Official DISNEY Cake Chatter Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I don't remember the size, but it was quite big (maybe 10 or 12 inch). Actually, come to think about it, I didn't ask for a size, just the filling that I wanted and they type of cake. It was chocolate cake, chocolate mousse filling and chocolate buttercream, with some sort of chocolate fondant on the top. The decorations were amazing. It was $125 delivered to the room.

Thank you. They were certainly beautiful cakes and really worth it for that price. Especially how much your kids enjoyed them. That's priceless:)

thanks to those of you who advised me to call back and get the email for Brian a few weeks back. DD had her birthday dinner last week at California Grill and the cake was perfect!

8" cake, vanilla with chocolate and dark chocolate filling, $135

dayfour-151.jpg

dayfour-153.jpg

I'm so excited to finally post a photo of the amazing cake I ordered as a surprise groom's cake for my now husband!!!

I ordered it through Pat Anderson at the Grand Floridian, since we were having our Welcome Dinner at 1900 Park Fare that evening. I have to say I was VERY nervous about how this was all going to pan out because it was all ordered over email with the GF coordinator-no emails with the chef, no written summary of my order, no receipt of payment:scared1: But I took my chances & I have to say, this cake FAR exceeded my expectations-it was truly amazing!!!

I emailed Pat several photos of "My Adventure Book" from Disney-Pixar's "Up" but I wanted it to say "OUR Adventure Book" instead. I stressed that I did not want it to be photo screened-I wanted a handmade cake. Pat let me know it would be mostly hand done, but they do use photo screening for the globe and the letters, but they would hand pipe over the lettering.

Without further ado......
GroomsCake2.jpg

It came out PERFECTLY!! My DH was so surprised and our guests were blown away by the detail. It took my DH a few minutes to even realize it was a cake-he thought it was an actual book LOL! It was a 1/4 sheet cake. The outside was chocolate and it had a peanut butter filling. The top was solid chocolate. Total cost was $200 and worth every penny. The cake was very yummy and it was enormous! We had 23 people in our party and we had a ton left over.

The other person I would like to pay recognition to is Kevin Filipello, the manager of 1900 Park Fare. He was so wonderful and so helpful in ensuring the cake would come out on time and be presented well :)

I'm so excited to finally post a photo of the amazing cake I ordered as a surprise groom's cake for my now husband!!!

I ordered it through Pat Anderson at the Grand Floridian, since we were having our Welcome Dinner at 1900 Park Fare that evening. I have to say I was VERY nervous about how this was all going to pan out because it was all ordered over email with the GF coordinator-no emails with the chef, no written summary of my order, no receipt of payment:scared1: But I took my chances & I have to say, this cake FAR exceeded my expectations-it was truly amazing!!!

I emailed Pat several photos of "My Adventure Book" from Disney-Pixar's "Up" but I wanted it to say "OUR Adventure Book" instead. I stressed that I did not want it to be photo screened-I wanted a handmade cake. Pat let me know it would be mostly hand done, but they do use photo screening for the globe and the letters, but they would hand pipe over the lettering.

Without further ado......
GroomsCake2.jpg

It came out PERFECTLY!! My DH was so surprised and our guests were blown away by the detail. It took my DH a few minutes to even realize it was a cake-he thought it was an actual book LOL! It was a 1/4 sheet cake. The outside was chocolate and it had a peanut butter filling. The top was solid chocolate. Total cost was $200 and worth every penny. The cake was very yummy and it was enormous! We had 23 people in our party and we had a ton left over.

The other person I would like to pay recognition to is Kevin Filipello, the manager of 1900 Park Fare. He was so wonderful and so helpful in ensuring the cake would come out on time and be presented well :)

What a great idea for a groom's cake. Absolutely adorable.

Ordered from Contemporary. Spoke to a rude CM when ordering but I got her to confirm exactly what we wanted which consisted of two cakes with NO flowers. I was more than exited about ordering and was very nice to her but she must have had a bad day, I let it go. When the cakes where delivered to our room the fondant had a huge bubble on the front top layer and we hired a photographer for a few hours for our Daughters 1st birthday party. Needless to say we had no time to re-do the cake. They sent a nice person to our room to try and fix. His only option was to use flowers and it did not look too bad and we did not have another option. We ordered fresh fruit on both layers for the big cake and it was made with none. The mini Minnie cake was just for my Daughter and was carrot cake and we found out after she started eating it that it had peanuts! We never heard of carrot cake with peanuts but I guess they do that down south? They knew it was for a 1 year old but never told us. You think they would have common sense to tell people that there are nuts in the cake. Anyway, my Daughter did not have an allergic reaction and she had a blast but for almost $500 I was not too happy.

Original cakes
6573032811_f70a279ee5_b.jpg

New flowered cake
6573121729_7927fc9d2f_b.jpg

Time to eat!
6573035919_9190ed3ffc_b.jpg

First taste of cake!
6573039191_53161c21ff_b.jpg

The next day I went to front desk and spoke to a great manager who took the cost of the cake off our bill. We still had to pay sixty or so dollars for the tip but I was fine with that. We will most likely not order a cake from the Contemporary and stick with The Grand Floridian Bakery.

Our perfect Wedding cake from GF
2712023930_c9c76eae8f_b.jpg

I'm sorry about your bad experience. But, generally here in the south, we use pecans or walnuts in a carrot cake, I have never heard of peanuts in a carrot cake.

This is one reason I may not order a cake, also, we will be doing the dessert party one evening and we have the DxDDP for 3 nights and the DDP for 4 nights. And I love to visit the Patisserie at the French pavilion at Epcot.

I'm sorry about your bad experience. But, generally here in the south, we use pecans or walnuts in a carrot cake, I have never heard of peanuts in a carrot cake.

This is one reason I may not order a cake, also, we will be doing the dessert party one evening and we have the DxDDP for 3 nights and the DDP for 4 nights. And I love to visit the Patisserie at the French pavilion at Epcot.

Thank you PrincessSuzanne, you are correct, it was pecans or walnuts in the carrot cake I was just generalizing. My point was that you are not supposed to give a child under 1 any kind of peanuts and even though it was her 1st b-day we did not want to test her allergic reaction to nuts on vacation. We just did not know some people use nuts in carrot cake and the CM who took our order should have told us knowing it was for child. I love the Patisserie too! Have fun on your next vacation!

I'm sorry it wasn't the way you wanted it. But I think they are beautiful cakes!!! Even with the flowers. And the pics of your daughter with the cake are absolutely precious!!

Thank you elgerber! We do love the pictures and our Daughter had so much fun tearing into that cake. It took her a few minutes before she realized she could have at it and seeing that build up was precious! We didn't think flowers would go with a Minnie Mouse themed cake and we told the CM that was one thing we did not want and let them do what they wanted so it figures it worked out that way. It did not look to bad but it seemed everything that was wrong just did not sit well with me for that kind of $$ and all the hype this bakery has received on here we expected more.

Thank you PrincessSuzanne, you are correct, it was pecans or walnuts in the carrot cake I was just generalizing. My point was that you are not supposed to give a child under 1 any kind of peanuts and even though it was her 1st b-day we did not want to test her allergic reaction to nuts on vacation. We just did not know some people use nuts in carrot cake and the CM who took our order should have told us knowing it was for child. I love the Patisserie too! Have fun on your next vacation!

I think it just comes down to different recipes. I grew up in NJ and lived in upstate NY for a while and most of the carrot cakes I had up there had walnuts. I've lived in FL and TX since then and they like to add in pecans to give it a more regional feel. DD5 is peanut and tree nut allergic and we were told that the Disney carrot cake option through the Contemporary bakery was one of the flavors that would be off limits for us. It's really too bad that they didn't realize that nuts of any kind are totally off limits for a 1 year old. I guess maybe it's part of being a parent- but to me it almost is implied as a dietary/allergy issue when you say the cake is for a 1 yr old. Having seen my child have severe allergic reactions, I'm very happy that your daughter's cake experience was reaction free. The bubble on the other hand is insane. I do cakes on the side and I can't even fathom how they'd get a bubble like that. Oh well- the did what they could to cover it up.

Some of you may have seen my posts about difficulties working with Pat on a cake for my friend's daughter's Sweet 16. Well, thankfully we were able to work things out and here is the cake...

6597469697_aa0b014e92.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

They loved it (daughter refused to eat it for a few days, wanted me to figure out a way to preserve it, even drove from WDW to Houston, TX with the cake literally strapped into the passenger seat :lmao:) and the staff at 'Ohana did an excellent job at surprising her with it...I on the other hand was a tad disappointed. The writing on the left side of the upper scroll could have been smaller and more neatly done...basically so that you could read that whole line "...Allie met a Mouse." We supplied the topper and the picture is the birthday girl's first Mickey meeting when she was 5 years old. The wording on the actual cake reads "Magically ever after" and the "i" in Magically is dotted by Tinkerbell. The white chocolate scrolled note off to the side was more 2-dimensional than I wanted and the writing was also a bit sloppy. I also don't love how they did the two-tone wording on the actual cake. Then again- since I do cake design and custom cakes on the side- I'm super picky. Everyone else thinks it's stunning- so clearly I'm just being super picky. :rotfl2: Sadly - this is the only cake pic she's uploaded so far, so this is all I've got.

The cake is an 8" lemon cake with buttercream...cost $127.

Which reminds me- I know most of us (myself included) have had our cakes tacked onto our restaurant tabs. My friend's cake was charged to her card before her meal. They were a party of 7- so that meant she didn't have to pay 18% gratuity on the cake and the meal like so many of us have done.

What: Heart Shaped Chocolate Brownie
Where: Plaza Restaurant
When: July 2011
Flavor: Brownie with strawberries and chocolate Mickey heads

This was absolutely DELICIOUS! I highly reccommend ordering! Absolutely outstanding.

5032.jpg

5029.jpg

5028a.jpg

This looks fabulous! Yum! Do you mind sharing how much it cost?

My daughters first birthday cake at the Grand Floridian Garden View Lounge

cake2.jpg

cake3.jpg

cake4.jpg

Top was chocolate peanut butter cup and bottom was yellow cake with Bavarian cream and fresh raspberries, with whipped cream icing. Smash cake was just yellow cake with white chocolate mousse

What: Heart Shaped Chocolate Brownie
Where: Plaza Restaurant
When: July 2011
Flavor: Brownie with strawberries and chocolate Mickey heads

This was absolutely DELICIOUS! I highly reccommend ordering! Absolutely outstanding.

5032.jpg

5029.jpg

5028a.jpg

This looks fabulous! Yum! Do you mind sharing how much it cost?

I don't remember the exact cost. But the brownie was fabulous and we ate off of it for many days! The Plaza boxed the remainder up for us and put it in a bag to take back to our villa.

Hi everyone! I'm new to this thread and pretty clueless about ordering a cake. My daughter's birthday is May 26 and she wants to eat at The Crystal Palace. Can I have a Haunted Mansion themed birthday cake delivered there? Can you please direct me to who I should call and how far ahead of time I should order this? Thanks so much!

Contact Private Dining at the Contemporary Resort (407-824-2955) and ask for the pastry chef's email so you can order a custom cake. Once you are in communication with him, you can describe exactly what you want and get a price quote. Then he will have you phone Private Dining again to place the order based on what you worked out. The Contemporary will deliver the cake to Crystal Palace (or any other MK table-service restaurant) at no additional charge.

I'd call to get the ball rolling about 2–4 weeks ahead of time.

I think it just comes down to different recipes. I grew up in NJ and lived in upstate NY for a while and most of the carrot cakes I had up there had walnuts. I've lived in FL and TX since then and they like to add in pecans to give it a more regional feel. DD5 is peanut and tree nut allergic and we were told that the Disney carrot cake option through the Contemporary bakery was one of the flavors that would be off limits for us. It's really too bad that they didn't realize that nuts of any kind are totally off limits for a 1 year old. I guess maybe it's part of being a parent- but to me it almost is implied as a dietary/allergy issue when you say the cake is for a 1 yr old. Having seen my child have severe allergic reactions, I'm very happy that your daughter's cake experience was reaction free. The bubble on the other hand is insane. I do cakes on the side and I can't even fathom how they'd get a bubble like that. Oh well- the did what they could to cover it up.

I too have had carrot cake all over the country & it's always had nuts. It's probably more uncommon for it not to have. Personally, I think the nuts make the cake.

As for the nut allergy, it may have something to do with the age of the person taking the order's kids. My DS is 19, & we weren't given a warning to wait until they were one to add nuts to their diet. Nut allergies weren't common then. If that person had older kids, they may not have known it was a problem. Someone probably needs to bring it to their attention. Until this was posted, it wouldn't have occurred to me to point out it had nuts. I would have thought the mom knew carrot cake usually has nuts, & they wouldn't have ordered that, if it wasn't what they wanted. I'm sure it was an innocent mistake that could have been made by many. If I were in that person's shoes, I would have done the same thing.

The bubble on the big cake was a totally different story. I wouldn't have been happy about that either. OP, I'm glad the cake still looked good with the flowers added. I'm sure that was disappointing.

So my DD12 wanted a custom cake at her birthday breakfast (yes actual birthday) at 1900 park fare! We ordered a chocolate cake with butter creme frosting with chip and dale and perry on top. I was quoted and charged $62plus tip. Our waitress at first only brought out a cupcake (after I had hand delivered her our order slip handed to me at the podium!) Thank God it wasn't a surprise because she would have ruined it for me! Anyway, I called two weeks prior and ordering was pretty easy!
811.jpg

Alright I know this must be covered somewhere in this thread, but I will be calling to order a cake next week and just wanted to confirm a few things:

1. I want to order a "fancy" cake to have delivered to our room at the Boardwalk Villas. Do I call the cake hotline, private dining or the Boardwalk Bakery directly?

2. For whichever I'm supposed to call, anyone have the number? :goodvibes

3. What is the smallest sized fondant covered cake that is offered, is it 6 or 8 inches? We are only two people, so I don't want anything HUGE. Update: I called Private Dining and they told me that only 10 inch cakes can be customized. I know I've seen 6 (Carrie's anniversary cake) and 8 inch cakes on here that have been covered in fondant and themed though. So which is right?

Thanks in advance for any answers...off to search for more info on the first 238 pages of this thread. :faint: :rotfl:

Ann

Hiya!

I wrote up a big FAQ on cake-ordering with phone numbers, etc. that might be helpful, here: http://disneytravelbabble.com/how-to/order-cake/

Update: I called Private Dining and they told me that only 10 inch cakes can be customized. I know I've seen 6 (Carrie's anniversary cake) and 8 inch cakes on here that have been covered in fondant and themed though. So which is right?

Availability varies by bakery, unfortunately: For example, the Contemporary won't customize a 6-inch, but the Grand Floridian will. I used to have BoardWalk Inn on the list of places that only customize 10-inch cakes or larger, but then a few people were able to get custom 6-inch cakes. Try calling the pastry chef directly: 407-939-2393

:thumbsup2

We leave for our trip a week from tomorrow, and last night, I got the wild idea to get a cake delivered to our fancy dinner at Narcoosee's for my mom's 65th birthday. I called the GF line at 9pm last night... 9pm!... thinking I'd find out what time to call back in the morning, and PAT ANSWERED! :thumbsup2

She was incredibly helpful getting an order in for a Haunted Mansion cake, and I told her that she and Brian are ROCK STARS on the internet, and she was completely blown away. :rotfl: I told her she has a following and I'd absolutely send her photos of the cake reveal.

FTR, we ordered a 10" vanilla cake, with one layer of chocolate ganache filling and one layer of vanilla filling, iced in dark chocolate, with a full out HM theme... she's doing tombstones with all of the family names on them, and adding stretching room portraits, etc. etc. I hope it's as cool as the one HM cake on saw on here... she was wonderful to speak with!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter