Official inaugural Tower of Terror 10 miler thread. September 29, 2012

Hi specialks!

I'm almost jealous of your newbie status, I've been to the parks over a thousand times but I still remember that first time magic! You're going to have a blast!

An after-race party involves having an area of the park (though usually not the entire park) open to only people who ran and their guests. Typically only a few 'e-ticket' rides are open, in the case of the TOT 10miler the two big rides will be the ones listed on the RunDisney page (Star Tours, Toy Story, Rockin' Roller Coaster, and the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror). Restaurants and food vendors in that area will be open. While some post-race refreshments will be free, expect to have to buy food/drinks later in the night. Bands and stage acts will play, but don't count on seeing the day time shows, like the Beauty and the Beast stage show that takes place near TOT. The really neat part of an after-race party is the reduced amount of people. It feels awesome to walk down the street of a theme park with just a few people around, knowing that the place was opened up just for you and your 'friends'.

so does that mean they won't sell tickets to the general public like they did for Wine and Dine? I hardly considered that a "private" party after the race.:headache:

I'm 99% sure I'm going to do this. However, I just signed up for my first-ever full marathon today (USAF Marathon) which is on 15 Sep, so as long as I don't severely injure myself, 10 miles should be 'nothing'. ;) I also intend to do the W&D Half in Nov, as it is my birthday weekend and my only opportunity for CtC (running Tink this month).

This will be my 3rd "Inaugural" Disney race, which is pretty good considering '09 was the first time I ever ran Disney races - the final Race for the Taste & ToT 13K. Of course, these are the two races that ended & became the W&D Half. :)

so does that mean they won't sell tickets to the general public like they did for Wine and Dine? I hardly considered that a "private" party after the race.:headache:

Yeah, these after race parties are far from private. Id like to imagine myself walking down the street at Hollywood Studies with a reduced amount of people, but those last two Wine and Dine after race parties were way over crowded!

I'm leaning towards signing up for this race right now, especially since I won't be able to do Disneyland this year. I still have to figure out if I can do it financially and make sure my work schedule can handle it, but I should have that figured out before they open registration.

I'm excited to see what exactly they have planned for the race!

Hi! I'm new to the world of running & was getting excited to try out the 5K during the Wine & Dine weekend, but I see that it's been moved now. We'll be at WDW 9/26-10/6 this year. Does anyone know if there may be a smaller/shorter race offered in addition to the 10 miler TOT race that weekend? Or is that typically not the case? TIA! :goodvibes

Hi! I'm new to the world of running & was getting excited to try out the 5K during the Wine & Dine weekend, but I see that it's been moved now. We'll be at WDW 9/26-10/6 this year. Does anyone know if there may be a smaller/shorter race offered in addition to the 10 miler TOT race that weekend? Or is that typically not the case? TIA! :goodvibes

I think I read somewhere (Disney Blog?) that they would have a 5K for this event as well.

I think I read somewhere (Disney Blog?) that they would have a 5K for this event as well.

There will be a 5k in conjuction with the 10 miler, so watch for registration on Feb 15th!

This will be the first time I run Disney, so I have a few questions:

How busy are the parks on race weekends?

My son also wants to run Disney, he will be 7 when we go and will do the kids race. How are the kids races conducted, is it very loud and how do they start the race? (my son has high functioning autism) He loves to run and has done many childrens races before but loud noises can be a bit much for him, so I want to be prepared.

I know registration for the race won't be until next month, but will they release any information, fees, host hotels, etc before the registration date?

Thanks in advance for any help with my questions

My son also wants to run Disney, he will be 7 when we go and will do the kids race. How are the kids races conducted, is it very loud and how do they start the race? (my son has high functioning autism) He loves to run and has done many childrens races before but loud noises can be a bit much for him, so I want to be prepared.

I know registration for the race won't be until next month, but will they release any information, fees, host hotels, etc before the registration date?

Thanks in advance for any help with my questions

This time of year will be the start of the Food & Wine Festival, so Epcot could be crowded, but not necessarily the entire resort.

My daughter has done the kids races the last couple of years and she loves it. They have a DJ getting everyone warmed up in the infield - which could be considered loud - but I wouldn't say it's an overall loud experience. They are cheering the kids on over the PA (DJ booth) as they come across the finish line too.

I'm not sure the fees/host hotels/etc will come out before - probably same day, but maybe a week or so before? Regardless, the price will remain the same for a few weeks before they go up, so you'll have time to make plans/decisions before registering.

I'm really excited for this. While I haven't run any of the previous ToT races, the fact that I'll be going to bed around 2 or 3 instead of leaving my hotel at that time is REALLY appealing! :)

It's also going to be my boyfriend's first race-- so I have what, 35 weeks to go from couch to 10M? EASY.

We went last year during this same time for Wine and Dine, and it wasn't that bad. We could get on the rides we wanted and had a blast. As a matter of fact, I'd say the after party was probably the busiest time we saw the park. It was really slow both years I've been to marathon weekend as well, so I'd say the crowds probably won't be too bad.

I don't know about the kid races, but for the grown-ups, they shoot off fireworks. Disney is usually pretty good about making accommodations, so you may want to see what they can do.

I'm in! Was planning to be there that weekend already.

I am not a runner at all right now. From the information I have found I am going to start with a Couch-to-5K first.

I might crawl accross the finish but I will do this

I'm really excited for this. While I haven't run any of the previous ToT races, the fact that I'll be going to bed around 2 or 3 instead of leaving my hotel at that time is REALLY appealing! :)

It's also going to be my boyfriend's first race-- so I have what, 35 weeks to go from couch to 10M? EASY.

I have not run the ToT either but did do the Princess Half in 2011 and dreaded getting up so early! Especially since we didn't go to bed until midnight because of the excitement!

This race will be my husbands first also. The 35 weeks to go from couch to 10 pm cracked me up!! :rotfl: I am going to have to share that one with him!!!

We went last year during this same time for Wine and Dine, and it wasn't that bad. We could get on the rides we wanted and had a blast. As a matter of fact, I'd say the after party was probably the busiest time we saw the park. It was really slow both years I've been to marathon weekend as well, so I'd say the crowds probably won't be too bad.

I don't know about the kid races, but for the grown-ups, they shoot off fireworks. Disney is usually pretty good about making accommodations, so you may want to see what they can do.

This time of year will be the start of the Food & Wine Festival, so Epcot could be crowded, but not necessarily the entire resort.

My daughter has done the kids races the last couple of years and she loves it. They have a DJ getting everyone warmed up in the infield - which could be considered loud - but I wouldn't say it's an overall loud experience. They are cheering the kids on over the PA (DJ booth) as they come across the finish line too.

I'm not sure the fees/host hotels/etc will come out before - probably same day, but maybe a week or so before? Regardless, the price will remain the same for a few weeks before they go up, so you'll have time to make plans/decisions before registering.

Thank you both, that information helps a lot. He is really excited about it, I'll just have him wear his headphones that day. :goodvibes

I am in and psyched! I am doing my first half marathon this May and this will be a great follow-up to keep me on track. DH promised once I start running this level Disney races would be in. Sounds like a great first one!!! My parents are joining us so they can sit with the kids and DH and I can ride all the rides after the race!!

Awww I so wish I could do this race...coming off of marathon weekend I was hoping this would be sometime later in the fall, but it falls right at the end of my honeymoon at Disney :lmao: don't think the hubby to be would be too excited about another run, so Ill hold off for this one...good luck to everyone!!

I made reservations for the weekend in anticipation of the W&D, so I will do this instead. ToT was the first Disney race I did, and it turned out to be the last time they ran it. I wonder if they will do the same thing with the clues along the route to find the killer? And I hope they make the corrals more organized, when I did it last there were no corrals, just signs with pace times, which it seemed so one paid any attention to.

:yay:Waiting for details to come out before making a decision, but I really want in on this one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter