*****Official February 2015 Thread! Come check in and chat!*****

Here is another question. This concerns flying internationally with a minor.

Now it is well known that for the most part, a mother traveling alone with a child will not be questioned about having "Consent for International Travel" notarized permission from the other parent, but has anyone ever been asked if they have it by USA CBS, or CBSA?

I DO have it but, just wondering if anyone ever actually has been questioned when traveling alone with their child?

My kids spent Springbreak with my family in Michigan. Their aunt took them to London, Ont. for the night. I sent a note but still got a call from border patrol going into CA. The Americans didn't care about them coming back in. Probably opposite if you live in CA.

So, any tips from experienced travelers to DLP of what they would pack for a 5 year old girl?

And another thought, the CDN greenback has tanked in the last week (dropping from $0.85 to just over $0.80 in a week) so I REALLY hope that the CDN $ will regain some ground vs the USD.

How are CDN travelers travel plans being affected by the plummeting CDN $ and what changes to your plans, if any, are you making?

I've only got a son so I am not sure how much a daughter would need in the way of clothes but I tend to err on the side of more is better. When we go, we usually pack two suitcases for the 3 of us and then just backpacks as carryon bags. For DS I will pack twice as many pairs of underwear as days plus a couple extra since he insists on putting on a clean pair after his bath. (and luckily he is too young to be online to read that I just posted that! :eek: ) I also pack enough socks plus a couple of extra pairs just in case. Shirts, I pack enough plus a couple in case and pants/shorts I will usually pack enough for a clean pair minus one or two. I also pack two pairs of pajamas. This trip is going to be a bit more difficult since I am not sure if it is going to be jeans or shorts weather. :confused3

To be fair, I might not be a good person to ask about clothing since I always, always, ALWAYS overpack. :blush: My logic is, if there is room in the suitcase and we are not over our weight allowance, why not pack it just in case? :rolleyes1

As for the $ dropping like a stone :sad: is all I can say.

I have paid for everything with the exception of our meals and souvenirs so at least that is something. My dad and stepmom gave me $200 in Disneyland gift cards for Christmas so that will cover some of the meals but I am debating about whether it will be better to suck it up and get some American $ or just put everything on our credit card since we have one that earns us cash back. If our $ rebounds a bit, I will probably get some cash, maybe $300-400 but that is not looking likely right now. I just used the Bank of Canada converter to see what $400 US would cost and it would be a disgusting $496 CAD! :furious::scared1:

One tip I have used and really liked was to pack each days outfit together in a gallon size bag. I write the date on each one and then I just throw the bag at kid or Dad and they can get themselves dressed without having to make a giant mess of stuff. For my daughter this also includes special hair things if that applies. It saves some space in the suitcase as well.

That's a great idea, especially for younger kids!

I leave in 7 days!!! I can't believe how fast time has gone by. I have 6 more days of work and we're off. I got a measles booster on Friday because I can't confirm that I had my two shots. Scares me since I know it takes a few weeks to get full immunity but I feel better about it than I did.

And another thought, the CDN greenback has tanked in the last week (dropping from $0.85 to just over $0.80 in a week) so I REALLY hope that the CDN $ will regain some ground vs the USD.

How are CDN travelers travel plans being affected by the plummeting CDN $ and what changes to your plans, if any, are you making?

My travel plans haven't been affected. I never stopped travelling to the US or Europe when the CDN dollar was lower so it makes little difference to me now. (And our dollar is always terrible compared to the Euro or GBP)

I always budget over for vacations and rarely spend everything. That being said I do cringe a little when I see how much my solo vacation is costing, but hey, that's why I work. ;)

Now it is well known that for the most part, a mother traveling alone with a child will not be questioned about having "Consent for International Travel" notarized permission from the other parent, but has anyone ever been asked if they have it by USA CBS, or CBSA?

I DO have it but, just wondering if anyone ever actually has been questioned when traveling alone with their child?

I've been asked for the letter every single time I've taken my son to the US without my DH and we've gone 6 or 7 times in that last 3.5 years.

So, any tips from experienced travelers to DLP of what they would pack for a 5 year old girl?

Princess dresses! I totally underestimated my DD's desire to be dressing up every day. At 11yo, she's bummed that Dad and I said no to princess dresses this year. (She was outgrowing all the dresses she had, so she looks like a ragamuffin in them now!) We packed leggings for her to wear under the dresses to provide a little more warmth, and often had her wear an long-sleeved shirt under the dress as well.

I am worried my kids will get sick right before we go too. They don't get sick often, so I think that has me more worried, like it's just going to smack us in the face!

Right now, the tummy bug is going through work. I've given serious thought to trying to get it this week, so it would be done before heading to DL!

One tip I have used and really liked was to pack each days outfit together in a gallon size bag. I write the date on each one and then I just throw the bag at kid or Dad and they can get themselves dressed without having to make a giant mess of stuff. For my daughter this also includes special hair things if that applies. It saves some space in the suitcase as well.

This is one of our best tips too! And make sure to get out all the air you can before you pack them. It makes getting dressed so easy in the morning. I can be showering, tell DD to get a bag, and know that she'll be dressed appropriately (matching/coordinated) when I get out.

Disclaimer: I've only flown domestically with DD. The most they have ever done is asked her for her name, and who I am to her. Since we have different last names, I always expect more of an issue, but have never had one. I'd have the letter available just in case, of course!

:banana: We leave in exactly 14 days so I am jealous of your 1 week of work left. As of right now I have 9 days of work left since this Friday is a pro-d day for DS and I always stay home with him on days off. That might change since he has been running a fever since Friday after school so I might have fewer days at work than anticipated. Poor kid but if he was going to get sick, at least he is getting it over with before our trip. Three trips ago he ended up getting a bad cold mid way through our stay and he was pretty miserable. Two trips ago both he and DH ended up either getting a stomach bug or a combination of too much sun and too little water and they were both :sick:

I have 7 (yes, seven!) weather apps on my phone and I keep checking the weather in Anaheim and I agree, it looks like the weather is amazing, some even have it going up to the high 20's! :beach: Living in Victoria, we always have mild winters compared to the rest of Canada but this one has been quite lovely. We had one day where there was a tiny bit of snow (less than a cm) and a couple of days that got cold (Victoria cold, so negative 4!) but otherwise it has been averaging 9-11C. Heck, my neighbours even have daffodils blooming in their yard! :flower3:

Okay, I have a confession. I said one full week of work but I left off the two days of the following week that I have to go in. lol They will be shorter days so I'm not counting them :rotfl2: Sounds better that way!!

A few years back DH and I got nasty colds while at DL. I remember we went to Knott's one day and I couldn't even breathe. I was miserable! The in-laws took the kids to SeaWorld one day and we were supposed to go to Hollywood. Well, we never made it and ended up sleeping all day. What a waste of a vacation day. :( Nothing worse than getting sick while on vacation. At least your son is getting over with it now!!

Today was absolutely beautiful in Calgary. I think we hit 16! Is it selfish of me to wish it would get down to -30 while we are gone? :rotfl:

I was just in BC two weeks ago for work and it was beautiful! VERY foggy but a lot nicer than it had been for a couple of weeks in Calgary. All of the staff were saying it was cold but I told then they were nuts! BC coast winters are sooooo much better than ours lol

Okay, I have a confession. I said one full week of work but I left off the two days of the following week that I have to go in. lol They will be shorter days so I'm not counting them :rotfl2: Sounds better that way!! A few years back DH and I got nasty colds while at DL. I remember we went to Knott's one day and I couldn't even breathe. I was miserable! The in-laws took the kids to SeaWorld one day and we were supposed to go to Hollywood. Well, we never made it and ended up sleeping all day. What a waste of a vacation day. :( Nothing worse than getting sick while on vacation. At least your son is getting over with it now!! Today was absolutely beautiful in Calgary. I think we hit 16! Is it selfish of me to wish it would get down to -30 while we are gone? :rotfl: I was just in BC two weeks ago for work and it was beautiful! VERY foggy but a lot nicer than it had been for a couple of weeks in Calgary. All of the staff were saying it was cold but I told then they were nuts! BC coast winters are sooooo much better than ours lol

I just read that we smashed a record yesterday, we hit 15.1C! The previous record was 12.7 back in the 50's.

I know how lucky I am to live in Victoria, especially since I grew up in ottawa so I know how lousy "real" Canadian winters are.

My awesome sister in law just sent me a message on Facebook about how she can get flights to SNA for only $450, so I am cautiously excited that she might join us! She came with us on our trip in August and it was so much fun. She's in Toronto so we only get to see her once or twice a year and I adore her so if she could join us, I would be over the moon excited. I'd have to add her to our GCH reservation but if we get one of the bunk bed rooms it should not be a problem at all.

So hard not to get my hopes up but I would love her to join us!

We moan and complain about it but it's not really going to change our plans. I did call and pay for the hotel and AP the other night because they keep saying the dollar will drop even more before it goes up again. Figured better safe than sorry. We also bought our US $$ in case it keeps going down.

I have been asked three times out of 8 vacations. Twice when driving across to Montana and once while flying to DL. Better safe than sorry, so I always brought one with me. Never had it notarized though. Just went to my town office with the ex and saw a commissioner of oaths. The last couple of times, I just had him sign, include his phone number and address and then have it witnessed by someone he knew. Had to show that kind once and they didn't have an issue with it. He has since passed away so I will need to take his death certificate with us on this trip.

I just read that we smashed a record yesterday, we hit 15.1C! The previous record was 12.7 back in the 50's.

I know how lucky I am to live in Victoria, especially since I grew up in ottawa so I know how lousy "real" Canadian winters are.

I think last winter was the worst one we've had in years. We had gone to Hawaii for the first 10 days of January and I seriously considered never getting on the plane to come home lol

My awesome sister in law just sent me a message on Facebook about how she can get flights to SNA for only $450, so I am cautiously excited that she might join us! She came with us on our trip in August and it was so much fun. She's in Toronto so we only get to see her once or twice a year and I adore her so if she could join us, I would be over the moon excited. I'd have to add her to our GCH reservation but if we get one of the bunk bed rooms it should not be a problem at all.

So hard not to get my hopes up but I would love her to join us!

That's exciting! That sounds like a pretty good price too! Fingers crossed for you, that she is able to join you guys!

ahhh!! We leave in 13 days! This was such a last minute trip and we are so excited!! We booked the Walt's DL Footsteps tour and cannot wait to see Carsland!! :banana:

Oh wow, totally jealous of your guys who are packing and heading out in the next 2 weeks! We go the last week of Feb so a bit more time for us. The girls are going to their grandparents house the week before we leave so it will be interesting to pack without them and also have 1/2 the drive without them LOL. They are super excited though.

They are not into wearing princess dresses at all but they do have lots of Disney shirts and such and like to wear a different character everyday. I will be anxious to hear about your trips, weather and general info. Have a blast!!!

That's exciting! That sounds like a pretty good price too! Fingers crossed for you, that she is able to join you guys!

omg omg omg, I am SO excited! My sister in law had originally sent me a message early this morning saying that it really was just wishful dreaming for her to be able to join us, but it all really came down to money. I have almost enough Airmiles to get her a 3 day parkhopper so I offered to get her that plus an upgrade to a 4 day hopper as her 30th birthday present and it now looks like she is coming along! (her birthday is in March so not too far away!)

:banana:
:cloud9:
:cool1:
:dance3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter