Official DISNEY Cake Chatter Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my Stitch cake from my birthday at the California Grill! Two people in my group had allergies to red dye so we went with fondant so that they could just remove it. I loved my cake! It was marbled with peanut butter cup mousse filling and chocolate butter cream icing under the fondant.

\\
DSCN1842.jpg

Last September on our vacation I had a surprise birthday cake ordered for my fiance.

I called up the cake hotline and they put me in touch with someone at the Grand Floridian Bakery. I sent her a picture of a mini cake that I saw on this site. We changed the colors to Penn State Blue and the designs from dots to Mickey Heads. To cost was $30 total and it was delivered to us at Narcoossee's.

She LOVED the cake, I LOVED the cake as well. I ordered it to be chocolate with white icing. The chocolate was more of a mousse than cake and that was fine with us. It was amazing. I MIGHT just have to get a bigger one this time!

WDW_7666.jpg

WDW_7667.jpg

WDW_7668.jpg

WDW_7669.jpg

WDW_7673.jpg

WDW_7675.jpg

WDW_7678.jpg

WDW_7679.jpg

WDW_7680.jpg

CAKE: 6" white with buttercream and raspberry filling.
ICING: Fondant
COST: $80.00
TASTE: Delicious :)
THEME: Toy Story with Picture from 2010 Disney Trip

Disney2-2012LoriLynn215.jpg

Disney2-2012LoriLynn221.jpg

Any recent experiences with flavor choices for the mini cakes from the Contemporary? Since it will only be me & my 10yo for dinner I think the mini cake will be plenty, but I would like to get something other than the standard combos.

Any recent experiences with flavor choices for the mini cakes from the Contemporary? Since it will only be me & my 10yo for dinner I think the mini cake will be plenty, but I would like to get something other than the standard combos.

I don't know if they have mini cakes at the CR? :confused3 I think the smallest you can get is a 6". BUT... if you can they would be vanilla, chocolate or cheesecake I am sure just like the GF.

YAY! New cake photos! LOVE the Stitch cake and the mini with the Mickey heads. We are going in November (DH, DD6, and myself) and assume the mini will not be enough, but they are so cute!!! I guess I'll have to go with a 6". . .maybe the same concept with the Mickey's on the side would be cute. Thanks for posting. . .I LOVE to see new cake photos!!!

You'd need to check with the pastry chef to see what he's willing to do. Some people have reported being able to get nonstandard flavors like red velvet and cream cheese.

I don't know if they have mini cakes at the CR? :confused3 I think the smallest you can get is a 6". BUT... if you can they would be vanilla, chocolate or cheesecake I am sure just like the GF.

I believe Colleen is referring to the 2-tier mini cakes available at the GF, Contemporary and BoardWalk Inn in chocolate with chocolate mousse filling or vanilla with white chocolate mousse filling.

file-3.jpg

The cake you're thinking of is the mini castle cake which is indeed only available at the Grand Floridian and only comes in the three flavors you mentioned. :thumbsup2

CastleMiniCake.jpg

You'd need to check with the pastry chef to see what he's willing to do. Some people have reported being able to get nonstandard flavors like red velvet and cream cheese.

I believe Colleen is referring to the 2-tier mini cakes available at the GF, Contemporary and BoardWalk Inn in chocolate with chocolate mousse filling or vanilla with white chocolate mousse filling.

Yep. Something similar to the one pictured for another Colleen on this page is what I have in mind, just the little mini-cake, no castle needed (it would be wasted on us; neither DD nor I eat white chocolate).

I guess I'll just have to find out when I call. I'm hoping to be able to get white cake, some sort of fruit mousse, and white buttercream. I don't really like chocolate and DD doesn't eat cheesecake, so if all I can get are the standard combos I'll either go with a bigger cake or come up with a different idea for a birthday treat.

This was our wedding cake that we had made and brought out at 1900 Park Fare where we had dinner the night after our Cocoa Beach wedding.
It was Choc sponge with alternate layers of dark and milk choc mousse. Covered in fondant with white choc mickey and minnie on top.
It cost $250

DSCF1029.jpg

DSCF1032.jpg

I'm going to be ordering a cake to surprise my boyfriend when we go down in November. It's going to be for a total of 6 of us though, so that threw out the mini-cake idea. Now I have to figure out what kind of theme and what kind of flavors to go with. I feel like there are way too many options to choose from, but I will say I love reading this thread and trying to pick ideas from it. I know I still have a ton of time, but I feel like I'll never be able to decide.

Ok, going to try this upload thing again....

Cinderella cake at CRT, part of princess package with tiara, balloon, confetti, card, and lots of pomp and circumstance! $112 (chocolate with fondant...we kept the Cinderella topper as well)
Christmas20116thBirthday171.jpg

Pooh cake at Rose & Crown, $32 (delish banana cream filling of some kind!)
Christmas20116thBirthday191.jpg

So can you not get the mini wedding cakes at CRT? I was thinking about doing the slipper but would really like to do a mini wedding cake.

I'm going to WDW in a few weeks to bring my DD home from her College Program, and would love to surprise her with a cake with a Haunted Mansion theme, because that's where she spent the first 6 months, but it will just be the two of us. How can I request a minicake with an HM theme - I've seen such beautiful themed cakes, but I'm afraid that a minicake will be too small to make 'special' in that way?

Advice is very welcome! And I'm not sure where we're eating yet, although perhaps HHDR and perhaps CRT.

KC:santa:

So can you not get the mini wedding cakes at CRT? I was thinking about doing the slipper but would really like to do a mini wedding cake.

You can get a minicake at CRT if you call Private Dining at the Contemporary to order it: 407-824-2955.

I'm going to WDW in a few weeks to bring my DD home from her College Program, and would love to surprise her with a cake with a Haunted Mansion theme, because that's where she spent the first 6 months, but it will just be the two of us. How can I request a minicake with an HM theme - I've seen such beautiful themed cakes, but I'm afraid that a minicake will be too small to make 'special' in that way?

Advice is very welcome! And I'm not sure where we're eating yet, although perhaps HHDR and perhaps CRT.

Both those locations can be serviced by the bakery at the Contemporary, so you'd call the number I posted above to order. I think the pastry chef at the Contemporary would do a great job translating his Haunted Mansion cake design to a mini cake. There are a lot of decor elements that could be placed on the plate surrounding the cake—they don't have to be on top of it.

I Have some great photos of my sons cakes from the contemporary and the swan resorts that i would like to share with this thread but I don't know where to post them or how too, could some one please tell me?

How much lead time do you need to order one of these minicakes, if you're asking for something special to be created?

Thanks so much,

I Have some great photos of my sons cakes from the contemporary and the swan resorts that i would like to share with this thread but I don't know where to post them or how too, could some one please tell me?

1) The picture must be stored on the internet first. You can use a free service like Photobucket or the photo storage site right here on the DIS: http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/index.php/index.php (These two are good choices because they automatically generate DIS-friendly code for you to use.)

To use the DIS photo gallery, you'll log in there using the same name and password you use on the DIS. After you log in, click on the upload photos button and follow the instructions.

2)To insert the image into a post, simply copy the link info generated by Photobucket or the DIS Photo Gallery and paste it into the post.

Photobucket will give you a bunch of link types. The one you want is called "IMG code" and is bookended by tags that look like this:

[quote="KCMiller, post: 44264701"]How much lead time do you need to order one of these minicakes, if you're asking for something special to be created?[/QUOTE]

I called BoardWalk Bakery about 6 days in advance for ours, and it turned out perfectly! :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter