Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lurkyloo, I love the Fozzie cake. Since your DH is a muppets fan I thought you might like to see this one. I made it for my DD's birthday last summer.

Hi, all. I am thinking to order a cake in December again. This trip we are dining at Artist's Point, and it's just dh and me, we're celebrating our 20th anniversary, though, so that definitely deserves cake, right? I am thinking probably a mini cake, though I may go with a 6 inch, but I want something special. Problem is, I haven't got a CLUE what I want it themed, maybe a monorail or Tower of Terror?

So I just got a reply from chef Donald at the contemporary.

They can do an 8inch vanilla cake with strawberry mousse filling "Star Wars themed with a 2d image standing on the top" for $70 or can add black and white marbled fondant and stars to it for $106.

They can't offer the 3d Jedi mickey at this time :-(

Not sure what to do. Don't know whether to go for this or get two of the two tier mini cakes with the mickey heads (one for husband and one for son) done in different colours with different fillings? Apparently contemporary only offer the mickey head decoration on the mini cakes now with no further customisation available?

I really would like a Star Wars theme but there's only 3 of us - on dining plan and I'm wondering about spending $106 on a cake which might be mostly wasted.

I'm so confused about what to do - never thought I'd find it so hard to decide on a cake.

Another thing is - they've told me to order through cake hotline - I thought it was private dining I would call to order a cake to go to contemporary?

Help!!!!

Lurky - I just showed my DH your cake, I didn't say a word, he eyed it suspiciously and said 'is that a hat?' I didn't say anything, about 2 seconds later he went 'oh my god, wocka, wocka!' Definitely a winner :)

Hi, all. I am thinking to order a cake in December again. This trip we are dining at Artist's Point, and it's just dh and me, we're celebrating our 20th anniversary, though, so that definitely deserves cake, right? I am thinking probably a mini cake, though I may go with a 6 inch, but I want something special. Problem is, I haven't got a CLUE what I want it themed, maybe a monorail or Tower of Terror?

Minicakes they can't do a ton of theming on. And often when you ask for a 6-inch with lots of decorations, they make you get an 8-inch. Do you have wedding colors or a favorite team or a place you loved on your honeymoon?

So I just got a reply from chef Donald at the contemporary.

Not sure what to do. Don't know whether to go for this or get two of the two tier mini cakes with the mickey heads (one for husband and one for son) done in different colours with different fillings? Apparently contemporary only offer the mickey head decoration on the mini cakes now with no further customisation available?

I really would like a Star Wars theme but there's only 3 of us - on dining plan and I'm wondering about spending $106 on a cake which might be mostly wasted.

I'm so confused about what to do - never thought I'd find it so hard to decide on a cake.

Another thing is - they've told me to order through cake hotline - I thought it was private dining I would call to order a cake to go to contemporary?

The cake hotline eventually leads you to Private Dining at the Contemporary, it's just a hassle. Use the direct line to Private Dining in Post #2. :thumbsup2

As to the theming, I know they can't do a lot with mini cakes, but if you have a photo of a specific idea, send it to them and see what they say. Another idea might be to bring your own figures (for a minicake, I'd do Star Wars LEGO figures!) and stick them on the cake when you get it.

Lurky - I just showed my DH your cake, I didn't say a word, he eyed it suspiciously and said 'is that a hat?' I didn't say anything, about 2 seconds later he went 'oh my god, wocka, wocka!' Definitely a winner :)

:rotfl2:

The cake hotline eventually leads you to Private Dining at the Contemporary, it's just a hassle. Use the direct line to Private Dining in Post #2. :thumbsup2

As to the theming, I know they can't do a lot with mini cakes, but if you have a photo of a specific idea, send it to them and see what they say. Another idea might be to bring your own figures (for a minicake, I'd do Star Wars LEGO figures!) and stick them on the cake when you get it.

:rotfl2:

Thanks lurkyloo,

I'll call private dining tomorrow.

I don't really have a specific idea - I was kinda hoping they'd give me some ideas. The thing is I've seen some spectacular looking cakes on this thread and some.... not so good. :confused3 Just don't want to end up with something disappointing for that amount of money.

Can't really put my own figures on as it's a surprise and my husband and son tend to stick to me like glue so it would be difficult to pass them over :mad:

Does anyone know what flavours of cake and filling are available for mini cakes at contemporary - is it just the standard vanilla/chocolate combinations or can you get the fruit mousses fairly easily - my son is not keen on chocolate and would prefer a strawberry flavoured filling.

I don't really have a specific idea - I was kinda hoping they'd give me some ideas. The thing is I've seen some spectacular looking cakes on this thread and some.... not so good. :confused3 Just don't want to end up with something disappointing for that amount of money.

.......... Although now I think about it - two mini cakes with custom filling probably wouldn't work out much less??

I don't see a lot of complaints about the Contemporary's cakes, but the very best way to ensure you get what you want is to provide photos. Even if it's just "I don't want this, but I want this level of detail." I'm working on the mini cake photos I took at the bridal showcase—most of them are pretty girly, but maybe when I get those posted there will be some inspiration for you!

Thanks lurkyloo,

So, at what point do I call private dining to place the order?

Do I keep on speaking to chef Donald until we confirm the exact design I want then ring private dining to pay

Or

Do I ring private dining - say I've spoken to chef Donald about a cake and I want to pay then go back to chef Donald and confirm exactly what I want?

Sorry for so many questions I'm just confused about how things work between the two different departments - I don't want anything to get lost in translation if you know what I mean?

Lurkyloo- thank you for all your excellent help/advice on this thread! I'm thinking of ordering a cake for our January trip and was wondering if you could tell me what you paid for your large mini cake( I think you said it was 5 & 3 inches?) and how many you think it will feed please?

Can I order this at the contemporary or should I wait until we are at the GF?

Thank you!

Do I keep on speaking to chef Donald until we confirm the exact design I want then ring private dining to pay

^^ THIS. I know it's totally confusing, but think of it like, say, working with an artist and his business manager. The artist does all the conceptualizing and creation. The business manager finds out how you're going to pay and where the art should be delivered. The exception is that when you ring Private Dining you're not really paying, just giving them a credit card number to hold. You won't be charged til the cake is delivered to you in the room or at the restaurant.

Lurkyloo- thank you for all your excellent help/advice on this thread! I'm thinking of ordering a cake for our January trip and was wondering if you could tell me what you paid for your large mini cake( I think you said it was 5 & 3 inches?) and how many you think it will feed please?

Can I order this at the contemporary or should I wait until we are at the GF?

Thank you!

That cake was dreamed up by Chef Brian at the Contemporary to solve the problem of my wanting a design that could not be executed on a standard mini cake. If you call the GF they will have no idea what you're talking about, unfortunately. If the Private Dining contact is in a good mood, she might try to help you work with the pastry team to create something similar. But usually she seems to steer people toward standard options.

You might do better at the Contemporary. Some of the people who have asked them for one have been told that the size combo is not possible, or that it is but will cost twice what I paid (I paid $75 + tax). So it's kind of a crapshoot, I'm afraid... Let us know what they tell YOU! :teeth:

I've seen some questions lately about Haunted Mansion themed cakes and I
recently got a quote back from Epcot on one (for the restaurants actually served by Disney). I sent in photos from this thread of past Haunted Mansion theme cakes and requested something similar. I did ask if they could do a Halloween/Haunted Mansion version of the Mickey and Minnie anniversary figures, but they responded and said it was a standard figure and would cost $25, but no alterations or versions were available. One thing that did seem contrary to other reports on this thread is that I was told the smallest size that I can order for a custom cake is 10", not 8." Maybe it had something to do with the type of cake that I was requesting, but if that's the reason, I don't know what about this particular cake couldn't be done on a 8." Here were the prices and flavors that I was quoted for aspects of a Haunted Mansion cake:

10" cake: $54

HM wallpaper around the sides $45

Dark roses $15

Bride/groom photo $15

I asked if they had toppers of the ghosts, skeletons, etc but was told they didn't have anything (i felt like I got more "nos" than choices, guess my imagination isn't the limit!). Here were the flavor options that I received:

· Choices of cake are:

o Chocolate

o Vanilla

o Marble

o Red velvet

· Choices of fillings are:

o White buttercream

o Chocolate buttercream

o Dark chocolate mousse

o White chocolate mousse

o Fruit mousse (strawberry)

· Choices of icings are:

o White buttercream

o Chocolate buttercream

o Whip cream

o Dark ganache

o White ganache

I wasn't thrilled about needing a 10" cake since we're a small party, but we're staying at a timeshare so we'll have a full kitchen to store any leftovers. I'm sure we'll somehow manage to handle extra cake! Still deciding on what to do about the decorations (leaning toward the bride/groom portrait over the mickey/minnie figures to stay with the HM/Halloween theme). Selecting all of the above options would put the cake at $129 + tax. Debating if I want to spend that full amount - the wallpaper it's what makes these cakes awesome but $45 was a bit of a surprise! I'm definitely going to do something because we're celebrating a special occasion, but I've got some time to decide. Will post pics of how it turns out after I return. Hope this info helps some fellow Haunted Mansion lovers!

Ok, so I think we are going to have the cake delivered to our room in WL. I'm looking at a 6in fancy fondant cake. Probably christmas theme with reindeer, Santa, snowman etc around it. With mickey and minnie on top of the cake with more christmas decor (I still need more inspiration) it's for our honeymoon! So how do I start? Do I call private dining in WL? Email contemporary (are they making our cakes)? Call WL then email? Sorry for the endless questions!

I've seen some questions lately about Haunted Mansion themed cakes and I
recently got a quote back from Epcot on one (for the restaurants actually served by Disney).

· Choices of fillings are:

o White buttercream

o Chocolate buttercream

o Dark chocolate mousse

o White chocolate mousse

o Fruit mousse (strawberry)

· Choices of icings are:

o White buttercream

o Chocolate buttercream

o Whip cream

o Dark ganache

o White ganache

Thanks for passing along the info. I'm awfully curious to know what flavor "white" is! :rotfl2:

Ok, so I think we are going to have the cake delivered to our room in WL. I'm looking at a 6in fancy fondant cake. Probably christmas theme with reindeer, Santa, snowman etc around it. With mickey and minnie on top of the cake with more christmas decor (I still need more inspiration) it's for our honeymoon! So how do I start? Do I call private dining in WL? Email contemporary (are they making our cakes)? Call WL then email? Sorry for the endless questions!

No, it's OK. WL ordering is more complicated than most other places.

1) Call Private Dining at WL to place your order. Impress upon them that you want a fancy, fondant-covered cake. They will tell you that you need to work directly with the Contemporary on the order.

2) Email the pastry team at the Contemporary your request, explaining that you already talked to PD at Wilderness Lodge, etc. The address is in Post#2 or WL private dining will give it to you.

3) After you and the pastry chef agree on price and design, he will have you call Contemporary PD to place the actual order and put a credit card on file. They will not charge it til the cake is delivered to Wilderness Lodge.

Yes, Step 1 seems gratuitous, but it's the way they want to work it these days... :rolleyes:

Thanks for passing along the info. I'm awfully curious to know what flavor "white" is! :rotfl2:

I laughed at that too! I assume they mean vanilla but I cut/paste right from the e-mail that I received that I received from WDW.

Is this a reasonable price (for disney!) I sent them this picture and asked for a 6" cake like the bottom layer of the cake in the link below. Chocolate cake, vanilla butterbream icing. Nothing else on the cake...I have little Frozen figurines I was going to put on it before they brought it out to the table. They quoted $53 + $8 for an allergy-free cake, so $61. Does that look about right? (this would be at Magic Kingdom - Be Our Guest)

https://www.google.com/search?q=Fro...est.com%2Fpin%2F201113939584314776%2F;474;544

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter