• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OFFICIAL Disney Cake Chatter Thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so glad I found this thread!!! We have 2 trips coming up this spring/summer and lots of celebrating to do : )

I have 2 questions for now!

1. I love the mini cake w the light up castle. Is this available at the MK resturants?

2. I thought I read something about copy right and the characters from Frozen. I asked my dd what kind of cake she wanted for her 1/2 bday and of course the only thing she wants is an Anna and Elsa cake!

Thanks for the help ladies you guys rock!!
Steph

Hi Steph,

Not sure about the first question but page 226 (post #3381) has a beautiful "Frozen" cake. It was $120...

Okay.. This cake was made by the contemporary team. They were amazing!!!!!!!!!!! The cake looked almost identical to the picture I had sent them through email. It was and 8 inch cake. Chocolate cake with Peanut butter cream cheese filing. It was AMAZING! VERY RICH though! Cost was $130. With the tax, gratuity and delivery it came to 161 and some change. Very expensive but a once in a life timer cake! I was very happy! :)

I mostly lurk here, but wanted to say I love this cake! I just adore Christmas or wintery themed cakes. They did a great job on the Christmas tree!

I am so glad I found this thread!!! We have 2 trips coming up this spring/summer and lots of celebrating to do : )

I have 2 questions for now!

1. I love the mini cake w the light up castle. Is this available at the MK resturants?

2. I thought I read something about copy right and the characters from Frozen. I asked my dd what kind of cake she wanted for her 1/2 bday and of course the only thing she wants is an Anna and Elsa cake!

Thanks for the help ladies you guys rock!!
Steph
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=50275556&postcount=3381

got this for Dec so I cant tell you about copy right things

Hello, getting ready to order a mini cake for our February trip. We are ordering thru Epcot and having it delivered to Le Cellier. Problem is I have no idea about decorations or the wording. It's our first real family vacation (2nd marriage). My husband has never been to Disney.

We like all the characters but if there was a way to make it a family cake that would be great. I know the mini cake does not have a lot of room but any ideas that you all have would be great! Thanks!!

I am new to this site but have found a ton of great information so far. I am taking my husband and son to Disney world as a surprise for their birthdays in May. I would like to order a mini cake for my husband's 30th birthday that we will be celebrating at the Crystal Palace. When I contacted the Magic Kingdom cakes they wouldn't customize the mini cake at all for me. Is there somewhere else that will do a custom mini cake and still deliver to the Crystal Palace?

In May we will be returning for our third trip this past year, second with the whole family, and while I was really on the fence about whether or not to order a cake after our last experience, since this may be our last Disney trip for a while I think I have to do it.

So, I have a few questions for the experts. First, does anyone know in what restaurants you can't use the TiW card on the cake? CRT did not allow me to use it and told me its because they are a special dining experience. Which makes zero sense to me since they accept the card for the meal portion of what they charge to dine there. But whatever. So is it just CRT or would this be the case for all character meals? Any others? Or is it maybe because its Signature Dining? Since I'm going for a pricier cake this time I don't want to miss out on the discount.

For a recap, last May I had two fabulous cakes done by Chef Brian. As a cake lover, tastewise, these cakes were amazing! So I tried to order a cake from them for me and my son in November and it was NOTHING like the cakes we had prior. It was a grocery store premade on the shelf type of cake and I don't want to get one like it again.

So my thoughts were to possibly go bigger, definitely more layers at least, add a filling, and maybe do a fancy painted chocolate figure. (The cake I didn't like was only a 2 layer 6 inch marble with vanilla frosting and it appeared they took a premade cake and slapped some flowers and a lighted castle on top). Any other tips on how to make sure I really get a fresh, Contemporary bakery cake?

Thanks for all the pics and inspirations!

Heather

Does anyone know if you can get the chocolate slipper at BOG? What about Chef Mickeys? I want to order one of these for my girls but not sure where I can get one. Last time we got it at CRT but we are not eating there this trip.

How much are they now?

Does anyone know if you can get the chocolate slipper at BOG? What about Chef Mickeys? I want to order one of these for my girls but not sure where I can get one. Last time we got it at CRT but we are not eating there this trip.

How much are they now?

You can get it to any restaurant that is serviced by the Contemporary or Grand Floridian Cake Departments. This should include BOG too.You can definately get it at Chef Mickeys.

I am new to this site but have found a ton of great information so far. I am taking my husband and son to Disney world as a surprise for their birthdays in May. I would like to order a mini cake for my husband's 30th birthday that we will be celebrating at the Crystal Palace. When I contacted the Magic Kingdom cakes they wouldn't customize the mini cake at all for me. Is there somewhere else that will do a custom mini cake and still deliver to the Crystal Palace?

I have a similar question and situation. I contacted MK with my cake request and they are unable to make the mini cake I want. Another poster requested the same cake but ordered it from the AOA cake line which transferred her to the Yacht and Beach Club to order for room delivery. I'm wondering if the Yacht and Beach Club will deliver the cake to our dinner at Crystal Palace.

I have a similar question and situation. I contacted MK with my cake request and they are unable to make the mini cake I want. Another poster requested the same cake but ordered it from the AOA cake line which transferred her to the Yacht and Beach Club to order for room delivery. I'm wondering if the Yacht and Beach Club will deliver the cake to our dinner at Crystal Palace.

No. AOA always gets its cakes from Yacht & Beach Club, they just don't usually let you speak to Y&BC directly to order them. Only the Contemporary delivers cakes to the Magic Kingdom, but they have stopped taking orders directly from guests and make you go through the MK. See my answer to the next question...

The Contemporary does, but the way it works now is you have to go through the MK cakes line first and let them know that you need to work with the Contemporary on a custom cake. Then you're "allowed" to contact the Contemporary about the cake, whereas before you could just call the Contemporary first. It's a whole extra layer of complication... :rolleyes2

So, I have a few questions for the experts. First, does anyone know in what restaurants you can't use the TiW card on the cake? CRT did not allow me to use it and told me its because they are a special dining experience. Which makes zero sense to me since they accept the card for the meal portion of what they charge to dine there. But whatever. So is it just CRT or would this be the case for all character meals? Any others? Or is it maybe because its Signature Dining? Since I'm going for a pricier cake this time I don't want to miss out on the discount.

That sounds very suspect to me... as you said, you can use TIW to prepay for your meal at CRT, so why can't you use it to pay on the spot for the cake? At any rate, if this really is the policy, then I'd say it only applies at places where you pre-pay for your meal. Just remember that when you use TIW on that cake, they automatically add a 20% tip to the price of the cake, which can really add up if it's a fancy one. Technically you can ask the manager to reduce the tip amount, but I'm not sure if anyone ever has the guts to do this...

So my thoughts were to possibly go bigger, definitely more layers at least, add a filling, and maybe do a fancy painted chocolate figure. (The cake I didn't like was only a 2 layer 6 inch marble with vanilla frosting and it appeared they took a premade cake and slapped some flowers and a lighted castle on top). Any other tips on how to make sure I really get a fresh, Contemporary bakery cake?

I think you have the right idea there. Request something that they can't fulfill with a standard 2-layer chocolate or vanilla cake. Ask for red velvet or peanut butter cup mousse or something else out of the ordinary. :thumbsup2

No. AOA always gets its cakes from Yacht & Beach Club, they just don't usually let you speak to Y&BC directly to order them. Only the Contemporary delivers cakes to the Magic Kingdom, but they have stopped taking orders directly from guests and make you go through the MK. See my answer to the next question... The Contemporary does, but the way it works now is you have to go through the MK cakes line first and let them know that you need to work with the Contemporary on a custom cake. Then you're "allowed" to contact the Contemporary about the cake, whereas before you could just call the Contemporary first. It's a whole extra layer of complication... :rolleyes2 That sounds very suspect to me... as you said, you can use TIW to prepay for your meal at CRT, so why can't you use it to pay on the spot for the cake? At any rate, if this really is the policy, then I'd say it only applies at places where you pre-pay for your meal. Just remember that when you use TIW on that cake, they automatically add a 20% tip to the price of the cake, which can really add up if it's a fancy one. Technically you can ask the manager to reduce the tip amount, but I'm not sure if anyone ever has the guts to do this... I think you have the right idea there. Request something that they can't fulfill with a standard 2-layer chocolate or vanilla cake. Ask for red velvet or peanut butter cup mousse or something else out of the ordinary. :thumbsup2

Thank You! I appreciate your help :-)

Hi Folks! Just booked our next disney vacation for the end of June/early July. We don't really have any birthdays or anniversaries to celebrate this time around, but I've ordered custom cakes the last three visits, so I feel like it's tradition!

Anyway, we just recently found out my sister is expecting her first child, so I'm thinking a "welcome future disney guest" cake? Anybody have any inspiration for a pregnancy/baby cake?

Hi Folks! Just booked our next disney vacation for the end of June/early July. We don't really have any birthdays or anniversaries to celebrate this time around, but I've ordered custom cakes the last three visits, so I feel like it's tradition!

Anyway, we just recently found out my sister is expecting her first child, so I'm thinking a "welcome future disney guest" cake? Anybody have any inspiration for a pregnancy/baby cake?

No photos, but I was just thinking of custom cakes you could make based on not-so-typical Disney movies. (For my Halloween/birthday cake for my next trip, I'm debating between a Madam Mim/Sword in the Stone cake, or an Izma cake based on Emperor's New Groove.)

I literally JUST thought today how cool it would be to do a baby cake based on the "baby shower" scenes from Hercules - complete with a cradle made from clouds. You can leave Hades out of it, of course (though I do like the way he called the baby 'the little sunspot').

We r leaving next Saturday. I ordered a Stitch theme for my ds. It's suppose to be marble with chocolate butter cream. But I'm wondering if I should do vanilla butter cream it is going to be covered in fondant. Any ideas

Thanks for all the cake ordering advise. I emailed the Contemporary with a picture. I revived a Quote within 24 hours. I called the cake hotline and received a follow-up within 12 hours. My DH will be dining at California Grill on Feb 1st. Last question: the cake will be added to our dinner bill. If we add a tip does it go to the Baker? Does everyone normally tip?

Hi all. I really would like to get a nice cake for my upcoming birthday trip. Dinner on my actual birthday will be at Le Cellier. But I wanted to order a cake from the Boardwalk and pick it up before dinner. The options I really want though only seem to be avaliable on a 10 inch cake, which will be just too much for 2 people, lol. I basically just want a white or yellow cake with either the strawberry mousse or strawberry and Bavarian cream filling with whipped cream as the frosting. Would I be able to do that in a mini-cake? Or even an 8-inch? Or would I just have to call and cross my fingers? lol Thanks in advance for any answers/advice.

Hi all. I really would like to get a nice cake for my upcoming birthday trip. Dinner on my actual birthday will be at Le Cellier. But I wanted to order a cake from the Boardwalk and pick it up before dinner. The options I really want though only seem to be avaliable on a 10 inch cake, which will be just too much for 2 people, lol. I basically just want a white or yellow cake with either the strawberry mousse or strawberry and Bavarian cream filling with whipped cream as the frosting. Would I be able to do that in a mini-cake? Or even an 8-inch? Or would I just have to call and cross my fingers? lol Thanks in advance for any answers/advice.

I got a tangled themed mini cake last year at aoa with bevarian

I'm still confused over mini cake flavors. If I used either the Magic Kingdom (for BOG) or the Grand Floridian (for V&A), could I pay for more exotic flavors than the chocolate/chocolate, white/white flavors I've seen mentioned?

I'm thinking of things like red velvet and peanut butter cup, of course, but also almond/amaretto mousse and yellow/raspberry or blackberry mousse. Are those even in the realm of possibility for mini cakes?

I don't know exactly what flavors are available for mini cakes, but I know dh ordered me a chocolate cake with white buttercream icing and the Bailey's Irish cream mousse filling. It was delivered to bog, so made by the contemporary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter