• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so glad you posted this, that is the type of cake we were considering!

To wrap my mind around pricing....

If we choose that shape/size, but put a Mulan screen print on it with "Welcome to Disney" on the chocolate it should be about the same price? Girl it up in pink and white and add cherry blossoms?

Not quite sure. I think it is dependant on where you are ordering first of all (I ordered through Contemporary with Chef Brian). If you order through Comtemporary it may be about the same; the cherry blossoms may increase the price a bit, but I'm not sure. Only way to know for sure is to contact the resort/park that would handle the delivery. Sorry I wasn't much help!

We are staying at Port Orleans FQ. Should I ask them regarding an almond mini cake (I see Boardwalk does theirs? This is all new and special to me. This whole cake business. :D )? And then maybe just ask to have it delivered to our dining place? I know it may be asking too much of Disney but ... but... yeah, I want it.

Yes! They might also be able to scare up someone to bring it to your room!

Hey guys! Another successful cake -- Sorry the pictures aren't so great.

Ordered this for my grandfather's 90th and they enjoyed it at the Wave last night (wish i could have been there!):
6" vanilla cake - strawberry and custard filling
$65

View attachment 91711 View attachment 91709

I never posted photos of the cake I received at the California Grill in November because it felt like a total rip off at the time and I am still irritated about it...seeing this cake at this price is proof positive that my cake received little care or attention for the price we paid. Sorry, Chef Brian, but it is true. :(.

So glad yours was cute, somelicious!

I never posted photos of the cake I received at the California Grill in November because it felt like a total rip off at the time and I am still irritated about it...seeing this cake at this price is proof positive that my cake received little care or attention for the price we paid. Sorry, Chef Brian, but it is true. :(.

So glad yours was cute, somelicious!

Even without pics, what size/themed cake did you get, and was it poor tasting, sloppy, etc? I've always heard rave things about Chef Brian, so am just curious.

I too would love to see this cake and hear about your experience. I think it's important to share ALL opinions here—if we wanted only the Susie Sunshine version, we'd only be reading the Official Disney Parks Blog! :teeth:

Even without pics, what size/themed cake did you get, and was it poor tasting, sloppy, etc? I've always heard rave things about Chef Brian, so am just curious.

It was 6" inch with a "holiday castle" theme. Lilac buttercream (so, no fondant), a couple sugared snowflakes, chocolate with chocolate and peanut butter ganache filling. $80

Honestly, this is the first time I have admitted I was disappointed by it. The server kept telling me it was so pretty and special that I thought it was just us. My DH ordered it for me - he wasn't on the trip, it was just me and my youngest DS - and, well, he was semi-reluctant to spend that much for a 6" cake but he did it. We facetimed during the celebration and he was deeply unimpressed, but I told him it was "better in person" because I didn't want him to be disappointed. Only it wasn't.

Anyway, the buttercream was sloppy. The cake was dry. The snowflakes were stuck on wire skewers set really tall so it looked...odd.

So, I don't feel comfortable posting a photo. But, here was my original inspiration, only I wanted lilac and buttercream (to save a few dollars).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 305
It was 6" inch with a "holiday castle" theme. Lilac buttercream (so, no fondant), a couple sugared snowflakes, chocolate with chocolate and peanut butter ganache filling. $80

Honestly, this is the first time I have admitted I was disappointed by it. The server kept telling me it was so pretty and special that I thought it was just us. My DH ordered it for me - he wasn't on the trip, it was just me and my youngest DS - and, well, he was semi-reluctant to spend that much for a 6" cake but he did it. We facetimed during the celebration and he was deeply unimpressed, but I told him it was "better in person" because I didn't want him to be disappointed. Only it wasn't.

Anyway, the buttercream was sloppy. The cake was dry. The snowflakes were stuck on wire skewers set really tall so it looked...odd.

So, I don't feel comfortable posting a photo. But, here was my original inspiration, only I wanted lilac and buttercream (to save a few dollars).

Without a photo it's hard to judge but going from a fondant inspiration to butter cream requires often changing things because they are completely different mediums. Fondant was made to hold up as it were where buttercream is preferred by many because of taste. Given the inspiration photo I can see why it might have been difficult to produce a butter cream version that really does the inspiration cake justice. I am sorry you were disappointed but I do think this is why it's important to have an in depth conversation to ensure the vision can be carried out - perhaps both sides faltered in this case. I myself had buttercream for my wedding cake over fondant and it was very simple but the bakery carried out my idea flawlessly because it was within reason for a buttercream design that would hold up. I will be getting an 8 inch fondant haunted mansion inspired cake because even though there's only two of us , I didn't want to sacrifice on what I wanted and it was still only $85 from Boardwalk Bakery. I hope you can still try to enjoy something in the future.

Without a photo it's hard to judge but going from a fondant inspiration to butter cream requires often changing things because they are completely different mediums. Fondant was made to hold up as it were where buttercream is preferred by many because of taste. Given the inspiration photo I can see why it might have been difficult to produce a butter cream version that really does the inspiration cake justice. I am sorry you were disappointed but I do think this is why it's important to have an in depth conversation to ensure the vision can be carried out - perhaps both sides faltered in this case. I myself had buttercream for my wedding cake over fondant and it was very simple but the bakery carried out my idea flawlessly because it was within reason for a buttercream design that would hold up. I will be getting an 8 inch fondant haunted mansion inspired cake because even though there's only two of us , I didn't want to sacrifice on what I wanted and it was still only $85 from Boardwalk Bakery. I hope you can still try to enjoy something in the future.

I provided a buttercream inspiration sample photo, actually two, to the bakery as well. The PP asked me for an idea of theme and that is what I was posted. My posts here were a brief synopsis of what transpired and it is rather surprising that you would apply so many (off-base) assumptions to my experience. Nor is your critique of me as a customer necessary. Suffice it say, you are wrong as well about whether there was in depth conversations and if it was as hard to do on buttercream as you say, the opportunity to say so was available. That doesn't excuse any of the other issues anyway, so I won't accept any blame or "falter". Thanks for making me regret posting anything at all.

Ok, new here. not sure if I'm posting right. Anyway having ordering nightmares. After finally securing impossible reservations at Ohana's for an extremely important family occasion. I went to order a custom cake. I have ordered before through Chef Brian and had a spectacular cake. Anyway after butting heads with Pat from GF for several days, when I finally did get a hold of her. And after No you can't have that and No you cant have that and I cant guarantee that. I asked to speak or email chef directly. And no I can not do that. So I contacted Contemporary. Again no problem with what I wanted and was even quoted almost $35 less. Back to Pat and she did let me email her with what I wanted and said she would get back to me with pics. Still waiting. I have a some time but still.... My dilemma. Should I scrape the Ohana reservation and go to a Contemporary serviced one? Which I can do no problem. I am freaking a little. Most everything I read here is negative on working with Pat, But saw nothing on anyone's experience after they did get their cake through GF. If it was what they expected, better, worse?????? Should I change now and save my self any more headaches????

Ok, new here. not sure if I'm posting right. Anyway having ordering nightmares. After finally securing impossible reservations at Ohana's for an extremely important family occasion. I went to order a custom cake. I have ordered before through Chef Brian and had a spectacular cake. Anyway after butting heads with Pat from GF for several days, when I finally did get a hold of her. And after No you can't have that and No you cant have that and I cant guarantee that. I asked to speak or email chef directly. And no I can not do that. So I contacted Contemporary. Again no problem with what I wanted and was even quoted almost $35 less. Back to Pat and she did let me email her with what I wanted and said she would get back to me with pics. Still waiting. I have a some time but still.... My dilemma. Should I scrape the Ohana reservation and go to a Contemporary serviced one? Which I can do no problem. I am freaking a little. Most everything I read here is negative on working with Pat, But saw nothing on anyone's experience after they did get their cake through GF. If it was what they expected, better, worse?????? Should I change now and save my self any more headaches????

It might make things easier to just book an ADR that is served by the Contemporary unless you are set on having the cake at Ohana. The savings alone would probably have me considering it.

I provided a buttercream inspiration sample photo, actually two, to the bakery as well. The PP asked me for an idea of theme and that is what I was posted. My posts here were a brief synopsis of what transpired and it is rather surprising that you would apply so many (off-base) assumptions to my experience. Nor is your critique of me as a customer necessary. Suffice it say, you are wrong as well about whether there was in depth conversations and if it was as hard to do on buttercream as you say, the opportunity to say so was available. That doesn't excuse any of the other issues anyway, so I won't accept any blame or "falter". Thanks for making me regret posting anything at all.

Having an opinion of what happened isn't a personal attack or critique, it's simply an opinion from an outside source. With only the details you provided is what I based said opinion on is all. /shrug

The point of these forums is to have discussions not to always agree with each other. I can't control how you choose to feel and certainly you are not under scrutiny or attack just was making a brief possible scenario among many possibilities. Regardless I'm sorry you did have such a negative experience.

@lurkyloo Here is the updated info from CRT. I wasn't sure if you had seen it, but the first post goes to the old info. Thanks for all your help on this thread . . . I'm gearing up to call Chef Brian soon for our September trip :cool1:

Attachments

• NEW_RoyalHighnessPackage-1.pdf
    309.9 KB · Views: 180
I apologize if this is answered somewhere in the thread, but needing to know the answer rather urgently as we are leaving for our trip in an hour! My sister and I are splitting the cost of a custom cake from Magic Kingdom cakes for my parents' 25th Anniversary. I was quoted at $74 plus tax and gratuity. Does anyone know around how much tax and gratiuty usually is? I need to tell my sister how much it will be total. Thanks in advance!

@lurkyloo Here is the updated info from CRT. I wasn't sure if you had seen it, but the first post goes to the old info. Thanks for all your help on this thread . . . I'm gearing up to call Chef Brian soon for our September trip :cool1:

Okay, those Princess cakes are actually super cute. LOVE that you can get the more "unusual" princesses!

Ahhhh I sooo want the Anna and Elsa cake how cute is that. Those are really awesome.

It might make things easier to just book an ADR that is served by the Contemporary unless you are set on having the cake at Ohana. The savings alone would probably have me considering it.
Seriously considering it. I was hoping someone that had dealt with the GF on a larger custom cake that had issues with the ordering could let me know if everything turned out in end or not. We really love Ohana's and even got so lucky to get reservations at fireworks time.

We just got back from a fantastic trip with some cakes that we absolutely loved!

Price:$151
Date Received: 4/25/15
Cake Info: This was an 8 inch cake decorated with blue fondant. It was vanilla cake with Bavarian cream filling. The cake was moist and delicious. We worked with Amy from the Magic Kingdom and she was amazing to work with and got back to me very quickly about the cake.

Price: $40
Date Received: 4/26/15
Cake Info: This was a mini cake with vanilla cake and vanilla buttercream. I was very happy with this cake. Pat was great to deal with. She was extremely helpful and a very nice person. We've dealt with her in the past and loved her too.

Price: This was part of the Royal Higness package at CRT, but the cake itself was $80
Date Received: 4/29/15
Cake Info: The cake was fondant with vanilla cake and vanilla buttercream. It was very easy to order the package.

Price: $35
Date Received: 4/29/15
Cake Info: This was a mini cake with vanilla cake and vanilla buttercream.

We also bought a castle mini cake and slipper dessert on this trip and dealt with Pat for both. They were perfect, but seeing as they are pretty standard I won't post them.

Thanks for posting this! I'll make a new post to link to in the first post.

I apologize if this is answered somewhere in the thread, but needing to know the answer rather urgently as we are leaving for our trip in an hour! My sister and I are splitting the cost of a custom cake from Magic Kingdom cakes for my parents' 25th Anniversary. I was quoted at $74 plus tax and gratuity. Does anyone know around how much tax and gratiuty usually is? I need to tell my sister how much it will be total. Thanks in advance!

Tax is 6.5%. Since you're having the cake at a restaurant, the gratuity will be whatever you want—unless you use Tables In Wonderland, in which case it will be 18%.

We just got back from a fantastic trip with some cakes that we absolutely loved!.

Thanks so much for posting all these photos and details! :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter