OFFICIAL Jan 2011 Half Marathon, Full Marathon, Dopey or Goofy Challenge Thread

Nope, I was born and raised here. I don't know how I entered it wrong. I only noticed it because when I pulled up my marathon waiver, the 5K didn't come up. I thought it was because TNT registered me for the marathon, but that wasn't it. I also thought that when I registered for the 5K all of my info was pulled from my Active account.

I just checked my Princess registration and it has the wrong date too. Doh!

Just got back from doing an 8 mile outside. After using a treadmill for the past 10 days, it sure was nice being out on the road. I had only planned on doing 5 but I was enjoying myself and the weather was pretty good that I decided to do the 8 miler which I had planned to do on Thursday. Now if DH gets a chance to get back outside for some runs before the half, we'll be in good shape.

18 days and counting until the WDW Half!

Being the DISBoards... I initially misread that as "TIGGER point therapy"

I was picturing a "Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique" type salon that specialized in
massage... he he.

Obviously my tapering is effecting me more than I realize... ;)

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I think the month/day order makes more sense because that is how most people speak the date. I would never say today is the 21st of December, I'd say it is December 21st.

Just to be contrary, I do say 21st of Decemeber (or 21 December)! But, as has been said before, I'm a freak.

I prefer year-month-day or day-month-year because it is in order. Either biggest unit (year) to smallest (day) or smallest to biggest.

To be safe, when writing the date on a form or somesuch, I'll write 21-Dec-2010 rather than 21-12-2010 (okay, in this case, you couldn't read it wrong, but you get the idea).

Tennesotans - I did the same thing!

Hi everyone! I've been lurking for the past couple of weeks, since I've discovered this thread. My DH and I are doing the half. It's the first race for the both of us. I just started running long distances in about March, while hubby is a long distance runner at heart. We're so excited about doing this. :cool1:

This thread is great, it is so nice to see what other marathoners are doing and see that everyone is going through the same things you are. My co-workers/friends/other family don't understand why I have to wake up at 5 am to go run in the 18 degree weather so it's great to read about everyone here doing (almost) the same thing!

Late last week while running on the treadmill I did injure my knee a bit. I did keep off of it for the past 5 days, and it's feeling back to normal so I'm about to start the training back up today. We've got our 12 miler coming up on Saturday (yep, Christmas :scared1:), and that is our last really long run.

I just have a question for those who have run the half before: How easy is it to find someone at the end of the race? My DH runs about 2 mins/mile faster than I do, so he'll be finished way before me. I know there are Family Reunion areas, but I also know there are 20k people running the race!! Is there a good place I should plan to meet DH after the race and not get lost in a swarm of people? TIA!!! :flower3:

Hi everyone! I've been lurking for the past couple of weeks, since I've discovered this thread. My DH and I are doing the half. It's the first race for the both of us. I just started running long distances in about March, while hubby is a long distance runner at heart. We're so excited about doing this. :cool1:

This thread is great, it is so nice to see what other marathoners are doing and see that everyone is going through the same things you are. My co-workers/friends/other family don't understand why I have to wake up at 5 am to go run in the 18 degree weather so it's great to read about everyone here doing (almost) the same thing!

Late last week while running on the treadmill I did injure my knee a bit. I did keep off of it for the past 5 days, and it's feeling back to normal so I'm about to start the training back up today. We've got our 12 miler coming up on Saturday (yep, Christmas :scared1:), and that is our last really long run.

I just have a question for those who have run the half before: How easy is it to find someone at the end of the race? My DH runs about 2 mins/mile faster than I do, so he'll be finished way before me. I know there are Family Reunion areas, but I also know there are 20k people running the race!! Is there a good place I should plan to meet DH after the race and not get lost in a swarm of people? TIA!!! :flower3:

Your better bet, since he will be about 30 minutes in advance is to meet in one of the following places (I really hat to give out one of them but have a bunch recently…)

First and easiest to remember is the family reunion tent that corresponds to either your first or last name; you pick. Just know that Disney gives does not give a lot of weight to the en of the alphabet so Z is always a great choice – even for bag check.

Next is to pick out a point as you arrive at the staging area. We usually look for a specific tree just outside the white picket fence gate. Since I have been giving this out a lot this year, I am sure that I will have about 1000 folks to sort through post race.

If you do not have a tight budget,, the runner’s retreat is always a good option. It’s a large tent that will keep him out of the wether while waiting; and both of you out of the weather pre-race.

I guess in a really short summary, pick out a place pre-race. Once you are there and just before they call runners to the corrals you will be able to get a lay of the land.

Was hoping for a scoop.

The one nice thing is that it looks like we get a nice goody bag again, recalling that in 2010 we received a mesh bag and not a plastic bag.

Also, a nice lanyard for the two set of perfect racers.

I think I'm the only one who likes the mesh bag from last year. It wasn't a good size for holding all the clothes I wanted after the race, but I've gotten a lot of use out of it since then. My wife and I use ours as laundry bags when we travel, stuffing as many of our dirty clothes into them as we can. Helps keep things separate in the suitcase and goes right into the hamper when we get home.

I think I'm the only one who likes the mesh bag from last year. It wasn't a good size for holding all the clothes I wanted after the race, but I've gotten a lot of use out of it since then. My wife and I use ours as laundry bags when we travel, stuffing as many of our dirty clothes into them as we can. Helps keep things separate in the suitcase and goes right into the hamper when we get home.

I have a hole in mine from all the use. It took the better part of 10 hard months of abuse.

One Disappointing note of change for the Expo - and I guess a lot of the indoor events held at WWoS. The Milk House is no more. The building was re-branded recently to the HP Field House

The Princess Half had a mesh bag and I love it. Mine is still going strong. They just had a cheap plastic one with a drawstring (like you would get from a sports store) for the DL half and It lasted the race and that was it.

In the final e-mail they talk about the Florida Hospital booth having some pain relieving gel. What are your thoughts on this stuff? I saw huge bottles of it at the Princess and people were using it like it was liquid Gold, at first I thought it was Sunblock and thought that everyone was so great about making sure they had their sun protection. :rotfl2:

Is this stuff safe? The best thing since sliced bread? I have avoided it the last two races, but after the Marathon, I may really need it. :rolleyes: (But I hope not - just thinking worst case scenario here)

If driving to Epcot the day of the race, what time should you be there? The program says to allow for 90 minutes but what time have others arrived? Yikes, we are getting close!

That's a great idea! We have 4 of them kicking around (DH's from the marathon, mine from the Goofy, 5K, and we were given an extra one at the end of the 5K to hold all our food) and I've yet to find a use for them.

And unrelated, Coach Charles: You had to mention that tart cherry juice last week! I saw some while shopping at Trader Joe's last week and now all I've been drinking for the last few days is cherry juice mixed with seltzer water! :lmao: I had to stop by TJ's again today to pick up another couple bottles - it's like an addiction whenever I have that stuff in the house!

The Princess Half had a mesh bag and I love it. Mine is still going strong. They just had a cheap plastic one with a drawstring (like you would get from a sports store) for the DL half and It lasted the race and that was it.

In the final e-mail they talk about the Florida Hospital booth having some pain relieving gel. What are your thoughts on this stuff? I saw huge bottles of it at the Princess and people were using it like it was liquid Gold, at first I thought it was Sunblock and thought that everyone was so great about making sure they had their sun protection. :rotfl2:

Is this stuff safe? The best thing since sliced bread? I have avoided it the last two races, but after the Marathon, I may really need it. :rolleyes: (But I hope not - just thinking worst case scenario here)

If driving to Epcot the day of the race, what time should you be there? The program says to allow for 90 minutes but what time have others arrived? Yikes, we are getting close!

Historically the gel is BioFreeze and yes it is very safe as long as you do not eat it. It is actually a little safer than most topical hot/cold gels and ointments because it is all natural. There are a couple unfortunate stories out there about folks who have OD’d on things like BenGay. I use it more at home than during a race. But if you are having a muscle issue the chilling effect may help get you through an issue.

S far as driving I will always try to aim at arriving around 3:30. I am kind of a type a person and hate to be rushed, so YMMV. What I find and see (and really saw from the monorail) is that traffic does back up significantly in the 4:30 range. While I am a big city driver, that could be disturbing to a small city driver who does not deal with lines of hundreds of cars regularly. I go as early as I do to get a better parking spot and to give myself a little time to wake up, stretch and get mentally ready for the day. I also will be out and about in the family reunion area finding and talking with friends I have made through the years.

Not sure where you are driving from but I am sure you are aware of the fact the Epcot Dr is closed from the south approach into the parking lot (but just in case you or another reader of this post is not). So you will need to aim for the intersection of World Drive and Epcot Dr and then come into the parking lot from that direction.

Anyone changing their normal weekend running to accommodate Christmas?

I am actually going to do my long run on Friday morning, rather than Saturday (Christmas) or Sunday (day after, duh). I figure, my MIL will have just arrived and I am sure I will have several cocktails on Christmas night :rotfl2:. I would already have my long run over with before imbibing in good food and drink.

Anyone else or am I just nuts?

Also, used some KT tape today for a sore top of foot and it worked great! :thumbsup2

I'm also planning on doing my long run this week on Friday. So busy opening presents, eating and sleeping on Christmas, it'll be good to have it out of the way. Christmas and the day after make for great rest days :)

Anyone changing their normal weekend running to accommodate Christmas?

I am actually going to do my long run on Friday morning, rather than Saturday (Christmas) or Sunday (day after, duh). I figure, my MIL will have just arrived and I am sure I will have several cocktails on Christmas night :rotfl2:. I would already have my long run over with before imbibing in good food and drink.

Anyone else or am I just nuts?

Also, used some KT tape today for a sore top of foot and it worked great! :thumbsup2

This may sound funny, but I have run Christmas Morning as well as New Years Day for the last 6 years. It makes for a short night because I am up early. The runs are some of the more peaceful runs you can get since relatively few are up and no one is out.

But we also head over to my MIL for Christmas Day activities and we are empty nesters so having to wrangled excited yunguns is not on the menu.

From a coach's perspective I would say do what you need to do to get your run in. Friday seems to be a great day, just watch out for the star crazed husbands who seemed to have not purchases a special gift yet and are flying to the mall for it's opening bell

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter