Official DISNEY Cake Chatter Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone! I'm looking to see if there's a list somewhere of the "stamps" available on the cakes. I know there's a name for it but I can't recall what it is (maybe Mickey's Delight or something???). I looked through the cake gallery to try and see and thought there was a post in the past listing the different characters. I know the Mickey heads are the common ones and I've seen Tink and Donald in the pictures I went through. Are there any others? I'm trying to get an idea for a cake for our trip 11/24-12/4. TIA for your help!! :goodvibes

If you do go to one of the Grand FLoridian restuarants, you can order Cinderella's chocolate slipper which is inexpensive.

Can you get these to go or be delivered to your resort, with enough notice? We leave in 5 days and our days are filled up enough, so squeezing in a meal at GF or CRT is out.

Thanks.

I just ordered a custom cake from Animal Kingdom Lodge private dining. I am having it delivered to our room @ Kidani Village on 9/18. Stay tune for photos!

I just ordered a custom cake from Animal Kingdom Lodge private dining. I am having it delivered to our room @ Kidani Village on 9/18. Stay tune for photos!

Can't wait to see it. I'm thinking of doing this for our trip in Dec.:santa:

Is Pat from Buttercup cakes, I would love to do something similar for my daughter next year we will be celebrating her 16th birthday, can you give me an idea of what the price for the cake will be, we have transportation so it is easy for us to go and get it.

Pat is from the Grand Floridian. There is a pick of a "tween" cake done by her on the first page.

Can you get these to go or be delivered to your resort, with enough notice? We leave in 5 days and our days are filled up enough, so squeezing in a meal at GF or CRT is out.

Thanks.

I don't think so - but not the expert here. ;) Your best bet would be to call the GF and see if you can pick it up at one of their restaurants ... or if you're staying deluxe, private dining should be able to arrange it.

Is Pat from Buttercup cakes, I would love to do something similar for my daughter next year we will be celebrating her 16th birthday, can you give me an idea of what the price for the cake will be, we have transportation so it is easy for us to go and get it.

Yes Pat is from the GF. She designs the cake. I told her what my GD liked and on her computer she designs it and gives it to the baker. I think they start at $45.00 plus tax, plus delivery, plus decorations. Plus, plus, plus. The cakes can be pricey.

I'm considering ordering a gluten free cake from the Grand Floridian. Has anyone had a good experience with a Disney gluten free cake? How was the taste? I don't want to spend $ on one and then have it taste nasty. Thanks!:goodvibes

Thanks.

Extremely unlikely that you can get one to go anywhere. (I would say "impossible" but you never know if there will be some Disney magic. Worth a shot but do not be surprised if the answer is no)

If you had meal plans at the CR, that is a possibility as well. Brian, the pastry chef at CR mentioned upthread that the slipper is available there too.

Likely, you could get it delivered to your room if you are staying at GF or the Contemporary.

Who makes the best custom cakes with regards to look and taste? Currently I have ordered 2 small custom cakes from Pat at the GF: a Captain Hook themed cake and a Mickey Head cake with the Evil Queen holding a happy birthday banner. I'm nervous as I look at all of these cake pictures. Some look great and others look like a complete rip off. She quoted me at $66 for the Captain Hook themed cake and $48 for the Mickey Head / Evil Queen cake. Any advice and help would be most appreciated!

So ... I finally have something to contribute to this thread!! It helped me so much when planning my cake that I just had to post pictures of the fantastic end result!!!

I emailed the CR about 3 months ago and requested a Mad Hatter style cake with Thumper and Miss Bunny on top. I asked for it to be Red Velvet with cream cheese frosting. It was exactly what I got!! It cost $125 plus tax. I am going to be honest - I didn't tip! Although the cake was amazing when we arrived at Chef Mickey we were shown to our table and then our server eventually came and took our order for drinks and explan the buffet. After about 10 minutes he then just put the cake on the table! No Happy Birthday or anything. He said I haven't put candles on it because I wasn't sure if you wanted them?? Err its a birthday cake, you could have perhaps asked me on the quiet?? He made no attempt to start up the "Happy Birthday song". So as much as I loved the cake the experience could have been so much nicer!

It did not however detract fromt he delicious cake so here are pictures of the outside and the inside.

Enjoy!!!

1580.jpg

1583.jpg

The only sad thing about our cake was that we safely got it back to our room at the GF. It didn't fit in the fridge so I left it in its box on the desk. The next morning after we had popped out we came back and had a slice but then when we came back at about 5pm the cake was totally ruined. It must have sort of split in the coolness of the air conditioning and caved in - it was a sad end to the beautiful cake but was still edible!! :banana:

Have ADR's at Ohana's, Cape May and Chef Mickey's. Will be celebrating our 25th anniversary with DH, 3 DS's and a friend and birthdays for all 3 DS's. Where would you suggest would have the best custom cakes? Any suggestions would be great. My DH loves peanut butter and if this could be incorporated it would be a surprise.

Have ADR's at Ohana's, Cape May and Chef Mickey's. Will be celebrating our 25th anniversary with DH, 3 DS's and a friend and birthdays for all 3 DS's. Where would you suggest would have the best custom cakes? Any suggestions would be great. My DH loves peanut butter and if this could be incorporated it would be a surprise.

I would say Chef Mickeys. Not sure if they can incorporate peanut butter? :confused3

Who makes the best custom cakes with regards to look and taste? Currently I have ordered 2 small custom cakes from Pat at the GF: a Captain Hook themed cake and a Mickey Head cake with the Evil Queen holding a happy birthday banner. I'm nervous as I look at all of these cake pictures. Some look great and others look like a complete rip off. She quoted me at $66 for the Captain Hook themed cake and $48 for the Mickey Head / Evil Queen cake. Any advice and help would be most appreciated!

It's kind of a crapshoot no matter where you go. People have loved and hated cakes at all of the best places to get fancy cakes—Contemporary, Grand Floridian, and Yacht & Beach Club. There are more reports about GF and Contemporary here than Y&BC, and generally people like them. However, at "only" $66, your Captain Hook cake may not be the Cake Boss-worthy extravaganza that some of the GF's $100+ cakes are—just to warn you... The Mickey Head cakes are pretty standard everywhere, though.

Cape May and Chef Mickey's are your best bets for a custom cake. However, you may be told that you can't get peanut butter mousse filling—certain flavors are only available at the Grand Floridian, although recently a previously verboten red velvet cake turned up at the Contemporary, so ya never know! :thumbsup2 If he likes peanut butter and chocolate together, see if you can get what they call "peanut butter cup" mousse—a combo of peanut butter mousse and chocolate mousse.

Thanks for the info. You certainly know about cakes at WDW. I'll keep looking. May have to change some reservations to get what I want.

Just trying to figure this all out :rolleyes1 ...

If I wanted a "normal" birthday cake at a TS restaurant in one of the parks, my options would be:

-- ordering at podium, 6-inch $21, nothing written
-- ordering ahead of time on cake hotline, 6-inch $21 (exactly as above ?!)
-- ordering ahead of time on cake hotline, 8-inch $32 and this would have their names written on in icing, OR edible image at some locations
-- standard Mickey Head, $48

Is that right?!

Are some parks/restaurants better than others at the standard cakes?

I'm just trying to figure out where's the best place for reservations before dealing with a rep on the hotline.

So it's a no go on getting a cake delivered to Pop Century? (Short trip - don't want to waste time at a rest. eating while parks are open.)

Would it be too risky to order a cake and wait until just before park closing to pick it up?

So it's a no go on getting a cake delivered to Pop Century? (Short trip - don't want to waste time at a rest. eating while parks are open.)

Would it be too risky to order a cake and wait until just before park closing to pick it up?

I don't think you can just order a cake at a restaurant and pick it up. I believe the only place for cake pick up is the Boardwalk bakery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter