• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official inaugural Tower of Terror 10 miler thread. September 29, 2012

Anyone else do dailymile.com? I just signed up an account to keep myself motivated and to stay on a better training track! :thumbsup2

Disney Runner...you might want to go ahead and sign up if you're still interested in running. Per Run Disney on Facebook yesterday the race is something like 94% full already.

Just so you don't miss out if you're wanting to do it!

Someone just posted on FB that it's showing 97% now...I wouldn't wait!

To clarify, I'm registered for the TOT. I'm not registered for the half I plan to run in June.

So, I was consistently running a sub 16 mm by running 20:40 intervals comfortably and was up to 5.5 miles maintaining this pace. Then as I was trying to increase my running intervals, I started struggling. I experimented with lots of different combinations and finally settled on 30:1. Technically, it's the same amount of running as 20:40s, but it seemed logical that instead of having to adjust to a new walk/run each time I increase my running, I would only be adjusting to a new run interval. I thought this would make my transitions to new intervals simpler. I had to slow it wayyyy down to get through the 30:1, so now I'm easily a minute slower than when I was running 20:40 intervals even though it feels much more comfortable. So, I just figured that as I increase the running, my time would take care of itself. I recently increased to 45:1, and now I'm even slower! So, do I continue to take it easy and eventually as I build my running intervals, I will get faster, or do I push it and struggle? I also started getting some mild leg pain after I started the 45:1. I'm going to rest them for a few days and then try 4 miles on Sunday at 30:1. I've been at this now for about 6 months, and I seem to be in a rut with my training. In fact, I've run 3 5ks this year, and each one has been slower than the one before. Any suggestions?

Anyone else do dailymile.com? I just signed up an account to keep myself motivated and to stay on a better training track! :thumbsup2

I am! I love it! And I agree that it's definitely a good way to help stay motivated!! I'm Missy H. on there, but I don't know how to tell you to find me! What do you search by?

Is arriving at MCO on Friday at 8:50pm too late? I will be running with my (almost) 14 year old daughter.

My husband would rather her not miss school on Friday since she will be missing Monday. I just hate not having any wiggle room.

Thanks for your help.

Is arriving at MCO on Friday at 8:50pm too late? I will be running with my (almost) 14 year old daughter.

My husband would rather her not miss school on Friday since she will be missing Monday. I just hate not having any wiggle room.

Thanks for your help.

I don't see why that would be a problem! We won't be coming in until later than that Friday night most likely...did the same thing when we came in for Wine & Dine last year too...I think it was around 11pm when we landed. Actually, I kind of like it that way for a night run the next day. It forces me to stay up waaaaay later than I normally would, which helps me sleep in saturday so I can be well rested and hopefully not sleepy for a night race saturday night.

I am! I love it! And I agree that it's definitely a good way to help stay motivated!! I'm Missy H. on there, but I don't know how to tell you to find me! What do you search by?

Hmm, I will try and find you! I have no idea how to search either!! But I'm Barbie L. on there, I will try and find you somehow lol!! :thumbsup2

ETA: Ok I did a search and there are 12 Missy H.'s on there LOL!! I don't know which one you are!!

Hmm, I will try and find you! I have no idea how to search either!! But I'm Barbie L. on there, I will try and find you somehow lol!! :thumbsup2

ETA: Ok I did a search and there are 12 Missy H.'s on there LOL!! I don't know which one you are!!

Ooops, didn't realize there were so many Missy H's!:lmao: If you can see the profile pic, I'm the one in the black running shirt wearing my Princess medal in front of the Princess background. Hopefully that will help.

I did a search for you as well, and there were 2 Barbie L's...I think I know which one you are, but didn't want to assume!

We'll find each other eventually! lol:)

Ooops, didn't realize there were so many Missy H's!:lmao: If you can see the profile pic, I'm the one in the black running shirt wearing my Princess medal in front of the Princess background. Hopefully that will help.

I did a search for you as well, and there were 2 Barbie L's...I think I know which one you are, but didn't want to assume!

We'll find each other eventually! lol:)

Ooh, you can add me too, I LOVE dailymile! I'm Katie S. (Katie Schwinn, having the whole name will probably help you find me, I'm the one doing the bridge with one leg in the air, lol). Anyone else on dailymile, feel free to add me!

So, I was consistently running a sub 16 mm by running 20:40 intervals comfortably and was up to 5.5 miles maintaining this pace. Then as I was trying to increase my running intervals, I started struggling. I experimented with lots of different combinations and finally settled on 30:1. Technically, it's the same amount of running as 20:40s, but it seemed logical that instead of having to adjust to a new walk/run each time I increase my running, I would only be adjusting to a new run interval. I thought this would make my transitions to new intervals simpler. I had to slow it wayyyy down to get through the 30:1, so now I'm easily a minute slower than when I was running 20:40 intervals even though it feels much more comfortable. So, I just figured that as I increase the running, my time would take care of itself. I recently increased to 45:1, and now I'm even slower! So, do I continue to take it easy and eventually as I build my running intervals, I will get faster, or do I push it and struggle? I also started getting some mild leg pain after I started the 45:1. I'm going to rest them for a few days and then try 4 miles on Sunday at 30:1. I've been at this now for about 6 months, and I seem to be in a rut with my training. In fact, I've run 3 5ks this year, and each one has been slower than the one before. Any suggestions?

I was in the same exact boat as you. What helped me was getting on the treadmill and after warming up on 3 mph for 5 minutes, putting it on 4 and not slowing it down AT ALL until I had reached a quarter of a mile. You get used to it. Then you will be able to ramp up your speed after you get used to this. It might take a couple of weeks. Do quarter mile repeats. Rest between each one. Maybe you can only do it once the first time. Then twice, then the next week three times (do your regular running too, but this treadmill workout is on its own). Then when 4 seems easy to you, do quarter mile repeats at 4.5, then 5. It works!

I second the suggestion of doing intervals. Another great way to do them is outside, if you have access to a track (local high school, etc.). Each lap is 1/4 mile, usually, so you can do all sorts of repeats there. Start out with 400 meter (1 lap) repeats, pushing yourself to run the whole lap, doing a slow or walking recovery lap in between each. You do this repeat, 4 times, 6 times, whatever you feel comfortable with. You can then keep bumping up, to 800 meter (2 lap) repeats, 1200 meter (3 lap repeats), etc. If you want, you can also time each running lap, and work on getting faster each time you go out. I know personally, I get even more motivated when I can see the actual progress I'm making. This is also good because you'll be doing it outside, just like the race, versus on a treadmill, which isn't quite the same.

Also, I truly feel like running is soooooo very mental. Sometimes, you honestly think you can't keep going, but it's all in your head. Work on pushing yourself a little more each time, and you'll probably be surprised by what you can do! I know I'm constantly surprising myself with my running!

And trust me, you'll get there! I started running in October of last year, and it took me about 37 minutes to run a 5k. Last Saturday I ran my first official race, a 5k, and pr'd with a 22:42 time. And this is for someone who never thought they could be a runner! So don't give up!! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter