Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the past I heard that to get this cake, you must be staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge - is this still true?

We really want to get a cake but would like to actually pick it up instead of having it delivered due to the high delivery fees.

You don't have to be staying there, just dining there! We ordered it years ago and had it served at Sanaa, though, originally they were going to let us pick it up at the Mara where we were going to just order coffees for everyone in our party and enjoy it there. Also, it was mentioned that perhaps another resort bakery could copy it/make it for you. I am not sure that another resort would have the African Amarula liquor that is used for the mousse filling (at least that's the way it used to be made). I sure wouldn't want it made any other way as that Amarula mousse was the best part of the cake!

You don't have to be staying there, just dining there! We ordered it years ago and had it served at Sanaa, though, originally they were going to let us pick it up at the Mara where we were going to just order coffees for everyone in our party and enjoy it there. Also, it was mentioned that perhaps another resort bakery could copy it/make it for you. I am not sure that another resort would have the African Amarula liquor that is used for the mousse filling (at least that's the way it used to be made). I sure wouldn't want it made any other way as that Amarula mousse was the best part of the cake!

I had no idea (as stated above) that you don't pay a delivery fee if the cake is delivered to a restaurant at the resort! I really would like a custom cake because I've heard the taste is better but our budget is under $50, so this cake would be a great compromise! I may just need to to try the zebra domes first before we order though ;)

I had no idea (as stated above) that you don't pay a delivery fee if the cake is delivered to a restaurant at the resort! I really would like a custom cake because I've heard the taste is better but our budget is under $50, so this cake would be a great compromise! I may just need to to try the zebra domes first before we order though ;)

As far as trying the zebra domes first...I know a lot of people say the cake and the zebra domes are similar. I am not the world's hugest fan of the zebra domes (though, I have been eating them for years). I am however, a HUGE fan of that cake...so, I am not sure what that says about the similarities between the two desserts! I guess what I'm trying to say is that just because you love the domes doesn't mean you'll love the cake and, conversely, just because you're NOT a fan of the domes doesn't mean you'll dislike the cake!

As far as trying the zebra domes first...I know a lot of people say the cake and the zebra domes are similar. I am not the world's hugest fan of the zebra domes (though, I have been eating them for years). I am however, a HUGE fan of that cake...so, I am not sure what that says about the similarities between the two desserts! I guess what I'm trying to say is that just because you love the domes doesn't mean you'll love the cake and, conversely, just because you're NOT a fan of the domes doesn't mean you'll dislike the cake!

Is the coffee flavor in the cake strong? My dad hates coffee (even the smell of it!) and there would only be 3 of us eating the cake so I doubt he would want to spend nearly $50 for as cake he couldn't eat

Has anyone ever had a cake at DHS (Sci-Fi) or one of the All-Stars? Unfortunately those are my only two options, as we're taking a very short trip with only one TS meal. Just wondering if there is a difference in quality, delivery charges, etc.

Thanks!

Hmmm… I hadn't thought about delivery charges. We are staying at BWV so our cake would come from the Boardwalk Bakery. Does anyone know the approximate delivery charge for a cake delivered to the room? Also, do they charge tax (of course… but what rate?) and gratuity if the cake is delivered to the resort room?

:cheer2:

I ordered our cake for the baby shower we'll be having a Kouzzina! The woman I spoke to at Boardwalk was very helpful! It's an 8" fondant covered cake and I'm trusting the chef with the decorations. I did ask for lavendar/purple fondanat, gender neutral, and fondant cutouts.

Can't wait!

Is the coffee flavor in the cake strong? My dad hates coffee (even the smell of it!) and there would only be 3 of us eating the cake so I doubt he would want to spend nearly $50 for as cake he couldn't eat

You can have them make the Zebra cake with chocolate or vanilla mousse or buttercream frosting inside instead of the Amarula mousse.

Has anyone ever had a cake at DHS (Sci-Fi) or one of the All-Stars? Unfortunately those are my only two options, as we're taking a very short trip with only one TS meal. Just wondering if there is a difference in quality, delivery charges, etc.

Neither of them really has the capacity to do fancy cakes. I give DHS a slight edge because they pulled off a fondant-covered cake for the private event we did there, but from what I've been told by their regular cake-ordering hotline they only do the standard, supermarket-style cakes with screen prints. There are no delivery charges at either location, and all Disney cakes are made from the same recipes, so the taste is about the same.

Hmmm… I hadn't thought about delivery charges. We are staying at BWV so our cake would come from the Boardwalk Bakery. Does anyone know the approximate delivery charge for a cake delivered to the room? Also, do they charge tax (of course… but what rate?) and gratuity if the cake is delivered to the resort room?

All Deluxe resorts charge a $3.00 delivery fee, 6.5% tax and 18% service charge.

We were at the world celebrating my son's 1st birthday on August 6. We were staying at Bay Lake Tower.
I emailed the Contemporary with an inspiration photo. I told them I only wanted one layer, an 8-inch cake, with red fondant, mickey ear fondant going around and the mickey ears on the top. We asked for white cake with white buttercream filling.
Someone from private dining called me the next day and confirmed everything.

Here is my inspiration cake:
d7ae99199795aee6be8c90c293202178_zps02a48ae3.jpg

Here is the cake:
Cake1_zpse56d98e8.jpeg

Cake2_zps6e291e38.jpeg

The mickey ears was actually molded chocolate. We did not eat that, but it took us four days to eat the cake. The cake was moist and very good.

The cake itself was $110, but after tip, delivery fee, and so on, the total cost was $140.15. For his 1st birthday, it was absolutely worth it!

Hi, I'm hoping someone here can help me with ordering a cake for our next trip. We were married in EPCOT and are going back for our 5 year anniversary with our two children. I was wanting to surprise my husband and get a small version of our wedding cake, not design but flavor. We had almond cake and amaretto mousse from the grand Floridian bakery. It was and still is the best cake that we have ever had! We would probably just need the smallest size they could make, since it's just the 4 of us. I'm not picky on where or when we get it. I'd just be happy being able to get it at all during our trip. With that said, I guess first question is can I even get these flavors with a smaller cake? Second, where can I order it? I'm staying at the Caribbean. We are eating at CRT, be our guest, crystal palace, via napoli(that's where we are eating on our actual anniversary since that's where we had our ceremony), coral reef, mama melroses, chef mickeys and tusker house. Would it be possible at any of these locations? Thanks so much for the help!

Maybe someone else has a better idea...

Years ago, I had a Birthday cake delivered in our room and waiting for us when we returned to from the parks. I was hoping to surprise my wife next week when we are there for our 20 year anniversary but the cake line pushed me through to Olivia's and they told me they no longer deliver to the room, I would have to pick it up at Olivia's. Not that's it's a huge deal but it does somewhat ruin the element of surprise.

Any ideas on how I could still pull this off?

Thanks all!

-Cptn

We were at the world celebrating my son's 1st birthday on August 6. We were staying at Bay Lake Tower.
I emailed the Contemporary with an inspiration photo. I told them I only wanted one layer, an 8-inch cake, with red fondant, mickey ear fondant going around and the mickey ears on the top. We asked for white cake with white buttercream filling.
Someone from private dining called me the next day and confirmed everything.

Here is my inspiration cake:
d7ae99199795aee6be8c90c293202178_zps02a48ae3.jpg

Here is the cake:
Cake1_zpse56d98e8.jpeg

Cake2_zps6e291e38.jpeg

The mickey ears was actually molded chocolate. We did not eat that, but it took us four days to eat the cake. The cake was moist and very good.

The cake itself was $110, but after tip, delivery fee, and so on, the total cost was $140.15. For his 1st birthday, it was absolutely worth it!

That is absolutely adorable!! And I think I like their design even more than the picture!

Years ago, I had a Birthday cake delivered in our room and waiting for us when we returned to from the parks. I was hoping to surprise my wife next week when we are there for our 20 year anniversary but the cake line pushed me through to Olivia's and they told me they no longer deliver to the room, I would have to pick it up at Olivia's. Not that's it's a huge deal but it does somewhat ruin the element of surprise.

Thanks all!

-Cptn
We just had a cake that we picked up at Olivia's for our dd's birthday. My dh just went to Olivia's and brought it back to the room and surprised our daughter.

Can you sneak out by saying your going to the "store" or going to refill your mug... just think of any excuse to go to the front desk area and pick up the cake instead, that's what we did. If your wife insist on going with you go out by the tables by the outside dining.. have her sit down and excuse yourself to go the "restroom" and come back with the cake instead. Or you can always eat at Olivia's and they will bring the cake to your table! :)

Hi! Has anyone ordered a cake for dinner at Beaches & Cream? Suggestions on the best way to do this? Thank you!

Hi! Has anyone ordered a cake for dinner at Beaches & Cream? Suggestions on the best way to do this? Thank you!

Call Beach Club Private Dining. The number is in Post #2 of this thread. :thumbsup2

I guess first question is can I even get these flavors with a smaller cake?

It depends on the location. Your best bet is someplace serviced by a Deluxe Resort (see post #2).

Second, where can I order it? I'm staying at the Caribbean. We are eating at CRT, be our guest, crystal palace, via napoli(that's where we are eating on our actual anniversary since that's where we had our ceremony), coral reef, mama melroses, chef mickeys and tusker house. Would it be possible at any of these locations? Thanks so much for the help!

The first three are serviced by the Contemporary but you have to get past the Magic Kingdom cake department first if you want anything out of the ordinary. After a few emails back and forth they'll get the picture that you want something besides their standard cakes and let you work directly with the Contemporary.

Via Napoli only offers a few kinds of cakes and nothing custom. Coral Reef is serviced by Epcot's pastry team so you can get something custom there. I'd skip the restaurants at DHS and AK—the options are extremely limited. Chef Mickey's is the Contemporary again, and a bit easier because you can call them directly. Numbers are in Post #2.

I emailed the Contemporary with an inspiration photo. I told them I only wanted one layer, an 8-inch cake, with red fondant, mickey ear fondant going around and the mickey ears on the top. We asked for white cake with white buttercream filling!

Thanks for posting!

Thanks all!

-Cptn

We had a similar situation at French Quarter in March, I had ordered a cake for a surprise for my mom and they would only deliver it to the food court. I snuck away for a bit, went to the food court and picked up the cake and then took it to bell services. When I had a minute to myself back in the room, I called to have them deliver the cake. It cost me the tip to bell services and a little bit or running around, but to me it was worth it to have the surprise of the cake being delivered to the room. Hope this helps!

I would like to do a cake for DS turning 16 at HDDR. This trip it is only 4 of us. Have done 10 in , fondant ...a while back but had a bigger party size.

I want a buttercream cake(no fondant) but custom colors, green, and a cutome topper. Most likely a big "16" type of thing.

Will I have to do a 10 inch for this? Anyone have exp at HDDR with a custom cake order? We go in 2 weeks so I need to get an order in soon I am guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter