Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning on having a cake delivered to our villa for my parents anniversary in a couple of weeks. Do you think it would be better to have the cake delivered on check in day or the next day? If they deliver it on check in day and we aren't able to get into our room yet will the front desk hold it? TIA!

When I spoke w/ Pat at the GF bakery, I wanted those ears for our 25 year anniversary cake...I don't recall the price, but it was CRAZY. She suggested the white chocolate Minnie/Mickey edible statue instead; I think it was $15. EVERY little add on seems to be costly...

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a look to see what else I can find to top it instead. I'm sure I saw a nice heart with a picture of Mickey and Minnie on it somewhere on here ....

When I spoke w/ Pat at the GF bakery, I wanted those ears for our 25 year anniversary cake...I don't recall the price, but it was CRAZY. She suggested the white chocolate Minnie/Mickey edible statue instead; I think it was $15. EVERY little add on seems to be costly...
Oh nOOOO- This is exactly the cake I wanted- Well I wanted the topper on a buttercream cake not a fondant cake....I wonder how much they want for those topper hats?

I am planning on having a cake delivered to our villa for my parents anniversary in a couple of weeks. Do you think it would be better to have the cake delivered on check in day or the next day? If they deliver it on check in day and we aren't able to get into our room yet will the front desk hold it? TIA!

They will not deliver it until you have checked in to your room. If you use the new Magic Band-linked feature that allows you to check in early without going to the desk, they might be able to do it, but I would not count on it until they get all the kinks worked out.

Oh nOOOO- This is exactly the cake I wanted- Well I wanted the topper on a buttercream cake not a fondant cake....I wonder how much they want for those topper hats?
I know, I really wanted them too and can't understand how they could cost more than the moulded figures. I have seen them on mini cakes and they don' t seem to have added much to the price. Will be calling the GF soon so if I find out I'll post the info here.

I know, I really wanted them too and can't understand how they could cost more than the moulded figures. I have seen them on mini cakes and they don' t seem to have added much to the price. Will be calling the GF soon so if I find out I'll post the info here.

Yes, please do. I wonder if the price can vary by the whim of the CM.

LynnMc2015- Yes please post what you find out- I'm interested - Thanks

Need cake idea help!

This year has been a roller coaster for our family. My father passed a few weeks ago. This week our 12 year old dog died. In two weeks my niece and only grandchild of my parents gets married. Circle of Life - right?! Well I decided we all needed a break, so in December we're all going to WDW for several days, my mom, sister, BIL, niece and new husband (oh and me :)). Ending the year with celebration of life. While there it is my BILs 70th Bday and we'll celebrate the new marriage. Got new marriage covered with the florist wedding package. BIL 70th though, I want a FABULOUS cake. We are at CR and eating at Chef Mickey and MK, so will probably be using Chef Brian.

BIL is Navy veteran. Big gamer. Not one of the members of the family that are Disney lovers, so don't want to make it too Disney but want that Disney magic. I saw the treasure chest but not sure pirate is the right genre for a Navy guy. 70th is a big deal, so want to make it special.

Any ideas?

Need cake idea help!

This year has been a roller coaster for our family. My father passed a few weeks ago. This week our 12 year old dog died. In two weeks my niece and only grandchild of my parents gets married. Circle of Life - right?! Well I decided we all needed a break, so in December we're all going to WDW for several days, my mom, sister, BIL, niece and new husband (oh and me :)). Ending the year with celebration of life. While there it is my BILs 70th Bday and we'll celebrate the new marriage. Got new marriage covered with the florist wedding package. BIL 70th though, I want a FABULOUS cake. We are at CR and eating at Chef Mickey and MK, so will probably be using Chef Brian.

BIL is Navy veteran. Big gamer. Not one of the members of the family that are Disney lovers, so don't want to make it too Disney but want that Disney magic. I saw the treasure chest but not sure pirate is the right genre for a Navy guy. 70th is a big deal, so want to make it special.

Any ideas?
First, I hope you have a amazing vacation.
Cake- Navy- Donald Duck is Navy. Could just do Donald colors, with a anchor and rope.

Sounds like a fun trip! You cannot order a cake for CBR directly from BoardWalk Bakery. You have to go through CBR's food service department by calling Shutters in advance (see Post #2). Even though BWB will be making the cake, if you call them directly, they will tell you they don't deliver to CBR.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Have decided to try and have parents' cake made by Contemporary and have it with the Stitch cake on our first day. Have just emailed with my ideas so fingers crossed!

Here is the cake my daughter had at the California Grill. It was vanilla cake with chocolate mousse filling. I believe the cost was 100.00, my parents placed the order and paid in advance for it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
Hi,
Sorry this is such a long post - feel free to skip:-)
I have been lurking on the boards for years and have been reading every post on all the cake threads for weeks now.
After 28 trips this is my first time ordering a custom cake.
First I would like to thank everyone who has answered, posted or replied. I have learn so much from you all.
I think with everyone ordering a custom cake there is a story behind the cake, so as briefly as possible here is mine.

My husband & I have 3 kids, 2 boys & the "baby" is a girl. Now the baby will be 16 on 9/8 and the only thing she asked is to be in the Magic Kingdom when she turned 16. (so midnight on the 7th). Everyone else in the family has had at least 1 birthday in Disney. Somehow everything aligned and her birthday fell on Labor day weekend so only 1 day of school missed. Kamy attends a special program where she is on a college campus all day and does high school and college at the same time. Lot's of pressure & work. Missing a day is like missing a week. We will be leaving Friday night right after my middle's football game (senior) and taking Kamy & her 2 best friends.
The girls have a whole princess theme going on, Kamy's favorite is Ariel and we have Em as Cinderella & Sam as Auroa. We went all out so custom Disney cheer bows, monogram string backpacks and 2 rooms in the Little Mermaid section at AOA.

We started planning back in March and it was just going to be a 1 night quickie but in April my husband was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. (he had just turned 59) It worsened quickly and in May he had an emergency quad bypass. While being rolled into the operating room he coded and it was 6 minutes before they could get any heart beat back. He was placed on the bypass machine. A Dr. came to the waiting room and told me it was doubtful that his heart would restart and that I should call my kids and get them to the hospital to say goodbye (we live in Myrtle Beach and the surgery was at MUSC in Charleston SC about 2 hours away). At that moment everything in all of our lives changed forever.

Fast forward, we had a miracle and after 14 days in ICU and the greatest surgeon in the world we are back at the beach and living everyday to the fullest.

Now finally to the cake ... this is a HUGE splurge and really the only surprise for Kamy.
After reading everything I could and looking at every picture of Disney cakes possible 1 month to the day before our dinner at Ohana's I called Pat at the GF to place the order. Thanks to all the info on this thread I felt very prepared to make sure I would get the exact cake I wanted. I knew I had options and didn't have to accept a stock/standard cake.

The first call with Pat did not go as smoothly as it could have. She started with the 'No"s" No you cant have lemon flavored cake, no to the fresh raspberry filling, no to 2 white chocolate messages on the cake. I'm not going to lie it was at that moment I broke. Everything that I had held in for 5 months came out. I began to cry and asked her why she had to make this so difficult, my whole story came blubbering out, and I just sobbed. After a minute or so we both regained our composure and were able to work together. She took all of my requested asked me to mail pictures of the cakes I had seen that I liked and she would call me back soon.

Here is where I hope I can repay all that I learned here and maybe offer a small piece of advice. In my head I had this cake all designed and knew exactly what I wanted, or so I thought???? 10 inch lemon flavored cake with fresh raspberry filling, 3 princess figures on the cake, 2 white chocolate banners, lots of sparkle, LED light up feature, grown up looking & every single sea shell and creature possible.

Pat called and gave me everything I asked for - the quote $190.00! Ouch my budget was $120.00 so I knew I had to make some changes. So I finally started listening and turn loose some. Pat explained to me that what I was ordering was not going to look like what I really wanted, I wanted every cool beautiful element on every cake I had ever seen, I was on cake overload! She talked me off the ledge and below is what I ordered or our dinner at Ohana's on Saturday.

Cake - 10 inch lemon flavor
Filling - fresh strawberries in vanilla butter cream (raspberry's are not in season and may not look/taste good Pat helped me to understand that)
Topper - Ariel ornament that I had shipped to the GF ( I haven't see it so fingers crossed) they don't have access to many options for accessories on cakes the
only thing Pat could work with was what was sold in the gift shop so plastic small figures which I would have needed 2 sets @ $20.00 each to get my 3 princesses.
LED - it will glow not sure how but it will ( this was important to me so Pat made it work)
Decorations - no clue it will just be a surprise

So what I learned and others may find helpful is - figure out what is really important to you, be flexible on the rest.
Just because something looked nice on one cake doesn't mean it will work for you.
And if you designed every element of your cake you may be limiting the imagination of the baker/decorator and missing out on some magic!

I will post pictures and an update when we get back. Pat called yesterday just to check in and she really is a sweetheart!

Thanks again for all the help I received here!

Update on my cake delivery at Pop. I had scheduled an 8pm delivery (the latest they would schedule).

Our flight was supposed to land at 5:57, but we didn't land until 6:35 due to weather (spent extra time in the air). Got to Pop at 8:20. Even though we had our room number texted to us, I went to the on-line check in desk to ask about the cake, the cast member went in back and checked, came back and have me a thumbs up (dd had joine med at the counter). Got to our room and it was there with plates and plastic silverware.

Sounds like a fun trip! You cannot order a cake for CBR directly from BoardWalk Bakery. You have to go through CBR's food service department by calling Shutters in advance (see Post #2). Even though BWB will be making the cake, if you call them directly, they will tell you they don't deliver to CBR.

Thanks. Have decided to try and have parents' cake made by Contemporary and have it with the Stitch cake on our first day. Have just emailed with my ideas so fingers crossed![/QUOTE]

Update - got a really quick response from Chef Brian who quoted $35 for a 2 tier mini cake in Mickey design with the small mouse ears on top for my parents, and $55 for a single tier cake in a Stitch theme with a 2D image of Lilo and Stitch on top for my daughter. Really pleased with both of those. Hope my experience getting the other 2 cakes from the GF goes just as smoothly!

Picked up our cake on Sunday; we ordered a 6in gluten free cake with a haunted mansion theme. Total was $64 and I asked that they make the cake look as nice as possible for that amount (they originally quoted me $100 for a fully decorated haunted mansion cake as an 8inch cake but that was too much cake).
image.jpg image.jpg
I thought it came out ok-looking. But when we cut it open, it looks like carrot cake! We had ordered plain white cake. Now, it's gluten free (my husband has a wheat allergy) so I knew it would taste different but it honestly has no taste at all. I'm not even sure if it is the right flavor! Given the price and the fact that it didn't taste like anything, I don't see us ordering another Disney cake when we have to go gluten-free.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 251
Had a great experience last Feb ordering from Boardwalk bakery. We stayed at Boardwalk villas and had cakes delivered to our room. My son turned 3 years old and my mom turned 69 on the same day. I ordered a small 2 tier mini chocolate cake for my mom and a jake and never land cake for my son. They did an amazing job with my son's cake--vanilla cake with blue icing...they added gold chocolate coins and gram crackers for sand. (Sorry I don't have any pics--will try and upload). Cost was around $100 for the jake cake). I was opened to whatever design they decided--just told the bakery my son loved jake and they did a great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter