Official "Friends of the Fort" Weight Loss Group!

First of all congrats Rog on gettin your kid through school. That's one down.(now you gotta pay for college)

Second- I'm glad i'm not the only one who fell off the wagon this weekend. I went to my grandma's today. Thought i had prepared myself but fell apart when the red velvet cake came out, and then a piece of that pineapple orange cake and then went ahead and ate the lunch she had prepared. I can't believe i'm doing so bad this weekend and only started the diet last Monday. I usually don't fall apart this early in the game. I will start again in the morning and hopefully redeem myself with lots of exercise this week. I will not weigh in the morning i will instead wait until Friday.

Rog, congratulations to you, your wife, and your daughter. I'm glad she made you proud with her behavior after graduation. I kind of wish that our school around here would do something like that.

Foodwise, this weekend can easily be summed up by a quote from Stand By Me. "Oh, Margee just screwed the pooch." (That's for all those old Saturday Night Live/ Mary Catherine Gallgher fans.) Much like Rog, we had some celebrating of our own and it wasn't because my 5th 29th birthday is coming up tomorrow. No, it was because our son learned how to use the bathroom. College graduation is just around the corner, I know it ;). Anyway, for his present, DH and I took him to this play called Ride Makerz to make his own RC car. Then, he chose to eat at Chipotle. I don't know if you've heard, but Chipotle has the worst rating as far as caloric intake for all fast food restaurants. I guess it wouldn't be that bad if we hadn't tried out the new pizza place for dinner.

That added to both my mom and MIL making cakes for my 29+5 birthday that I felt inclined to eat and I know that I can't even touch the scale until Tuesday.

On the exercise front, my son and I ran around the playground for an hour. Let me tell you, he's harder than any personal trainer. He had me climbing things and going through stuff. The best part was when he asked me to climb up this circular cargo net. First of all, I barely fit in there (hence the sausage reference) and it killed me to climb up the thing. When I got to the top, I pulled myself on the little platform like a beached whale. I thought I was going to die:eek: . then he patted me on the head and said, "Good job mom, do it again." I think he's got a career in torture in his future.

I'm wondering if all of that climbing, running, and sliding burned off a burrito bol.:rolleyes1

ok I worked from 5 30 am til 10 pm yesterday so my activity level was through the roof...today slow start....followed by bad foods but Max work activity til 2 30...been on the road since....not sure if I'll even break even after 2 meals of fries and burgers this weekend...oh the GUILT!!!!!!!!!! I seldom eat this bad and just the thought of it makes me sick...but tomorrow is another day....hopefully the work and bad food at least balanced out ???

Good morning! It's monday and the start of a brand new week! Lots of celebrating going on! Congrats to all for their various reasons!!! For those who feel they've fallen off the wagon...just get back on! Life has celebrations. You can't deny yourself. Just don't celebrate every day...or even every week! Just call it fuel to get you through to the next celebration, maybe have a goal to achieve before that time.:goodvibes

I guess my weekend wasn't too awful. We went to busch gardens and colonial williamsburg, so I did a lot of walking. Plus playing on the playground at the the campgound. Swinging can really use muscles!!!!! I decided that there were no calories on Mother's day, but looking back, I really didn't consume nearly enough calories for it to be considered a free day. Bummer. I really should have taken advantage of that! My DD made me a choclatey coffee and a blueberry waffle for breakfast. I decided I would have a burger for dinner (I don't remember the last time I had one), but could only eat half. I should have had lots of chocolate or something.:laughing:

Anyway, I have my goal of being down 10 lbs before I go to Europe. So I'm going hardcore now!!!!! I bought a pretty "springtime in Paris" dress that fits maybe a little too well. I want to wear it to the eiffel tower and feel good about it!!! :rolleyes1

What are you all doing for exercise this week???

DH and I are going walking/rolling. Which I am suppose to be doing right now, he is sitting in the kitchen staring at me:rolleyes1 I'm pretending he isn't there.:surfweb: Anyway, my DD9 was told by her doctor that she needs to watch her weight because her BMI is too high. Whatever, it really irratated me because she isn't large. Big for her age maybe, but, she is solid and everything is pretty much in proportion. It isn't like she is all belly or something. Besides she is REALLY developing. So of course now she is going psycho with what she is eating(lets start an eating disorder now shall we:mad: ) I told her I would walk with her in the evenings, so I will be getting in some walking from now on. I also am waiting on my Wii Fit to come then I will be an excercising machine!
7_5_131.gif

DH and I are going walking/rolling. Which I am suppose to be doing right now, he is sitting in the kitchen staring at me:rolleyes1 I'm pretending he isn't there.:surfweb: Anyway, my DD9 was told by her doctor that she needs to watch her weight because her BMI is too high. Whatever, it really irratated me because she isn't large. Big for her age maybe, but, she is solid and everything is pretty much in proportion. It isn't like she is all belly or something. Besides she is REALLY developing. So of course now she is going psycho with what she is eating(lets start an eating disorder now shall we:mad: ) I told her I would walk with her in the evenings, so I will be getting in some walking from now on. I also am waiting on my Wii Fit to come then I will be an excercising machine!
7_5_131.gif

I'm sorry, but that is just wrong! Does that doc not have the sense to know that is the worst thing to say to a pre-teen girl????? Mention it to her parents, suggest all the yummy fruits she should have for dessert for her HEALTH, not for the weight! If a doc told my DD11 that, I would be finding a new doc. Anytime my daughter mentions the word calories, I tell her that if she eats smart, only eats when she is hungry and gets outdoors to play everyday, than everything will work out. As growing girls, "calorie" should not be a part of their vocabulary!

I'm chiming in here late, but I'm in too. I've actually been doing pretty well. About a year ago, I decided I needed to lose some weight. I started by just cutting the junk. I swapped from full blown Mountain Dew to Diet Mountain Dew and water, no more chips and dip is allowed in the house, I've stayed away from the candy jars and donuts folks keep bringing into work, so basically cutting the carbs and junk. However, I'm not eating any healthier or different as far as my meals go, except for skipping desert. I'm not really exercising either, but over the summer, I'm a lot more active with the camper and the yard work and I bought a bicycle to get around campgrounds instead of using hubbys ECV. To date I've dropped 47 pounds. I've gone from a 18 to a 14. (Just bought a bunch of summer slacks and they're all 14s) :banana: I've pretty much come to a standstill and holding steady for about the last two months. So I guess I need to start walking more, and actually doing better with my regular meals. Also, I'm having surgery in July, and will be doing NOTHING for at least 3 weeks. I've told DH that not one single fattening thing will be allowed in the house while I'm home.

I'd like to drop another 30-40 pounds, but really want to do it slowly, cause quite honestly, can't afford a whole nother wardrobe just yet.

Had a pretty good weekend. I did splurge a little yesterday with a cheeseburger and fries for dinner and a small piece of cake. I ate good the rest of the day and weekend. So I figured one meal is not going to kill me or ruin my efforts. I did not get my 10,000 steps in either because I had a lazy day thanks to DH giving me some mommy time in front of TV. I did get in over 14,000 steps on Sat. which was good. I am really trying to focus on all of the positive things I did and not the one "bad" meal and lazy day.

Anyway, my DD9 was told by her doctor that she needs to watch her weight because her BMI is too high. Whatever, it really irratated me because she isn't large. Big for her age maybe, but, she is solid and everything is pretty much in proportion. It isn't like she is all belly or something. Besides she is REALLY developing. So of course now she is going psycho with what she is eating(lets start an eating disorder now shall we:mad: ) I told her I would walk with her in the evenings, so I will be getting in some walking from now on. I also am waiting on my Wii Fit to come then I will be an excercising machine!
7_5_131.gif
Sorry to hear that your dr. said this. I know you'll keep a close eye on her.

We are in the middle of a similar situation but not with the dr. My freakin niece (no "dear" right now) who is 8, told my DD8 that if she was an adult she would be fat like her mother (me). And then she threatened her that if she told anyone she would never speak to her again. I told my DSis who confronted her and the kid apologized but the damage is already done. We now have to watch our DD because she tries not to eat meals in attempt to lose weight. And to make matters worse, my niece weighs more then my DD but DD can't see that. :headache: She's got a small belly but nothing that she won't grow out of when she shoots up again.

I had really hoped I'd be on here a whole lot more commiserating with ya'll, but we've been trying to squeeze in as much family time as possible before we head back out overseas. Honestly, I was all prepared to post on Friday, (I think that's when most of us are weighing in), but my folks took us to a fancy German restaurant for my birthday last week, and instead of my weight coming down, it went up!!!!:scared1: :scared1:

It's back down to what I started with 2 weeks ago (or whenever it was this thread started), so I feel like Im starting over. Ugh!

117 AGAIN....

I'm sorry, but that is just wrong! Does that doc not have the sense to know that is the worst thing to say to a pre-teen girl????? Mention it to her parents, suggest all the yummy fruits she should have for dessert for her HEALTH, not for the weight! If a doc told my DD11 that, I would be finding a new doc. Anytime my daughter mentions the word calories, I tell her that if she eats smart, only eats when she is hungry and gets outdoors to play everyday, than everything will work out. As growing girls, "calorie" should not be a part of their vocabulary!

I completely agree, I did say something after. I have gotten DD to see that right now she is going to be "growing" more because of the developmental process and that she will even out at some point. I told her all her friends will go through it too, but she will be done. It bothered me when she told her to cut back on snacks and get more activity because she doesn't have a clue what DD eats. She actually eats better than all of us all the time, and now that it is getting nice she is outside from the time homework is done to when it is time to come in. Then when my DD6 went for her apt. the doc said she was perfect and if you ask me she needs to put on weight.:sad2:

Anyway, to be back OT, I had an AWESOME day today, and I feel great!! DH and I went for a nice walk, and I have had a fairly easy time eating right today.:woohoo:

Sorry to hear that your dr. said this. I know you'll keep a close eye on her.

We are in the middle of a similar situation but not with the dr. My freakin niece (no "dear" right now) who is 8, told my DD8 that if she was an adult she would be fat like her mother (me). And then she threatened her that if she told anyone she would never speak to her again. I told my DSis who confronted her and the kid apologized but the damage is already done. We now have to watch our DD because she tries not to eat meals in attempt to lose weight. And to make matters worse, my niece weighs more then my DD but DD can't see that. :headache: She's got a small belly but nothing that she won't grow out of when she shoots up again.

Poor baby.:flower3: Unfortunately girls at younger ages have become more occupied with looks and appereances than we ever were, yet they are not there emotionally to handle it. It is true, they are still in the bulk out, shoot up stage of life, but they don't understand that. It is really sad that society is so stuck on being stick thin, that our little girls grow up with that thrown in their face. It is ridiculous. I have told both my girls that yes, I am trying to loose weight, but not because I want to be skinny, but because I want to be healthier to be able to play and run with them and have more energy. It's tough to be a little girl these days.

Good job today seabee. I had to make myself get on the treadmill tonight because i hadn't all weekend. I wanted to get in an hr but only made it about 40min. before i had to get the neighbors kid home and my kids ready for bed. I guess its better than nothing. I did good eating except for a poptart. I don't know why i ate it.

Hi All! Congrats to all that lost a few pounds! I actually lost 2, but I'm with Rog, they may show back up tomorrow, then be gone the next day....so does that mean I lost 4???? I wish!!!!

As for the weekend, I didn't quite fall off the wagon. I held on for dear life while it dragged me behind! What I ate wasn't so healthy, but because it was Prom day at the salon, it was all I ate! As a mother of boys, I don't know how you all survive your girls....I don't know who is worse on Prom day, the teenage girl or her helicopter mother! Anyway, being busy kept me from stuffing my face out of frustration!

Hey Poly, am I correct in understanding you camped in Williamsburg? I've been thinking of doing that this summer. Where did you stay? Got any tips?

Poor baby.:flower3: Unfortunately girls at younger ages have become more occupied with looks and appereances than we ever were, yet they are not there emotionally to handle it. It is true, they are still in the bulk out, shoot up stage of life, but they don't understand that. It is really sad that society is so stuck on being stick thin, that our little girls grow up with that thrown in their face. It is ridiculous. I have told both my girls that yes, I am trying to loose weight, but not because I want to be skinny, but because I want to be healthier to be able to play and run with them and have more energy. It's tough to be a little girl these days.
Seabee - that is exactly what I tell my DD. I'm losing weight to be healthy. But because I had gastric bypass I eat very little and she sees that. I stress to her that I'm doing it under the supervision of the doctor and a nutritionist and NOT on my own. She's been to both appts with me so she understands but emotionally its tough. Fortunately she's still at the stage that I can tell when she's hungry and her hunger always wins out if I put the food in front of her. You are right that life is tough for little girls.

And I lost 2 pounds this week. I thought I would do better but alas I discovered Skinny Cow this weekend. I had 3 of the Skinny Dippers in about 36 hours. Hmmm, I think I will leave those evil things to the rest of the family and settle for fruit. But they taste so heavenly...:cloud9:

What are Skinny Dippers????

Hows the surgery results going for you Eeyore? Our surgeries are VERY similar, I had the gastric sleeve, was going to get the lap-band, but it was too much maintenance and not a high enough success rate and my Dr said the success rate is even lower for males...so he talked me into the sleeve, and its been working fairly well for me. Do you feel actual pain if you eat a bite ot two to many?

In case anyone is wondering, or thought the 2 operations were the same thing....heres a pic of what the sleeve consists of...the pouch part of the stomach is completely removed from the body, and the remaining stomach walls are sewn together like a sleeve....
pic-vertical-gastrectomy-san-mateo-.jpg

See now you show me pictures like that, and I am chickening out agian. :scared1: I have had so many surgeries go bad that I am scared to death! :eek:

HI Rog -
Skinny Cow makes ice cream with no sugar added. The Skinny Dippers are the smallest and have the least amount of sugar. They are the size of an ice pop. 80 cals, 3 grams of fat and 7 grams of sugar!!! They have them in vanilla, caramel and mint. And all are coated (on the top half) with chocolate. Ooohhhh they are soooo good!! :cloud9: :cloud9: And of course my DD doesn't like caramel so someone had to eat them.:rolleyes1

My surgeon told me he wouldn't give me the band. I have too much to lose for the band and I agree that I didn't want those fills. Too much of a hassle for me.

As for overeating, I do get chest pain. It feels like an elephant is sitting on your chest. I don't do it often as I try to measure everything. If I'm out to eat I err on the side of caution, eat less and take the rest home in a doggy bag. I had surgery 5 1/2 months ago and I'm down 111 pounds (counting the 2 from this morning). I'm pleased but I have a long way to go. I'm more then halfway to the surgeon's goal so I guess I should be pleased but I want to lose it all right away. Oh well.

Glad you're doing well. I put my ticker on the other board. I don't have the guts to put one on here. :scared:
The gastric sleeve looks similar to the duodenol switch. Do you know what the difference is? My surgeon only did the RNY and the Lap band so my choices were limited. And of course the insurance only covered the two anyway. I wouldn't want to pay privately for this.

Your insurance paid? Wow, that was one of my excuses for not doing it, I didn't want to pay! I have all kinds of medical reasons to get it, arthritis, chronic pain, need knees replaced, ankle fused, borderline high blood pressure and herniated discs in back. I wonder if they will pay for me?

Now if I could just get past the fear, and I still worry that I will "miss" eating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter