Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marchingstar...I'm so happy it all worked out for you. The cake looks adorable and I love the saying on it.
Thanks for sharing.
Enjoy your trip!

I saw Disney says their standard 6" cake will feed up to five. There are six in my party. How small would the pieces be to feed six?

It will feed more than 5! I ordered a 6 inch for the 5 of us and we had cake leftover that we took back to our room. And we didn't cut super small pieces either. I think you would be fine in ordering a 6 inch for 6 people.

I've been reading through this thread for a few days, and might have missed this question answered somewhere else, but I am brand new at this whole thing. We are visiting in early January and will be there right before my dad's birthday. We've never ordered a custom cake at WDW, but would like to get one delivered to the room (we're staying at Saratoga Springs) for him. The main characters he likes at WDW are Winnie the Pooh and Star Wars, and I know there are licensing issues for Pooh and probably some restrictions for Star Wars. Has anyone had luck with getting a cake in a general Winnie the Pooh style without an actual figure and mailing/bringing a figurine to top the cake? We'll probably do a mini cake since there are 4 of us, so I know they'll need to be small or go beside the cake.

I called the MK cake hotline last week and never got a return call. I called again yesterday morning and left another message. We'll see if they get back to me today.

Sorry this isn't the best picture but I took it from my phone. I had ordered a mini cake with Jack and Sally on it from the Contemporary to be delivered to our room. I told Chef Brian that I just wanted it to be Halloween themed, and let him go with it. He quoted me $50, and with tax and gratuity it came to $66 or 68 (sorry, can't find the receipt). They delivered it while we were out and it was a nice surprise for my hubby.

IMG_20151030_212032.jpg

Sorry this isn't the best picture but I took it from my phone. I had ordered a mini cake with Jack and Sally on it from the Contemporary to be delivered to our room. I told Chef Brian that I just wanted it to be Halloween themed, and let him go with it. He quoted me $50, and with tax and gratuity it came to $66 or 68 (sorry, can't find the receipt). They delivered it while we were out and it was a nice surprise for my hubby.
View attachment 134491

That is an adorable little cake! I love it - Chef Brian sounds more and more amazing as I read through this thread. :) Hope you and your husband loved the cake!

That is an adorable little cake! I love it - Chef Brian sounds more and more amazing as I read through this thread. :) Hope you and your husband loved the cake!
It was delicious! My son ate the little candy ghosts and pumpkins. The frosting was really sweet, but it was so good. We just went with white cake with a vanilla buttercream filling.

View attachment 134491
That is so cute! I love it!

So excited to say that I am planning my next trip to Disney World for September 2016! I will be keeping a close eye to this thread to start getting ideas for my cake order. Although I have a lot of time it's never too early ;) . For one I know the cake will be for my mom and she LOVES Cinderellas Castle so the light up castle could possibly be an option!

Well I ordered my cake for delivery 7DEC to the Beach Club. The process was just okay honestly. I didn't have a great vision or flavoring ready so more my fault than anyone else's. I had a great guy take my order and had patience of a saint talking me through visions and tastes and the whole process. Yesterday I had a call back from a lovely girl to discuss the cake further. She gave further guidance and ideas. Overall I ordered a 6 inch fancy fondant cake with vanilla cream cake and strawberry mousse. I asked for be anniversary style with a touch of winter/Christmas thrown in. I was told cost would be around $65. The lovely girl yesterday told me she was email me an idea sketch next week.

Great customer service I have to say considering I had no idea what the heck I was doing.

Well I ordered my cake for delivery 7DEC to the Beach Club. The process was just okay honestly. I didn't have a great vision or flavoring ready so more my fault than anyone else's. I had a great guy take my order and had patience of a saint talking me through visions and tastes and the whole process. Yesterday I had a call back from a lovely girl to discuss the cake further. She gave further guidance and ideas. Overall I ordered a 6 inch fancy fondant cake with vanilla cream cake and strawberry mousse. I asked for be anniversary style with a touch of winter/Christmas thrown in. I was told cost would be around $65. The lovely girl yesterday told me she was email me an idea sketch next week.

Great customer service I have to say considering I had no idea what the heck I was doing.

That's encouraging, actually - that they helped guide you through the process and even offered up suggestions. I'm curious to see what their idea sketch will be. I hope that you like it. :)

That's encouraging, actually - that they helped guide you through the process and even offered up suggestions. I'm curious to see what their idea sketch will be. I hope that you like it. :)

Oh both people were super great and patient. I'm not a very artistic have a vision kind of girl. He asked what my original wedding cake looked like and tasted like. What was the colors and theme of the wedding. They were really super detailed.

I asked for white fondant cake with blue and silver mickey stamps going around with some sort of snow flakes and pretty christmas flowers. I asked for a special saying "a dream is a wish your heart makes..." so we'll see what is created from all that nonsense I gave them.

Cool. When I made my initial inquiry to Chef Brian I had mentioned fondant and got a price quote. He told me to call the cake line to order and when I did I asked to go with buttercream instead as DH would probably find it tastier and it's cheaper, but the CM on the phone said she wasn't sure but thought so.

In my experience so far, fondant has increased the cost by around $6 for a mini cake or a 6" cake. Entirely worth it for us, because I love the fondant (it's my favorite part of the cake) and I like the overall appearance of the cake with the fondant.

View attachment 134491

This is fantastic! We are ordering a haunted mansion mini cake for our upcoming trip - so ours may be a bit similar - and it's great to see the creativity that went into your little cake! We're going with plain purple fondant because CR previously said the mini cake would not accommodate the haunted mansion wallpaper frosting . . . although photos and a report on this thread indicate that YC/BC will do it. Earlier this year, CR suggested a haunted mansion gate on top of a mini cake, but when I asked for that now, they said only 2D images on the mini cakes - no 3D. So it's always hard to understand why the differences, but both cakes we ordered from CR turned out wonderfully, so it's all good in the end.

In my experience so far, fondant has increased the cost by around $6 for a mini cake or a 6" cake. Entirely worth it for us, because I love the fondant (it's my favorite part of the cake) and I like the overall appearance of the cake with the fondant.

I've never particularly cared for the taste or even feel (mouth feel) of fondant but I do like the way it looks!

We are going to be at WDW for DD7's birthday. I'm debating whether or not to order a cake for her. She has food allergies - dairy, oats and shellfish.

I would love to hear opinions on the dairy free and/or vegan cakes in terms of taste from a Disney bakery or from Erin McKenna's.

TIA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter