Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else ordered the Her Royal Highness package at Cinderella's Royal Table? I saw the picture of the Anna and Elsa cake and the Ariel cake, but was wondering if anyone had examples of the other cakes? I did see the brochure picture, but it's fun to see what the cakes look like in "real life." I am leaning towards ordering the Anna and Elsa cake, but thought I'd just check to see if there were any more pics out there. Thank you everyone for sharing the cakes you have ordered! This board is definitely my favorite! :)

OK, I'm a tad late in my update to our custom cake experience. Only about 4 months, but better late than never, right? :blush:

We ordered a custom 6 inch from the Contemporary for my daughter's 10th birthday. We were surprising her at a lunch reservation at Whispering Canyon. I worked with Brian and all it took was a few emails, and a phone call to the cake hotline. It seemed intimidating, but researching this thread was all the hand-holding I needed to get through it! Thanks to everyone for their contributions!

Here is the inspiration photo I sent Brian - the only changes I requested were to brighten up the purple and to have a couple of the circles be made into "Hidden Mickeys"
bdaycake_zpsjr4alo7v.jpg

And here is the result: We were thrilled with the outcome - we went with chocolate cake, dark chocolate mousse filling, vanilla buttercream for under the fondant. It was soooooo delicious! Even the fondant, which I usually don't care for. I was quoted and paid $85. I felt it was a fair price for all the fondant work.

(The photos aren't spectacular and the cake was much more vivid/brighter in person - the lighting at WCC is kind of dark and I was trying not to use my flash.)
IMG_4450_zpsmwpfbb8u.jpg
IMG_4449_zpssqtpfzjs.jpg

IMG_4451_zpsqub3rxjj.jpg

IMG_4459_zpshogktitx.jpg

She wanted a piece with a Hidden Mickey!

And because we all know that one of the best things about birthday cake is the leftovers:
IMG_4641_zpssbzbvg0h.jpg
We polished quite a bit off at the restaurant - we did share with our waiter, though!

IMG_4640_zpsbdcd7usr.jpg
Day-after-birthday Breakfast!

(I have no idea why the pics are all different sizes - I resized them in photobucket to all the same dimensions!)

Last edited:
OK, I'm a tad late in my update to our custom cake experience. Only about 4 months, but better late than never, right? :blush:

We ordered a custom 6 inch from the Contemporary for my daughter's 10th birthday. We were surprising her at a lunch reservation at Whispering Canyon. I worked with Brian and all it took was a few emails, and a phone call to the cake hotline. It seemed intimidating, but researching this thread was all the hand-holding I needed to get through it! Thanks to everyone for their contributions!

Here is the inspiration photo I sent Brian - the only changes I requested were to brighten up the purple and to have a couple of the circles be made into "Hidden Mickeys"
bdaycake_zpsjr4alo7v.jpg

And here is the result: We were thrilled with the outcome - we went with chocolate cake, dark chocolate mousse filling, vanilla buttercream for under the fondant. It was soooooo delicious! Even the fondant, which I usually don't care for. I was quoted and paid $85. I felt it was a fair price for all the fondant work.

(The photos aren't spectacular and the cake was much more vivid/brighter in person - the lighting at WCC is kind of dark and I was trying not to use my flash.)
IMG_4450_zpsmwpfbb8u.jpg
IMG_4449_zpssqtpfzjs.jpg

IMG_4451_zpsqub3rxjj.jpg

IMG_4459_zpshogktitx.jpg

She wanted a piece with a Hidden Mickey!

And because we all know that one of the best things about birthday cake is the leftovers:
IMG_4641_zpssbzbvg0h.jpg
We polished quite a bit off at the restaurant - we did share with our waiter, though!

IMG_4640_zpsbdcd7usr.jpg
Day-after-birthday Breakfast!

(I have no idea why the pics are all different sizes - I resized them in photobucket to all the same dimensions!)
Beautiful daughter and lovely cake!

We had ordered DD's Birthday cake from the contemporary resort to be delivered at Chef Mickey's on September 6. I had emailed back and forth and came up with this beautiful cake. 8 inch chocolate cake with chocolate mouse filling. It had a hand painted white chocolate stitch figure. It was enough cake to allow for our party of 7 to have three pieces each. Best of all DD13 was really surprised. Her reaction was, " You try to cut it and I will hurt you". We convinced her to allow us to eat the thing but brought home the figure and flowers and made a display out of it. Price: $160

11992022_10153562792010782_1676138393_n.jpg 11992195_10153562972955782_470703593_n.jpg

It had a layer of buttercream. My DH and DD are pretty basic so it was vanilla w/vanilla buttercream. It looked beautiful and it was DELISH! We took it back to our hotel and kept in the fridge to eat as a bed time snack the remainder of the week.
Thank you! I am not crazy about fondant, so I just wondered what would left once I pulled it off...I LOVE filled cakes, but I digress. I think my "Sweet 16"er will be sooo thrilled with its beautiful appearance, she won't care...But for $100+, I want to have some thing that tastes decent!!!

I called about a month ago for a cake-left a message with no response. Called again Friday, left another message, no response. Is there another way to contact them? I'm trying to get a cake at POR

Thank you! I am not crazy about fondant, so I just wondered what would left once I pulled it off...I LOVE filled cakes, but I digress. I think my "Sweet 16"er will be sooo thrilled with its beautiful appearance, she won't care...But for $100+, I want to have some thing that tastes decent!!!

It was Delish and it is buttercream filling and under the fondant.

We had ordered DD's Birthday cake from the contemporary resort to be delivered at Chef Mickey's on September 6.

Thanks for sharing! They did an amazing job painting that Stitch figure!

I called about a month ago for a cake-left a message with no response. Called again Friday, left another message, no response. Is there another way to contact them? I'm trying to get a cake at POR

I would start bombarding them with calls—at least one per day. You might also try calling the main number for the resort and explaining that you haven't been able to get in touch with anyone. Perhaps they can try someone else who can get you to the right person.

I've been trying to read through this thread (and the others that came before it), but wow - it's like hitting a brick wall of (really good) information! So I was hoping someone might be able to help me answer a few more specific questions as I'm trying to work this all out.

We'll be in Disney for my husband's birthday, and I thought this might be an awesome gift for him because he's such a cake fanatic. We're eating dinner at Be Our Guest that night at 7pm (park closes at 10pm). I've been eyeballing the mini cakes because I think that would be just perfect for the two of us (no other family or kids).

So questions:

1) Is it possible to have a mini cake delivered to Be Our Guest in the Magic Kingdom?

2) How strict is the "only white/chocolate cake with white/chocolate icing" rule on mini cakes? I'm fine with white cake/white icing, but is it possible to request a filling such as fresh strawberries or something like that?

3) Would this cake come from the Magic Kingdom's own bakery or another location (Contemporary, Grand Floridian, etc.)?

4) General question - lots of different folks order from lots of different places. Is there an overall "preferred" bakery when it comes to ordering cakes?

Thank you for your help. :)
And thank you in advance.

We had ordered DD's Birthday cake from the contemporary resort to be delivered at Chef Mickey's on September 6. I had emailed back and forth and came up with this beautiful cake. 8 inch chocolate cake with chocolate mouse filling. It had a hand painted white chocolate stitch figure. It was enough cake to allow for our party of 7 to have three pieces each. Best of all DD13 was really surprised. Her reaction was, " You try to cut it and I will hurt you". We convinced her to allow us to eat the thing but brought home the figure and flowers and made a display out of it. Price: $160
]

Your cake is adorable! I got the 2D standing Stitch figure and my fiance thought that was the best cake ever. He would have cried had he gotten a chocolate stitch figure and the cake your daughter got(He is 28 btw). I'm sure he wouldn't have eaten the Stitch either.

View attachment 129958 View attachment 129959
Beautiful cake and beautiful daughter.:)

I've been trying to read through this thread (and the others that came before it), but wow - it's like hitting a brick wall of (really good) information! So I was hoping someone might be able to help me answer a few more specific questions as I'm trying to work this all out.

We'll be in Disney for my husband's birthday, and I thought this might be an awesome gift for him because he's such a cake fanatic. We're eating dinner at Be Our Guest that night at 7pm (park closes at 10pm). I've been eyeballing the mini cakes because I think that would be just perfect for the two of us (no other family or kids).

So questions:

1) Is it possible to have a mini cake delivered to Be Our Guest in the Magic Kingdom?

2) How strict is the "only white/chocolate cake with white/chocolate icing" rule on mini cakes? I'm fine with white cake/white icing, but is it possible to request a filling such as fresh strawberries or something like that?

3) Would this cake come from the Magic Kingdom's own bakery or another location (Contemporary, Grand Floridian, etc.)?

4) General question - lots of different folks order from lots of different places. Is there an overall "preferred" bakery when it comes to ordering cakes?

Thank you for your help. :)
And thank you in advance.

Yes, you can order a mini cake for BoG. As for the flavors and fillings when we had our last mini cake a couple years ago through the Contemporary bakery we were able to get different options for cakes and fillings and that included fruit (strawberries specifically). However, I did recently read that they don't offer fruit as a filling for mini cakes so perhaps that has changed.

The cakes served in Magic Kingdom are made by the Contemporary bakery.

In regards to which bakery I think people have their own preferences. I've only worked with the Contemporary as we've only had cakes in restaurants at MK and we've had such positive experiences I'm hesitant to go elsewhere. The actual recipes are supposed to be the same across all the bakeries, but the options and prices may vary.

Just to clarify, where you can order from depends on where you're having the cake delivered. You can't have, say, the Grand Floridian make you a cake if you want it delivered to Hollywood Studios. But many of us prefer to work with the Contemporary pastry team because they are the most open to customization and usually quote the lowest prices. So we make our reservations at places that are serviced by the Contemporary (Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Fort Wilderness & Magic Kingdom).

I'm trying to decide when to order a cake for my trip in December. 3 years ago I worked with Pat from the Grand Floridian and had the cake delivered directly to our room there where we stayed. It came out great, exactly what I wanted, but this time I want to try something from Chef Brian at the Contemporary.
I don't suppose they would deliver a cake to the Grand Floridian from the Contemporary because that was the easiest option?

Just a few questions about getting a cake then delivered to Chef Mickey's or Be Our Guest. I saw in a post or two up that the Contemporary services Be Our Guest. When having a cake at either of these restaurants, would they wrap up the remaining cake for you to take with you? (I've seen that the restaurants won't hold the rest of cakes until the end of the night, is this still true?)

Then my concern would be how well it is wrapped to carry it around the parks. Our reservation for Chef Mickey is for breakfast so if we didn't want to stop back at the hotel (Grand Floridian) and then go to the parks, we would have to carry the cake around all day. Has anyone actually done that without resulting in a disasterous clump of cake at the end of the day?

Our reservation at Be Our Guest is for dinner during Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, which obviously would be less time carrying the cake around after dinner. Again, any tips for carrying a cake around with you?

Lurkyloo I'm specifically looking to get a muppets cake like the Fozzie Bear cake that you had made by the Contemporary, but maybe Rowlf or Kermit if possible. The cake you had made looked amazing. What do you think would be my best option at getting a cake made by the Contemporary and having leftovers between those two restaurants? I appreciate any feedback on making this happen. Thanks!

I'm trying to decide when to order a cake for my trip in December. 3 years ago I worked with Pat from the Grand Floridian and had the cake delivered directly to our room there where we stayed. It came out great, exactly what I wanted, but this time I want to try something from Chef Brian at the Contemporary.
I don't suppose they would deliver a cake to the Grand Floridian from the Contemporary because that was the easiest option?

Just a few questions about getting a cake then delivered to Chef Mickey's or Be Our Guest. I saw in a post or two up that the Contemporary services Be Our Guest. When having a cake at either of these restaurants, would they wrap up the remaining cake for you to take with you? (I've seen that the restaurants won't hold the rest of cakes until the end of the night, is this still true?)

Then my concern would be how well it is wrapped to carry it around the parks. Our reservation for Chef Mickey is for breakfast so if we didn't want to stop back at the hotel (Grand Floridian) and then go to the parks, we would have to carry the cake around all day. Has anyone actually done that without resulting in a disasterous clump of cake at the end of the day?

Our reservation at Be Our Guest is for dinner during Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, which obviously would be less time carrying the cake around after dinner. Again, any tips for carrying a cake around with you?

Lurkyloo I'm specifically looking to get a muppets cake like the Fozzie Bear cake that you had made by the Contemporary, but maybe Rowlf or Kermit if possible. The cake you had made looked amazing. What do you think would be my best option at getting a cake made by the Contemporary and having leftovers between those two restaurants? I appreciate any feedback on making this happen. Thanks!

They have lockers at the front. Maybe better to stow the box in a rented locker for the day? Assuming it will be a reasonable cool day.

My opinion, I would get it at Chef Mickey's then take the monorail to the Grand Floridian and drop it off in my room. It wouldn't take that long to do and you would have it taken care of. I wouldn't carry it around all day or leave it in a locker.

Here is a cake from last March. It was an 8-inch chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream icing and peanut buttercup filling. The picture was washed out because we were in the West Wing and I was using my Droid Razr which took horrible pics. The waves around the base were blue and turquoise and it was supposed to be Sorcerer Mickey in Fantasmic. The stars were sparkle silver and there was edible silver glitter on the top. It was really quite adorable and got lots of oohs and aahs from the BOG waitstaff. It was ordered from the CR and cost $106 plus tax and gratuity. It was delicious but since it was just my dd and and I most of it ended up in the trash.

cake.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter