• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OFFICIAL Disney Cake Chatter Thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordered for a birthday celebration on Grand One from Grand Floridian Private Dining. Red Velvet/white chocolate mousse. It glowed and looked like an actual coral reef. Everything was edible minus the lights of course ;P

closeup_0491a4e2c0.JPG

After reading so much about the mini tiered cakes here I tried to order one for DD15's birthday when we're there in December.

Initially I thought a Jack Skellington themed mini tiered cake would be great, I've seen some great designs here. But they said they have licensing issues with certain characters including Winnie the Pooh, Nightmare Before Christmas, Pirates of the Caribbean, Mary Poppins, Marvel and Star Wars characters. :confused3

So I asked for Wreck it Ralph or maybe even a snowflakey Frozen theme? They're response - they only do the mini tiered cakes in the generic mickey ears. If I want a Wreck It Ralph theme they can do it on the $90 cakes. But the two of us will only eat a little cake in the park...

From what I've read lately in this thread it's because Chef Brian has moved on? Is that correct? Or am I possibly speaking to the wrong person here, that being magickingdomcakes.com. In their defense, they've been incredibly responsive to my emails.

So I asked for Wreck it Ralph or maybe even a snowflakey Frozen theme? They're response - they only do the mini tiered cakes in the generic mickey ears. If I want a Wreck It Ralph theme they can do it on the $90 cakes. But the two of us will only eat a little cake in the park...

Well, you could try telling them you want them to send your mini cake request to the CR for a custom quote (since they are trying to steer you toward something generic) but even when Chef Brian was around, there was only so much they could do to a mini cake. They're just so small.

That said, I've had some pretty great-looking mini cakes from the Contemporary, BoardWalk Inn and Yacht Club, so it is possible if you don't get too elaborate.

After reading so much about the mini tiered cakes here I tried to order one for DD15's birthday when we're there in December.

Initially I thought a Jack Skellington themed mini tiered cake would be great, I've seen some great designs here. But they said they have licensing issues with certain characters including Winnie the Pooh, Nightmare Before Christmas, Pirates of the Caribbean, Mary Poppins, Marvel and Star Wars characters. :confused3

From what I've read lately in this thread it's because Chef Brian has moved on? Is that correct? Or am I possibly speaking to the wrong person here, that being magickingdomcakes.com. In their defense, they've been incredibly responsive to my emails.
I called the CR and asked for a special cake and was given the email to the Contemporary Bakery team. From there I emailed Chef Donald of what I wanted which was the Snow Flurry 2 tiered mini cake that Lurkyloo posted from this years wedding expo. It was easy but my mini will cost me $50 plus.:goodvibes

I ordered this cake back on October 22 for delivery to Bay Lake Tower. I told Chef Donald that I wanted a mini two tier cake with a Cinderella / Halloween theme, as the cake was a little treat before going to the MNSSHP, and we all dressed as Cinderella characters. Cake was almond flavor with Chocolate Mousse filling. The cake flavor was delicious. In fact, I think there was almost too much mousse inside and it took away from the flavor. Was quoted $40, and I believe it was $52 after tax/delivery/tip.
DSC_7358.JPG
DSC_7359.JPG

We are headed back to the world in December and my DD will be a certified scuba diver getting to dive in the living seas at epcot this trip. I want to order her a special cake to celebrate but we are staying at AOA lion king suite this time and not one of the deluxe resorts. Can anyone tell me if a speciality cake can be made and delivered to our room there? And if so which bakery do I call? With all the changes I am confused.

A question : I am looking for a small bday cake for my DH. Last fall he played the "cheese grater" in the Beauty and the Beast at the high school where he works. I would like to have a cake themed around this. I would like to order from the Boardwalk Bakery. Do you think this is possible?

I called the CR and asked for a special cake and was given the email to the Contemporary Bakery team. From there I emailed Chef Donald of what I wanted which was the Snow Flurry 2 tiered mini cake that Lurkyloo posted from this years wedding expo. It was easy but my mini will cost me $50 plus.:goodvibes

Thank you (both, LurkyLoo - you too!) I tried calling the resort direct and that CM sent me back to the disneymagicalcakes hotline. Then I googled the email for the Contemporary resorts cakes - I've sent an email there and hopefully it will be answered or directed to Chef Donald and NOT back to the main cakes hotline. Fingers crossed... I'm okay paying $50 for a special design, but I don't want to pay $35 for a cookie cutter design everyone gets. Beautiful cake by the way - that would be a perfect Frozen design with a little marzipan snowman on top!

We are headed back to the world in December and my DD will be a certified scuba diver getting to dive in the living seas at epcot this trip. I want to order her a special cake to celebrate but we are staying at AOA lion king suite this time and not one of the deluxe resorts. Can anyone tell me if a speciality cake can be made and delivered to our room there? And if so which bakery do I call? With all the changes I am confused.

I did the EPCOT Dive Quest and it was a blast. The best part was being able to interact with my parents on the other side of the glass. Sorry I don't have any info about cakes.

Yea! That other email address worked and I'm now communicating directly with Chef Donald now :cheer2:

Thanks so much guys for all the help... I'd given up as of yesterday and already let me DD know it wasn't happening. If I manage to pull this together won't THAT be a surprise when we're there!!

Yes. See Post #2 for information about Art of Animation, which is where you'd call to place the order.

A question : I am looking for a small bday cake for my DH. Last fall he played the "cheese grater" in the Beauty and the Beast at the high school where he works. I would like to have a cake themed around this. I would like to order from the Boardwalk Bakery. Do you think this is possible?

Sure! I mean, they're probably not gonna create a mini cheese grater for you out of fondant, but maybe you could have little white chocolate "cheese curls" around the sides and a small fondant wheel of "cheese" on top?

Our last morning we are going to have breakfast at Kona Cafe at a 7:30 ressie. I was hoping to order a Mickey Head cake for us to take home with us that day. Would I be able to order one to get at breakfast? It will be to celebrate two birthdays and our 20th anniversary but we aren't really going to be doing any other table meals the entire trip and we are staying at ASMu so I know we can't get one delivered there.

You can have a cake delivered any time of day that the restaurant is open—they don't judge! :teeth:

Well, despite assurances we were getting the same basic cake we got from the Contemporary bakery before, I find it extremely hard to believe the cake we got today was made by the same bakery. It was cute enough. Simple really but taste wise it was dry, didn't look or taste even remotely like what we had in the spring and the frosting was grainy, overly sweet and really to me just grocery store quality. I was so disappointed after being so blown away by the cakes Brian made us. The frosting they used last time was so perfect, super smooth and fluffy, sweet but not overly so, and the cake was still moist 4 days later.

If the cake we got today was our first Disney cake I would never feel compelled to order it again. As it is I don't know if I want to take a chance again. It was $43 plus tax and gratuity for a 2 layer Marble cake with vanilla buttercream topped with a lighted castle and flowers. This was also supposed to be a light that changed color but it was a simple white light.

The up side is my 5 year old who never eats cakes like this except at Disney because of his allergies was completely surprised and loved it. After he had a piece he came around the table to hug me and tell me how happy he was and thanked me for it. I'm glad he enjoyed it, I was just hoping I could too.

I'll post pics when we get home.

The up side is my 5 year old who never eats cakes like this except at Disney because of his allergies was completely surprised and loved it. After he had a piece he came around the table to hug me and tell me how happy he was and thanked me for it. I'm glad he enjoyed it, I was just hoping I could too.

Dang! I'm sure sorry to hear about your terrible cake experience at the Contemporary—I guess their golden age of cake is over… It's hard to understand how even the taste of the cake could suffer if they're using the same recipes and, presumably, the same techniques. :(

But I have to say, the part about your son's reaction was so sweet, you had me misting up! :goodvibes

Well, despite assurances we were getting the same basic cake we got from the Contemporary bakery before, I find it extremely hard to believe the cake we got today was made by the same bakery. It was cute enough. Simple really but taste wise it was dry, didn't look or taste even remotely like what we had in the spring and the frosting was grainy, overly sweet and really to me just grocery store quality. I was so disappointed after being so blown away by the cakes Brian made us. The frosting they used last time was so perfect, super smooth and fluffy, sweet but not overly so, and the cake was still moist 4 days later.

If the cake we got today was our first Disney cake I would never feel compelled to order it again. As it is I don't know if I want to take a chance again. It was $43 plus tax and gratuity for a 2 layer Marble cake with vanilla buttercream topped with a lighted castle and flowers. This was also supposed to be a light that changed color but it was a simple white light.

I'm so sorry that happened to you. :( But I'm really happy to hear that your son enjoyed his cake. :)

I had bad experiences with both cakes I ordered from the CR at the end of September as well. Both were wrong. They forgot the fondant on one of them and the filling was wrong on the other one. They looked like they were decorated by someone learning to decorate cakes, the cakes were just so sloppy looking. It was so disappointing. :(

The frosting on my red velvet cake from the CR was also really grainy and sweet. And the red velvet tasted really really strange, not like red velvet at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter