Official inaugural Tower of Terror 10 miler thread. September 29, 2012

Pics are up if you search for Tower of Terror. On the negative side, Bright Room has figured out we can get the pictures and has a Bright Room filter over the whole thing. It's awful as I can't even see myself in most of them since the word Bright Room is completely over my face! On the plus side, the 50% of code EndOfSummer50 does work for ToT stuff! I think I am going to get bordered 5X7s of my finisher photo for ToT and Princess. I could never bring myself to spend 18 bucks for one pictures, but 9 for a professional photograph with an event border seems much more reasonable.

Do you know when the coupon expires, I'm still in Disneyworld
to friday night

Yes, midnight on the 5th. Also, if you email the pics to yourself, you can see them without the watermark! On an iPhone or iPad, you can then click to save them ;) yay!

OMG yes, yes, a thousand times YES!!! I think this after every race!! :)

I *loved* the theme/scavenger hunt for the last ToT 13K. If they had it for this race, it would have made the heat/humidity a little more bearable. But only a little. :)

Oh, and what's with Stich all over the official race merch? Was he ever mentioned as the 'character' for this race? He's not anywhere associated with ToT, and I didn't see him anywhere on the course. :confused3

Stitch was at Mile 6/7 in the WWOS complex, right after the track before you exited. I took a pic with him, but also don't understand what he has to do with the TOT theme! haha

Can we all list the characters that were at this race? All I remember was The Big Bad Wolf, the hyena's from Lion King, Ghost puppets, and a millenium puppet from Epcot (this was a villian?), and grave diggers on the track at WWoS. Anyone with pictures or a list?

I just looked at the Brightroom photos. Showed our 17 year old son the finish line video. He's been at the runs with us for both the WDW half and Disneyland half so he knows how it should look. First thing he said was "it doesn't look impressive" meaning if you look at the videos, the railings are empty with no spectators at the finish. :sad1:

Characters I saw/remembered:
~Parade people from the AK parade
~Hyenas
~Facilier with the tikis and ghosts
~DJ on Osceola (not technically a character)
~Gravediggers
~Stitch
~Big Bad Wolf
~Manequin in the wardrobe shop (she was creepy!)

OK, we've all aired our opinions on the race, but I want to know seriously,

Who is planning to do this race again next year?

Personally, I really really want to do this again, and I'm afraid I'm the only one :lmao:

Personally, I really really want to do this again, and I'm afraid I'm the only one :lmao:

I want to do it again. Like I said in my recap post, I love the theme and the potential that this race has. I truly think Disney will tweak this to make it better. They know how to organize a race - they just need to put all the elements together from what they know to what they want it to be.

The only factor they can't control is the weather - which obviously is still iffy at the end of September.

freepixie said:

I doubt I'll do it. Next year I think I'll do the Halloween Half in Miami instead.

freepixie said:

I won't do it again. It was my first Disney race and I expected so much more. I had initially thought that maybe I expected too much and maybe Disney races aren't really "all that". I'm actually glad to know that others thought it wasn't up to Disney standards. I really would like to experience a "good" Disney race so I may do another one in the future but not this one until and if they get it up to the standards of their other races. I also think I'm done with September night races. It was still a great experience for me. I trained for almost a year and learned a lot about myself and the sport. I definitely have caught the running bug and for the first time in my life I consider myself a runner. Everyone here also helped me so much. None of my friends or family run or understand it. Not having local running buddies was hard and even depressing sometimes. This forum helped me to not feel alone and really helped keep me motivated. Knowing there were others experiencing some of the same doubts and challenges helped me to push through and know that any obstacle can be overcome. For that, I want to thank each and every one of you.

Stitch was at Mile 6/7 in the WWOS complex, right after the track before you exited. I took a pic with him, but also don't understand what he has to do with the TOT theme! haha

Stitch has been a character at ToT for awhile. My DH and I got a little stuffed Stitch wearing the bellhop outfit years ago. I was thrilled that the I did it shirt had Stitch on it and he was the only character I had to stop for. Before the Expo my DH joked that I could only get something at the expo if it had Stitch on it soit worked out great for me. He is my favorite!

Pics are up if you search for Tower of Terror. On the negative side, Bright Room has figured out we can get the pictures and has a Bright Room filter over the whole thing. It's awful as I can't even see myself in most of them since the word Bright Room is completely over my face! On the plus side, the 50% of code EndOfSummer50 does work for ToT stuff! I think I am going to get bordered 5X7s of my finisher photo for ToT and Princess. I could never bring myself to spend 18 bucks for one pictures, but 9 for a professional photograph with an event border seems much more reasonable.

That's weird, did you try again? I was just able to get all my Princess pics, my DH's one ToT pic he wanted, and the $80 full photo and video deal for my bib from ToT all under the ENDOFSUMMER50 deal. It was $132 for everything. :goodvibes:goodvibes

We won't be doing this race again next year. DH wants to do the Princess Half this year maybe, or we both will do the W&D together if I am not too preggo by then hopefully!:goodvibes

I don't think I would do this race again for several reasons. One is that now that I can do more distance, there are other Disney races I would like to try. I'm doing my first 1/2 in January and would love to do the Princess 1/2 someday too and ultimately the Coast to Coast which DS and DH have earned.

The night races have intimidated me (did Expedition Everest too) but I've come to the conclusion it's not really the timing of the race at night, it's the heat and humidity I just don't do we'll in.
I also get migraines from bright and flashing lights so combined with the heat, I kept my head down a lot as to not trigger a migraine. So perhaps the night races just aren't for me.

Finally, I have 3 kids, 2 in HS, one in 5th grade and this was just a crazy busy time if year to leave them behind with all they have going on.
Logistics to prepare for them was just too much. Don't think I can do that again.

AnotherPrincess, I agree with you about this forum/thread being motivating. I've learned a lot from reading here, have enjoyed following posters' stories, journeys and experiences.
I am appreciative as well. In fact, I did mile dedications and mile 2 was dedicated to this thread and all running the ToT I've read about.

Wow, just finally got a chance to read the results and DH and I finished at 2:57:26 and there were only 50 finishers behind us. After reading this thread we realized that we just missed the 7 mile cutoff by minutes. The final finisher time was 3:13 and change. I am so proud of myself for being able to complete this race after everything I have been through since my surgery in July. And I am so proud of DH for hobbling crippled from WWOS to the finish with me.

I'm another one who was disappointed in the course and expected more on-course entertainment based on other runDisney races I've done. I had a really fun weekend in general and I'm glad I went but I'm not sure I would run this particular race again. 10 miles isn't really enough for me to travel again and the course would have to change for me to consider it. Again, glad I did it once but don't need to do it again.
I've never done Wine & Dine but I've heard the course is better and I would consider that next year instead of ToT.
I was hoping to run this race at training pace as I have a half marathon this weekend. I accomplished that with negative splits so I was pleased with my pacing. My 2nd 5K was my slowest due to course crowding and crowding at water stops. :confused3 I ran with a new distance runner and was able to help her pace herself well so that was super fun for me - especially since I'm not so experience either!

Amanda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter