• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official inaugural Tower of Terror 10 miler thread. September 29, 2012

Did anyone figure out how to get the Brightroom discount from the virtual goody bag? I too am having the problem where it just points me to old race photos.

I used the link from the "Final Race Instructions Email" for the Igift bag on the right side. From there, click on "coupons & offers". Once I clicked on BrightRoom, click on the "get yours". Click on 2012, scroll to TOT, Click on 10 Miler and it pulls it up. I did notice all of this had the RunDisney logo at the top, until I hit the 10 miler link. I just ordered two, one for the TOT and one for the Princess.

But I do a lot of rain running down here, so IF it's rainy, here's what I'll be doing...
~iPhone gets wrapped in a double layer of cling wrap, then tucked into a snack-size ziploc before insertion into armband
~clothing stays the same, rain or shine: wicking, wicking, wicking fabrics that tend not to get weighed down with water weight
~anything in my waist pack that can be compromised by wetness goes into a small ziploc (Nuun tablets, car key fob, Tylenol, etc.)
~hat with a brim or visor is a MUST to keep rain out of eyes
~Bodyglide - lots of it. Because when the rain stops and skin's still damp, but no longer slick, it hurts. Trust V.

As far as humidity goes, beware of dehydration and overheating; sweat isn't as effective when it's too humid for it to evaporate. Slow down the pace and be sure to pre-hydrate the 48 hours before race day.

Good list for rain! When I headed out for my first 10 Mile long run, it was misting. I almost turned back, but I was determined to get it done to prove I could do it. I ran through several downpours and your list was exactly what I had done, except for the cell phone which was on my arm in a semi waterproof case. I can't stress the hat enough! I had grabbed DH's grubby moisture wick hat at the last second and it helped so much!

I never got a virtual "goodie" bag. ??? I guess I better check my junk mail folder.

There is a link in the "Final Race Instructions" email if you got that one.

Where was the link/offer for the cute little metal lunchbox? I missed that I think.:confused3

I'm so sorry. :( Don't worry about the running; you've been training long enough that I know you'll be fine. Take care of what needs taking care of and rest-up as you can. :hug: Hang in there.

Thanks :) I'm confident that I can finish...I'm just worried it's going to be more of a struggle than I was planning for. Oh well, if I'm feelin' craptastic afterwards, at least that'll be 2 fewer after-party attendees for everyone else to deal with! ;)

I used the link from the "Final Race Instructions Email" for the Igift bag on the right side. From there, click on "coupons & offers". Once I clicked on BrightRoom, click on the "get yours". Click on 2012, scroll to TOT, Click on 10 Miler and it pulls it up. I did notice all of this had the RunDisney logo at the top, until I hit the 10 miler link. I just ordered two, one for the TOT and one for the Princess.

Good list for rain! When I headed out for my first 10 Mile long run, it was misting. I almost turned back, but I was determined to get it done to prove I could do it. I ran through several downpours and your list was exactly what I had done, except for the cell phone which was on my arm in a semi waterproof case. I can't stress the hat enough! I had grabbed DH's grubby moisture wick hat at the last second and it helped so much!

There is a link in the "Final Race Instructions" email if you got that one.

Where was the link/offer for the cute little metal lunchbox? I missed that I think.:confused3

I got it through the v. gift bag that came through in July. cliff bar was one of the things you could register for. this is the second thing i got from cliff...and i did not expect either

Our plan is to take a bus from AoA to Epcot, then hop on a bus to one of the close host resorts, so probably the All-Stars and then get a bus to the race start. We are gonna just do a taxi for the 5K since I don't think it will be that crazy but just don't want to mess with WWOS Saturday night. While I don't mind walking, I just think the walk all the way through Epcot and such will be tiring at that point, especially since we will be in the parks all week prior to the race. As far as HS, the start is not actually in the park so I don't think it will open for the racers prior to the race....or am I wrong?

I am trying to figure this out too, as we are staying at AKL. I was thinking that if we had dinner at one of the Boardwalk restaurants, that would break up the walking. But I have never walked from the Boadwalk area to HS, so I am having a hard time picturing how this is going to go.

Also, I am counting on taxis being available after the race - anyone have any ideas about getting back to a non-host-resort from HS at midnight or later?

Alright I found some information, on food and merchandise offered at the Villain's Bash:
Food & Beverages:
Backlot Express
Min and Bill’s Dockside Diner
Anaheim Produce
Rosie’s All-American Café
Catalina Eddie’s
Fairfax Fare
Hollywood Scoops
Oasis

Merchandise:
Mickey's of Hollywood
Keystone Clothiers
runDisney Merchandise will be sold in front of
Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!
ESPN Wide World of Sports GAMEDAY Photos will
be sold in front of The Academy of Television Arts
& Sciences Hall of Fame Plaza.
Medal engravers and commemorative art will be
located on Sunset Boulevard.

Entertainment:
Entertainment DJ Dance Party Sorcerer Hat 10 p.m.- 4 a.m.
Character Greetings Various locations 10 p.m.- 4 a.m.
Awards Ceremony Near DJ Dance Party 12:30 a.m.

Thought I would post a pic of the lunch box. Inside there was cliff gu like stuff, 2 cliff bars and a package of blocks. Looking online... the box itself isn't super cheap... I am just kinda surprised that this is a give away but this it is super :cool1:

ecl-r12-a_large.jpeg

What exactly did you sign up for from Clif? I see something you download or watch on iTunes and then a link to register for the Pace Team... is that what you registered for? (It sounds like it is to join a run club or training for one of the specific marathons listed.) It'd be awesome to get some free Clif stuff as well as the cute box, but I can't figure out what to sign up for. TIA!

Nope - I've been looking, too...

As JCH said, never trust a FL forecast this far in advance! It is still the rainy season, but constant rain that late at night is pretty rare. But I do a lot of rain running down here, so IF it's rainy, here's what I'll be doing...
~iPhone gets wrapped in a double layer of cling wrap, then tucked into a snack-size ziploc before insertion into armband
~clothing stays the same, rain or shine: wicking, wicking, wicking fabrics that tend not to get weighed down with water weight
~anything in my waist pack that can be compromised by wetness goes into a small ziploc (Nuun tablets, car key fob, Tylenol, etc.)
~hat with a brim or visor is a MUST to keep rain out of eyes
~Bodyglide - lots of it. Because when the rain stops and skin's still damp, but no longer slick, it hurts. Trust V.

As far as humidity goes, beware of dehydration and overheating; sweat isn't as effective when it's too humid for it to evaporate. Slow down the pace and be sure to pre-hydrate the 48 hours before race day.

::yes:: I can't believe how much nicer our mornings and evenings have felt the past week or so! :thumbsup2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Outfit is together. Playlist is complete. (The full playlist is in my blog, if anyone's interested.) 3 more short training runs to go. I'll pack this weekend. 9 days!!! :banana:

Thanks all for the weather info, i guess you can never trust the weather report.We are in Disney from Sept 26th - Oct 4th forecast is rain everyday which here in B.C. means something completely different (all Day).

Hoping for sunshine !!
See you @ the finish line...

What exactly did you sign up for from Clif? I see something you download or watch on iTunes and then a link to register for the Pace Team... is that what you registered for? (It sounds like it is to join a run club or training for one of the specific marathons listed.) It'd be awesome to get some free Clif stuff as well as the cute box, but I can't figure out what to sign up for. TIA!

yes, the race pace team is what I signed up for. I wasn't sure what I was signing up for. :confused: I thought it sounded like I would be involved in something.. but I don't know.... Maybe I missed something..

OK folks, see ya at the Tower :thumbsup2 We leave our hometown tomorrow evening, staying over, and fly out of Cleveland first thing Saturday morning!! So nervous and so excited!!

Can't wait to hear everyone's stories of their triumphant finishes!!

Good luck everyone, and most of all, HAVE FUN ::yes::

It was the pace thing I signed up for as well. However the TOT wasn't listed as one of the races, odd since that's where the link came from. So I chose the Disneyland Half because that was the only runDisney event listed. The gist I got was that Clif provides pacers for certain races. I didn't get the impression that it applied to me but I signed up anyway. I figured they wouldn't have included the link if we weren't supposed to take advantage of it. Hoping I get the cool lunch box too!

Oh, and now it appears as though I'm getting the crud. I'm NEVER sick! No fever though. Took some mucinex and nasal spray and calling it a day. Hoping it's not much. I'm just under the 16 mm mark as it is. The crud might just do me in. I can't bear the thought of that.

Where are you eating lunch and dinner on race day? In training we had a heavy lunch (Italian, Stirfry, carb heavy choices) followed by a light dinner around 7. I'm starting to freak out that there aren't any light dinners to be had in Disney and all the lunches look really greasy. We'll be at the YC but could travel for lunch. I don't know how dinner will work if we need to be on the bus to the race by 8:30. Help!:confused3

We are in Disney from Sept 26th - Oct 4th forecast is rain everyday which here in B.C. means something completely different (all Day).
Exactly! Down here, "40% chance of scattered thunderstorms" means a brief thunderstorm may or may not cross your path at some point of the day. Generally speaking, it's not an all-day event unless the forecast is upward of 90% chance. :thumbsup2

OK folks, see ya at the Tower :thumbsup2 We leave our hometown tomorrow evening, staying over, and fly out of Cleveland first thing Saturday morning!! So nervous and so excited
Safe travels, and happy running!

Oh, and now it appears as though I'm getting the crud. I'm NEVER sick! No fever though. Took some mucinex and nasal spray and calling it a day. Hoping it's not much. I'm just under the 16 mm mark as it is. The crud might just do me in. I can't bear the thought of that.
UGH - feel better!

Where are you eating lunch and dinner on race day? In training we had a heavy lunch (Italian, Stirfry, carb heavy choices) followed by a light dinner around 7. I'm starting to freak out that there aren't any light dinners to be had in Disney and all the lunches look really greasy. We'll be at the YC but could travel for lunch. I don't know how dinner will work if we need to be on the bus to the race by 8:30. Help!:confused3
You might try the Marketplace in the Beach Club - they have sandwiches and soups, but I'm pretty sure they have breakfast-type things (bagels, muffins, etc.) available all day, too. If not, you could always pick something up early and eat it later in-room.

HEADS-UP runners and vacationers... pollen counts are on the rise down here in FL. If you're susceptible to fall pollen allergies (main offenders right now are ragweed and grasses), be sure to take along whatever brings you relief! Ragweed is a bad, bad trigger for me; I actually had to use my albuterol inhaler to do Pilates last night. That's not even an aerobic activity! :headache:

RE: Medal Engraving

What is or has been the charge and what do you engrave on it?

I'm getting nervous and excited both! My feet have been bothering me so I am adding in more stretching and exercises. This trip me do me in for awhile, but I've come too far to give up. I am still trying to make stuff for the girls for the trip, my poor costume is at the bottom of the list. I figure worse case, I can just run as Rapunzel again. I did find some light up shoelaces, which I think I have rigged in a way with the elastic laces that I can wear them if I do go with a costume. I will be testing them tomorrow morning, of course, without them being lite. I can just see my fellow runners laughing as I jog by. :lmao:

HEADS-UP runners and vacationers... pollen counts are on the rise down here in FL. If you're susceptible to fall pollen allergies (main offenders right now are ragweed and grasses), be sure to take along whatever brings you relief! Ragweed is a bad, bad trigger for me; I actually had to use my albuterol inhaler to do Pilates last night. That's not even an aerobic activity! :headache:

Thanks for the heads-up!

I broke down and went to doc. I have an ear infection so antibiotics. Yay! However she said I can still train through it and I'll be perfect in time for the race. Hope so!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter