OFFICIAL Disney Cake Chatter Thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if I want to order the Mickey Head cake for an ADR at Chef Mickey's in a few weeks, I just call the Contemporary cake number and they will have it ready for me on that date? Just want to be sure I have this all straight! :)

I'm so indecisive. Probably has to do with the fact that I've been thinking of this since a year and a half out from our trip :rotfl:
We now have more of our trip details hashed out, ADRs made, and I am trying to figure out where to get my cake from. I am looking to keep it somewhat not extremely expensive, but want something that really looks nice. My options for where to get it: dinner at Ohana one night (so from GF) dinner at Whispering Canyon one night (if I'm reading right, delivered from Contemporary) or delivered to our room at Boardwalk (obviously from Boardwalk bakery). So, I've been trying to do some research, but does anybody have some good/bad reviews of each place? How the ordering process went, how detailed they were, how much it cost?
Also, I'm still wavering on the theme. My BF, who the cake is for, looooves pin trading. Got sucked in last time we were down. So I thought maybe I could figure out a pin trading design. But then I thought, we both really love Jungle Cruise, and it has kind of become "our ride". So that's a thought. Then I see the pictures of the coral/shells cakes and think "oo, DBf loves the ocean and sea life, that could be lovely too!" I just can't decide!
ETA: Oh, and does anybody know how much one of those beautiful sand castle toppers would run me?

Just called and ordered a cake for my sons birthday in 3 weeks. Spoke with a very nice CM named Pat. Ordered a 6" vanilla cake with white chocolate mousse filling, vanilla buttercream frosting. It will be covered in blue fondant with white clouds (Toy Story, Andy's Room wallpaper). I also asked for Toy Story characters on top. Cost $66 plus tax/gratuity. To be delivered to Kona at Poly. She also asked me to let her know how I liked it. I was very impressed with the service and what I was able to get for the price. I will post a pic when I return.

We wanted an 8" cake, buttercream frosting, chocolate all the way but with Lady and Tramp on it. We wanted to know if we could have it at the Spirit of Alpha show we already have adr for? Does anyone have pics of a Lady and the Tramp cake? Anyone know if it.can be served at the luau? Who would I call to book this? Thanks a million.

I haven't seen a Lady & the Tramp cake in recent memory, but I can tell you that if you want a fancy, fondant-covered cake delivered *anywhere* at the Polynesian, including the Luau, you should call the number for Private Dining at the Grand Floridian (see Post #2). If you want a supermarket-style buttercream cake, call Private Dining at the Poly (post 2 again).

So if I want to order the Mickey Head cake for an ADR at Chef Mickey's in a few weeks, I just call the Contemporary cake number and they will have it ready for me on that date? Just want to be sure I have this all straight! :)

Yep!

So, I've been trying to do some research, but does anybody have some good/bad reviews of each place? How the ordering process went, how detailed they were, how much it cost?

Having read these threads for about 6 years now, I can say that people have had good and bad experiences with all three places. My take:

• The Grand Floridian charges the most and does the fanciest stuff, but the customer service experience varies widely—some people have no trouble getting exactly what they want, others are treated as though they asked for the moon and offered very few options.
  • The Contemporary has the best prices on custom cakes and can do very elaborate cakes as long as you are specific about what you want. You also get to work directly with the pastry chef via email.
  • BoardWalk Bakery has not turned out as many fancy cakes historically but can rise to the occasion when asked. Prices fall between the Contemporary's and the GF's. Fewer flavor options may be available.

Oh, and does anybody know how much one of those beautiful sand castle toppers would run me?

That's the "small" sandcastle cake topper, which costs $165.

Well, it's day 2 and I am still waiting for Eric to call me back. I am just a little sad as I thought he would have called by now. Any suggestions as to what I should do? Thank you:)

Having read these threads for about 6 years now, I can say that people have had good and bad experiences with all three places. My take:

• The Grand Floridian charges the most and does the fanciest stuff, but the customer service experience varies widely—some people have no trouble getting exactly what they want, others are treated as though they asked for the moon and offered very few options.
  • The Contemporary has the best prices on custom cakes and can do very elaborate cakes as long as you are specific about what you want. You also get to work directly with the pastry chef via email.
  • BoardWalk Bakery has not turned out as many fancy cakes historically but can rise to the occasion when asked. Prices fall between the Contemporary's and the GF's. Fewer flavor options may be available.

Thanks for all the info. I'm kind of leaning towards ordering from the Contemporary, I just like the fact that if I order it to our room at Boardwalk there is no transporting it back or carrying it around.

That's the "small" sandcastle cake topper, which costs $165.

:scared1: Well, I'd say that's probably out then... Too bad, I have pretty much fallen in love with it :sad1:

I just wanted to pop on and report my experience ordering a cake for our upcoming trip. Called the Contemporary yesterday and left a message, and they called back this morning. I didn't write down the name of the CM I spoke to, but she was very helpful. She explained the celebration cakes but didn't push them, and when I told her I wanted a mini wedding cake she was familiar with what I wanted and knowledgeable about the options and size. There will be 4 of us for dinner and she advised us that the cake only serves 2, but I know my girls are going to want CG's rice crispy sushi and we can't tote leftovers along because we'll be headed to the MK for a 3am EMH close after dinner. I think the mini cake will be the perfect size for my mother and I, who are both celebrating our birthdays with this one "splurge" dinner on an otherwise budget trip. She also double checked with the bakery to make sure they could do the particular flavor I wanted, and was very cheery about it, telling me she learned something new today. :) All in all it was a much smoother ordering process than ordering from the rather surly staff at GF for my kids' birthday trips back in '07 and '08!

So this is what I ordered - two-tier mini wedding cake, with vanilla cake, passion fruit mousse filling, buttercream frosting, bright decor in Figment's colors. The total price is $40, which is quite a jump from back in '07/8 when I paid $40 for a 10" cake but still not outrageous (after all, we'd have spent $25ish on two regular desserts at CG), and $5 of that is the upcharge for a custom flavor combination. I'll post pics when we get home.

I just wanted to pop on and report my experience ordering a cake for our upcoming trip. Called the Contemporary yesterday and left a message, and they called back this morning. I didn't write down the name of the CM I spoke to, but she was very helpful. She explained the celebration cakes but didn't push them, and when I told her I wanted a mini wedding cake she was familiar with what I wanted and knowledgeable about the options and size. There will be 4 of us for dinner and she advised us that the cake only serves 2, but I know my girls are going to want CG's rice crispy sushi and we can't tote leftovers along because we'll be headed to the MK for a 3am EMH close after dinner. I think the mini cake will be the perfect size for my mother and I, who are both celebrating our birthdays with this one "splurge" dinner on an otherwise budget trip. She also double checked with the bakery to make sure they could do the particular flavor I wanted, and was very cheery about it, telling me she learned something new today. :) All in all it was a much smoother ordering process than ordering from the rather surly staff at GF for my kids' birthday trips back in '07 and '08!

So this is what I ordered - two-tier mini wedding cake, with vanilla cake, passion fruit mousse filling, buttercream frosting, bright decor in Figment's colors. The total price is $40, which is quite a jump from back in '07/8 when I paid $40 for a 10" cake but still not outrageous (after all, we'd have spent $25ish on two regular desserts at CG), and $5 of that is the upcharge for a custom flavor combination. I'll post pics when we get home.

I'm excited to see how this turns out!! I'm glad the ordering went smoothly. We will be ordering from the Contemporary as well (not for a couple of months), but it makes me feel better that it all went so easily. I'm looking forward to pictures, have fun!:cake:

I just ordered this week from the Contmeporary, too! Brian was great to work with, and I'm so excited to see what he comes up with for DD's birthday. The CM who answered the private dining line (who told me her name, but I have now forgotten) was excellent as well. I can't wait to see DD's reaction to her cake! :cool1:

Well, I guess I have to call someone tomorrow for a cake as Eric never called me back:( Not sure who to call, but, for sure I won't call him..

I finally got a hold of someone and ordered a cake. I went simple with a vanilla 8" cake that says "Happy 28th Anniversary" with purple writing and trim which were my parents wedding colors.

My daughter wants a Rapunzel cake for her 7th birthday in November. I haven't seen any pictures of Rapunzel cakes. Does anyone have any ideas?

My daughter wants a Rapunzel cake for her 7th birthday in November. I haven't seen any pictures of Rapunzel cakes. Does anyone have any ideas?

Well, my dream Rapunzel cake involves sculpting the tower; however, that's a pretty extreme cake and I haven't seen any of the WDW bakeries do anything on that level. The good news...I sketched a Rapunzel cake last year when I was trying to work up cake designs for DD5's bday cake.

My final Rapunzel cake sketch (that hit the trashcan b/c we went with Belle) involved the cake being designed like one of the lanterns/floating lights. i.e. I went with one of the pastels...had the corresponding darker color making the sun marking on the 4 sides. The base of the cake was decorated by a blonde fondant braid with bright colored sugar flowers (small gerbera style daisies). I couldn never decide on a top that I loved since everything had to involve 2D images on white chocolate stand ups or toys. I prefer everything to be edible on a cake so the final design involved an edible 2d standup image on white chocolate showing Rapunzel, Flynn, Pascal, Maximus and the tower...as well as some 3D sugar flowers to garnish the edges of the images in the same style (but larger) from what was in the braid border.

Most of my friends really liked the sketch, but the Belle cake was the winner b/c of the white chocolate 3D edible Belle topper. Oh well- hope this idea helps. :goodvibes

MissDisney121, what number did you call? I will try tomorrow again to speak with someone..Thank you

Actually I'm looking for a cake at Walt Disney World.

Any particular bakery? Resort? The lantern cake I suggested is something I would have asked for from a WDW bakery had we gone with the Rapunzel theme. The various WDW bakeries can really do a lot, especially if you can put together a sketch w/your design. When we did DD5's Belle cake- I emailed back and forth with Chef Brian at the Contemporary's Bakery to create her cake.

Ok- I've got MONTHS to plan this, but I wanted some thoughts since this may wind up requiring some extra work on my part.

We're planning on going in Nov as a treat for DD3's 4th bday. Her big sis got a lovely cake made by Chef Brian for her 5th bday (pictured below).

6063052996_8aa7c881a1.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

So, I was planning on something similar for DD3 for her bday. Her princess is Ariel- so......i.e. instead of frames of gold and flowers, it woud be frames and accents of coral, starfish, seaweed etc. framing pics of Flounder, Sebastian, Scuttle and 4th on the back side (maybe Max or even King Triton) ...and instead of a white and yellow marbled fondant, it would be multiple shades of blue and turquoise marbled with a posible luster finish. I'd love to have a white chocolate Ariel on top surrounded by an intricate backdrop of coral...the problem...they don't offer a white chocolate Ariel. :sad:

Obviously, I could have them transfer an edible image of Ariel to some white chocolate and stand it up in the center of the cake, but the whole 2D thing leaves me pretty cold. I don't consider buying a toy an option since one of my big rules for cakes (ones I make and ones I purchase) is that any toppers or decorations must be edible. While I'm hardly a pro and some of my work was more of a learning process than a success...you can see from my cake gallery that I really try to stay true to this "must be edible" rule. Gallery --> http://www.flickr.com/photos/houcusechickie/sets/72157624710575326/ SO, in any event, a plastic topper is just not an option.

So, the only other option I know of if I really want her to look spot on, be edible and be 3D is to buy an Ariel toy, buy some silicone mold making materials, and try and mold her out of some gumpaste/fondant...then hand paint her. I've never done molds like this before...so it would also be another learning process. I was planning on delving into this technique anyway since her home bday cake is supposed to be Dora themed...I just don't know about the stress in all of this since it's a lot of work and I'd have to hide it from her (i.e. only work when she's asleep).

Does anyone have any thoughts about how I can pull this off w/o either settling for a 2D topper or making it myself? I've just never seen anyone get a WDW cake where the chef has handmade a 3d edible character. TIA :goodvibes

Can I ask you how much did this cake cost and how many inches did it had?? We are celebrating my DD 9th birthday this August and she really wants a Belle cake, we are going to have lunch at Cinderella's Royal Table with a couple of her friends so I guest I can order through the CR Bakery. Thank you !!

Can I ask you how much did this cake cost and how many inches did it had?? We are celebrating my DD 9th birthday this August and she really wants a Belle cake, we are going to have lunch at Cinderella's Royal Table with a couple of her friends so I guest I can order through the CR Bakery. Thank you !!

Sure! If memory serves correctly...it was an 8" round and cost $150. If you want to see other pics of it, I just checked and found it on pg 197 of the Cake Chatter II thread. :goodvibes

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2413710&highlight=cake+chatter+ii&page=197

Sorry, I'm sure some of these questions have been asked & answered before, but I'm new to the Cake Chatter! We want a cake to celebrate my DS's 2nd birthday which falls during our trip in October. I had thought of picking it up from the Contemporary Bakery as we left MK for the day, but I see on the thread you can only pick up from the Boardwalk Bakery, so I guess we will have to get it from there instead. My question is just about the standard 6-in cake since we will definitely not need more than that. Can you get any personalization done on those cakes or not? Also, are there any pictures of it anywhere so I can see what I'm ordering? I see the links to the more fancy cakes, but didn't know if I was skipping over pictures of the 6-in chocolate on chocolate cakes. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter