Official DISNEY Cake Chatter Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the link to Buttercup cakes. I just emailed Dani regarding an Up cake for my vow renewal in Dec. I am always a bit reluctant to go with Disney for cakes because of the mixed reviews on this board. In Sept I got a cake off site and was quite happy. Next month I'm getting a Publix cake for my daughter's birthday. We are doing a slipper at CRT for her, but no cake. I was thinking of have GF make the cake for the renewal, but if it won't be amazing, I don't want to spend the money. I th think I'd leave the topper to an Etsy artist if GF does the cake. The topper will be expensive in its own right. It Buttercup can do the whole job that would be great. We shall see.

first a thanks to everyone here for the variety of cakes posted - they helped me find the inspiration for the amazing grooms cake i suprised my (now) hubby with at our 1/25/11 DFTW - it was amazing!!!

Thanks for posting about those here! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the link to Buttercup cakes. I just emailed Dani regarding an Up cake for my vow renewal in Dec. I am always a bit reluctant to go with Disney for cakes because of the mixed reviews on this board. In Sept I got a cake off site and was quite happy. Next month I'm getting a Publix cake for my daughter's birthday. We are doing a slipper at CRT for her, but no cake. I was thinking of have GF make the cake for the renewal, but if it won't be amazing, I don't want to spend the money. I th think I'd leave the topper to an Etsy artist if GF does the cake. The topper will be expensive in its own right. It Buttercup can do the whole job that would be great. We shall see.

I'm planning on getting an Up cake too for our 10th anniversary in October! I was hoping to have Brian from the CR do it. I'm disappointed to hear that the GF bakery does the cakes for the Poly. That's where we're staying & I'm planning on having the cake delivered to the CL lounge in the evening, rather than to a restaurant. Does anyone know if I could contact the CR myself & have the cake delivered to the Poly, rather than going through their private dining?

I hope your experience with Dani is as great as ours was! She'd never seen Wall-E so she actually watched the movie after we put our order in, that way she'd get the details more exact. I thought that was great.

Just want to clear up some confusion about custom cakes for the Poly. Contemporary does not handle these. CR only handles MK, CR and WL and Ft Wilderness.

Just want to clear up some confusion about custom cakes for the Poly. Contemporary does not handle these. CR only handles MK, CR and WL and Ft Wilderness.

Thanks for the clarification. Maintaining my disappointment. Time to go through the gallery thread to look at some GF cakes. Maybe the FAQ in the first post could be updated to help clear up the confusion.

I know this information is somewhere in this thread since I know I read it before but there are so many pages I may never find it!

We are going to be celebrating our first anniversary at the California Grill in August and would like to order a custom cake (probably a recreation of the top layer of our cake since we didn't take it home and freeze it). How far in advance should I call Contemporary Private Dining to get this going?

We got our cake ordered from the Boardwalk Bakery! It's a one-tier mad hatter cake, shaped like the mad hatter's hat with a chesire cat fondant layer on top of it, and it's all chocolate...it's going to be rich! It came out at $135...thank goodness there's three of us splitting the price down the middle!

I do have a few more questions though...should I call to confirm that everything is going well with the cake? I've heard of some people doing that, but I don't want to be rude. Just wasn't sure if I should leave it up to them and just show up the day we pick it up or not.

Do they provide candles, plates, and utensils? Or should we bring our own?

Lastly, how late do the shuttles run from epcot...? We're picking up the cake at 8:30 (so that we have enough time to eat at the Biergarten at 6:45 beforehand and make it to pick it up), and we were going to have a little celebration out on the boardwalk. I'm wondering how long said celebration can go on before we have to hoof it back to Epcot to catch the Pop shuttle back to the resort.

(Also...just thought of this...the boardwalk has places that we can sit down at, right?)

We got our cake ordered from the Boardwalk Bakery! It's a one-tier mad hatter cake, shaped like the mad hatter's hat with a chesire cat fondant layer on top of it, and it's all chocolate...it's going to be rich! It came out at $135...thank goodness there's three of us splitting the price down the middle!

I do have a few more questions though...should I call to confirm that everything is going well with the cake? I've heard of some people doing that, but I don't want to be rude. Just wasn't sure if I should leave it up to them and just show up the day we pick it up or not.

Lastly, how late do the shuttles run from epcot...? We're picking up the cake at 8:30 (so that we have enough time to eat at the Biergarten at 6:45 beforehand and make it to pick it up), and we were going to have a little celebration out on the boardwalk. I'm wondering how long said celebration can go on before we have to hoof it back to Epcot to catch the Pop shuttle back to the resort.

(Also...just thought of this...the boardwalk has places that we can sit down at, right?)

The problem I see with this is, you will need to back inside Epcot by 9, when they close, in order to get the bus back to Pop Century. So really, you will have to pick up the cake and walk right back to Epcot. If you are not back there by 9, you will most likely not be able to get back in, to walk to the front entrance to catch your bus.
If by any chance, Hollywood Studios has extra magic evening hours that night, you could take a boat over there and catch the bus back to Pop.

We are on the wait list at BLT and since the cake I want I can get at Epcot or Poly I was wondering if I could pick up the cake myself at the Contemporary and bring it with us to dinner at Tutto Italia since that is where we will celebrate DH's birthday. I would rather it be a surprise but it doesn't look like that will be happening.

Also can I get the Mad Hatter cake at the contemporary?

I'm getting a cake for our vow renewal in December. If I order it from Buttercupcakes can I bring it with us to our tea reception at the Garden View Lounge following the ceremony or do I have to have the GF bakery make the cake if I want it served at the restaurant?

If I have to have the GF bakery make the cake to serve at the Lounge, am I amble to add my own topper? I would give it to them to place on the cake before they brought it out. TIA

What about a chocolate slipper? We got one for DD at 1900 PF. It's under 20 bucks.:thumbsup2

Who do I call to order this at the GF? What exactly do I ask for? We are having dd's birthday celebration at 1900 Park Fare, and she would love this!

thanks!

I am "new again" after being a lurker before our 2009 trip. I have been through 30+ cake chatter pages and haven't found the answer I'm looking for yet, so thought I'd ask here...

We are taking the Pirates and Pals Fireworks cruise and I would like to order a fondant covered themed birthday cake for my husband to have while on the cruise. Anyone know how to do this? We board at Contemporary Resort so I was hoping if we can't have a cake delivered onto the cruise directly, I could pick one up nearby.

Thanks!

How far in advance should I call Contemporary Private Dining to get this going?

Two weeks is good. :thumbsup2

There's not a lot that calling will do... As long as they seem to understand exactly what you want (pictures help!) you don't need to check in with them.

The bakery has utensils and napkins set out. They can probably get you paper plates at the counter. I wouldn't count on candles.

Lastly, how late do the shuttles run from epcot...? k. I'm wondering how long said celebration can go on before we have to hoof it back to Epcot to catch the Pop shuttle back to the resort.

I like elgerber's idea of taking a boat to DHS if they're having extra magic hours. Otherwise, you'll have to go out to the front of the BoardWalk Inn and catch a bus to Downtown Disney or whatever theme park is still open and then transfer to a Pop bus. At that point, it might be worth springing for a taxi.

There are tables and chairs all along the BoardWalk. There are also places to sit and eat inside the hotel—I'm partial to Bellvue Lounge.

We are on the wait list at BLT and since the cake I want I can get at Epcot or Poly I was wondering if I could pick up the cake myself at the Contemporary and bring it with us to dinner at Tutto Italia since that is where we will celebrate DH's birthday. I would rather it be a surprise but it doesn't look like that will be happening.

If your waitlist comes through you can just have the cake delivered to your room at BLT. Otherwise, if you have to pick up a cake, why not have it made at BoardWalk Bakery, which is within walking distance of Epcot and actually allows pick-ups? The Contemporary Bakery does not have a storefront—the only way you'd be able to pick up a cake would be if you can get them to deliver it someplace like the Contempo Cafe quick-service restaurant at the hotel or the front desk (two options I've heard worked at the Grand Floridian.... dunno about the Contemporary though!).

I'm getting a cake for our vow renewal in December. If I order it from Buttercupcakes can I bring it with us to our tea reception at the Garden View Lounge following the ceremony or do I have to have the GF bakery make the cake if I want it served at the restaurant?

Theoretically Disney restaurants are not supposed to let you bring in outside food like cakes. In practice, it seems like nobody has ever been hassled for doing it. I mean, you could be bringing in a cake that the GF made for your Disney wedding for all they know.

That said, it might just be easier to have the GF make it and deliver it to the restaurant. They won't accept your topper in advance, but you could give it to your server and ask him/her to put it on the cake before they brought it out.

Who do I call to order this at the GF? What exactly do I ask for? We are having dd's birthday celebration at 1900 Park Fare, and she would love this!

thanks!

Call the Cake Hotline number in the first post of this thread. :thumbsup2

We are taking the Pirates and Pals Fireworks cruise and I would like to order a fondant covered themed birthday cake for my husband to have while on the cruise. Anyone know how to do this? We board at Contemporary Resort so I was hoping if we can't have a cake delivered onto the cruise directly, I could pick one up nearby.

Call Private Dining at the Contemporary—407-824-2955. They can deliver the cake to the cruise for you.

True to form, I'm months late posting our cakes from October. We dealt with Brian from the CR and it turned out quite nice. We didn't want fondant because I don't like the taste and didn't want to waste it. We wanted a welcome cake for us/first visit cake for our daughter. At first I was thinking overboard and wanted a cake the shape of the Contemporary with the chocolate monorail going through it - lol. Then I relaxed. Went with grey as the main color. We wanted a touch of Mary Blair as she's our favorite Disney artist so we requested the 5 legged goat from the Contemp's mural (see picture we took from outside our room). We wanted it simple vanilla cake with buttercream but the inside turned out to be custard unfortunately. All in all, happy with the design, not thrilled with the wrong filling.

5470572643_4c7a605fee_z.jpg

5081307751_142295d7f5_z.jpg

We also had a little birthday cake made at the GF for our daughter's first birthday. It was basically one of the mini wedding cakes in yellow and white. It was beautiful and delicious. How I wish the first cake tasted ;) Our daughter, on the other hand, not having ever eaten refined sugar before had a lick of the icing then was afraid to go near the cake. All the more for me!

5470631427_c57d1d3f40_z.jpg

5470640189_da65f0c710_z.jpg

The ugly stepsisters made no bones about wanting the cake and would have been more than pleased to take it off our hands :D

How much does the mini wedding cake cost? Do you think it would be enough to feed 3 people (2 adults & a toddler) ???

Also, are they just made with vanilla cake/vanilla frosting and chocolate/chocolate or can you customize it? It doesn't really matter because van/van is fine with me...but I think it would be even better to have the strawberry mousse filling :goodvibes

I also have another question, completely unrelated! I have family travelling to Disney this year & want to have one of the chocolate platters delivered to their room at AKL. I know they change the platter (or maybe there are different ones to choose from :confused3) but I was just curious if anyone knows what they currently offer.

My second question regarding the AKL platter is that I want to pay for it, but I am not going on the trip. Can I pay over the phone by credit card? If not, I will just give my family a Disney giftcard or cash & tell them they will need it for something but I can't tell them what its for! ;)

My family also leaves the room early in the morning & they don't go back to their room until after EMH...so how early in the morning could I have it delivered? Or can I have it delivered say around supper time & then they'll just have it when they get back to their room? Are they able to write on the platter with chocolate drizzle? I'd like them to put a name on the platter if possible.

Sorry thats alot of questions! Any advice is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

How much does the mini wedding cake cost? Do you think it would be enough to feed 3 people (2 adults & a toddler) ???

Also, are they just made with vanilla cake/vanilla frosting and chocolate/chocolate or can you customize it? It doesn't really matter because van/van is fine with me...but I think it would be even better to have the strawberry mousse filling :goodvibes

=

This cake was $30 from the GF but I've had it be $25 at the Boardwalk bakery before. I think the choices are limited due to it's small size but I might be wrong. I've only ever gotten the vanilla. As for how much there is, some people say it's small but for us it lasts two adults two days. It's 4" round, fairly high for that size with about an 1.5" round top (all thin layers between buttercream). I love sweets but I guess I don't eat as much as some because for me it's a fairly large portion.

Haven't been able to read through this whole thread, but do I just call the main number to get a cake for CRT? It's DD's 5th birthday on our trip. Any help/advice is appreciated!

I looked through the listing of cake photos and didn't see anything with Pooh. Has anyone ever had a Pooh cake made?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter