Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! We just got back from our Disney trip and had an amazing time. We celebrated my birthday while we were there. Since we stayed at the Yacht and Beach Club we ordered our cake from there. I requested a Stitch themed cake and this is what they gave us. It cost around $80. It was unbelievable! Best cake that I ever had. It was chocolate with chocolate buttercream. The icing was DELICIOUS! Worth every penny!
photostream

Dang! For some reason I can't see the photos, but I'm dying to!

We are planning a trip in November for my daughter's 5th birthday and her first Disney Trip. I want to order a cake, but I am not sure if we should have it delivered to the room at All Star Movies, or if we should get it at a restaurant. We plan on going to BBB on her birthday and hopefully CRT of 1900 Park Fare. Any suggestions would be great since I haven't been to Disney in 10 years and have never had to plan anything!

To me, room delivery is the easiest way to do it, because then you don't have to lug the cake around and worry about it. And at the All-Stars there's no Private Dining (but they still have a way to deliver the cake to your room) so there's no extra fee. The phone number for All Star Movies is 407-939-4091 and the pricing and options are all listed under "BoardWalk Inn" in Post #2 of this thread. (BWI makes the cake but you have to place the order through All-Star Movies.) It helps if you have a photo of what you want to send in but the chefs also like it if you give them an idea or a theme to run with.

My understanding is that MK cakes ALWAYS come back with the generic options and if you push back and insist on a custom cake and ask to work with a pastry chef they will do what you want.

This was my exact experience. I knew they did more custom cakes and tried to make it clear that I was looking for a custom cake right off the bat and they responded with their generic cake offerings and I had to be more clear in saying specifically what I was looking for and they went back and forth with the bakery and got me a quote on what I was looking for.

we were able to get wegoshop to stop at Publix and pick up a cake that I ordered... I went online and checked out the Publix store - I checked the "decadant desserts" and got a Chocolate Ganache Supreme cake! absolutely delicious!

found it
http://ww2.publix.com/food/catalog/Bakery/DecadentDesserts/Home.do

so we had it delivered to our resort, not a restaurant - but you can get paper plates and forks at the resort restaurants for your room, and the rooms have refrigerators in them... it was worth it for us!

Thanks, I believe we will have a rental car so I could have my sister go pick it up!

Hi Lurkyloo, I just wanted to give you an update for your first post .... I ordered a cake from DHS today. In the past the screen was no charge, but now it is an additional $15 for a screen similar to the other locations. Also, I don't know if it was a mistake but she offered me the same cake/filling/icing selections for an 8-inch as you have listed for a 10-inch. I went with simple choc/choc/choc 8-inch with a screen $55 ($40 plus $15 for screen).

I was also impressed that she pulled up my reservation on her computer & had all the details at her fingertips. In the past I felt i was gambling with handwritten notes at the other end! I had a wonderful experience with DHS years ago, and with the Contemporary in 2012 -- but last year they lost my order at GF & I was stuck with the podium cake! :sad2:

Hello :flower3:
I would like to know if anyone has been able to order the Cinderella Slipper and has been lucky enough to have it delivered to their room?.We are staying at OKW and I would love to surprise my girls with one each,who will be bridesmaids for our vow renewal(an unbeknown vow renewal for them and my husband).I have read the first post and I know it says certain restaurants only,but just wondering if anyone has been lucky?.
Also am wanting the basic 6inch cake delivered to the room(is there a delivery charge?) with a message piped along the bottom,i plan to bring a cake topper with me,who would I give this to so that it is already on the cake in our room when we return from the chapel?.Or is it something I will have to put on myself,of course it would be better if it was already on there.

OR....
If this wont be the case,we have a breakfast booked for Olivia's that morning,would they deliver the Cinderella Slippers to there?,possibly the celebration cake as well and would someone in Olivia's put the topper in place before bringing it out?.

TIA.x.

I'm so excited for my cake! I called the private dining line yesterday, no wait at all! The first person was lovely and her name was Marie I think. When I said the cake was 10 inch she put me on hold for a minute. After I described the fillings and started in on the decorations she put me on hold again. A different person came back and told me i would finish the order with her. I mentioned having emailed Brian and Donald and she said she would put in the description to refer back to emails. She asked if I'd sent any photos and told me she would mention those as well. When I said the filling should be peanut butter buttercream not mousse she said no problem. They were great about everything. I went with the 10 inch Splash Montain cake for $120 since it was only $14 more and feeds twice as many. Our family loves cake and we're getting it at the beginning of the trip so we definitely want extra. We're picking it up at the Wave and will bring it back to our 2bdrm at BLT. I'll post pictures when we get back. Thanks to all who replied and helped and everyone for posting here on this thread to give me ideas!

Ok can someone help with a dopey cake question...

When the chef says "a 2D image of the character standing next to the cake"... What does that mean?

Ok can someone help with a dopey cake question...

When the chef says "a 2D image of the character standing next to the cake"... What does that mean?

They take your image and make a screen print of it on white chocolate. Sometimes they are put on top of the cake and sometimes propped up next to it. They are lots of examples in photos throughout the thread. It's all edible. There is another option of getting a 3d image or statue of certain characters in white chocolate and you can also have them painted for an additional fee. I think the first post lists the statues available.

Hello :flower3:
I would like to know if anyone has been able to order the Cinderella Slipper and has been lucky enough to have it delivered to their room?.We are staying at OKW and I would love to surprise my girls with one each,who will be bridesmaids for our vow renewal(an unbeknown vow renewal for them and my husband).I have read the first post and I know it says certain restaurants only,but just wondering if anyone has been lucky?.

The trouble with the Cinderella slipper is that it doesn't travel well (they had to make 4 of them for our wedding menu-tasting in case some broke on the way to the BoardWalk Conference Center). But it never hurts to ask, so definitely call the number for OKW.

Also am wanting the basic 6inch cake delivered to the room(is there a delivery charge?) with a message piped along the bottom,i plan to bring a cake topper with me,who would I give this to so that it is already on the cake in our room when we return from the chapel?.Or is it something I will have to put on myself,of course it would be better if it was already on there.

Again, you can ask, but generally when you bring your own topper, you have to put it on the cake. It's best to call them.

I'm so excited for my cake! II went with the 10 inch Splash Montain cake for $120 since it was only $14 more and feeds twice as many. Our family loves cake and we're getting it at the beginning of the trip so we definitely want extra. We're picking it up at the Wave and will bring it back to our 2bdrm at BLT. I'll post pictures when we get back. Thanks to all who replied and helped and everyone for posting here on this thread to give me ideas!

Can't wait to see it!

On Saturday I attended Disney's Fairy Tale Weddings Bridal Showcase and shot a bunch of photos of the cakes for you. Unfortunately, there were a lot of repeat fake cakes from the last showcase, so you've seen most of these before. Also, they seemed to be going more for "classy" than fun Disney-themed cakes, so there may not be a lot of inspiration here for you guys.

I'll do a separate post with the mini cakes and the white chocolate characters.

The big news from the pastry chefs was that the unified cake-ordering website they'd told me about at the last showcase—which was supposed to be a one-stop shop for ordering cakes at Disney and include photos of all the options—has fizzled out, probably because it would require so many different departments to be on the same page. :( So I'll keep on putting everything I can find out about cakes at WDW into this thread and my permanent cake page for you guys!

IMG_6286.jpg

IMG_6288.jpg

IMG_6292.jpg

IMG_6298.jpg

IMG_6560.jpg

IMG_6294.jpg

IMG_6295.jpg

IMG_6297.jpg

IMG_6303.jpg

IMG_6304.jpg

IMG_6306.jpg

IMG_6309.jpg

IMG_6310.jpg

IMG_6546.jpg

IMG_6311.jpg

IMG_6312.jpg

IMG_6313.jpg

IMG_6544.jpg

Here are some pro shots of that cake at an actual Disney wedding...

JL%2064.png

JL%2066.png

JL%2067.png

IMG_6314.jpg

IMG_6316.jpg

Projection-Mapping Wedding Cake
IMG_6352.jpg

Your 2015 Grand Floridian Pastry Team!

IMG_6555.jpg

I would like to get a cake for my DH's 60th birthday in October. Does anyone know if they can do a firefighter Mickey on a cake?

Forgive me if the answer is somewhere here. This thread is so very long. How do I go about ordering a cake for dinner at Wilderness Lodge? My DD will be turning the big 1-0 just after our upcoming trip. She asked for her birthday dinner to be at Artist Point and I wanted to have a cake delivered to celebrate. Nothing overly elaborate but I want something nicer than simply a podium cake. I was thinking maybe the Mickey head cake? Any advice?

I would like to get a cake for my DH's 60th birthday in October. Does anyone know if they can do a firefighter Mickey on a cake?

You need to speak to the place that will be making your cake. Only they can tell you which images they have available for a screen print. Use the list of locations in Post #2 to find the correct phone number.

Forgive me if the answer is somewhere here. This thread is so very long. How do I go about ordering a cake for dinner at Wilderness Lodge? My DD will be turning the big 1-0 just after our upcoming trip. She asked for her birthday dinner to be at Artist Point and I wanted to have a cake delivered to celebrate. Nothing overly elaborate but I want something nicer than simply a podium cake. I was thinking maybe the Mickey head cake? Any advice?

All the answers are on Page #1 of this thread. :)

Hope you don't mind me asking this, was the price before taxes and gratuity? This is ideally what I am looking for or a simple mini two tier one in chocolate with buttercream filling and sugar Mickey heads evenly scattered like confetti.
Yes, it was the price before everything added.

We found it very simple, we emailed the contemporary to discuss what I was looking for in a cake, then once we had agreed on it and they quoted the price, I called Wilderness Lodge private dining and placed the order.

Did you click the little picture icon to add it and put [ I M G ] tags around the link? (Without those spaces)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter