honestly don't understand why anyone would choose to pay the super inflated price Disney is still charging to stay there, when essentially all you are getting is the room with no amenities. But, as I stated previously, apparently people are so anxious to stay there that they are willing to accept that.

Text does not convey tone. No one is being rude or condescending, I just honestly don't understand why anyone would choose to pay the super inflated price Disney is still charging to stay there, when essentially all you are getting is the room with no amenities. But, as I stated previously, apparently people are so anxious to stay there that they are willing to accept that.

Many staying in August are doing so on a deeply discounted travel agency rate... $212.00 per night all in. With half the longhouses out of commission it will mean less crowds, which is appealing to many at a busy time of year. The East pool by all reports this week has been almost empty, so the loss of the volcano pool is yet to be felt by most guests. Blizzard Beach is a nice option to have as well when free of charge & with perks.

It's been my experience that the CMs at the Poly are awesome, I expect they are going above & beyond for those who've booked time with them during a challenging period for the Resort as a whole. That's just good business, especially if they want repeat business once the resort is done & prices are hiked. lol.

For those staying for the first time, you can't miss what you've never experienced. For those on repeat visits, the Resort holds a cherished spot for them. for what ever reason.

I thought I could just monitor the situation at the Poly and make my decision in the winter for our August 2015 trip. But, reading all of the details of the seemingly endless construction is getting stressful. Finally, I find out that if the volcano pool is actually finished on schedule, then the quiet pool will be out of commission. I don't want to be upset planning my dream vacation. I want to be happy and excited.

I give up. Looks like we will be staying at the Contemporary or Grand Floridian. GF will require me to work harder to save, but if I can do it, it will be worth it.

Best wishes to everyone staying at the Poly.

I thought I could just monitor the situation at the Poly and make my decision in the winter for our August 2015 trip. But, reading all of the details of the seemingly endless construction is getting stressful. Finally, I find out that if the volcano pool is actually finished on schedule, then the quiet pool will be out of commission. I don't want to be upset planning my dream vacation. I want to be happy and excited. I give up. Looks like we will be staying at the Contemporary or Grand Floridian. GF will require me to work harder to save, but if I can do it, it will be worth it. Best wishes to everyone staying at the Poly.

If the Poly is where your heart lies, I'd go with your first instinct to wait til winter to make your decision. The scope of the work on the East pool (quiet pool) isn't known yet. It may only be down a week or two for a freshen. Unlike the volcano pool where they are adding a splash pad, an infinity hot tub and scaling back the slide and changing the pool deck area...

The "problem" with the easy access to info on the internet is that sometimes it is inaccurate, exaggerated or just plain wrong. Yes, there is allot of chat about the renovation at the Poly right now... because it is ongoing and in stages. But a year from now when you plan to travel, it will be well on it's way to being over! Not much will be left to do by then. A whole new Poly to enjoy ;)

The only thing not completed by April 2015 might be the pool area but they are trying for the end of March or beginning of April. After then Nanea pool area is back open they will close the East pool to be renovated so that area might be under construction. Other than that everything else should be done around February.

We were just at Poly CL TPV over July 4 week. Construction of the bungalows did not bother us at all (we find it interesting!). The pool was still open while we were there, so we really weren't impacted at all by construction while staying in Hawaii. Here are some pictures of our view:

Poly CL TPV. Room 3514. July 2014.

0ffb238d2920267b1f5cd815018d98ba_zpsaeaf7025.jpg

39a3506cbf8aa9cd84027f149bf1175e_zps863e053f.jpg

92e7a94fb9928df70a3221f250c5ce28_zpse80d7da7.jpg

I'm just quoting Tikiman's post from a couple days ago because it's very good information. See his facebook page for up-to-date accurate info and pictures. Someone just posted going on a trip in August 2015 and I think most work should be done by then except for maybe the quiet pool, which isn't really that big of a deal, I don't think....

Also quoting myself showing what the view looks like from Hawaii TPV as of a few weeks ago (week of July 4).

I'm just quoting Tikiman's post from a couple days ago because it's very good information. See his facebook page for up-to-date accurate info and pictures. Someone just posted going on a trip in August 2015 and I think most work should be done by then except for maybe the quiet pool, which isn't really that big of a deal, I don't think.... Also quoting myself showing what the view looks like from Hawaii TPV as of a few weeks ago (week of July 4).

Love Tikiman's website... his info is usually spot on.

I also think August 2015 is a pretty safe bet, that most of the long renovation should be done ;)

Your pictures are awesome! Did you enjoy your stay?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter