Official inaugural Tower of Terror 10 miler thread. September 29, 2012

I'm at ASMu. It was a coach/Mears bus when I did the Inaugural Princess. There were sandwich boards marking the location of pick-up. One benefit to All-Stars, is a regular bus stop out front dedicated to WWoS. I don't know if the queue will be operational. Maybe, the queue will be used for event pick-up. I forget Canada is international.:crazy:

Congrats on your 11.5 today - that's awesome!!! Also glad to hear about the cool front in Florida. Hope it comes back for the evening of the 29th! :goodvibes We're dropping from a humidex in the high 80's to the 60's tomorrow as well - SO looking forward to a refreshing long run this weekend! :cool1:

And then came the rain! Hoping for a long run this morning - rained out so far. It is torrential rain and so windy. If it settles down to a drizzle I will go.

I am so disappointed in myself this time around.
Trained really good and hard for my first 1/2 in May of this year, signed up to do the 10 miler ToT and another 1/2 the week after the 10 miler and this entire summer has gotten the best of me and the longest run i've done so far is 6.2 miles :sad1: I am not going for a personal best for the ToT, but I would like to at least keep my same time for the Diva half in October :rolleyes:
I am at the point that I walk/run now and that is not like me and its killing me inside.....why am I beating myself up over this :sad2:

pixeemom said:
I am so disappointed in myself this time around.
Trained really good and hard for my first 1/2 in May of this year, signed up to do the 10 miler ToT and another 1/2 the week after the 10 miler and this entire summer has gotten the best of me and the longest run i've done so far is 6.2 miles :sad1: I am not going for a personal best for the ToT, but I would like to at least keep my same time for the Diva half in October :rolleyes:
I am at the point that I walk/run now and that is not like me and its killing me inside.....why am I beating myself up over this :sad2:

Same thing for me. I did the princess half and trained for it really hard. All I've done this summer to prepare for TOT is run a 10k. I think heat played a huge factor in killing much of my motivation. I will still try to run as much of this race as possible and enjoy the characters and after party. It's Disney after all!

Same thing for me. I did the princess half and trained for it really hard. All I've done this summer to prepare for TOT is run a 10k. I think heat played a huge factor in killing much of my motivation. I will still try to run as much of this race as possible and enjoy the characters and after party. It's Disney after all!

Exactly, it def. was the heat, and also unfort. the fact that my kids were home all summer long and DH working late hours so no time alone.
The disney run I am not too worried about because I want to go to have fun, its just the Diva run, I beat myself up because I feel like I have to out do myself:crazy2:

After this morning's "run", I'm totally stressed and not feeling any excitement about the race at all. In fact, I'm very tempted to drop out. :( Wed I did 3 miles without so much as a twinge; today, after 2 days off from running, I couldn't even finish 3 miles at a run/walk of 1:30/:45 before it felt like a knife in my knee. What's worse is that for the first time since this IT Band garbage started, even walking hurts. So does standing, sitting, laying down... I'm doing everything I'm supposed to and it's just getting worse each week.

After this morning's "run", I'm totally stressed and not feeling any excitement about the race at all. In fact, I'm very tempted to drop out. :( Wed I did 3 miles without so much as a twinge; today, after 2 days off from running, I couldn't even finish 3 miles at a run/walk of 1:30/:45 before it felt like a knife in my knee. What's worse is that for the first time since this IT Band garbage started, even walking hurts. So does standing, sitting, laying down... I'm doing everything I'm supposed to and it's just getting worse each week.

I'm sorry.

:hug: That is really frustrating! I know I am still struggling with my ankle junk...and having favored it for several weeks, my knee on the other side it bugging me. It makes me very frustrated. The gal at the running store who helped me to find my shoes said that running is about chasing pain. Being so new to running, I find this interesting. I figured it was just me always sore because I was out of shape or injured. (or old :rolleyes:)

I really hope that you are able to participate in the race. Will you be in a corral that affords you the time to walk the whole thing? Maybe your IT wont give you trouble if you don't try and run? I know you say it is starting to hurt at other times, but I wonder... you also said you had a 3mile run without a twinge of pain. I know I had my best run post injury on tuesday and then thursday it was much worse. Maybe small set backs are to be expected? I hope so, or like you... I worry about the race.

So, just read the final instructions (woohoo!) and looked at the map, but I still have a question... Can't quite figure out where the start area is. Would we be able to walk to the start from the Boardwalk area? Plan to take a bus, but would be nice to know I had a backup plan!

So, just read the final instructions (woohoo!) and looked at the map, but I still have a question... Can't quite figure out where the start area is. Would we be able to walk to the start from the Boardwalk area? Plan to take a bus, but would be nice to know I had a backup plan!

You could easily walk from Boardwalk to the start line. They want all the runners to meet at the parking lot of DHS so it's about a 15min easy walk from BW

Bibs go up to 10400 but I'm sure some won't start.

I've read in the past that they have had powerade on course. Does anyone know if they have offered powerade zero? That's what I drink but I was planning on just drinking whatever they offer. However my coach mentioned earlier this week that I shouldn't do my chews along with an electrolyte with sugar. He said it would be too much sugar and my tummy would likely have an adverse reaction to it. What about the nunn tabs? Do they replace electrolytes? Do they contain sugar?

Nuun tabs have sorbitol, not sugar. I stay away from them on a run as I have read they offer a laxative effect. No desire to take any chances on that, myself.

It's just straight Powerade and it's quite watered down. The first powerade / water station at the Disney Half in January was a shock - the powerade was almost pure water; you could barely taste that it was a sports drink. :scared1: Fortunately the next few stops weren't quite so diluted, but it is definitely not full strength. I've found that chews / beans are okay if you alternate your fuel stations. I will take the chews/gels, etc. with water and then at the next stop or the one after, just take the sports drink. That way it's not a shock to the tummy. :sick: I find that strategy also keeps my energy fairly level.

I think this is a great strategy! I'm usually not a sports drink person, but if it's hot and humid, intermixing it into the run might be a good idea. This sounds like a great way to do it. Of course I'll try it before race day~

Noo!!! Don't drop out! I can understand your pain/injury but at least TRY to do it, even if you have to walk! PrincessV, I've followed your posts and blog and ladies like you are an inspiration to a lot of people. You are trained, and really ready, so you can really do this even if you're not running the whole way. I think so many (myself included) get so wrapped up in the running part of these races that we forget how fun they really can be.
I keep needing to remind myself to relax and just have fun, I get race anxiety even though I know I'm prepared. About 2 weeks ago, I was discouraged about my times and energy, and not feeling the race, even though I've worked hard for it. I'm past that now and am very excited. I think this too will pass for you! Go for it girl!:maleficenMaleficent will put an evil spell on anyone who drops out. ;)

annmarieda, I think it's so true that running is chasing pain. :car: You've had your share of it and I wish the best for you in these next coming weeks too!

Cripey...I read a recent post from yesterday or the day before and it said that the Wave did *not* have the lunch buffet there when they were there recently and ate lunch off the regular menu. It mentioned that it may be only when the CR is hosting a large convention. So stick with your lunch plan and hopefully they'll have the regular lunch menu!

So....My DS is a huge Stich fan and we collect Stitch pins, so I love the pin! So glad we pre-ordered one.

I'm getting so excited! :cheer2:So much to do before then though!!:crazy2:

PrincessV, I'd encourage you not to drop out before you start. If you find that the pain is too great and you can't do it, then at least you would have known you gave it all you had. Plus, you'll get to enjoy however much you experience. My thoughts are to find the KT booth at the expo, get them to tape you up and start the race. Tylenol can be your friend that night, too. I'm betting once you cross that start line, you'll also cross that finish line.

You guys are awesome, truly. Thank you sooo much for the pep talk! :grouphug: Apparently I needed to indulge in a little self-pity, but you're absolutely right: I need to at least start and do the best I can. I mean, it's already paid for, right?! ;)

I'm in C and my fastest walking pace is right around 16:00, so I'm pretty confident I can't walk the whole thing without being swept, but if my Fuzzy math is right, if I can manage 3 miles at a 12:30 pace and the rest walking, I might be okay. And I'm encouraged after a stop at Dick's for an IT Band strap... and a try-on of Brooks Pure Cadence. Cripey, you were so right - amaaaaazing! I really dig Newtons, but the heel is a little too roomy and the lugs make them less than ideal for walking. The Pure Cadence hugs my heels like their in love and I could totally walk 10 miles in them right out of the box! Thank goodness for the 90-day exchange program at Road Runner Sports: I'm sending back the Newtons and should have the Brooks next week. That definitely boosted my outlook :thumbsup2

Yes, you'll be fine. I've been stressing about pace from the get-go. No matter what I do, I'm just slow. I still think I'll be fine though. Somehow I'm in C. I don't know how except that I registered literally the minute it opened up. My first few miles are always right around 16:30, even running 1:30 and walking 1. That's including a 5 minute walking warm up though. Then I find my groove and start getting faster. After the first mile or 2 my splits are always under 16, some around 15. I know I won't have time to stop for photos but I really don't think by starting in C the sweepers will have time to catch me before I find my groove and stay under pace. This is all assuming that Runkeeper and Nike plus are relatively accurate. I think they are because some of the trails I run have posted pre measured distances and it matches what my apps say. I feel relatively confident but I'm sure I'll be a bundle of nerves at the start. Hopefully, my energy will translate into excitement and adrenaline and not the horrid race anxiety I've experienced locally. I have to believe I can do this. And you have to believe you can do it too.

Princess V, try a cheap knee brace for your IT pain. I found that it helps mine a lot better than just the band.

You guys are awesome, truly. Thank you sooo much for the pep talk! :grouphug: Apparently I needed to indulge in a little self-pity, but you're absolutely right: I need to at least start and do the best I can. I mean, it's already paid for, right?! ;)

I'm in C and my fastest walking pace is right around 16:00, so I'm pretty confident I can't walk the whole thing without being swept, but if my Fuzzy math is right, if I can manage 3 miles at a 12:30 pace and the rest walking, I might be okay. And I'm encouraged after a stop at Dick's for an IT Band strap... and a try-on of Brooks Pure Cadence. Cripey, you were so right - amaaaaazing! I really dig Newtons, but the heel is a little too roomy and the lugs make them less than ideal for walking. The Pure Cadence hugs my heels like their in love and I could totally walk 10 miles in them right out of the box! Thank goodness for the 90-day exchange program at Road Runner Sports: I'm sending back the Newtons and should have the Brooks next week. That definitely boosted my outlook :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2

PrincessV said:
Cripey, you were so right - amaaaaazing! I really dig Newtons, but the heel is a little too roomy and the lugs make them less than ideal for walking. The Pure Cadence hugs my heels like their in love and I could totally walk 10 miles in them right out of the box! Thank goodness for the 90-day exchange program at Road Runner Sports: I'm sending back the Newtons and should have the Brooks next week. That definitely boosted my outlook :thumbsup2
I'm really lovin the pure cadence so far...I think I'm gonna try them on a 7 miler tomorrow. Hoping they feel ok! What color did you go with? (cuz that's the important part, right???) I couldn't resist the insanely neon pink!!! :)

And I agree with everyone else, don't give up! Give your legs plenty of rest the week of the race and do what you can...I bet we'll see ya at the finish line!!

minniebeth said:
Cripey...I read a recent post from yesterday or the day before and it said that the Wave did *not* have the lunch buffet there when they were there recently and ate lunch off the regular menu. It mentioned that it may be only when the CR is hosting a large convention. So stick with your lunch plan and hopefully they'll have the regular lunch menu!
:
Oh thanks! We're gonna keep the ADR there and keep our fingers crossed!

I put my race shirt together today...turned out cute! I'm waiting on the last 2 pieces of my outfit to come in and then I'll post a picture and maybe someone from here will recognize me at the race and say hello!

Princess V, are you talking an anti-inflammatory to reduce inflammation. I'm having achilles pain, that I believe is coming from tight calves. Now, I'm taking 200mg daily for the next few days, with the hope it helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter