• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My DD and I will be at WDW for her 16th birthday in March. We are having dinner on her actual birthday at the Grand Floridian Cafe....she requested a 'nice dinner and someplace we have never been'. She doesn't like fancy food so the cafe seems to tick all the boxes.

I want to surprise her with a cake. Since it's only the 2 of us this trip I thought the mini cake would be perfect but since then I've read a bunch of things that indicate it's only the size of a cupcake. Is it really that small?

I really don't want to spend $35+ for something the size of a cupcake but I think a 6" will be too much. Plus, we are going to MK after dinner for the parade and Wishes. Carrying leftover cake is just not going to happen.

A two-tier minicake is bigger than a cupcake and has so much rich frosting and filling that it will be plenty for 2 people. :thumbsup2

My DD and I will be at WDW for her 16th birthday in March. We are having dinner on her actual birthday at the Grand Floridian Cafe....she requested a 'nice dinner and someplace we have never been'. She doesn't like fancy food so the cafe seems to tick all the boxes.

I want to surprise her with a cake. Since it's only the 2 of us this trip I thought the mini cake would be perfect but since then I've read a bunch of things that indicate it's only the size of a cupcake. Is it really that small?

I really don't want to spend $35+ for something the size of a cupcake but I think a 6" will be too much. Plus, we are going to MK after dinner for the parade and Wishes. Carrying leftover cake is just not going to happen.

I've found that the mini cakes from the Grand Floridian are smaller than the ones at the Contemporary. When I got my first mini cake from the Contemporary I was REALLY surprised at how big it was! I've gotten two from the Contemporary and both were a lot bigger than the mini cakes I've ordered from the Grand Floridian. :)

I honestly would recommend ordering the mini cake from the Contemporary. Maybe go to dinner somewhere that the Contemporary can make the cakes for? (maybe the California Grill?) They taste SOOOO much better and are a lot bigger. Brian from the Contemporary does an amazing job on the mini cakes and my mom just surprised me with an amazing mini cake from the CR. Vanilla cake filled with peanut butter mousse and frosted with chocolate buttercream! Wow was it good! The best mini cake I've had!! :hyper: We were staying at the Wilderness Lodge and had it delivered there. My mom also said that Brian was so easy to work with and was incredibly nice!

I've never been impressed with the taste of the mini cakes from the Grand Floridian (they taste kind of stale) and my name is always spelled wrong on the plate lol. You won't get to choose from many flavors from the GF: just chocolate cake or vanilla cake and filled with chocolate mousse, white chocolate mousse or cheesecake filling.

I've found that the mini cakes from the Grand Floridian are smaller than the ones at the Contemporary. When I got my first mini cake from the Contemporary I was REALLY surprised at how big it was! I've gotten two from the Contemporary and both were a lot bigger than the mini cakes I've ordered from the Grand Floridian. :)

That's interesting... I've had 2-tier mini cakes from both the Grand Floridian and the Contemporary and they were the same size. :confused3 I do agree that the Contemporary is SO much easier to work with, gives you way more flavor options, and usually charges less than the GF.

That's interesting... I've had 2-tier mini cakes from both the Grand Floridian and the Contemporary and they were the same size. :confused3 I do agree that the Contemporary is SO much easier to work with, gives you way more flavor options, and usually charges less than the GF.

I noticed that it was the top tiers that seemed a lot smaller on the cakes I got from the Grand Floridian. Last December, I had a Christmas themed one made from the Grand Floridian and they put a flower on the top tier. The flower was bigger than the top tier and the flower was less than 2 inches. (I'm a weirdo and saved the decorations LOL!) :)

Thanks for the input. I would love to go to Cali Grill but I just don't feel like the menu will suit my DD. Plus, I have to be a little budget conscious this time around.

I'm going back and forth with MK cakes, and here is a proposal from their end. I had a Tinkerbell 3D last year, which I loved. I'm not sure how the 2D would look. But here is the description.

We can do an 8” cake iced in yellow fondant with yellow swags on the side and a 2D image of Belle and the beast on top with red roses. The price for this would be $106.

Thanks

What about The Wave? Or somewhere in magic kingdom? The are serviced by Contemporary Bakery

I don't feel like the menu at The Wave will suite my DD. She's not picky but likes simple food. The only place we would try in MK would be Tony's. I'm just really on the fence about going there....it doesn't get the best reviews but the menu would suit.

I don't feel like the menu at The Wave will suite my DD. She's not picky but likes simple food. The only place we would try in MK would be Tony's. I'm just really on the fence about going there....it doesn't get the best reviews but the menu would suit.
FWIW, we loved our meal at Tony's on our October visit. I had read some of the poor reviews as well, and was a little nervous, but the food was fine (nothing spectacular, mind you, but totally edible and quite tasty!) and our service was great.

In the past 7 years we've only missed dining at Tony's once. And would have been happier there than where dined instead (CRT). I'd say if the menu will suit, then try it.

It's our girls' favourite place to eat, and they like plenty of different foods.

I'm going back and forth with MK cakes, and here is a proposal from their end. I had a Tinkerbell 3D last year, which I loved. I'm not sure how the 2D would look. But here is the description.

We can do an 8” cake iced in yellow fondant with yellow swags on the side and a 2D image of Belle and the beast on top with red roses. The price for this would be $106.

Thanks

I think it'll look nice. Personally, I'm not a fan of screen prints stuck on top of cakes, so I'd either skip it altogether or splurge on the white chocolate Belle figure instead.

FWIW, we loved our meal at Tony's on our October visit. I had read some of the poor reviews as well, and was a little nervous, but the food was fine (nothing spectacular, mind you, but totally edible and quite tasty!) and our service was great.

In the past 7 years we've only missed dining at Tony's once. And would have been happier there than where dined instead (CRT). I'd say if the menu will suit, then try it.

It's our girls' favourite place to eat, and they like plenty of different foods.

We have always really liked Tony's as well and wouldn't miss it.

What about the Plaza?

Thank you all! Now you've really got me thinking about changing to Tony's. My DD wants to get dressed up for dinner which was partially why I thought GF cafe would be a good option. Just the whole GF atmosphere is upscale.

I think The Plaza would not be special enough for my DD. The food would be perfect though.

Good heavens....all of this over a cake:faint:

Good Morning!

I haven't been on this thread in forever since we skipped the cake option last trip, but I have a friend who is in DW this week and I'm thinking about surprising her with a cake.

I'm not sure I want to risk sending it to a reservation (unless they would do BOG) because I'd be worried they might move something. But they are staying at the Contemporary so I figured it would be easy to order up a GF mini tiered cake if they still do them.

Just curious when delivering to the room what are the fees associated with that? I thought I recalled a charge or maybe it was just a percentage for tip?

Also, I know I usually pay after we get the cake but should they be able to let me pay for it over the phone since I'm ordering it as a surprise?

TIA!

Heather

Thank you all! Now you've really got me thinking about changing to Tony's. My DD wants to get dressed up for dinner which was partially why I thought GF cafe would be a good option. Just the whole GF atmosphere is upscale. I think The Plaza would not be special enough for my DD. The food would be perfect though. Good heavens....all of this over a cake:faint:
The Plaza would definitely not be fancy enough! :)

Another thing about Tony's, if you request an outside table you could time your meal to watch the parade from there as well.

Hi Everyone,
I've searched many pages here, but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. Hoping for some advice/input! We are going to be celebrating my DD's 5th birthday with dinner at HDD. I think I've read somewhere that it's not the ideal location to have a birthday cake delivered, but since I don't think she'll like the dessert on the menu anyway I'd really like to have a mini-cake delivered if possible. She loves Ariel/Frozen, but was even thinking a simple 'Minnie/b-day' design would work and perhaps be less expensive than a specific princess design or anything elaborate?

Any thoughts or advice?

TIA!! :)

Just wondering does anyone know if they do specialty cakes on Disney Cruises? We got one of the regular birthday cakes but DBF was think of getting a fancy one because we will have a lot of us just celebrating life.

But they are staying at the Contemporary so I figured it would be easy to order up a GF mini tiered cake if they still do them.

If you're ordering for the Contemporary, the Contemporary pastry team makes the cake, not the GF.

Just curious when delivering to the room what are the fees associated with that? I thought I recalled a charge or maybe it was just a percentage for tip?

$3 delivery fee + 18% auto-gratuity

Also, I know I usually pay after we get the cake but should they be able to let me pay for it over the phone since I'm ordering it as a surprise?

You can try, but these often end up billed to the room even when people have specifically requested to pay by CC and given their numbers and everything. :thumbsup2

Hi Everyone,
I've searched many pages here, but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. Hoping for some advice/input! We are going to be celebrating my DD's 5th birthday with dinner at HDD. I think I've read somewhere that it's not the ideal location to have a birthday cake delivered.

HDD is a GREAT place to have a specialty cake delivered because those are made by the Contemporary! I think any of those themes would be nice. You could send your ideas to the pastry team at CR (email in Post#2) and see if they think any of them would be cheaper than the others.

Just wondering does anyone know if they do specialty cakes on Disney Cruises? We got one of the regular birthday cakes but DBF was think of getting a fancy one because we will have a lot of us just celebrating life.

Unfortunately, because they are so limited in what they can do onboard, DCL only offers the standard cakes on that order form you can get off their site. I guess you could see if they'd let you buy one of their wedding cakes, but even those are kept quite simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter