Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the Redhead Cake that I had made for my mom's birthday.

Details:
8inch Vanilla cake with strawberry fruit mousse
Red fondant with roses and a chocolate screen print of the Marc Davis art of the redhead from the Pirates of the Caribbean ride (idea courtesy of lurkyloo :thumbsup2)
Taste was excellent!
It was created by Crystal, a pastry chef at the Y&BC

Cost:
$85 plus tax, put on TiW (didn't want it to be, but the server did anyway so she got a better tip...we were going to tip more anyway because she was really good, but once we saw that she got the extra tip on the cake, we decided not to).

Ordering Process:
This was very stressful. I didn't want to order to far in advance so I called the private dining line for the Y&BC on Dec 31 and spoke to Johanna. Because this cake was hard to explain, she had me send an email, which I did right away with pictures and a full explanation of what I was wanting.
I followed up after the holiday weekend to make sure she got the email and was told that they had to send for approval to use the picture and she would contact me when she heard something.
I waited 4 days and emailed her to check on the status. She did not respond.
I emailed her on the Monday we arrived (Jan 12) to tell her we were at the Beach Club and could she please let me know what was going on and also that I would not be at home so not to call there. No response.
I called the private dining line the next morning and was told by someone else that they were still waiting on approval. I explained that I needed this cake by Saturday. The girl told me she would look into it personally and call me back.
No call.
I called the next afternoon and spoke to Yamira who told me that they were still waiting on approval. I was getting frustrated at this point and said that I had been waiting 2 weeks for an approval. She told me it can take up to 30 days to get an approval.
I nearly lost it. I explained that someone yesterday morning said they were going to look into personally and call me back and they never did.
She placed me on hold for about 5 minutes and came back and said they had the approval for the picture AND the saying "We Wants the Redhead!" which I didn't know they needed.
Now, I didn't even know how much this cake would be because they hadn't sent it to the bakery. I had to call back the next afternoon to get that. Now I was worried the cake would be $150!
When I called I was told Johanna had called and left a message about the cake. She called my home phone.... Needless to say I wasn't pleased with the service from Johanna.
All was well, got the quote and the cake was awesome.

Now, for some pictures!

The details of the roses and leaves were amazing and made of gum paste.
My mom kept the picture and most of the roses and the goblet with 'gold' chocolate coins :)
All I had asked for was the red fondant, roses and the 'drapes' to look like the slip under the skirt. Crystal did an amazing job in adding the extra details and I will be sending off an email to Disney about her.

Just back...I had ordered a mini cake to be delivered to our Afternoon Tea ressie at the GF. It was so pretty and a nice surprise for my husband, however, I did expect it would taste better for being $35. There was soooo much icing on the cake and the cake itself was very dry. Unfortunately, it looked much better than it tasted.

Thank you so much for posting this it really helps me as I was wanting to order almost exactly the same but with Pluto, same restaurant, size, flavours and colours though. This is brilliant to help me know what it might be like. Do you have to specify how you want the cake decorated or just say blue fondant and pluto on top?

Thank you. I'm so excited to see my DD's face when this comes out pluto:

So glad it's helpful! I found photos on other threads and via google searches for "goofy cake fondant" and then e-mailed the Contemporary Bakery (address in lurkyloo's intro on this thread.) I sent them photos of the cake I liked best and then listed the following in my description:

6" vanilla cake with vanilla frosting
blue fondant with mickey head balloons
hand-painted chocolate Goofy on top

I think the photos really helped, so feel free to cut and paste my photos and description into an e-mail to them and just say "Pluto" instead of Goofy! Good luck! Our son was so thrilled - it was priceless.

OK, I'm now on to my next project: a mini cake for Easter! Does anyone have experiences or photos to share? I have three boys - so no flowers. Thinking easter eggs and Mickey.

Lurkyloo, do you have pics saved of most of the cakes? I'm in contact with Donald at the Contemporary trying to determine if a more elaborate pirate cake can be made with allergy safe ingredients for my son. He asked for pics and I have seen several here over the years.

Just wondering if you had them saved or if there is a place where just the cake photos can be found. If not, I will scroll through until I find them again. Just looking for some of the fondant pirate cakes that have been done with treasure chests, skulls, etc.

Thanks!

ETA: I did end up finding a few from cake gallergy photos up through July 2010. If there are any newer ones somewhere you are aware though I'd love to see them too. Thanks!

Hi there! I have started saving photos to a Flickr account that I hope will be helpful, but I've been so busy these past few months that I haven't made much headway. Eventually I want to grab all the photos out of these threads because they do tend to get lost. There is a pretty amazing treasure chest cake in there, though!

Your best bet might be a general Google search for Pirate cakes and "Disney" or to Google "pirate cake site:disboards.com" to limit it to just this site.

Here is the Redhead Cake that I had made for my mom's birthday.

That is awesome! I'm so glad it turned out so well. And I love that they put the screen print inside that PERFECT frame instead of just slapping it on the cake or outlining it in frosting. Thanks so much for sharing all these photos and details!

Just back...I had ordered a mini cake to be delivered to our Afternoon Tea ressie at the GF. It was so pretty and a nice surprise for my husband, however, I did expect it would taste better for being $35. There was soooo much icing on the cake and the cake itself was very dry. Unfortunately, it looked much better than it tasted.

Sorry to hear you had a crummy-tasting cake. Do you have any photos of the cake you could share?

Ok here it is!!

Thanks for posting! :thumbsup2

Hi all, what a wonderfully helpful thread!! Thanks to everyone for all the pics and tips. I sent an email to CRT about ordering a cake for DD birthday and I got a general email reply that they are currently closed for refurb and their packages are being re-imagined and I should try back closer to my trip :(. How long in advance do these things need to be ordered? For a cake for CRT does it need to be ordered from CRT? I saw someone post the picks of the princesses on top of the cakes, anyone know if they had Elsa/Ana?

TIA!

Has anyone had a Grumpy cake? That is soooo my DH when it comes to Disney and I plan to surprise next trip with a birthday cake. (I would do a Mr Incredible cake but he has no idea who that character is)

I'm done a custom cake in the theme parks before (to GREAT success!), but I'm wondering if you can order custom cakes on a disney cruise? is there a similar process, and who would I contact? thanks!

Our trip is in June, a month after my brother and his girlfriend graduate college! I want to surprise them with mini cakes at one of our meals. Does anyone have suggestions on a design for a mini cake themed after the Green Aliens from Toy Story? They've always been my brother's favorite:) I'm thinking I'm going to have them made for our reservation at Narcoossee's or Chef Mickey's!

I rang the cake order line was given the email address for Chef Brian..sent an email on Tuesday but nothing back yet....should I try again?

I rang the cake order line was given the email address for Chef Brian..sent an email on Tuesday but nothing back yet....should I try again?

He works Thursday through Monday so that's probably why you haven't received an email back yet. Hopefully you get one back soon! :)

Wanting to do a fancy, fondant Mad Hatter cake for my "unbirthday" in December. Was planning to make my ADR at 1900 PF as I thought my options may be greater going through the GF bakery. However, I've recently read some not so great comments about GF bakery and a lot of rave reviews for CR bakery. Would I be better off booking an ADR somewhere serviced by CR? (And yes, I realize that's a pretty subjective question, but want to know the good, the bad and the ugly before I make my ADR!) Thank you!! :)

Hi all, what a wonderfully helpful thread!! Thanks to everyone for all the pics and tips. I sent an email to CRT about ordering a cake for DD birthday and I got a general email reply that they are currently closed for refurb and their packages are being re-imagined and I should try back closer to my trip :(. How long in advance do these things need to be ordered? For a cake for CRT does it need to be ordered from CRT? I saw someone post the picks of the princesses on top of the cakes, anyone know if they had Elsa/Ana?

TIA!

You can order a custom cake as few as 72 hours beforehand. As far as I know, there is no Anna or Else cake offered yet with that princess cake package. You could try ordering the cake through the Contemporary, which is where it will be made, but they may say you have to work with the Magic Kingdom cakes department.

I'm done a custom cake in the theme parks before (to GREAT success!), but I'm wondering if you can order custom cakes on a disney cruise? is there a similar process, and who would I contact? thanks!

Unfortunately, the ship's facilities are extremely limited when it comes to cake making. Even DCL brides have only 3 choices of cake style, and they're all white! You can order a very basic cake in advance using the form on the DCL website, though. http://dcl1.wdpromedia.com/media/dc...ke Order Form website Final rev 3-19-2014.pdf

Our trip is in June, a month after my brother and his girlfriend graduate college! I want to surprise them with mini cakes at one of our meals. Does anyone have suggestions on a design for a mini cake themed after the Green Aliens from Toy Story? They've always been my brother's favorite:) I'm thinking I'm going to have them made for our reservation at Narcoossee's or Chef Mickey's!

Since they can't do a lot of detail on a mini cake, I'd have it color-blocked from the bottom up in blue, purple and green, and see if they'd put three eyes on top or maybe the little antenna and ears out of fondant. If they say they can't do a representation of the character, you could have them screen print one on a piece of white chocolate and stand it on top of or next to the cake.

Wanting to do a fancy, fondant Mad Hatter cake for my "unbirthday" in December. Was planning to make my ADR at 1900 PF as I thought my options may be greater going through the GF bakery. However, I've recently read some not so great comments about GF bakery and a lot of rave reviews for CR bakery. Would I be better off booking an ADR somewhere serviced by CR? (And yes, I realize that's a pretty subjective question, but want to know the good, the bad and the ugly before I make my ADR!) Thank you!! :)

My experience has always been that the GF is a lot harder to work with than the Contemporary. I always get a lot more "no " than "yes" from the private dining contact there—in terms of flavors, decor, sizes—even when I point out things they've done for wedding cakes (including my own!). So I don't bother anymore — I just work with the Contemporary.

But some people on this thread have reported having wonderful experiences working with the GF private dining contact, so maybe it's a personality thing? A "catch 'em on the right day" thing? I dunno...

Does anyone have pictures of a Wishes cake? I've searched for one and have seen people talk about them, but I'm having trouble finding actual pictures of them. I'd love to do one for DD's bday. Thanks!

Has anyone had a Grumpy cake? That is soooo my DH when it comes to Disney and I plan to surprise next trip with a birthday cake. (I would do a Mr Incredible cake but he has no idea who that character is)

I did a simple Grumpy cake for my dad as a surprise for his birthday in August. It's nothing fancy, but it got the job done and he loved it!

10563420_10152520393700673_1198676389_n.jpg

We are staying at BWV next month for 9 nights. Think I can pop down to the BW Bakery and custom order a cake for a few days later if nothing in the pre-made section appeals to me?

Or if something in the case looks good, will they personalize it with Happy Birthday ____ either on the cake or around the paper plate it sits on?

Thanks!

He works Thursday through Monday so that's probably why you haven't received an email back yet. Hopefully you get one back soon! :)

Thanks i got one yesterday!!! I told my family I got an email from Donald re the cake...my son thought Donald Duck lol:)

I believe I've read reports on this thread of people doing this, but just wanted to confirm....Can I have a custom cake delivered at breakfast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter