*****Official February 2015 Thread! Come check in and chat!*****

I totally understand how stressful it is travelling for the first time with your child. Whether they are 18 months or 5.

Our first trip with my son (he was 11 months) was stressful, I didn't know if he would sleep on the plane, cry, if his ears would hurt him etc. I packed for every single scenario. And them he surprised us and was fine. My point is there's no way to predict how your child will react but I totally understand the stress.

A few pieces of advice:

First, before you board the plane let your kid play, walk around, etc. Don't make them sit still. They're going to have to once they board the plane. Most airports have a play area, we would always find it and let our son race around etc. so once we boarded it was like going on a car ride, you have to sit still-ish etc.

Second, if your child is still in diapers take 1 or 2 and a small wipes case and put them in a ziplock, etc and then put it in the seat pocket in front of you. This way if you do end up having your change your child on board you don't have to go through your entire bag to find your essentials.

Third, if you are travelling with both a car seat and a stroller make sure you have a bag for both. It makes carrying them through the airport easier. We had a duffel type bag for our Britax that worked great (it was a specific car seat bag) so we could carry it over our shoulder. When we boarded the plane we would take it out of the bag. Also, we would put our stroller into it's bag prior to having our tickets scanned and going down the jetway. There are always a lot of families packed there trying to collapse their strollers etc before they board and by having your stroller already collapsed and in a bag it saves you a few minutes. Plus like suggestion #1 it gives your child the opportunity to walk down the jet way.

Best of luck to those of you flying for the first time, I'm sure it will be great and you'll be pleasantly surprised :wizard:

Hey everybody :wave2:

My mom, DD, and I will be there Feb 25-March 1.

Any recommendations for transport from LGB to DLH?

Thanks so much!!

Welcome to the thread, I have added you to the first post! The only recommendation I would have would be to either grab a taxi or check out your shuttle options. You can find shuttle coupons here:

Anaheim OC

In glad we hashed out the castle last month. Now that it's happening, I feel much more like oh well, moving on, about it. But if this was my first time hearing about it, that'd be tough to swallow!

Agree.

Why nervous?? Well, I have never flown with DD before or traveled anywhere more than a 1.5 hour drive away from home...so...I can see myself overpacking for her especially being a guy and packing for a child and a female child at that, where for me, for the 5 days I probably could get away with just a carry on.

My daughter is 5yo and very much a little princess. She has done a 3 hour return drive once and with her iPad she was really good. But to be confined to a chair for 3.5 hours??? I am not sure how she will be on the plane, especially after I am getting her up at 4:30 AM for the flight to LAX...and that darn 2 hour hurry up and wait period at the airport before boarding.

Just so many things to think about, and plan for.

I am sure she will be fine. It's not like she will be strapped down in a seat for the entire 3.5 hours, she can get up and walk the aisle if needed. The wait is a pain but if she has her iPad and maybe some snacks she should be fine!

And re: overpacking...I'm of the mind that you really can't do that and if you do, what's the harm in having more choice in clothes? :thumbsup2

I've flown a lot with my kids, they always do surprisingly well (and my kids tend to be the type to be obstinate about things...). Even my non sleeping kids actually sleep on the plane. I think it's a combo of the new things to look at and the amazing white noise and vibrations from the engines.

The getting ON the plane is the hardest part, once you are on, it's actually pretty decent. Good luck!

Neither of my kids have EVER slept on the plane-LOL. :rotfl2: Must be the exception. But thankfully we are older now, so easily entertained for the most part.

I totally understand how stressful it is travelling for the first time with your child. Whether they are 18 months or 5.

Our first trip with my son (he was 11 months) was stressful, I didn't know if he would sleep on the plane, cry, if his ears would hurt him etc. I packed for every single scenario. And them he surprised us and was fine. My point is there's no way to predict how your child will react but I totally understand the stress.

A few pieces of advice:

First, before you board the plane let your kid play, walk around, etc. Don't make them sit still. They're going to have to once they board the plane. Most airports have a play area, we would always find it and let our son race around etc. so once we boarded it was like going on a car ride, you have to sit still-ish etc.

Second, if your child is still in diapers take 1 or 2 and a small wipes case and put them in a ziplock, etc and then put it in the seat pocket in front of you. This way if you do end up having your change your child on board you don't have to go through your entire bag to find your essentials.

Third, if you are travelling with both a car seat and a stroller make sure you have a bag for both. It makes carrying them through the airport easier. We had a duffel type bag for our Britax that worked great (it was a specific car seat bag) so we could carry it over our shoulder. When we boarded the plane we would take it out of the bag. Also, we would put our stroller into it's bag prior to having our tickets scanned and going down the jetway. There are always a lot of families packed there trying to collapse their strollers etc before they board and by having your stroller already collapsed and in a bag it saves you a few minutes. Plus like suggestion #1 it gives your child the opportunity to walk down the jet way.

Best of luck to those of you flying for the first time, I'm sure it will be great and you'll be pleasantly surprised :wizard:

I agree with all of this! DS was 13 months old the first time he flew and it was so much easier than I had nightmares it would be!

I would add a few other tips:

Snacks, especially ones that your child might not normally be allowed, are really helpful! I always buy little containers of Pringles for DS and if on the plane he had chips for breakfast, who really cares?

If you are flying with a child in diapers, pack spare outfits. Yes outfits, plural! And pack a change of clothes for you too. If the unfortunate blowout happens, you will be happy you did.

I had DS travel in footie pj's when he was little, it was easier to change him and I never had to worry about missing socks or shoes. It was also comfortable for him to fall asleep.

So, February travelers, tell me how you are looking at the bright side with all the refurbishments. I saw pictures yesterday and it felt like my bubble popped:sad2: . I am considering cancelling but would prefer to find another way to get my head around the closures big and small.

I'm hoping there will be less people :) My friend went last week and said it was marvelously empty.

We just bought our APs! Woohoo!

We are still going to get a family picture taken in front of the tarp. Anyone else? It's our son's first trip so I think when he's older he will have a good laugh about it.

We are going to have our first ever family/group picture in front of the covered castle on this trip! :-) :woohoo:

I have two friends at the Land right now and both have said no lines longer than 20 minutes so far!! YAHOO! One did say the refurbishments were a bummer but all his pics look like they are all having a blast still. Can't wait!!!

So, February travelers, tell me how you are looking at the bright side with all the refurbishments. I saw pictures yesterday and it felt like my bubble popped:sad2: . I am considering cancelling but would prefer to find another way to get my head around the closures big and small.

I just keep telling the kids, my son in particular who is VERY upset with some of these closures, that the park will seem empty compared to our Christmas trip and we'll get to experience other things that we don't normally do. I'm really pushing the whole Iron Man thing, which we've never seen, so he's pretty excited about that.

Okay, I hate that things are closed. Splash Mountain is one of our favorites and I kept saying I was fine with it because it would be cooler outside and we hate being wet and cold. Welllllllllllll the weather has been pretty nice there so.... :rotfl: The one I'm most upset with is the railroad. We LOVE riding that around the park when we are tired. It's a nice break without it actually feeling like we're taking a break.

In all honesty though, we'll still have a great trip and will not let any sort of closure change that. Fortunately, we know we will be back (March 2016 for part of our honeymoon!! :love: ) so what we miss this time, we'll see next time! We are fortunate but I totally understand those that are upset because this might be a one time trip for them. :(

One thing I was wondering is the loss of revenue Disney will have from all of the photopass pictures that they won't be able to sell. I would assume the castle picture is one of the most popular in the park (not to mention the loss from Splash being closed), so they will be losing quite a bit of money with the castle being covered. Soooooooo I was wondering if they would insert some Disney magic and still be able to "photoshop" (no idea what program they use lol) the castle in the background in order to still do the pictures? I would be okay with that! We really wanted a picture in front of the castle for my son's 12th birthday, so I'm hoping they do that. If not, a picture in front of Mickey and Walt will have to do.

It's hard sometimes but I just keep thinking of the positives.

• We're going to be in Disneyland.
  • There will be much lower crowd levels.
  • I get to see my awesome sister in law.
  • We will get to do things that we haven't done yet.
  • It's freakin' Disneyland!
  • We got a smoking hot deal and can finally stay at the Grand Californian.
  • Even though my favourite ride is closed (Soarin'), the Critter Country closure does not even get on my radar, we all hate splash and DS can take or leave Pooh.
  • Instead of dealing with winter, we are looking at temps into the 20's.
  • At the end of the day, a bad day in Disneyland is better than a great day at work.

And lastly, I try not to worry about things that I can't change. I can't make Disneyland open any of the closed rides, I can't cancel our trip (well, I could but we would be out a lot of money) and I can't uncover the castle. What I can do is make sure that we all enjoy ourselves as much as possible!

I can't change the closures but I can change my attitude about them so that's what I do! :hippie:

We are now 3 weeks out, really need to start getting things ready.

I cannot believe how ugly that tarp is on the castle. Every other time they have been remodeling buildings, train station, ect. they do a nice printed tarp. Now, with the main focal point of Disneyland, they just put an ugly brown tarp up? That just don't make sense to me. I knew it was going to be covered, but come on.

I am hoping for smaller crowds with the refurb schedule and the measles outbreak. I'd like to get myself and DH booster shots but not sure if we will get around to it or not, but I think we should be good even if we don't.

We are now 3 weeks out, really need to start getting things ready.

I cannot believe how ugly that tarp is on the castle. Every other time they have been remodeling buildings, train station, ect. they do a nice printed tarp. Now, with the main focal point of Disneyland, they just put an ugly brown tarp up? That just don't make sense to me. I knew it was going to be covered, but come on.

I am hoping for smaller crowds with the refurb schedule and the measles outbreak. I'd like to get myself and DH booster shots but not sure if we will get around to it or not, but I think we should be good even if we don't.

Keep in mind, it just went up yesterday. I'm still hoping once they get all of the initial stuff up, they will add the "nice tarp". A girl can dream... :rotfl:

I'm going for my booster shot this morning (which is why I'm on DIS instead of being at work lol). I figured better safe than sorry, plus my father and co-workers were all on my butt about it :confused3:rotfl:

Keep in mind, it just went up yesterday. I'm still hoping once they get all of the initial stuff up, they will add the "nice tarp". A girl can dream... :rotfl:

I'm going for my booster shot this morning (which is why I'm on DIS instead of being at work lol). I figured better safe than sorry, plus my father and co-workers were all on my butt about I :confused3:rotfl:

I'm at work AND on the Dis! :rotfl:

I'm at work AND on the Dis! :rotfl:

I WISH!! This week has been soooooooo slow at work, so I could at least use DIS to pass the time. :rotfl: I knew this week would drag by because it always seems to when we are close to a vacation but it has been dead, which makes it so much worse!

This is all such great advice! On the first one, I am SURE there are people who have seen my toddlers in the waiting area and thought please don't let me sit near them, but once on the plane, we have never had a problem! I'd say between my two kids, they have spent 40+ hours in the air and we have had maybe a combined 15-20 minutes of fussing and 5-10 minutes of real crying. The worst time was the time I let my 1.5ish year old out of his car seat for a bit. Big mistake!

We got a britax backpack from a friend last year. We have used it twice and OMG- life changer. Why we didn't buy this four years ago I have no idea! We have always bought our kids a seat so we have always traveled with their car seats for the plane (we actually just did this for what will probably be the last time earlier this year). Dragging one (sometimes 2) Britax Marathons through the airport is awful, but worth it. This backpack was the best thing ever. I bought one of those carts second hand and I think we got a busted one, it never worked for the Marathon, but the backpack was amazing!

Hopefully low crowds, trying new things (Frozen stuff for example), realizing the closed rides is only a small portion of the rides total, a day at Disneyland is better than a day at home etc.

ETA- and the knowledge that we will be back as a family in 1.5 years and for DH and I, in Nov. I totally understand people being upset when this is a once in a lifetime or even every ten years type trip.

The closures are a bummer for sure. The tarp's not very pretty and the drained water in CA is kind of an eye sore. BUT, in my opinion, those things alone are not what make Disneyland magical. It's the whole experience. Last time we went, Indiana Jones was down so the kids (and DH) are excited to go on that. We didn't go on RSR or ANY of the Carsland rides last time (it was just after opening and the lines were really bad), so we are all really looking forward to that. We didn't get to see fireworks last time either, but this time we will. Missing those "big" things last time didn't ruin our trip either.

It's all about your attitude, I think. If you focus on the crappy things, your attitude will bring you down. So I'm going in with a positive attitude and I know we're going to have a fantastic time. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter