Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

IMG_5624.JPG
Here is the cake we finally wrangled from the AKL pastry team a couple weeks ago (I posted a couple times regarding our difficulties getting cake design and flavors we hoped for and general communication issues). Overall, I was very pleased! The order was for 6-inch almond cake with custard and strawberries. All five of us believe the cake was just vanilla though. Still tasty. $90.

View attachment 265376
Here is the cake we finally wrangled from the AKL pastry team a couple weeks ago (I posted a couple times regarding our difficulties getting cake design and flavors we hoped for and general communication issues). Overall, I was very pleased! The order was for 6-inch almond cake with custard and strawberries. All five of us believe the cake was just vanilla though. Still tasty. $90.

Thanks for reporting on the final result! I'm glad it worked out for you.

Spoke with Boardwalk today about ordering a cake. I asked if i could get a custom 6 inch cake and they said no. They informed me they would only customize an 8 inch and it would be $70. I asked if I could customize a mini cake with icing color selection and they told me no. What gives gonna call Pat at tge Grand Floridian tomorow and see what she says

Spoke with Boardwalk today about ordering a cake. I asked if i could get a custom 6 inch cake and they said no. They informed me they would only customize an 8 inch and it would be $70. I asked if I could customize a mini cake with icing color selection and they told me no. What gives gonna call Pat at tge Grand Floridian tomorow and see what she says

The problem with the people who answer the phone at the Boardwalk is that they aren't the pastry chefs so sometimes you have to push them to ask the chefs directly though you're welcome to try with Pat at the GF instead.

Hopefully someone could provide some guidance. I've seen some pretty sophisticated 2 layer Mini Cakes. I'm trying to get a Grumpy themed 2 layer Mini Cake (small hat on top, beard around top tier and maybe a small circle nose above the beard, and then a black belt around the bottom tier. I requested this through the contemporary and they came back saying they could offer me a mini cake with a 2d Grumpy image beside it. Do they not really decorate Mini Cakes anymore? From reading it seems the Contemporary is one of the better bakeries, but my experience has not been great. Does anyone know if I'm asking for something that they're not legally able or allowed to do by some other rule? I don't feel like I'm asking for anything super crazy. Would I have better luck trying a different bakery?

Hopefully someone could provide some guidance. I've seen some pretty sophisticated 2 layer Mini Cakes. I'm trying to get a Grumpy themed 2 layer Mini Cake (small hat on top, beard around top tier and maybe a small circle nose above the beard, and then a black belt around the bottom tier. I requested this through the contemporary and they came back saying they could offer me a mini cake with a 2d Grumpy image beside it. Do they not really decorate Mini Cakes anymore? From reading it seems the Contemporary is one of the better bakeries, but my experience has not been great. Does anyone know if I'm asking for something that they're not legally able or allowed to do by some other rule? I don't feel like I'm asking for anything super crazy. Would I have better luck trying a different bakery?

They probably don't think they can fit all that on a mini-cake. You could either bump up to a more expensive "maxi mini cake" (a 4-inch cake atop a 6-inch cake) or see if BoardWalk Bakery would do it for you. I feel like they're the only ones I've seen do super-detailed mini cakes.

They probably don't think they can fit all that on a mini-cake. You could either bump up to a more expensive "maxi mini cake" (a 4-inch cake atop a 6-inch cake) or see if BoardWalk Bakery would do it for you. I feel like they're the only ones I've seen do super-detailed mini cakes.

Thanks! I guess I don't see it as being a whole lot lol. A little tiny hat, a small fondant beard, and then a circle of black frosting/fondant at the bottom. I'll check with Boardwalk. I've asked about a couple options at the Contemporary and I keep getting very general emails back where they aren't answering all my questions and just giving me a small amount of info. I've asked 3 times about filling options to have them completely ignore the question. Hopefully Boardwalk will be flexible. Thanks for the suggestion! I really appreciate it!

Thanks! I guess I don't see it as being a whole lot lol. A little tiny hat, a small fondant beard, and then a circle of black frosting/fondant at the bottom. I'll check with Boardwalk. I've asked about a couple options at the Contemporary and I keep getting very general emails back where they aren't answering all my questions and just giving me a small amount of info. I've asked 3 times about filling options to have them completely ignore the question. Hopefully Boardwalk will be flexible. Thanks for the suggestion! I really appreciate it!

I have been having a similar experience. The emails I received from Donald about doing a specific Mini cake were very general and they ignored almost all of my questions. The email said to call the contemporary cake hotline so I called over the course week multiple times a day and was never able to get a hold of anyone. (I went this route at first instead of calling private dining because it was how the emails from contemporary ended and I thought since it was direct from Disney this should be what I should do.)
After talking with others here, I have been calling private dining the last 4 days. I keep getting a cast member named Morgan who can not take cake orders yet as she is still new. She stuttered and told me to call back tomorrow because no one "who does that" was in. I called the next day around 11:00 and she said they had left for the day. I asked again if she could tell me when someone is scheduled to be there that take custom cake orders. She told me that I should call back around 9am the next day and someone would be there. I called at 9:00 next day as suggested and again, no one could help me; but she said she would add my name and number to a list for Donald to call. I never got a call so I called back again the next day. I was told that someone who could take my order would be there at 9:00am the following morning and I should call then. I called back this morning, and got Morgan again, who remembered me this time. (have I talked to you before? I laughed and told her we were old friends who have talked every day this week. I was very kind and tried to make it a joke.) She told me I just missed someone name George who had just stepped out for about an hour and that he would call me back soon. She took all my info, the phone number, reservation number ect again and told me I would get a call back today. I didn't. I may call again tomorrow. My daughter gets out of school early and the cake is a surprise, so hopefully someone will be there in the morning I can talk to. We leave in a week and I am getting nervous!!!!

Maybe I should give up on the Contemporary and have some sort of cake (since they don't do mini cakes) delivered to our room at AKL? Should I send another email just to let them know I have been calling for days and no one has been available? I haven't done this yet because I don't want to come across as rude and in the grand scheme it is only a cake.

Would anyone happen to know if I brought a fondant Dumbo cake topper with me, would Le Cellier put it atop the cake I order? I am thinking of something like this design w/out the big Dumbo on the side and just setting the Dumbo I bring on the top..

Attachments

• dumbo cake 2.jpg
    dumbo cake 2.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 230
So talked with Pat at the Grand Floridian we are doing a Descendants theme cake for $53.00. It will resemble Evie dress and has other Descendants references I can't wait to see how it turns out!!!!!

Please post a pic of this when you get it. My DD would love a cake like this.

I finally got a hold of someone at the contemporary named George!!!:flower: At, first I was nervous because when I said Minnie Mouse cake he told me they only do pointy triangle style princess hats on minnie mouse cakes. Eventually I asked for just the mickey mouse hat and I said we would pretend it is minnie mouse. I asked for a cake iced with red with white polka dots added to look like Minnie Mouse's dress. He told me they would be using fondant so, I double checked again, to see if they could make a red bow out of fondant for the head. (first I was told no) George called the bakery, who said they could! So then I also asked for a strip of yellow between the two with a small yellow bow to make it look like a dress. George also called the bakery for me to ask about flavors because he originally said they only did two flavors, chocolate or vanilla. I was able to get chocolate with cookies and cream filling. The cake will also have a light dusting of Pixies dust. They will also write on the plate like I asked about in my emails. I was quoted $35 in the email and $70.00 just now over the phone. Is that high for a mini 2 tier cake? The phone call went quite fast and he didn't read the cake details back to me, so I am slightly nervous. Should I send an email with the details we discussed just to confirm?

Here was my cake inspiration. I will post a photo of what we end up with.
minnie cake #2 (2).jpg

Would anyone happen to know if I brought a fondant Dumbo cake topper with me, would Le Cellier put it atop the cake I order? I am thinking of something like this design w/out the big Dumbo on the side and just setting the Dumbo I bring on the top..

You will need to flag down your server (out of sight of your guests, if it is a surprise), explain the cake and give them the topper, but, yes, they will do it.

I I was quoted $35 in the email and $70.00 just now over the phone. Is that high for a mini 2 tier cake?

That sounds about right for a really detailed cake like you are describing. Can't wait to see it!

I finally got a hold of someone at the contemporary named George!!!:flower: At, first I was nervous because when I said Minnie Mouse cake he told me they only do pointy triangle style princess hats on minnie mouse cakes. Eventually I asked for just the mickey mouse hat and I said we would pretend it is minnie mouse. I asked for a cake iced with red with white polka dots added to look like Minnie Mouse's dress. He told me they would be using fondant so, I double checked again, to see if they could make a red bow out of fondant for the head. (first I was told no) George called the bakery, who said they could! So then I also asked for a strip of yellow between the two with a small yellow bow to make it look like a dress. George also called the bakery for me to ask about flavors because he originally said they only did two flavors, chocolate or vanilla. I was able to get chocolate with cookies and cream filling. The cake will also have a light dusting of Pixies dust. They will also write on the plate like I asked about in my emails. I was quoted $35 in the email and $70.00 just now over the phone. Is that high for a mini 2 tier cake? The phone call went quite fast and he didn't read the cake details back to me, so I am slightly nervous. Should I send an email with the details we discussed just to confirm?

Here was my cake inspiration. I will post a photo of what we end up with.
View attachment 266354
I've ordered a cake with George at the Contemporary for my mom! He was very helpful and also able to get me exactly what I wanted. I would say your are in good hands, but an e-mail confirming what you discussed can't hurt.

Finally figured out a cake with Brian at CR. He quoted me $45 for a mini 2 tier vanilla cake with raspberry mousse. It will be covered in fondant & have pink roses & glitter dusting. Cannot wait to see it, thanks so much for all the help on here!!

I ordered a 8 inch Frozen cake for our trip in August, we had it delivered to Chef Mickeys for dinner. Cost was $106 plus tax etc....

The cake was marble cake with chocolate buttercream filling. It tasted pretty good and lasted for several days as we could only ever eat small slices!

IMG_4364.JPG IMG_4366.JPG IMG_3075.JPEG

I can't recall seeing anything on this thread about this but I was wondering if anyone had ever tried ordering a Tsum Tsum themed cake?

Looking to order the Mickey head shaped cake, but I don't see it on their site any longer. Did they do away with it?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter