OFFICIAL January 2012 5K, Half Marathon, Marathon, Goofy or Dopey Challenge Thread

Coach Glad you had a confidence-boosting LR. It's a nice dilemma to have to have extra time.

Finished the longest run of my half plan this morning--15. Spent an impromptu weekend in Boston visiting my daughter and my family, so no usual Sunday LR for me. Fairly happy with my pace. Hope that "race magic" kicks in on race day.

Maura

Anyone wearing compression socks on the flight home Monday?

Was just thinking that might not be a bad idea. Now I have to try and get some. Maybe I can ask Santa.
:santa:

Was just thinking that might not be a bad idea. Now I have to try and get some. Maybe I can ask Santa.

I almost always wear compression socks on long flights. Esp. after a run, it's not a bad idea at all, and make sure you stay hydrated. Some increased risk for DVT (blood clots) following an intense exercise effort + dehydration + sitting still on a long flight.

I'll likely be wearing mine Sat. afternoon after the half, Sunday (maybe during the marathon, definitely after) and flying home.

I think most of us will already be back at our jobs on Monday morning, but no, I don’t plan on wearing any compression materials on Sunday or Monday.

I almost always wear compression socks on long flights. Esp. after a run, it's not a bad idea at all, and make sure you stay hydrated. Some increased risk for DVT (blood clots) following an intense exercise effort + dehydration + sitting still on a long flight.

I'll likely be wearing mine Sat. afternoon after the half, Sunday (maybe during the marathon, definitely after) and flying home.

I think studies have demonstrated that there is benefit to wearing compression socks on the flight post marathon. While clotting may not occur in a high number of fliers, it does happen frequently enough to take precautions if you are somewhat compromised i.e. just run 39 miles over the weekend.

I too will be wearing my OxySox on Saturday and post run Sunday and Tuesday on the flight home.

I think most of us will already be back at our jobs on Monday morning, but no, I don’t plan on wearing any compression materials on Sunday or Monday.

I am spending the week following the marathon in the parks. I figure if I am going all that way I might as well get a vacation out of it.:thumbsup2

Ugh I'm in a bad spot...I know I can finish my leg of the marathon relay, but I seem to have put on a good 8-9 lbs in the past month...blame Thanksgiving, a Disney cruise, and Christmas parties for that!I ran 13:1 on Friday but took about 6 minutes longer and I'm pretty sure due to the extra pounds. I know what I have to do (cut sugar, coke especially!) And I'm pretty sure it will come right off...just wanted to whine a little and hear someone tell me I can get those extra pounds off before january 8th!

I wear compression socks during and after all my long runs.

Ditto. I wear compression pants during my runs and compressions socks afterwards. Will wear compression socks on Sunday and maybe Monday. Didn't think about the plane ride but that is a good idea!

A "Grinch" stole my Wine & Dine 2011 1/2 marathon magnet along with the Gotta Run one my husband gave me while training for that, my 1st half, off my car yesterday while visiting MK. My husband had just gone out of his way to connect a lost camera to its person and then we returned to my car..

Looking forward to running the Donald. My husband said he'll buy me a decal next time.

My rhuematologist recommends I wear compression socks after my long runs and on any flight over 2 hours.

Do you guys think I'll be okay having my longest run earlier this month at 22 miles? I was going to try and push it to 23 this weekend but I've been really stiff in the legs and extra tired before my morning run, I'm thinking 20 is probably best.

It's my first marathon and I'd like to be prepared but I did read coach saying it'd be better to be underprepared tan overprepared. I'm thinking this is one of those situations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter