Official inaugural Tower of Terror 10 miler thread. September 29, 2012

Is it just me, or is anyone else having trouble opening the Beginner's plan? When I click the link and the PDF opens, only one page downloads...

Thank you to everyone for the encouragement, I have signed up for the race :goodvibes I was wondering if anyone on here knows, can you buy the discounted tickets for family members or only for people running in the race?

Thank you to everyone for the encouragement, I have signed up for the race :goodvibes I was wondering if anyone on here knows, can you buy the discounted tickets for family members or only for people running in the race?

I believe you can buy tickets for family members. I thought I read that somewhere in the Disney information. I might be doing this, also.

I believe you can buy tickets for family members. I thought I read that somewhere in the Disney information. I might be doing this, also.

The phone agents for RunDisney events said I could buy tickets for all the family members joining us for our ToT trip. I was also able to book them hotel rooms (one room with actual runners, two rooms with nothing but "spectators"). The tickets are time-limited, so there's less potential for abusing the discount.

The phone agents for RunDisney events said I could buy tickets for all the family members joining us for our ToT trip. I was also able to book them hotel rooms (one room with actual runners, two rooms with nothing but "spectators"). The tickets are time-limited, so there's less potential for abusing the discount.

Can you add the dining package? Right now I have a 7 day free dining package at POR wondering if it'll be cheaper going through rundisney.

Can you add the dining package? Right now I have a 7 day free dining package at POR wondering if it'll be cheaper going through rundisney.

I was offered a discounted dining package when I booked rooms through rundisney, but that discount is small - I think like $5 off per day? (As opposed to the room discount, which was 30% for my dates at POR.) I wasn't interested in doing DDP, so I didn't pay much attention. You'd have to do the math on rundisney's room discount versus free dining with rack-rate rooms, given your dining patterns.
Also factor in the park tickets - I am guessing your free dining deal requires you to buy at least a day or two of park tickets at normal prices? The race discount on park tickets is pretty good.

I agree with all the advice above to do the math according to your own specifications.

There are 4 of us coming over from TX to run. 1 group is staying 3 days before going on a Disney Cruise the morning after the race...they are using the heavily discounted park tickets and just paying OOP for any food.

We are staying for 11 days with the race during the trip...it was a much better deal for us to get Free Dining as we eat a sit down meal daily (since we are there so long).

Both seem like great deals though respectively!

TX

Just wanted to say hi! I just signed myself, my husband and our 17 year old son up for this race! :banana: I did the Princess half in 2011 and havent run since so basically I am starting from scratch. :guilty: this will be my husbands first race of any kind. He is nervous and a bit excited. Our son, a hi school junior currently, runs cross country and track for school and has done a half and a few 5 Ks outside of school. So this will be no big deal for him! I'm looking forward to the race and all the discussions on this thread. Everyone is definitely encouraging and it's great to hear it! Happy training everyone!! :banana:

Just signed up, it's now showing 68% full. My daughter and one of her friends signed up as well, my daughter did the Tangled 5K with me and I did the Princess this year, this will be her first long race.

Question - I'm new to the running boards. I'm signed up for the ToT 5k in September. It will be my first Disney race. Is there a separate thread for the 5Ks?

I signed up myslef, my sister and my two teenagers! This will be my kids first Disney race and they are both so excited! My sister and I did the Princess 1/2 in '09 and '10, so they've heard the stories of how amazing Disney races can be!

Hi all! Signed up hubby and myself on Monday night. This will be our second night time race (did W&D relay in 2010) and 7th Disney race overall. ToT is my favorite attraction in all of WDW, so had to do it! :banana:

Hi all! Signed up hubby and myself on Monday night. This will be our second night time race (did W&D relay in 2010) and 7th Disney race overall. ToT is my favorite attraction in all of WDW, so had to do it! :banana:

How was it running a long race at night? I'm a morning person, big time! I'm up at 4 most days and by the time this race starts I'm usually sound asleep! I'm trying to switch my runs to evening runs, but even a 3 or 4 miler is hard right now. I'll be in Disney for a few days before the race, so hopefully I can get myself adjusted to a sleep in/stay up late scheudle. Also, I'm not used to eating all day long before a race. How did you handle that?

DH and I just signed up for this last night! Nothing like waiting until the last minute. :)

I've never run in a race in my life, and I'm currently training for the Expedition Everest Challenge as my first race. The plan is to keep training throughout the summer for this and then give the Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon a go in November.

Lord, help me! :worship:

How was it running a long race at night? I'm a morning person, big time! I'm up at 4 most days and by the time this race starts I'm usually sound asleep! I'm trying to switch my runs to evening runs, but even a 3 or 4 miler is hard right now. I'll be in Disney for a few days before the race, so hopefully I can get myself adjusted to a sleep in/stay up late scheudle. Also, I'm not used to eating all day long before a race. How did you handle that?

I'm like you...up at 4:30am most mornings for work and I have a hard time staying awake past 9:30pm on any given day! I was VERY worried about how I was going to do the W&D last year. I started preparing Friday really...I stayed up SUPER late on Friday...partly because we booked a really late flight into Orlando friday night, so that helped...this helped me sleep in later than usual saturday morning. We went for breakfast saturday, the expo, lunch and then made it a point to completely relax and be lazy (NAPS!) the rest of the day to conserve energy. We stayed at the CBR for that trip, so we took advantage of the hammoks on the beach! The energetic atmosphere of the race really helped too so I didn't have any problems. To further ward off the drowsies, I used a caffienated version of the gels I had been training with...Mocha Cliff shots. Honestly, I probably over did the mochas and should have taken only one with caffiene because I had a REALLY hard time getting to sleep when we got back to our hotel at 3am :) I had a serious case of the jitters :) And, I think I would have been fine with no caffiene too...just on adrenaline and race atmosphere...I just wanted to be sure. Alot of people say to work some late night long runs into your training too...I never did that, though it may be helpful to you.

Cripey and jmv223, I hear you. Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise. Here are my concerns you have both addressed. I usually don't eat much before a race or use caffeine in my bars/gels, because I felt this contributed to the GI issues I had when I first started running. My plan will be watch what I eat that day, as well as the day before the race. I know Coca-Cola can keep me up, but lately cherry coke seems to give mean stomach pain. I think it may be the sugar. A coke itself, may lead to pit stops I want to avoid during the race. As for running at night, I may move my runs to the warmest part of the day. It will be dependent on the early fall temperatures here. It will be in the 70's during the TOT race. In 2009, I did all my training for the Princess half indoors. And that race went just fine.

We are morning people too. IIRC, we had a light breakfast in our room that morning, then made lunch our biggest meal of the day (pasta.) Ate light again that evening. I remember standing in line for the bus with a banana in my hand, so I must've eaten that sometime before the race started.

Went to the expo that morning. Didn't go to the parks at all that day. We also went back to our room and took naps during the afternoon. We stayed for the after party just long enough to get our free taste and free sip in Epcot and then headed back to our room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter