OFFICIAL - New Fantasyland Rumour is TRUE!

Just saw this thread . . . no time to read all 15 pages, so I apologize if this has already been asked. I am assuming Philharmagic is a goner?? And what about the classics (Peter Pan, Snow White)

I'm sad . . . it all sounds really cool, but I guess I am a traditionalist. I know one thing . . . We will be spending a whole lot more time in Fantasyland next week than I had expected. It will never be the same . . . and I want to savor it all one last time. :sad1:

No, none of the major attractions are actually going away...Dumbo will be relocated, and Toontown as an area is going away to become part of the new Fantasyland. It's the meet-n-greet areas being shuffled around.

WOW!!!! I was just 18 on my first trip to WDW in Feb of '72 right after it opened. I have been vacationing there ever since and, although I loved and miss many of the things that Disney has changed over the years, in the looooong run, it has all been good and a great ride!:woohoo: So I am very excited and have visions of the many years of vacations to come with my now and future grandchildren and all of the new attractions we will enjoy and come to love:love:

Is it even possible that DNeph and I will see our longstanding dream to drive speeder bikes through the forest in 3D come true at the new Star Tours?!!! It looks promising:yay::yay::yay:

I wonder how much the Harry Potter addition played into the timing of this? Thanks Universal!!;)

Personally, I think this is awesome! I usually don't deal well with change, especially where Walt Disney World is concerned but I am super ecstatic about this overhaul to FL!!! I love how most of the attractions will be additions and not so much removal of the oldies but goodies ie: Peter Pan, Snow White, Small World (annoying, but still a classic;)) and my absolute favourite, Mickey's Philharmagic (although not so much an "oldy").
The most exciting addition IMO is B &the B! Maybe the addition of a new Princess dining experience will take away some of the stress for those who can't get an ADR to CRT!

Well done Disney :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I would like to encourage everyone who doesn't want to be there during construction to delay their trips - no point in going when there are walls and construction noise everywhere, is there ? Don't take a trip next year, wait until the new Fantasyland is unveiled - that way you'll have saved SO much more money, and be able to have a super duper trip !! I'll be thinking of you all as I do suffer through the construction in May 2010, hopefully it'll be really quiet, crowdwise :):)

I am looking for any excuse to plan another trip in the future, and I think I just found it! I am so excited, we love Ariel and have been wanting a Little Mermaid attraction for a long time. It seems like a long way off, but I think I should start saving and planning!

I am REALLY excited about the changes!!! And since Belle is my DD's favorite, I'm really glad that there will be an expended area for her. Sure, I always thought that Dumbo would stay where it is, but I'm certainly not going to cry because it's moving. It's still around, and the waiting idea with the feather sounds really great.

I don't think that people will delay their trip because of construction. There's ALWAYS something being refurbished or under construction at WDW. But if people do stay away, that's ok....less crowds for me to deal with!! :)

Thanks OP and PP for posting links!!

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but has anyone realized that if you go to the Orlando Sentinel article http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/orl-disney-world-new-fantasyland-plans-page,0,2321880.htmlpage and click right above the picture for the larger picture you can zoom in and out to get closer views of the attractions.:thumbsup2

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trave...21880.htmlpage

It has just been announced at the D23 Expo by head of Imagineering Jay Rasulo

Full Video Announcement with wonderful illustrations HERE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08W5Os-Wnj0

Other details here

http://twitpic.com/hgwcy

New Twin Dumbo here

http://twitpic.com/hgx5b

New Ariel Ride here

http://twitpic.com/hgwqm

And here are some AMAZING pics of more attractions courtesy of Orlando Sentinel

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trave...,7274675.story

and here

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trave...7.photogallery

Plus here is the trailer for the new STAR TOURS ride

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jQaHgsKhQ4

fantasyland_conceptart.jpg

dumbo_conceptart.jpg

This is going to be absolutely breathtaking I was literally tearing up watching the presentation!!!

My partner was looking at me like I had lost my mind as I was sitting here getting teary eyed and holding my head going "OMG, they are actually going to do it, OMG!" as I watched the video of Jay's presentation last night. She said why are you getting teary, I told her, "Honey, you don't understand, this is going to be HUGE. I can't believe that they are actually going to do it. OMG, it's going to be beautiful and it's going to be the perfect addition to Fantasyland. This is going to be so amazing and Walt would have been so proud of them. Thank God for John Lasseter and the postitive influence he is having on the parks." She gave me that look of "I love my little Disney geek", but she still doesn't get it, but at least in being very different people, she allows me to be the Disney geek that I am at heart. :thumbsup2

In other words, Glen, you were so not alone. :lmao: Maggie

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree about the whole boys thing. For years now Disney has,imo, gone out of their way to market towards girls and what's in the parks is a reflection of that. All one needs to do is simply look at the number of things that are on property that cater to the girls and then compare those with the things geared towards the boys and it's almost as though Disney put the stuff for the boys in there as an afterthought or to stem any complaints from Dads that there aren't any "special" things for them to do with their sons.

Don't get me wrong, the things they have done for boys are certainly appreciated but the girl focus was noticeable even to my wife. Here on DIS I see a lot of moms doing a girls only trip with their daughters (and I don't begrudge them that one bit, I think it's great) but see very little if any boys only trips. Which also coincides with how many times we say a mom and a daughter walking through the parks on our last trip as compared to the number of dads and sons. And yes, I realize that there are far more things that factor into this than just who Disney markets to, but their also not helping themselves in this regard either.

I'm sure I'll get some flamage for this, but it's not meant to upset. It's just my opinion based on observations. I simply think that Disney has been so overly focused on the princesses and whatnot that they are running the risk of alienating the boys. Just my two cents.

OK - I slept on it (and watched the You Tube video) and now I ma really excited!! I was worried that moving Dumbo would look weird, oh well, I'll get over it to enjoy every other aspect of the revamp! I hope the Ariel ride has animatronics and isn't like Nemo - from the picture I saw I can just imagine those cute little frogs croaking!

Don't get me wrong, I think the new Fantasyland will be beautiful, its just that part of me wishes that Disney had decided to throw some money into the Animal Kingdom, possibly to bring the Beastly Kingdomme expansion to fruition. I understand (i guess) from business point of view, but......oh well LOL. Please dont flame me.

Honestly, I kind of blame the fact that MK is turning 40 soon as the "excuse" for why it's getting the first big push of improvement and expansion instead of AK. I love the AK park more than the MK park, so I certainly feel that little pang of disappointment, but if this MK expansion goes well, can you imagine what Beastly will look like as "the next big thing" when it's time does come? OMG! :banana: I certainly can't wait! Maggie

I've read the article and watched the video! I think it is amazing. No complaints here. I have 2 girls, 1 boy and what I saw there will be things for both of them to do.:thumbsup2 My son is only three but he loves Beauty and Beast. I also think its great that they are NOT getting rid of Mickey and Minnie's house. They are just going to move it. That is the only thing we go and see when we are in Toontown anyways.
Thank you Disney!!!:goodvibes:cloud9:

It is not clear if Ariel's Grotto will also move to the new Ariel attraction or go completely
I think it's staying, but being moved, since it's in the corner of the concept art.

Don't get me wrong, I think the new Fantasyland will be beautiful, its just that part of me wishes that Disney had decided to throw some money into the Animal Kingdom, possibly to bring the Beastly Kingdomme expansion to fruition. I understand (i guess) from business point of view, but......oh well LOL. Please dont flame me.
I would've loved to have seen Beastly Kingdom come to life. Maybe after this it will actually happen!

I think they gave Belle too much room, and I don't understand why they would waste space on a direct-to-DVD group of characters like the pixies. Maybe, since that sounds like it's going to be a later add-on, they will give up the pixies like a bad job and use the area for the Frog Princess instead.

Instead of giving Belle a cottage AND a castle AND two restaurants, they should have given room to Snow White. And I'm not sure if they think the circus area is supposed to attract boys, because they certainly don't seem worried about the male demographic with everything else they are changing in Fantasyland.

All of that stuff, I could live with, since my kids have gotten too big for princesses anyway, but the changes to Dumbo really irk me. Now it's all the way in the back, and past the new princess area. It seems out of place, although I guess Disney will do their usual good job of transitioning from one area to another. Still, I don't see why they couldn't have left Dumbo where it was and just moved everything else back. And the new "wait for your feather" system? I wonder how that is going to mess up touring plans. Will you still need to "wait for your feather" at opening? Although, since it's now all the way in East Bumble, it probably doesn't matter.
I agree that they should have done something for Snow White. Dumbo I'm really going to have to wait and see to know how I feel completely. When I first heard the rumors, I didn't like the idea of two Dumbos, but now that I've seen the concept art, I like it better.

1) I'm hoping we'll be able to bypass the princess "activities" - birthday cards for Aurora, etc. We just want a "hello" and a picture. They sound nice, though, for families who really want to get involved.
I would watch all the activities once, for the experiance, but after that I would be able to probably bypass them too.

I would like to encourage everyone who doesn't want to be there during construction to delay their trips - no point in going when there are walls and construction noise everywhere, is there ? Don't take a trip next year, wait until the new Fantasyland is unveiled - that way you'll have saved SO much more money, and be able to have a super duper trip !! I'll be thinking of you all as I do suffer through the construction in May 2010, hopefully it'll be really quiet, crowdwise :):)
I thought of this today as well. I go every year solo, but my dad has been talking about a family trip sometime, we were talking about next year, but that's not going to happen, so now I'm thinking maybe late 2013 would be a good time to go!

LOL, that post seems oddly self serving. ;) Maggie

I'm sure I'll get some flamage for this, but it's not meant to upset. It's just my opinion based on observations. I simply think that Disney has been so overly focused on the princesses and whatnot that they are running the risk of alienating the boys. Just my two cents.

I agree with you, but it's not necessarily boys vs girls. My girls are not into princesses. At all. Probably not interested in that "whatnot" you refer to. They like Star Wars and Jedi training, sports and adventure. No they are not "tomboys," they are girls and there are plenty of girls just like them. They would be very excited about new non-glitter attractions and we can't wait to see how it all pans out! :thumbsup2

I'm a bit unclear on two things if anyone could help me out :)

1) There will now be two separate restaurants opening up? Both "Beauty and the Beast" themed? Are they both the same size and in that same general area in the Belleville section of Fantasyland?

2) Is Dumbo (both of 'em) now INDOORS?

I didn't see anyone bring this up but if the rides are under a circus tent, wouldn't that take a big part out of the Dumbo experience? (Albeit protect from weather!) I'm fine with them moving it but indoors is a new ballgame.

Also in regards to the "feather system" people will find a way to queue up near Dumbo. It's just tradition ;)

I am really excited about this expansion. MK is my favorite park and I think this will really add to the appeal. We are heading down in December and I am wondering if there will be any changes (walls etc) by then...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter