Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ever had the basic allergen free cake or maybe an Erin Mckenna cake? Just wondering how the taste would be for the family members without the allergy?

Okay, ordered my cake and had it on Wednesday 9/2 at Chef Mickey's. The cake was $136, chocolate cake with dark chocolate mousse fill and chocolate butter cream under the fondant. I have to say that Chef Brian did an excellent job and working with George from the Contemporary's Private Dining team to finalize the details was fantastic!
10422411_10205816130536804_1409412080946770729_n.jpg

Attachments

• 10422411_10205816130536804_1409412080946770729_n.jpg
    10422411_10205816130536804_1409412080946770729_n.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 20
So I just contacted Private dining at AKL because I want a custom cake at Sanaa on Sept 26th. They gave me Amandas email, so I emailed all the info to her then got an automated email back saying she is out of the Bakery until SEPT 20TH. So I called back and they said they will have an assistant contact me about making the cake. Is this common?? I have never ordered a cake, and just a little nervous now. LOL

The same thing happened to me when I ordered my cake for Animal Kingdom Lodge, except that I was never even told she was on vacation. I finally got a hold of someone else at Private Dining who helped me out, and the cake turned out great!

ltuntitledgt208.jpg

DH and I will be celebrating his birthday later this month at WDW. I'm planning to order a cake to be delivered to our room at BWV. We went this past May for my birthday and he ordered a cake for me through Disney Floral and Gifts and, while it tasted good, it was pretty small with just a standard "Celebrate" inscription. In all our years of going to WDW, I had no idea you could special order something through the resorts/restaurants! I've gone through several pages of this thread and I'm blown away by some of these cakes. And the prices seem fairly reasonable too.

Here's where I'm hoping for a little help from you more experienced cake-ordering DISers. Does anyone have photos and prices of Star Wars themed cakes? Are any flavor combinations especially good? I saw a list of cake, filling and frosting flavors, but wondered if there was a clear favorite. DH loves carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, but that's usually hit or miss. I was thinking about the chocolate mousse filling, but maybe fruit is better? It will just be the two of us, but I'm thinking about ordering an 8" cake. We'll be at WDW for 9 days and his birthday is at the beginning of our stay so we'll have more than enough time to finish it.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! TIA!!

I want to surprise my boyfriend with a cake just because. We are staying at all star sports. I want it delivered to our room on arrival day. So I know I have to call AKL bakery. And I have also read we will need to be checked into our room-we will be checking in online before we leave. Just confirming that this is possible. I ordered a cake from GF a few years ago for my sister but I had it delivered to GFC during our lunch. My next dilemma is theme...we are going the week of Halloween, so I'm torn between a halloween theme or star wars theme. Any suggestions?

DH and I will be celebrating his birthday later this month at WDW. I'm planning to order a cake to be delivered to our room at BWV. We went this past May for my birthday and he ordered a cake for me through Disney Floral and Gifts and, while it tasted good, it was pretty small with just a standard "Celebrate" inscription. In all our years of going to WDW, I had no idea you could special order something through the resorts/restaurants! I've gone through several pages of this thread and I'm blown away by some of these cakes. And the prices seem fairly reasonable too.

Here's where I'm hoping for a little help from you more experienced cake-ordering DISers. Does anyone have photos and prices of Star Wars themed cakes? Are any flavor combinations especially good? I saw a list of cake, filling and frosting flavors, but wondered if there was a clear favorite. DH loves carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, but that's usually hit or miss. I was thinking about the chocolate mousse filling, but maybe fruit is better? It will just be the two of us, but I'm thinking about ordering an 8" cake. We'll be at WDW for 9 days and his birthday is at the beginning of our stay so we'll have more than enough time to finish it.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! TIA!!
We loved the combination of the cannoli cream and chocolate mousse filling, alternately, we also like the bavarian cream filling with sliced strawberries (usually get that in the spring when strawberries are in season though). I do not like peanut butter, but those that do seem to like the peanut butter filling as well. As far as decorative cakes are concerned, we have felt that the fondant covered cakes, though more expensive, usually ended up more festive/special. We did have 1 frosted cake that was exceptional back in 2011, I think in part because it was fairly simple, we did buttercream tinted lime green and then has the castle on top, left everything else to the discretion of the baker. But since then we had a Tangled cake that was basically edible imaged on top, and a "frozen" themed (no characters), that was nice and pretty, but not exceptional. We had a gorgeous Stitch cake in fondant, as well as a Snow White themed for anniversary last year that wowed, both those were in fondant. It seems to me that it is easier for them to really up the wow factor in fondant.

I want to surprise my boyfriend with a cake just because. We are staying at all star sports. I want it delivered to our room on arrival day. So I know I have to call AKL bakery.

Not sure where you got that info, but the pastry team at AKL does NOT make cakes for the All-Stars. You need to place the order through All-Star Sports and they will work with BoardWalk Bakery on your cake. You cannot place the order directly through BoardWalk Bakery and have it delivered to All-Star Sports. They will tell you that they don't deliver cakes.

You might have better luck with a generic Halloween cakes than Star Wars, since they are limited in the characters they can do and it's all just screen prints.

Has anyone ever ordered a cake at Coronado Springs? Are these just the podium cakes or are they fresh? I tried calling the number listed for them on the first page of this thread, but I honestly could not understand her because of her heavy accent. She was very nice, though. I am trying to order a small cake for two to celebrate our one year anniversary. I wanted it delivered to our room on our arrival day.

What happens if I order a cake for Citricos and then change my reservation to Narcoossee for the same date is it hard to get my cake delivery moved.

Not sure where you got that info, but the pastry team at AKL does NOT make cakes for the All-Stars. You need to place the order through All-Star Sports and they will work with BoardWalk Bakery on your cake. You cannot place the order directly through BoardWalk Bakery and have it delivered to All-Star Sports. They will tell you that they don't deliver cakes.

You might have better luck with a generic Halloween cakes than Star Wars, since they are limited in the characters they can do and it's all just screen prints.

Great. Thanks for the info! So do I still call the cake hotline or do I call All Star Sports directly?

Has anyone ever ordered a cake at Coronado Springs? Are these just the podium cakes or are they fresh? I tried calling the number listed for them on the first page of this thread, but I honestly could not understand her because of her heavy accent. She was very nice, though. I am trying to order a small cake for two to celebrate our one year anniversary. I wanted it delivered to our room on our arrival day.

The second post in this thread describes all the flavor options available at Coronado Springs. They do not have what we know as "podium cakes" because their food service is run by another company with its own recipes. For example, they use whipped cream frosting instead of buttercream.

What happens if I order a cake for Citricos and then change my reservation to Narcoossee for the same date is it hard to get my cake delivery moved.

Nope! The cake will still be made by the Grand Floridian pastry team. You just need to tell Private Dining where to deliver it.

Great. Thanks for the info! So do I still call the cake hotline or do I call All Star Sports directly?

Either way - the Cake Hotline just requires you to push more buttons to get to the same place.

Thank you for this great thread! Very informative. I emailed Brian at The Contemporary, and am getting a Halloween-themed mini cake with a 2D image of Jack & Sally for $50. In my mind I wanted this fancy fondant-covered cake but I realized it doesn't really matter. I told him that I wasn't picky, so hopefully it will still turn out nice.

My question is this: I originally wanted it for Halloween night delivered to our room. I have NOT called in the order yet, just got the email quote from Brian. When I call to order it, can I change it to another night, or will this be a problem? Still going to our hotel room, just a different night.

My question is this: I originally wanted it for Halloween night delivered to our room. I have NOT called in the order yet, just got the email quote from Brian. When I call to order it, can I change it to another night, or will this be a problem? Still going to our hotel room, just a different night.

You can change it, no problem. I'd just call back to check a week or so before to be sure that Private Dining has the correct date.

I want it delivered on 10/27. I was thinking calling 2 weeks a head of time. Does that sound like enough time or should I call soon?

I want it delivered on 10/27. I was thinking calling 2 weeks a head of time. Does that sound like enough time or should I call soon?

Sure! Or maybe start 3 weeks out, just in case it takes you a bit to get a hold of someone at All-Star Sports.

Question on the Glass Slipper Dessert. If I want to order it for my DD at 1900 PF do I have to order it through Pat or can I call the Cake Hotline (or will they just put me through to her)? I have had some difficulties with her this week on a cake I wanted and am looking for an easy option on this. Also, is it still only offered in white chocolate filled with whipped cream at GF? If so, can I request it without the cream (DD doesn't like it)? Any advice greatly appreciated.

I called the cake hotline on Thursday afternoon and got a voicemail yesterday from Boardwalk Private Dining. When I called back, the woman I spoke with didn't see to know too much about the custom cake orders. She said the only cake flavors available are chocolate, vanilla and marble; the only fillings are vanilla, chocolate, dark or white chocolate mousse and a fruit mousse; and the only frostings are vanilla, chocolate, white or dark chocolate ganache or fondant. I asked about carrot cake and she said she didn't know. I asked whether the mousses had gelatin and she didn't know. I asked if it was possible to get another cake/filling flavor (I was hoping for carrot cake with cream cheese frosting or vanilla cake with cannoli cream) and she said she didn't know. I asked about Star Wars themed decorations and she said "which cake flavor do you want?" I told her I didn't want to pick flavors yet and could she tell me what types of Star Wars decorations they could do. She said "well, there's a guy with a sword. How about that?" I asked if she could email me some photos of different decoration options and she said "no" but I could email her photos of whatever I was looking for.

I'm starting to stress out a little about this. Has anyone spoken to anyone at Boardwalk Private Dining who was especially helpful? Or can give me some advice for how to go about this? I've never ordered a cake this way and I'd really like to see what I'm getting before I commit to it.

TIA!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter