Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone help me. I will be ordering a cake for my sisters birthday in October to be delivered at the contemporary.
How much is the delivery fee, if there is one?
Do you prepay for the cake or pay at dinner?
Thanks.

Well good for you! :confused3

:rotfl2:

Can someone help me. I will be ordering a cake for my sisters birthday in October to be delivered at the contemporary.
How much is the delivery fee, if there is one?
Do you prepay for the cake or pay at dinner?
Thanks.

There is no delivery fee if you have the cake at a restaurant. You give them a credit card when you order the cake, but they put the cake on your dinner bill.

Has anyone ordered a cake for the Illuminations cruise? Would I just call the cake hotline?

TIA,

Jennifer

I thought I read about the TIW discount on the cake but want to confirm that the cake will be billed to us at HDDR and then gets the usual TIW discount and added tip. Is that correct?

We will be using the DDP for the meal itself.

Has anyone ordered a cake for the Illuminations cruise? Would I just call the cake hotline?

You can, but it's easier to call the number for private dining at the Yacht & Beach Club directly. It is in Post #2 of this thread. :thumbsup2

I thought I read about the TIW discount on the cake but want to confirm that the cake will be billed to us at HDDR and then gets the usual TIW discount and added tip. Is that correct?

Yes. :goodvibes

Help would be grateful received.

I would like to arrange a cake for my parents and my mother in laws 60th birthdays, I'm just going to get one cake and have it for them to share (they won't mind, we are having more cakes throughout the trip so don't want to overload on the cake front). I want to do it on our first evening at Sanaa so I know I need to do it through AKL, I want to do an 8 inch custom podium cake, but how custom can I go? I'm looking at the vanilla cake with custard and strawberries with whipped cream on the outside. The second post in this thread says it would be $35 but I don't really understand what kind of cake that would be? I see there are 2 pictures of 8inch cakes , one with flowers and one with like streamers on the edge, are those the only options?

Sorry to sound dim!

Okay so we have our trip planned for February 18th. We are going to be celebrating my birthday! :):banana: On my actually birthday dinner there will be three of us, 4 at most. I am torn between doing a Lilo & Stitch themed cake or a thumper cake. Thumper has always been my favorite character but I am a bit weary of what the cake will look like. I have asked and they will do a Thumper cake but I am not sure what to expect! Does anybody have any advice or pictures of Lilo, Stitch, or Thumper cakes? Also prices. Thank you!!:hyper:

Hello! I was contacted by the Contemporary Fine Dining by email and then by phone. I placed the cake order by phone with the Cake Hotline. They did not take any information from me except for my name, of course, and where I will be staying. She stated that I will be charged for the cake when I pick it up at Trails End Buffet. Should I be worried? :confused3

I want to do an 8 inch custom podium cake, but how custom can I go? I'm looking at the vanilla cake with custard and strawberries with whipped cream on the outside. The second post in this thread says it would be $35 but I don't really understand what kind of cake that would be? I see there are 2 pictures of 8inch cakes , one with flowers and one with like streamers on the edge, are those the only options?

Sorry to sound dim!

No, it's OK - it's a totally confusing process and there are almost no standard options. The pictures you saw are standard options at the Magic Kingdom only. Everyplace else, it's really pastry chef's choice on the decorations unless you specify something.

"Podium cake" refers only to the 6-inch all-chocolate or all-vanilla cakes you can walk up and order on the spot at a restaurant podium. What you want is a custom cake, which has to be ordered 48 hours in advance. They will decorate it in a generic, supermarket style similar to those MK cakes unless you are very specific with what you want. I always find a photo online and send it to them, modifying it if necessary, so they can be absolutely certain what I'm after.

Okay so we have our trip planned for February 18th. We are going to be celebrating my birthday! :):banana: On my actually birthday dinner there will be three of us, 4 at most. I am torn between doing a Lilo & Stitch themed cake or a thumper cake. Thumper has always been my favorite character but I am a bit weary of what the cake will look like. I have asked and they will do a Thumper cake but I am not sure what to expect! Does anybody have any advice or pictures of Lilo, Stitch, or Thumper cakes? Also prices. Thank you!!:hyper:

Where are you having the cake delivered? That might help us guess at the level of craftsmanship on your cake. For example, if the Grand Floridian promised you a Thumper cake, it could be really elaborate, whereas if it's Disney's Hollywood Studios, they're just going to slap a screen print on it. By the same token, we can't tell you what your cake is going to cost—only the pastry team making it can tell you for sure. If it's a screenprint on buttercream, it will be cheaper than if it's covered in fondant and has 3-D fondant and chocolate decorations.

My best suggestion for photos is to Google each character and the word "cake"—you will find tons of creative ideas, and if you find one you like, the pastry team may be able to re-create it. :thumbsup2

Hello! I was contacted by the Contemporary Fine Dining by email and then by phone. I placed the cake order by phone with the Cake Hotline. They did not take any information from me except for my name, of course, and where I will be staying. She stated that I will be charged for the cake when I pick it up at Trails End Buffet. Should I be worried? :confused3

I would be! I'd call back and ask them to confirm all the details you specified in your email to the Contemporary. I'd also call back again a day or two before you go.

So Excited! Just got email from Brian at Contemporay saying they could do the cake I requested - a 6", all buttercream, green and yellow for colors, with a cupcake on top and 3D "16" for DS birthday. Quoted $53. It's for Monday at HDDR. We had a cake a couple years back that he had done and it was fantastic but much more elaborate . I am really looking forward to surprising my DS!

I will of course post a back as soon as we get back!

TIA,

Jennifer

We ordered cupcakes from YC private dining and they delivered them to the boat. I asked for fondant decorated Halloween themed devils food cupcakes and let the YC choose the design. They were huge and amazing!

We have ordered a fondant cake from YC and had it delivered to Coral Reef in a previous trip and again let YC decide the details. It was spectacular and well worth it.

The Illuminiations cruise was a wonderful treat and adding the cupcakes for DD's 16th birthday was really a nice added bonus.

Hello everyone!! Just a quick question. If you were on the dining plan, would you still go ahead and order a special cake? The thing is, we get the desserts included, but I would love something a little extra special but dont want to over do it!! It is just DH and me by the way so its not like I could order a sheet cake lol!! What are your thoughts on this??

We had this same problem last trip for DD's 16th's birthday. We ate at Cape May and then took an Illuminations cruise and wanted something special. We had YC make fondant cupcakes with Halloween style decorations. They were huge and amazing. I just let YC decide on the decorations and I was very, very happy.

Check out this (non-Disney) Frozen cake the Disney Food Blog just tweeted!

FrozenCake.jpg

I would be! I'd call back and ask them to confirm all the details you specified in your email to the Contemporary. I'd also call back again a day or two before you go.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Lurkyloo! I called back and they were able to find the order and gave me all the info! I will call 2-3 days before we leave for DW as well! I'm feeling much better about the order now! :goodvibes

So Excited! Just got email from Brian at Contemporay saying they could do the cake I requested - a 6", all buttercream, green and yellow for colors, with a cupcake on top and 3D "16" for DS birthday. Quoted $53. It's for Monday at HDDR. We had a cake a couple years back that he had done and it was fantastic but much more elaborate . I am really looking forward to surprising my DS!

I will of course post a back as soon as we get back!

This gives me hope that I'll be able to order a cake that doesn't just look "store bought". I'm wanting a standard 6" cake with something very "Disney-fied" but don't care to have fondant or anything elaborate. Well I'd love elaborate but my budget doesn't ;) So I'm hoping to get something similar to what I want for under $40. I'm glad it's free delivery to restaurants! So we could eat breakfast at Cape May and have Y&B deliver the cake there free?

Here is my DD15 Birthday cake. I called the cake order phone number and selected Epcot dinning. We had supper at Garden Grill. I only asked for it to be a mini 2 tear cake with a Frozen theme. It was $35 and was white cake and chocolate filling. Very yummy and the perfect size for 4 after a full dinner.

No, it's OK - it's a totally confusing process and there are almost no standard options. The pictures you saw are standard options at the Magic Kingdom only. Everyplace else, it's really pastry chef's choice on the decorations unless you specify something.

"Podium cake" refers only to the 6-inch all-chocolate or all-vanilla cakes you can walk up and order on the spot at a restaurant podium. What you want is a custom cake, which has to be ordered 48 hours in advance. They will decorate it in a generic, supermarket style similar to those MK cakes unless you are very specific with what you want. I always find a photo online and send it to them, modifying it if necessary, so they can be absolutely certain what I'm after.

Thank you so much for your help! I'll try to find a nice simple cake picture and send it to the team at AKL (I still have a few weeks to go yet as we are at 5 weeks). I really appreciate this thread and your helpful answers! xxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter