Official DISNEY Cake Chatter Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called the Contemporary Private Dining line Wednesday morning and got Brian's email. I sent in my request for Jan 25th, but have not heard anything. I know many of you have commented on how quickly he responds, so I am starting to wonder if it did not go through. . .what to do???

Double check the email, it's quite long. He got back to me in 24 hrs.

Do they sell the small Mickey Head Cakes ($4) at the Contemporary? We will be at Chef Mickeys and there is no way we will finish a 8 inch custom cake and I don't want to carry the rest around MK. Would love to just order 3 of the snack size credit versions for each kid as a surprise.

Is there someplace in MK that sells them. I could purchase it before getting on the monorail to our ADR.

Ok. I want to make sure I have this right before I call. We have birthday ADRs at CRT. If I want a Princess Tiana cake made like the Tinkerbell cake, I need to call the Contemporary bakery right?

I want this base with the other top

IMG_3393.jpg

IMG_1040.jpg

HELP! I need some ideas to design a 10 yr anniversary cake for myself and dh. I love the wave of silver mickeys around the cake and I want something magical on top.. castle??? I am not sure.. Does anyone have any ideas?

Last year they were...

Cake Flavors
Chocolate
Vanilla
Marble

Filling Flavors
Buttercream
White Chocolate Mousse
Dark Chocolate Mousse
Fruit Mousse

Icing
White Buttercream
Chocolate Buttercream
Whipped Cream

However, since then cakes have been turning up with more interesting flavors, like red velvet. Only the pastry chef at the Contemporary can tell you for sure what's available, but for a list of ideas, check out the flavors and fillings available at the Grand Floridian:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1859670

Same as the Contemporary list above—more details here:

http://disneytravelbabble.com/how-to/order-cake/

This is another question for the pastry chef at your chosen resort because it seems to change all the time. Lately it's been nothing smaller than a 10-inch for BoardWalk Bakery and nothing smaller than an 8-inch for Contemporary, but, the other day someone posted a 6-inch from the Contemporary—may have to do with the size of the decorations requested.

Disney doesn't do yellow cake at any of its bakeries, unfortunately. Will vanilla do? Also, I've never seen foil Mickeys on ganache—I'd guess they don't adhere properly—but don't give up hope til you hear it from the pastry chef. ;)

Hope this helps!

It does, thanks! We've ordered cakes for our kids' birthday trips before, but only from the GF and we're not eating there this trip.

White will have to do instead of yellow, no big deal. But if there's a difference in the size they'll customize that might be the deciding factor. I'd rather not get a 10" again; we ate on our last two for days and still threw a lot of it out when we were leaving.

I did a little googling for ideas last night and I think I've come up with something (Photoshop + too much caffeine makes for some fun late night ideas), so I just need to call and see who can do it and for how much.

HELP! I need some ideas to design a 10 yr anniversary cake for myself and dh. I love the wave of silver mickeys around the cake and I want something magical on top.. castle??? I am not sure.. Does anyone have any ideas?

Well I guess it depends..... do you both have a favorite character, ride or movie? I had them do a Haunted Mansion cake for our anniversary. My husband loves the ride and for us it was magical (it was a surprise for him). There is always the romantic with the castle or more of a MM with a white chocolate Mickey or Minnie, or maybe even a slipper with raspberries. I would say what ever you love most in or about Disney and use that as your theme. Maybe you had a REALLY special stay at one of the resorts? Just MHO let us know what you decide and good luck!

Double check the email, it's quite long. He got back to me in 24 hrs.

Thanks for the reply! Do you still have the email? Could I PM you where I sent it to double check? I did verify and even read back the letters to the Private Dining lady??? Thanks:)

I've been reading this thread for ages and I just need somebody to TELL me what to do... I need a butt-kicking cake for Dh's birthday delivered to the Kona Cafe on 1/29 for dinner. A fancy one that will make DH go all "OOOHHH! You got me a cake for my birthday! You should get that Disney Dooney tomorrow because you are just THAT awesome. Cake! Let's have cake!"

I think I should call private dining at the GF, right? I basically want one of the same POTC cakes listed here.

We are staying at Kidani - AKL. Does anyone know if they (main portion of AKL) would deliver the cake to Sanaa at Kidani? Also - this would be for the 21st of this month - am I cutting it to close if I call Monday?

We are staying at Kidani - AKL. Does anyone know if they (main portion of AKL) would deliver the cake to Sanaa at Kidani? Also - this would be for the 21st of this month - am I cutting it to close if I call Monday?

We had a cake delivered to Kidani from Jambo. My recommendation would be to stick with the basic cake from AKL like the Zebra cake. They are very hit or miss with special cakes.

I called the Contemporary Private Dining line Wednesday morning and got Brian's email. I sent in my request for Jan 25th, but have not heard anything. I know many of you have commented on how quickly he responds, so I am starting to wonder if it did not go through. . .what to do???

Had an email from Brian this morning! So excited:yay:

Thanks for the reply! Do you still have the email? Could I PM you where I sent it to double check? I did verify and even read back the letters to the Private Dining lady??? Thanks:)

Sorry for the delay....sure thing!

oops should have read further....good for you!

Has anyone done or seen a cake done in a train theme? My DS loves trains and we will be celebrating his b-day while at WDW this Spring. Any advice is appreciated!:wizard:

My best advice would be to search www.flickr.com with the terms "train cake" and see what you turn up. It's a great resource for photos, and that way you'll have a picture of exactly what you want to send to the chef. If you want to combine elements from different cakes you can send all the pictures and describe what goes where.

Time for me to start planning! Some questions:

1. Last time for DD's b-day we ordered her the cinderella slipper which was so yummy, the perfect size (with dessert & snack credit's we didn't want anything to big) & in our budget. Any other fun, yummy & less expensive ideas out there other than the Treasure Chest? We will be staying @ BLT & eating in France that night.

Can't think of anything less expensive, but the restaurant might turn up a free birthday cupcake for her, or maybe you could sneakily buy something at the bakery in France and present it at dinner. Otherwise, there are usually several different edible goodies offered by Private Dining at the Deluxe Resorts—you just need to call and find out what they have now, since it can change. Pages 14-19 of this menu show some of the chocolate enhancements available in the past at the Contemporary.

http://www.disneycateredmenus.com/menus/CG/CG_All_Menus_v092109.pdf

There are also things like the white chocolate character figurines pictured a few pages back in this thread and the white chocolate monorail. But, again, not cheap...

2. We have celebrated DD's B-day @ WDW every other year & I thought it would be nice to have an "Unbirthday" cake for DS & DH since we are never away for their B-days. Has anyone seen one?

A 1-tier Mad Hatter cake would be pricey but cute. There are several pictured in the Cake Photo Thread (link in Post #1 of this thread).

Do they sell the small Mickey Head Cakes ($4) at the Contemporary?

No. I've only ever seen them at the BoardWalk Bakery. The Bakery at the MK doesn't sell them but does have cake by the slice, and the candy shop on Main Street has tuxedo chocolate-covered strawberries, if that might make a good substitute...

Ok. I want to make sure I have this right before I call. We have birthday ADRs at CRT. If I want a Princess Tiana cake made like the Tinkerbell cake, I need to call the Contemporary bakery right?

Yes! They will give you the chef's email, and you can send him your photos.

I've been reading this thread for ages and I just need somebody to TELL me what to do... I need a butt-kicking cake for Dh's birthday delivered to the Kona Cafe on 1/29 for dinner. A fancy one that will make DH go all "OOOHHH! You got me a cake for my birthday! You should get that Disney Dooney tomorrow because you are just THAT awesome. Cake! Let's have cake!"

I think I should call private dining at the GF, right? I basically want one of the same POTC cakes listed here.

You know that fancy cakes can cost as much as the Disney Dooney bags, right? Cuz maybe you could just, you know, cut out the middle man! :rotfl: You might have more luck getting the Contemporary to deliver a fancy cake to the Polynesian than the Grand Floridian, and the quality is the same.

W- this would be for the 21st of this month - am I cutting it to close if I call Monday?

No. :thumbsup2

You know that fancy cakes can cost as much as the Disney Dooney bags, right? Cuz maybe you could just, you know, cut out the middle man! :rotfl: You might have more luck getting the Contemporary to deliver a fancy cake to the Polynesian than the Grand Floridian, and the quality is the same.

Oh, yeah! It's not the money at all ... It's just like pulling a Jedi mind trick on a Storm trooper. Show the man cake, deflection attention, buy purse. Gypsydoodlebug FTW!

So I'll call the CR's private dining line and get Brian's email tomorrow. Thanks!

ETA: it is Brian, right?

I am a single mother with two amazing children. We have been saving for 6 years to go to Disney! Our first night will be at Chef Mickey's. I would like to surprise my children (11 DS and 8 DD)with a thank you cake. They have sold lemonade, rolled pennies and donated tooth fairy money to the "Disney Fund" Neither one of them has a Disney "favorite" so a character specific cake wouldn't be appropriate. I was thinking more along the lines of "magic". Funds are an issue but I feel like this is a necessary splurge.
HELP!

Here are two pictures of the goodies we ordered from our recent trip. We wouldn't of had them if it weren't for the lovely & informative diser's here :)

DD's Birthday Slipper Surprise at CRT. I was able to pick between white, milk or dark. And I chose Dark chocolate. This way really yummy. It was too pretty to eat! Was ordered through CRT, well in advance. The price was $15.50

slipper.jpg

And My Mother's Surprise Minnie Cake Delivered to Narcoossee's and Ordered Through GF Private Dining. This Cake Tasted AMAZING! The price was $48.

PC160111.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter