Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the cake I ordered a couple of weeks ago and had delivered to our dinner at Ohana. Pat at GF took my order. I asked for a 6" chocolate cake with white chocolate mousse filling with a western Mickey theme. I think it turned out pretty cute and it was delicious. I can't recall what it cost but she quoted me $60, but I don't believe that it actually ended up costing that much. Ryan bday cake.jpeg

Attachments

• Ryan bday cake.jpeg
    Ryan bday cake.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 11
Had a great experience last Feb ordering from Boardwalk bakery. We stayed at Boardwalk villas and had cakes delivered to our room. My son turned 3 years old and my mom turned 69 on the same day. I ordered a small 2 tier mini chocolate cake for my mom and a jake and never land cake for my son. They did an amazing job with my son's cake--vanilla cake with blue icing...they added gold chocolate coins and gram crackers for sand. (Sorry I don't have any pics--will try and upload). Cost was around $100 for the jake cake). I was opened to whatever design they decided--just told the bakery my son loved jake and they did a great job.

Sounds great! Let me know if you need me to upload the images. :thumbsup2

I never posted these but last October I ordered a Star Wars Cake and a Lilo & Stitch cake to be delivered to our dinner at the Contemporary Grill. Both were 6 inch cakes. Lilo and Stich had chocolate cake with peanut butter cup icing. The Star Wars cake was vanilla cake with chocolate frosting which ended up being the best tasting of the two. The total for the two cakes, taxes and whatever fees they charge totaled $200. I was quoted $60 for each. I don't know if it is just me, but I was a little upset that the Star Wars cake was just 2D imaging stuck on the cake…
StarWars cake.jpg Lilo Stich Cake.jpg

And there was a hidden mickey on the Star Wars Cake
Hidden Mickey.jpg

Picked up our cake on Sunday; we ordered a 6in gluten free cake with a haunted mansion theme. Total was $64 and I asked that they make the cake look as nice as possible for that amount (they originally quoted me $100 for a fully decorated haunted mansion cake as an 8inch cake but that was too much cake).
View attachment 120792 View attachment 120793
I thought it came out ok-looking. But when we cut it open, it looks like carrot cake! We had ordered plain white cake. Now, it's gluten free (my husband has a wheat allergy) so I knew it would taste different but it honestly has no taste at all. I'm not even sure if it is the right flavor! Given the price and the fact that it didn't taste like anything, I don't see us ordering another Disney cake when we have to go gluten-free.

It is likely they are still using something like the Namaste gluten free cake mix. From my experience this cake does come out dark looking just like your picture and it's not the most flavorful cake. When we ordered a GF cake a few years back this is what I was told they used. I went with a chocolate cake, and the flavor was "okay," but with all the gourmet gluten free cake options these days it can be a bit disappointing. With our cake the frosting and filling was so yummy we didn't miss the wheat/gluten at all.

Cute design btw! I think we will be going with a HM theme for a future cake.

Ok, so after weeks of back and forth (no fault of Disney's -- it's mostly my indecisiveness and budget), I ordered DS13's birthday cake. I had originally asked for the carved Mad Hatter design, but unfortunately, that was beyond what I could bring myself to pay for a cake on top of the trip itself. Dorothy at CBR Private Dining and the BW Bakery pastry team has been great.

My final request was for a 6 inch cake (to be delivered to our room at CBR), Mad Hatter theme (Tim Burton's Hatter, not cartoon Hatter), 6 inch chocolate cake with fresh strawberry filling and chocolate cream cheese buttercream frosting, with my favorite quote from the movie incorporated somehow -- "You're mad. Bonkers. Off your head. But I'll tell you a secret - all the best people are."

This is the response I got earlier today from Dorothy:
"The Boardwalk Bakery has responded with the following:
They can do the scarf around (2) 6” cakes with the 10/6 tag (see pic below)
Color scheme will be based on the hat colors
No face since we cannot have actors faces
Your message will be on top
Basically, they will do a great job of creating a beautiful cake

Price:
(2) 6” cakes = $46
Fondant = $12
Fresh strawberries = $5
Extra decorating = $15

TOTAL: $78.00"

I had sent them several inspiration pics. The one she is referring to in the email is this one:
Hatter.jpg

I thought this was very reasonable and I'm really excited to see what they do with it.

This is the Hatter image I was looking for, but I understand that they can't have actors' faces:
Hatter 3.jpg

Need some help - I wish to order a birthday cake for my Mom and my Sister-in-Law as they will both be celebrating b'days when we are visiting the World later this month. We are staying at POR and I'm looking to present it the evening we are dining at Portabello in DTD. I want to make it a little special for the both of them (rather than just a standard cake, it's been a tough couple of months for our families). From the great info in this thread, I've been able to sort out that I can try to do that but will have to order the cake through POR and bring the cake to the restaurant - Am I correct?

I'm thinking something with Winnie the Pooh - any inspirations? - Edited as I just read Winnie the Pooh would be out - How about Tinkerbell?

It will be for 4 adults and 1 child - unfortunately my other 2 nephews have severe nut allergies, but they are great sports about it!

Thanks in advance for any advice - J

Last edited:
I'm new here so forgive me if this is a terrible question. Is there a way to search within this thread? Specifically I'd like to see any Tinkerbell or Belle themed cakes people have gotten in the past for ideas (of cake and price). That said I'm not sure I can go through 127 pages without my wife popping her head in to see what i'm doing.

Need some help - I wish to order a birthday cake for my Mom and my Sister-in-Law as they will both be celebrating b'days when we are visiting the World later this month. We are staying at POR and I'm looking to present it the evening we are dining at Portabello in DTD. I want to make it a little special for the both of them (rather than just a standard cake, it's been a tough couple of months for our families). From the great info in this thread, I've been able to sort out that I can try to do that but will have to order the cake through POR and bring the cake to the restaurant - Am I correct?

I'm thinking something with Winnie the Pooh - any inspirations? It will be for 4 adults and 1 child - unfortunately my other 2 nephews have severe nut allergies, but they are great sports about it!

Yes, Portobello does not offer custom cakes. So you could try ordering one for delivery to POR through POR, or you could call a local bakery that delivers, like It's Tasty Too, Sprinkles Custom Cakes, Party Flavors or Bake Me a Cake. Those outside bakeries might also be more willing to do a Winnie the Pooh cake—Disney's pastry teams are not allowed to put Pooh characters on cakes.

I'm new here so forgive me if this is a terrible question. Is there a way to search within this thread? Specifically I'd like to see any Tinkerbell or Belle themed cakes people have gotten in the past for ideas (of cake and price). That said I'm not sure I can go through 127 pages without my wife popping her head in to see what i'm doing.

There is a search bar in the upper right corner, and there's a checkbox to limit your search to this thread. However, I don't recall a Tinkerbell cake in this thread, only one of the older Cake Chatter Threads, and if you expand your search to the whole board, you'll have a lot of irrelevant results to wade through. I think you'll have better luck doing a Google image search for Tinkerbell cakes!

Yes, Portobello does not offer custom cakes. So you could try ordering one for delivery to POR through POR, or you could call a local bakery that delivers, like It's Tasty Too, Sprinkles Custom Cakes, Party Flavors or Bake Me a Cake. Those outside bakeries might also be more willing to do a Winnie the Pooh cake—Disney's pastry teams are not allowed to put Pooh characters on cakes.
Hi Lurkyloo! Many thanks for the suggestions - I'll be sure to post what I ultimately come up with - Best, J

Thanks for the help you have given me so far, hoping you can help me again. I have been e-mailing Chef Brian about 2 cakes which I need at MK 2 weeks from today and we have agreed on the designs. My question is when should I contact MK cakes to place my final order? Is today too soon? Also, I want to order the glass slipper dessert for CRT a few days later. Do I do this through them also or through the CRT special events e-mail?

I am new here but wanted to pass along my great experience with a specialty cake order. Was looking for a haunted mansion themed cake as an anniversary surprise for my husband for our dinner at Narcoossee's. Left a message 2 weeks before our trip for Pat at the Grand Floridian around 1PM and she called me back around 5PM. The cake was to be 8 inch triple layer vanilla with white chocolate mousse filling and fresh strawberries. Purple fondant with black icing piped around the cake. Red roses with green ivy along the base and top. I asked for the portrait of a bride and groom from the haunted mansion ride as well as a coffin with skeleton. Also small skeleton heads around the base which were gold. It had a white chocolate banner that said thank you for 24 hauntingly good years that had a tiny LED light underneath the sign. The cake was moist and delicious. The staff at Narcoossee's were great and the hostess went out of her way to tell me how beautiful the cake was and that the bakery staff refused to let them pick up the cake and insisted they bring it over. My husband was very pleasantly surprised and the cake went beyond my expectations.

For some reason I cannot post a picture so I will try to link from Flickr- https://flic.kr/p/xVcJL3 https://flic.kr/p/xfWLfB

I am new here but wanted to pass along my great experience with a specialty cake order. Was looking for a haunted mansion themed cake as an anniversary surprise for my husband for our dinner at Narcoossee's. Left a message 2 weeks before our trip for Pat at the Grand Floridian around 1PM and she called me back around 5PM. The cake was to be 8 inch triple layer vanilla with white chocolate mousse filling and fresh strawberries. Purple fondant with black icing piped around the cake. Red roses with green ivy along the base and top. I asked for the portrait of a bride and groom from the haunted mansion ride as well as a coffin with skeleton. Also small skeleton heads around the base which were gold. It had a white chocolate banner that said thank you for 24 hauntingly good years that had a tiny LED light underneath the sign. The cake was moist and delicious. The staff at Narcoossee's were great and the hostess went out of her way to tell me how beautiful the cake was and that the bakery staff refused to let them pick up the cake and insisted they bring it over. My husband was very pleasantly surprised and the cake went beyond my expectations.

For some reason I cannot post a picture so I will try to link from Flickr- https://flic.kr/p/xVcJL3 https://flic.kr/p/xfWLfB
That is a very beautiful cake. Congratulations your 24th Anniversary.

I just w

I'm thinking something with Winnie the Pooh - any inspirations? - Edited as I just read Winnie the Pooh would be out - How about Tinkerbell?

It will be for 4 adults and 1 child - unfortunately my other 2 nephews have severe nut allergies, but they are great sports about it!

I just wanted to mention that I have children with severe life threatening allergies and Disney has been fabulous with providing safe cakes for us. I wouldn't rule out their ability to make a nut allergy safe cake. I'm pretty sure I've seen other posts from people with nut allergies who have ordered cakes without issue.

Just a thought.

I just w

I just wanted to mention that I have children with severe life threatening allergies and Disney has been fabulous with providing safe cakes for us. I wouldn't rule out their ability to make a nut allergy safe cake. I'm pretty sure I've seen other posts from people with nut allergies who have ordered cakes without issue.

Just a thought.
Thanks for the information Dis703 - I will see what I can do about the cake so that everyone at the table can enjoy! I agree with you that Disney is wonderful regarding food allergies - every sit-down meal we've ever had the chef comes out to speak with my sister-in-law about the boy's allergies. Best, J

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter