OFFICIAL Disney Cake Chatter Thread - Part III

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by lurkyloo, Apr 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tarheelmjfan

tarheelmjfan <font color=red>Proud Redhead<br><font color=blue>

Have any of you ordered a cake from Swan or Dolphin? I didn't see those restaurants on the first page.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. LilGMom

LilGMom <font color=red>It makes me want to Kiss on the li

How about a Mardi Gras themed and colored cake saying "Welcome". Mardi Gras ties into the whole New Orleans theme of the restaurant and would tie in nicely with the large float items hanging in the food court of POR.

4. disney is my life

disney is my life DIS Veteran

I'm kind of confused :confused3 did you pay around $42.50 plus tax and gratuity or did you have to pay the full price plus $12.50?

5. DisneyFanEmily

DisneyFanEmily Earning My Ears

for anyone who has gotten the pictures of characters on the chocolate stand ups, did you just tell them the characters and they picked the picture or where you able to send a specific picture?
    thanks

6. nannye

nannye DIS Veteran

That would be a great idea for pofq they have the Marci's GRAS theming. V would love to stay there but we won't. The clowns and such just give me the creeps lol. POR has a more relaxed theming just kind of more old school but nothing really specific, great dea tho thanks. Keep them coming!

7. cmcadoo66

cmcadoo66 Mouseketeer

The Stitch cake I ordered last month I gave them the idea and they picked the image. I just ordered one for our trip next weekend for my daughter's birthday and I supplied the image. They gave me an email address to send it along with the cake details that I want included in the cake. But I believe it depends on the bakery you deal with too. Pat at GF was not very flexible in cake flavors and fillings but the cake turned out beautiful. Yvonne at AoA has been extremely helpful and willing to work with me on making my DD's Sweet 16 cake special. Just ask. The worse they can tell you is that you can't send your own image. :)

8. nugov2

nugov2 DIS Veteran

I would like to do a welcome to Disney cake too. Cupcakes would be ideal b/c we have 5 kids going 3 boys and 2 girls so can't really do gender specific on a cake. This is what I was thinking since it doesn't seem like cupcakes are an option. I want the mickey ears and the sign say Welcome To Disney!

http://arteatsbakery.com/images/Mickey and Minnie mouse fondant birthday cakes.jpg

9. DisneyFanEmily

DisneyFanEmily Earning My Ears

Thanks, I was hoping it didn't matter. I don't think they could really go wrong with an image if I give them the character. But incase will save some images to send them incase they let me pick one.
    Thanks.

10. CyndiLouWho

CyndiLouWho Earning My Ears

Ok so now I'm rethinking this after discussing with DH. My sister's only comment when I said we should order a cake was "no fondant" but DH says ignore her. She has left all the planning of the whole trip to me, so I'm going to order what I think looks nice. That said I'm thinking white fondant with wave design of gold mickey stamps (is that the right terminology?) For the topper, I don't like the white choc figures unless painted, do they charge extra for that? Anyone know how much? And a fondant cake delivered to Poly is from the GF?

Thanks for any input.

11. LilGMom

LilGMom <font color=red>It makes me want to Kiss on the li

True POFQ has a Mardi Gras theme whereas POR is more laid back but when I think of New Orleans (even POR) I think of the Mardi Gras and Garden District. If you wanted to go with more of a laid back theme that could be associated with New Orleans you could do something jazz related. Or since the grounds of POR are so pretty (imho, some of the prettiest and most relaxing anywhere on property) you could have something with lots of flowers on top.

12. phi2012

phi2012 Mouseketeer

Been reading through this thread and loved seeing all your lovely pic and info, hopefully you might be able to help me.

I have always made the cakes for my family, especially my two daughters so ordering cakes is all new to me. Both my girls birthdays are either side of our holiday but we are celebrating a special day for each of them out in Disney in June so was thinking of getting a cake each (as you can't very well have a birthday meal with no cake :goodvibes) but we are on the dining plan so will be eating lots of food and don't want to waste too much food or money on a cakes that won't get eaten.

There are 4 adults in the party a 4 year old and a 23 month old. Do you think a two tier mini cake each is enough as a gesture of the birthday cake, (id have already made them a big cake at home on their actual birthday) or do you think I should go with a larger cake? I know that the price of the basic 6/8 inch is cheaper than a mini two tier, but I know that I will want it decorated to the extent it'll probably end up costing a lot more. (If I could bring my own made decorations from home I would but I don't know how the us is on letting fondant icing into the country as we live in the UK.)

I like the look of the coral and shells mini cake and also the mini cake with the Mickey ears on top, how much do these normally run at? (could I get the coral and shells only from the grand Floridian?) We are eating at 1900 park fare, Tusker house lunch, and coral reef on the girls birthday days.

Also our youngest daughters meal is at Tusker house in ak and I see that it is done by Hollywood studios (think someone said not the most fancy options available) but it also said I believe that they do the chocolate cutouts on 8inch cakes for free is that right? Could they do other stuff there too or are they a pretty limited bakery.

Sorry so many questions, as I said im new to the whole ordering cakes and kinda wished I could just make them up some whilst I was out there but from looking through this thread all the cakes do look lovely so im sure they would do a wonderful job, just hopefully not too expensive er one :rolleyes:.

Thanks and I hope you can advise me. :thumbsup2

13. lurkyloo

lurkyloo The Attic was just perfect!

You can bring a cake in yourself, but they will not serve it for you. They can only have Disney-made cakes back in the kitchen.

You could place an order for a cake that simple through the Poly (it appears that the GF makes all the cakes for the Poly, so you can order either way, but I'd only hassle with ordering through the GF if it were an elaborate, fondant-covered cake).

Painting of the white chocolate figures costs extra - I believe the prices are listed in the FAQ in Post #1. It's something like $40-$60 more.... Yes, GF would make the cake.

14. lurkyloo

lurkyloo The Attic was just perfect!

It would definitely be just a gesture - a mini cake makes 2 big pieces for 2 adults. For that many people, they'd each get 1 or 2 forkfuls. You might want to have the bakery quote both sizes. I just got a 2-tier fondant-covered cake from the Contemporary that was bigger than a mini cake but smaller than a 6-inch (a 3-inch atop a 5-inch) for $75. The last fancy 6-inch I got there cost $100.

$30-$45

I'd order for 1900 PF or Coral Reef (via Yacht & Beach). Y&BC can replicate the coral and shells cake.

Very limited. They do screen prints though.

15. Wanna be Ariel

Wanna be Ariel DIS Veteran

16. phi2012

phi2012 Mouseketeer

17. Leanne1977

Leanne1977 Loving frozen margaritas

Thank you Lurkyloo, thats most helpful.:thumbsup2

18. bizzybee3

bizzybee3 Earning My Ears

I am SO excited because my daughter's cake is officially ordered from the Contemporary for our dinner this Friday night at The Crystal Palace!

I was having a mini panick attack last week over not hearing back from Brian, but learned (just as LurkyLoo and TiggerTrigger had predicted) that they had been slammed with the wedding show and staff vacations. But all is well, and I cannot wait to see her birthday cake. Hopefully I will have enough posts by then that I will be able to post photos of the cake for all to see.

BTW, her cake will be Mad Hatter style lemon with strawberry mousse, topped with fondant over vanilla buttercream frosting.

19. Wanna be Ariel

Wanna be Ariel DIS Veteran

This sounds so good:) I cant wait to see pictures and hear about the cake.

20. TiggerTrigger

TiggerTrigger Also HouCuseChickie

Great news!!! So glad it all worked out. :goodvibes

21. tarheelmjfan

tarheelmjfan <font color=red>Proud Redhead<br><font color=blue>

Some of you are very creative. Would you mind helping me with decorating ideas for my DS's 21st birthday cake? I'm calling the Swan/Dolphin tomorrow to order a cake for this weekend. From what they told my DH, they don't offer anything more that writing Happy Birthday on their cakes. I'm going to ask, if we can bring in some decorations to put on it. So far, the only thing we've come up with is a friend's suggestion to use mini liquor bottles. What could I add to those? I've looked online & can't find anything that I think will work. If I do order online, I'll have to order from a site that offers 2 day or overnight shipping. TIA for the help. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.