OFFICIAL Disney Cake Chatter Thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have suggestions on where to purchase a cake from?? The more I look at these pictures of the cakes the more I want one. But, been reading that some places do better jobs than the other ones. We were thinking going to Chef Mickey, since we are going there the evening we arrive for dinner with the kids and thought it would be a good way to welcome the kids with the surprise... Anyone's thought welcome! ;)

I just called and talked to Pat at GF. I ordered a six inch vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream filling with a surfing Stitch theme to be delivered to our dinner at Ohana's on the 20th for my DS's 14th birthday celebration. Pat quoted me $66 for the cake. I didn't give her too many instruction details other than the theme. I thought I would just see how creative they will be with it. Hopefully this wasn't a bad idea! I'll post pictures when we get back. ;)

I'd just look for regular-size cakes you like and then ask the chef to interpret them as mini cakes (they will not be as elaborate on a small scale but it will have the feel).

To order at the Contemporary you call the number in Post #2 and request the pastry chef's email. Then you send him the photo and description of what you want and he gets back to you with a price. Then you call the number again and place your order. They connect it with the info you sent the chef.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer! I will do exactly what you said...and I'll find some cakes that I like by browsing around.

One more probably silly question...

I saw on another thread, I think an old post, about a restaurant transferring unfinished cake back to a room for a family. This isn't something that's possible is it? We are eating at Chef Mickey's and after dinner are heading back to MK, so I don't want to lug a half-finished cake with us. This is why I was only going to order a mini cake...it was the only size I was sure would be fully eaten. So..Disney won't deliver it back to POR right? I know it's probably silly, but I would kick myself if I didn't ask.

A friends family and my family are meeting in DW in October. Our girls are going to be 3 while we're there. We are doing BBB the morning of and are going to CRT for lunch or dinner. We aren't overly thrilled with the Princess package - but still want to celebrate. Can we bring in our own cake at the time of the dinner? What bakery do you recommend?

The only place to pickup a cake at WDW is BoardWalk Bakery. But you could get that a "podium cake" by asking at the podium when you check in for CRT. There are also other options besides the princess cake at CRT, like the chocolate slipper dessert and pretty much any kind of mini cake or regular-sized cake you and the Contemporary's pastry team can dream up. See Post #2 for ordering info. :thumbsup2

Does anyone have suggestions on where to purchase a cake from?? The more I look at these pictures of the cakes the more I want one. But, been reading that some places do better jobs than the other ones. We were thinking going to Chef Mickey, since we are going there the evening we arrive for dinner with the kids and thought it would be a good way to welcome the kids with the surprise... Anyone's thought welcome! ;)

I think you'll be in good hands with the Contemporary's pastry team for your meal at Chef Mickey. :goodvibes

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer! I will do exactly what you said...and I'll find some cakes that I like by browsing around.

Can't wait to see what you get!

One more probably silly question...

I saw on another thread, I think an old post, about a restaurant transferring unfinished cake back to a room for a family. This isn't something that's possible is it? We are eating at Chef Mickey's and after dinner are heading back to MK, so I don't want to lug a half-finished cake with us. This is why I was only going to order a mini cake...it was the only size I was sure would be fully eaten. So..Disney won't deliver it back to POR right? I know it's probably silly, but I would kick myself if I didn't ask.

The only way I could imagine this ever happening is if you were staying at the Contemporary and got either an extremely generous restaurant CM or Bell Services to do it. Depending on how hardy your cake is, the leftovers might survive a few hours in a locker at the MK, but I like the mini cakes for their, uh, finishability! :teeth:

The only way I could imagine this ever happening is if you were staying at the Contemporary and got either an extremely generous restaurant CM or Bell Services to do it. Depending on how hardy your cake is, the leftovers might survive a few hours in a locker at the MK, but I like the mini cakes for their, uh, finishability! :teeth:

Thanks so much! I think I'll just go for a mini and not take a chance having to worry about it :thumbsup2

Help!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in Disney now for 2 birthdays. Tomorrow at crystal palace and Monday at akershus. Can I get the info to make the calls from here?

Also, what are my options for a small cake or special dessert tonight at 1900 park fare?

Tia!!!!!!

Help!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in Disney now for 2 birthdays. Tomorrow at crystal palace and Monday at akershus. Can I get the info to make the calls from here?

Also, what are my options for a small cake or special dessert tonight at 1900 park fare?

Tia!!!!!!

For Akershus, call 407-560-6395. You may need to call a few times before someone picks up, but you still have enough time to order.

Disney's window for custom cakes is 48 hours, so I'm not sure the Contemporary will be able to help you out on a custom cake for tomorrow at Crystal Palace, but it never hurts to ask: 407-824-2955

You could try calling Grand Floridian Private Dining about a Cinderella Slipper dessert for 1900 Park Fare tonight, but again, it's well beyond the 48-hour deadline so they may turn you down: 407-824-1951 Maybe they'd be able to rustle up some chocolate-covered strawberries or a cookie plate or something.

At the very least, you can get a chocolate/chocolate or vanilla/vanilla cake by asking at the podium of any of these restaurants when you get there. They cost $21 and are supermarket caliber (not terrible, especially if you actually like supermarket cake like I do!).

Also, most places have a free birthday cupcake they can bring out if you ask. That might be the way to go at 1900 Park Fare tonight.

not sure about custom cakes, but they did a cinderella slipper for me on less than 24 hour notice as i didnt know about them beforehand and DD was thrilled. :)

Has anyone ever ordered a gluten free cake that was just GF and not the premade one that is egg, dairy, etc free as well? We will be in Disney in May with the kids but are hoping to do dinner at Le Cellier to celebrate our anniversary and I was hoping to order a cake we can both eat. I'm only wheat free nothing else and I've eaten enough dairy, egg, etc free to know that it just doesn't taste as good.

I haven't had cake in so long and as I usually would be eating sweets nonstop at Disney with being wheat free now that isn't likely to happen. Would love this as a special treat.

Any idea if this is an option or where I should start asking.

TIA

Heather

Has anyone ever ordered a gluten free cake that was just GF and not the premade one that is egg, dairy, etc free as well? We will be in Disney in May with the kids but are hoping to do dinner at Le Cellier to celebrate our anniversary and I was hoping to order a cake we can both eat. I'm only wheat free nothing else and I've eaten enough dairy, egg, etc free to know that it just doesn't taste as good.

I haven't had cake in so long and as I usually would be eating sweets nonstop at Disney with being wheat free now that isn't likely to happen. Would love this as a special treat.

Any idea if this is an option or where I should start asking.

TIA

Heather

I'm not sure how to link it, but post 690 of this thread shows a gluten-free custom anniversary cake I ordered in the summer. It was from Chef Mickey's.

You can also order a cake from Babycakes to be delivered to the Disney restaurants. They offered a simple 6", 9", or 12" with a simple piped message on top. You would have to call them directly to arrange.

We have reservations at the Chef Mickey's on 1/22 for 5 adults and 4 children. We'd like to get a "fancy cake" for my niece, who's turning 5. She looooves Ariel. From what it sounds like, Chef Brian is the guy to talk to. :) I've spent an hour combing this thread, and the other "Cake Chatter" threads, but only came across 2 Ariel designs. Could anyone post pics or links to any great Ariel-themed cakes? Thanks so much in advance!

I will be in WDW for my daughter's BD on 2/6, dinner is at Teppan Edo. She is a huge Stitch fan - does anyone know if I can get a chocolate Stitch to go on the cake there? Is there any place I can see a photo of the chocolate Stitch figure?

Unfortunately, the white chocolate figures are only available at a few of the Deluxe Disney resorts and locations serviced by them (which Teppan Edo is not). Complete info is in Posts #1 & #2.

Here are some photos of Stitch for you:

file-22.jpg

file-20.jpg

lurkyloo said:
Unfortunately, the white chocolate figures are only available at a few of the Deluxe Disney resorts and locations serviced by them (which Teppan Edo is not). Complete info is in Posts #1 & #2.

Here are some photos of Stitch for you:

Thanks for the pix, that would be so perfect, but she insists on Teppan Edo for her BD dinner, so I guess I'll just get her a cake without Stitch!! Thanks again!

We have reservations at the Chef Mickey's on 1/22 for 5 adults and 4 children. We'd like to get a "fancy cake" for my niece, who's turning 5. She looooves Ariel. From what it sounds like, Chef Brian is the guy to talk to. :) I've spent an hour combing this thread, and the other "Cake Chatter" threads, but only came across 2 Ariel designs. Could anyone post pics or links to any great Ariel-themed cakes? Thanks so much in advance!

I had a really cool idea for an Ariel cake, but I just couldn't stomach the potential cost for my idea. Not sure what your budget is...but if it's on the higher end...it might work. It involved the sandcastle topper ($160 just for the topper)...fondant marbled to look like water...see grass & coral climbing the sides and back of the cake...edible images of Ariel and Flounder swimming front & center w/Sebastian spying on them through the sea grass just off from the center portion of the cake.

I scrapped the idea b/c I couldn't see spending that much on the topper, but it would turn out to be a cool cake if they could do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter