Official Disneyland ½ Marathon & 5k

I got a kick out of some of the signs along the way. Around mile 11 there was a lady holding a sign that said "Makayla is not impressed". Made me laugh. Somewhere along there as well, there was someone that had a sign that said "You never looked so good". That one got to me. I love the funny support signs...can't remember any more for now.

I saw the Makayla one, that was funny. I saw another one around mile 5 or so that said "Daddy says I can have an iPad when you finish run fast mommy!" that's something my kids would so say lol

Can someone tell me what PR means?

PR=Personal Record

I loved all the signs! My daughter made one and held it up on Katella. She loved that everyone that ran past said thank you.

I didnt PR like I had hoped. About mile 7-8 my stomach decided to voice its opinion and I had to make two unexpected stops.

PR=Personal Record

I loved all the signs! My daughter made one and held it up on Katella. She loved that everyone that ran past said thank you.

I didnt PR like I had hoped. About mile 7-8 my stomach decided to voice its opinion and I had to make two unexpected stops.

Ah thank you! What was your daughter's sign?

I got a kick out of some of the signs along the way. Around mile 11 there was a lady holding a sign that said "Makayla is not impressed". Made me laugh. Somewhere along there as well, there was someone that had a sign that said "You never looked so good". That one got to me. I love the funny support signs...can't remember any more for now.

I took a picture of one taped to a traffic sign near that one that said, "You look like a hot mess" and the man on the bicycle with the boombox that had a sign reading, "Keep going ur not almost there!" who then moved locations and changed signs, rights?

And then there was the very nice woman who took it upon herself to offer chafing remedies. Many people were gratefully telling her thank you.

Oh yes.....signs.

My favorites were "worst parade ever"

and "Run Stranger Run"

I had to laugh...and that helped.

Elvis was REALLY encouraging....

I had a good time at the race also. Finished in time to claim the coast to coast medal :cool1:.

I did the 1st DL Half 7 years ago. There was so much more course entertainment this time, especialy outside the parks. It was great motivation!

I didn't stop for any photos. One of these years I'm gonna get myself trained enough so I'll have time to stop w/o worrying about getting swept.

I didn't get to the expo until Sat. afternoon around 2PM. Picked up my stuff and got a C2C T-shirt.

Overall, even though it was hot, I had a great time.

Oh yes.....signs.

My favorites were "worst parade ever"
and "Run Stranger Run"

I had to laugh...and that helped.

Elvis was REALLY encouraging....

Yes! That one was a good one too. :lmao:

There was also another one very early in the race (mile 2ish?) just as we came out of Disneyland backstage that said something like:

" (name), don't pee in your pants!"

I swear that the signs are just about as much fun as the entertainment. Sort of like the Superbowl commercials of a race.

I saw the makayla one too. Also saw one that said something like "if you haven't pooped your pants, you are already a winner" around mile 10 or so. Also saw the hot mess one. Got a kick out of it.

I saw a really good one in Angel Stadium. It said you've done more by 9 AM than most people do all day.

I also like the one that said elite runners quit after one hour. Lol.

Oh and the one that said run like you stole something.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

The race temp was pretty warm for me since I'm from the Northwest so I didn't even consider trying for a PR. I drank electrolytes the day before and hydrated well. It was't one if my fastest 1/2 marathons but I felt strong at the finish.

I think everyone mentioned all of my favorite signs already. I thought the old cars were fun, a nice change of pace.

It's also fun to see the fans for other racers on multiple corners of the race.

I have a question regarding expected finish times and corrals. If you were in corral D or E, what time did you enter when you registered? Your 10k or 1/2 marathon time.

Thanks

Another memory of the Disneyland 1/2...

About mile 12 1/2, my ipod which plays randomly, played my all time favorite Disney song...When You Wish Upon a Star. Incredible. Gave me goosebumps and I got choked up.

I really enjoyed the race! I had previously did a 1/2 at home that really frustrated me. It was too hilly, too hot (with less water and I did not carry my own). So for this one I told myself just to finish, not to beat myself up for walking. BUT I ran.the.entire thing. Well, except through the castle and water areas.

I liked the boy scout holding up the sign in the Angels Stadium that said 13.1 will look great on your [facebook logo].

I agree - a little more entertainment (even music?? by then I was tired of my own playlist and wanted to be more present) after mile 11 would be just the final great touch. I was not really struggling at this point but was really tired and could have used a little *magic* to get my adrenaline going again.

I went to the expo right at noon b/c I needed my park tickets. I was able to exchange my shirt for a smaller size (they are HUGE!).

I picked up a few things I knew I wanted (injini socks and sweaty bands) but didn't really browse the other booths. I went back there at 7:30 that night to get some KT tape and was the last to leave. I made my way over to the official merchandise after the sweaty band booth told me they were selling official headbands over there. The line was SOOOOOO long. Wow. My toddler needed a nap so my mom offered to wait in the line. Yay her. I think she made it back up to our room (we stayed at DLH) within a half hour, but wow. Worth it though because I heard the bands sold out very quickly.

My toddler loved the kids race. I thought it was kind of a pain (for a 2 year old) but they did let the little ones get pics with mickey and minnie so that was worth it.

staying at the DLH was worth it to me. - especially for my mom who stayed with my toddler son the morning of the race. I had not really went over any race day stuff with her because I didn't want her to feel pressured to be at a certain spot. Once they got up they went downstairs they easily found a helpful person in the lobby that walked them over to the finish line spectator area for hotel guests and they had a great spot. It would be nice if they were able to set up a small bleacher seating thing though becuase my mom said a couple people came up and said "I just want to take a quick picture" and then did not move and she knew (thanks to runner tracking) that I was going to be there any minute. When she asked them to move or scoot over they got kind of rude. :(

The DL 1/2 was great! I got my C2C medal, which was great. We stopped 17 times for pictures (as opposed to 1 time at the Princess), and the weather was much hotter, but my time was almost the same! Plus, I didn't feel like crap after the race. We ran around DL and DCA all day and night until I got delirious by about 11PM. I may have to do it again next year, and it's already almost time for the Princess!

When we left Angels Stadium I said-- a month from now (at the Tower of Terror 10 miler) we'd be done already! ;)

I liked that all the characters and park stuff was all together early in the race-- it made it easier for me to commit to stopping for pictures. We got some great ones!

All of my favorite signs were already mentioned, but I agree I loved the signs along the way! The "hot mess" people actually had squirt bottles and were spritzing people with water that wanted to be - god I loved them!

We stayed at Park Vue Inn, right across the street from the Disneyland entrance, and it was wonderful to not have to take a bus the whole time we were there. However, I couldn't believe how far everyone (including us) had to walk to get back to the hotels/buses after the race - it seemed like they should have had shuttles picking up at the Disneyland hotel.

I did the half in January 7 months pregnant (I walked, with a heart rate monitor on, with my dad right next to me the entire way, with a lot of training and doctor clearance, and promised I would stop if there was a problem at all). The minute I finished, I turned to my dad and said we were going to California and doing the coast to coast.

What I didn't realize is that having a (now) six month old would make training over the summer in Pennsylvania a lot harder than planned :)

So with no training the day of the race, and knowing I was starting at the front of Corral E so I had some lead time to get through it all, I am happy to report I have that beautiful C2C dangling proudly around my neck (and have some great pictures of me and my baby sharing it!) It wasn't pretty, but it's done.

I LOVED going through the parks - I decided I was going to go as fast as I could in the beginning while the parks were entertaining me so that if I tanked at the end, I would have enough time to make it slowly to the end, and that worked.

Personally, I like the disney world races better (and I've done most of them) because, even when you're not in the parks, there are characters around keeping you entertained. The cheeerleaders, bands, and classic cars were awesome and I'm so impressed with them trying to keep me going when I wanted to collapse, but I really needed some of the Disney-specific magic to get me through miles 8-12.

There were also a few stretches of the course where it was hot and sunny and we were running directly into the sun. I'm used to Disney World weather, but the California heat and lack of shade and air conditioning in general (through the parks, and on the race course) was brutal!

My 91 year old grandfather was along on the trip in January and proudly cheered me at the finish, and sadly he passed away since then. By mile 10 I knew I needed to finish for him and I was looking for anything to get me by. He was involved in boyscouts his entire life and when I walked into that stadium and there were boyscouts lining the area, I nearly broke down in tears.

There was nothing that beat crossing that finish line, collapsing on the parking lot, and cuddling up with my son to feed him.
Thanks for indulging me my sappiness ;)

I don't know if I would do another Disneyland race, but I loved my time doing this one and that coast to coast medal was SO worth it. I remember signing up for the tower of terror 13k in 2008 and thinking there was no way I'd ever be able to finish 8 miles, especially at an 18 minute mile pace -and then seeing the coast to coast medal and knowing I needed to earn it one day. I'm really excited I was able to do it :)

I did the half in January 7 months pregnant (I walked, with a heart rate monitor on, with my dad right next to me the entire way, with a lot of training and doctor clearance, and promised I would stop if there was a problem at all). The minute I finished, I turned to my dad and said we were going to California and doing the coast to coast.

What I didn't realize is that having a (now) six month old would make training over the summer in Pennsylvania a lot harder than planned :)

I think we talked to you in the corrals! Were you wearing your Wine & Dine shirt? I was the Cheshire cat with my friend (Mrs. Incredible) and her mom who wore all black.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter