OFFICIAL Disney Cake Chatter Thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm a bit disappointed but not giving up yet. I emailed MK Cakes to inquire about ording a cake for next weeks trip. For one they told me that Marble is not an option? Just vanilla or chocolate and the only fillers are vanilla or chocolate buttercream or mousse? We just had a cake from them in May that was Marble with fresh strawberries and had no problem ordering it.

I also asked about doing a 3" on top of 5" tiered cake with the castle w/lights and they said that isn't an option for size. That I can do a 6" cake or a 6 over 8 tiered. Yikes! Way too much for the two of us.

I emailed them back asking if I would do better to try elsewhere or go straight through the contemporary. I can't imagine with all the flavored cakes I've seen here that her info is correct. Or is it because it's CRT? Is that still the Contemporary bakery? If it's an issue of restaurant I can have it somewhere else.

Heather

We are leaving Tom and just got resies at Be Our Guest and wondering how it works if we wanted a celebration cake or if there are any personalized celebration desserts? Any pics or prices? Thks for any help!

You can ask for a 6-inch Celebration (a.k.a. "podium" in DIS parlance) cake in all-chocolate or all-vanilla when you check in for your reservation. For anything else you'd need to go through the MK cakes email posted on the first page of this thread—they're pretty good about responding within a day, but I dunno how much time you have.

Just a quick update on my ToT mini cake for anyone interested. Apparently I can have Vanilla sponge with Peanut Butter Mousse filling, no suitcase as the Cake is too small.

Bit disappointed about the suitcase but I think I will go ahead and call the order through next week.

I'm glad you were able to get closer to what you wanted! :thumbsup2

Well I'm a bit disappointed but not giving up yet. I emailed MK Cakes to inquire about ording a cake for next weeks trip. For one they told me that Marble is not an option? Just vanilla or chocolate and the only fillers are vanilla or chocolate buttercream or mousse? We just had a cake from them in May that was Marble with fresh strawberries and had no problem ordering it.

I believe this is because they are trying to standardize the offerings in the MK (all restaurants) that can be provided by an outside vendor, instead of having the Contemporary custom-make every single cake someone orders for the MK. However, if you let them know that you want a custom cake, they should put your order through to the Contemporary, which would enable you to get different flavors and possibly that 3" on a 5" (unless Chef Brian took those pans with him when he moved on! :teeth: )

Has anyone done this or does anyone know if you can get fondant cut outs ( such as circles) on a cake that is just buttercream icing not fondant covered? Also I would like a bow made of fondant as a topper on the cake and fondant beading around the bottom but have the cake itself just iced in buttercream. I am ordering for at CRT. Hopefully that made sense to someone out there!

I believe this is because they are trying to standardize the offerings in the MK (all restaurants) that can be provided by an outside vendor, instead of having the Contemporary custom-make every single cake someone orders for the MK. However, if you let them know that you want a custom cake, they should put your order through to the Contemporary, which would enable you to get different flavors and possibly that 3" on a 5" (unless Chef Brian took those pans with him when he moved on! :teeth: )

I think you are exactly right. I emailed back letting them know I had the Marble a few months ago and that I know Contemporary has offered that size in tiered and just asked is this was new policy or if I'd have better luck going through the Contemporary. She basically said they were trying to make things easier for guests by having MK handle the orders and make them simpler but they can contact the bakery to see about other options.

After all that though the $120 price tag for a 3 on 5 tiered cake is a bit more than I can justify spending on a cake for just me and my 5 year old. Going to see about a 6 inch instead.

Has anyone done this or does anyone know if you can get fondant cut outs ( such as circles) on a cake that is just buttercream icing not fondant covered? Also I would like a bow made of fondant as a topper on the cake and fondant beading around the bottom but have the cake itself just iced in buttercream. I am ordering for at CRT. Hopefully that made sense to someone out there!

I posted a cake photo a few pages back that was buttercream frosting with fondant pumkinheads on top and other chocolate/fondant details on it ... so what you want can likely be done. We ordered through Chef Donald at CR, I think they handle specialty cakes for MK.

I had a quote for a 3 on 5 inch tiered Marble cake with vanilla buttercream, topped with a lighted white chocolate castle and flowers for $120. More than I can justify spending for just me and my DS so I asked about doing a 6 inch instead. The quote for that came back at only$43?

I am going through the MK cake hotline email and when it came back so low I told her I'd like them to make it "gorgeous" by whatever decorative means they'd like, ie flowers, fondant decorations, etc. and I could go up to a budget of $70 for the extra decorations. I just specified I don't want a completely fondant covered cake. The person I was emailing said that was great and asked what to write to personalize it then came back with conformation for a $43 cake.

It just seems so cheap to me that I'm concerned its going to be very generic. For reference we got a 6 inch marble cake with fresh strawberries topped with a Cinderella slipper and flowers for $75 this spring. And it was stunning.

Would you contact the bakery to clarify or just wait and see what they make. Maybe I shouldn't have left it so open ended. I just didn't want to go back and forth pricing every little thing out and thought I should just have them do what they thought would be appropriate and make it pretty but don't go over my budget.

Just hoping for a bit of a wow factor like we had last time.

TIA

Spoke with someone from AOA this morning and emailed my request for something close to the Tinkerbell's Garden cupcake to have delivered to our room. I am excited to see what they can do.

I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. It makes
me nervous as we have DS 2d bday cake ordered for Chef Mickeys in January. Had you called the cake line to order after your emails with Donald? I know I emailed with Heather then had to call the number to order.

Yes I did and even had a confirmation number

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience. You can write to:

Walt Disney World Guest Communications
P.O. Box 10,040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040

I would print a copy of the email and send it along with a letter. Make sure you include a phone number where they can reach you. They often call to make sure they have the details correct and to apologize.

Is there and email address

I had a quote for a 3 on 5 inch tiered Marble cake with vanilla buttercream, topped with a lighted white chocolate castle and flowers for $120. More than I can justify spending for just me and my DS so I asked about doing a 6 inch instead. The quote for that came back at only$43?

I am going through the MK cake hotline email and when it came back so low I told her I'd like them to make it "gorgeous" by whatever decorative means they'd like, ie flowers, fondant decorations, etc. and I could go up to a budget of $70 for the extra decorations. I just specified I don't want a completely fondant covered cake. The person I was emailing said that was great and asked what to write to personalize it then came back with conformation for a $43 cake.

It just seems so cheap to me that I'm concerned its going to be very generic. ...

Would you contact the bakery to clarify or just wait and see what they make. Maybe I shouldn't have left it so open ended.

I would bet dollars to donuts (cupcakes?) that the reason the price is so low is they're farming the cake out to the outside vendor and you'll get a generic buttercream cake with stuff stuck around it. Which might be beautiful—we won't really know til people start sharing pictures here. But if you want the Contemporary to make that cake, I think you'll have to put in more specific, complicated requests (and pay more).

Just received a quote of $70 to have a mini wedding cake made up like the Tinkerbell's Garden cupcake. They are able to make the mini white chocolate Tinkerbell too! I am so excited and can't wait to see DD's face!

This is the pirate Mickey cake that we received for my sons 4th birthday. It was $47, delivered to Garden Grill on 10/27. It was chocolate cake with chocolate mousse / buttercream filling and was delicious. My little boy loved it.

PA270277_zpsb78006ce.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

JJ&JHsmom said:
Just received a quote of $70 to have a mini wedding cake made up like the Tinkerbell's Garden cupcake. They are able to make the mini white chocolate Tinkerbell too! I am so excited and can't wait to see DD's face!

Really looking forward to seeing a pic :)

This is the pirate Mickey cake that we received for my sons 4th birthday. It was $47, delivered to Garden Grill on 10/27. It was chocolate cake with chocolate mousse / buttercream filling and was delicious. My little boy loved it. [/URL][/IMG]

Do you have a pic? It didn't post, can't wait to see because this is the cake we are going to do!

called to order a cake on Monday for a dinner Nov 17 at Chef Mickeys,
After confirming I want a custom cake, I was given an email address.
I am still waiting to hear back rom the email I sent I really want to know if they can create my cake.......How long should I wait before contacting again.?? We leave in 3 days.....

I would bet dollars to donuts (cupcakes?) that the reason the price is so low is they're farming the cake out to the outside vendor and you'll get a generic buttercream cake with stuff stuck around it. Which might be beautiful—we won't really know til people start sharing pictures here. But if you want the Contemporary to make that cake, I think you'll have to put in more specific, complicated requests (and pay more).

That was my concern. I decided to ask them outright and they reassured me the cake was being made by the Contemporary bakery. They even had Donald email me this morning to assure me they are baking it there and taking the greatest care because of DS's allergies. It is a 2 layer vs. 4 layer last time and the price is going up with the addition of the flowers. So relieved and excited!

I have the white chocolate crown dessert ordered for my son for our CRT reservation on the 19th. I will post a pic when we return from our vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter