Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Ladies! I will try to order the cake the first week of December. Looks like I will be calling the Brown Derby group for a delivery to Sci-Fi, and I haven't seen them mentioned as much as the other cake bakeries, but I am hopeful that all goes well. The cake I want is pretty simple, so I think it should be fine. Thanks again!

View attachment 193292 Here is the 10" cake we had to celebrate dd starting DCP. Had it last Sunday, at Olivia's at OKW. Cost was $96, and was very yummy!

Man - I am changing like the wind! We have added a dinner at Olivia's for an early non-park evening, and now that I have seen goofy4tink's lovely cake she got delivered to Olivia's, that is the route I will follow. So easy, and if we don't finish the cake, we can easily bring it back to our room at OKW. Sometimes, ya don't see the forest for the trees, right? hahaha So we will celebrate our 25th at Olivia's, rather than a park restaurant like I previously planned.

Hello, Just got back from our trip and wanted to share my experience. When I first reached out to the Contemporary (we were staying at the WL) I was looking for a 2 tier mini cake that was Holiday Nightmare themed. I have a cute Jack Skellington I painted to go on top. Haunted Mansion wallpaper on the first tier, and the top to look like a funky Jack Skellington present. No figures or characters - just a couple of pumpkins. Flavors requested: vanilla cake with passion fruit mousse. Here was their response from Brian:

We can do a mini cake with wallpaper on the bottom tier and the top tier iced in purple buttercream with some small pumpkins and skull decorations and the price for this would be $75.

For a mini-cake with no figures??? When I asked if they could do the top in orange and black, they said it would be $5 more - $80. When I asked how much it would be without the pumpkins, they said the same. ??
On a whim, I asked how much the same thing would be for a 6" cake - Haunted Mansion wallpaper, a couple of pumpkins (I would make the present with Jack for the topper), Donald at the Contemporary responded:

A 6” 2 layer cake iced in buttercream decorated similar to the photo you sent in the same flavors you listed before would be $58. If you would like the cake covered in fondant the price would be $64.

$80 for a mini cake, but $64 for a 6" - same flavors and decorations?? Obviously we went with the 6". It did come out nice and it was moist and delicious!! Did seem a bit much at $64 (not incl tip and delivery) but we did enjoy it. The first pic is what they had done (plus a few extra pumpkins and the Jack faces I made). The 4 good pumpkins are theirs, the OK ones are mine. The second pic is what it looked like with my topper - completed.

Cake 1.jpg Cake 2.jpg

Last edited:

Did we ever determine if MK cakes would deliver the princess cupcakes to other MK restaurants besides CRT? (We are dining at BOG.) I'm debating between t
Screen%20Shot%202016-07-30%20at%2011.03.43%20PM_zpsx86ldksy.png
hat and sending this picture in and seeing how much a one tier mini cake would be with a 2D image on top of Lumiere.

$80 for a mini cake, but $64 for a 6" - same flavors and decorations??

Yeah, if you hang around this thread long enough, you learn that Disney charges a lot more for a decorated mini cake than for a decorated 6-inch cake, due to the complexity of working on a smaller scale for the decor, cutting the smaller tier out of a larger cake, and slicing both tiers into a bazillion tiny layers with filling in between each one.

Did we ever determine if MK cakes would deliver the princess cupcakes to other MK restaurants besides CRT? (We are dining at BOG.) I'm debating between t
hat and sending this picture in and seeing how much a one tier mini cake would be with a 2D image on top of Lumiere.

There's no reason why they can't, but it requires persistence on your part to get the people at MK cakes to let you do anything besides their standard cake options. Also, they won't deliver any cakes after December 15, 2016 (we're still waiting to hear what the new-and-improved alternative is that they've promised).

MK Cakes can and will deliver princess cupcakes to other MK restaurants (including BOG). Having a Mulan one delieved to my BOG dinner Saturday for my friend.

My son's birthday is in the middle of our Disney trip. He wants to go to Hoop Dee Doo for his birthday dinner. I know at other restaurants I can order a cake and have it delivered to the restaurant to celebrate but can this be done at Hoop Dee Doo? I'm not sure with it being a show. Thanks!

Depending on where you are having it delivered - we were told they are no longer doing 3D cakes that are being delivered to MK. We just went through this for our DDs birthday at BOG. I think they had too many problems with the cakes getting ruined. I brought stuff to put on the cake and our waiter was happy to put it on the cake for us. Our cake was delicious. Your cake idea is great.

This might be a stupid question but what makes something a 3D cake? They asked me about a 2D image which I now is a flat image but are you saying it needs to be flat to the cake top? or can the 2D image be standing up?

My son's birthday is in the middle of our Disney trip. He wants to go to Hoop Dee Doo for his birthday dinner. I know at other restaurants I can order a cake and have it delivered to the restaurant to celebrate but can this be done at Hoop Dee Doo? I'm not sure with it being a show. Thanks!

Yep! You would work with Contemporary Private Dining via the number/email in Post # 2.

Last edited:
There's no reason why they can't, but it requires persistence on your part to get the people at MK cakes to let you do anything besides their standard cake options. Also, they won't deliver any cakes after December 15, 2016 (we're still waiting to hear what the new-and-improved alternative is that they've promised).

Thanks! I can be persistent! ;)We are going early November so I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row! :bitelip:

MK Cakes can and will deliver princess cupcakes to other MK restaurants (including BOG). Having a Mulan one delieved to my BOG dinner Saturday for my friend.

Awesome! Thank you! I may just go that route since it's a cheaper option, but still something special I can surprise her with. I know she'd be thrilled with either option.

This might be a stupid question but what makes something a 3D cake? They asked me about a 2D image which I now is a flat image but are you saying it needs to be flat to the cake top? or can the 2D image be standing up?

It is not a stupid question - it took me a while to understand what they would or wouldn't do. For me they would not put an image of the castle on top of the cake standing up only attached to the side of the cake. They wouldn't put anything standing up on top of the cake for us.

We were just there and someone had a cake at their table - so yes you can - I am not sure where you order it from though. We love that place. Have fun!

Hello, Just got back from our trip and wanted to share my experience. When I first reached out to the Contemporary (we were staying at the WL) I was looking for a 2 tier mini cake that was Holiday Nightmare themed. I have a cute Jack Skellington I painted to go on top. Haunted Mansion wallpaper on the first tier, and the top to look like a funky Jack Skellington present. No figures or characters - just a couple of pumpkins. Flavors requested: vanilla cake with passion fruit mousse. Here was their response from Brian:

We can do a mini cake with wallpaper on the bottom tier and the top tier iced in purple buttercream with some small pumpkins and skull decorations and the price for this would be $75.

For a mini-cake with no figures??? When I asked if they could do the top in orange and black, they said it would be $5 more - $80. When I asked how much it would be without the pumpkins, they said the same. ??
On a whim, I asked how much the same thing would be for a 6" cake - Haunted Mansion wallpaper, a couple of pumpkins (I would make the present with Jack for the topper), Donald at the Contemporary responded:

A 6” 2 layer cake iced in buttercream decorated similar to the photo you sent in the same flavors you listed before would be $58. If you would like the cake covered in fondant the price would be $64.

$80 for a mini cake, but $64 for a 6" - same flavors and decorations?? Obviously we went with the 6". It did come out nice and it was moist and delicious!! Did seem a bit much at $64 (not incl tip and delivery) but we did enjoy it. The first pic is what they had done (plus a few extra pumpkins and the Jack faces I made). The 4 good pumpkins are theirs, the OK ones are mine. The second pic is what it looked like with my topper - completed.

View attachment 196023 View attachment 196024

Very nice. One week till our Haunted Mansion cake is delivered.

It is not a stupid question - it took me a while to understand what they would or wouldn't do. For me they would not put an image of the castle on top of the cake standing up only attached to the side of the cake. They wouldn't put anything standing up on top of the cake for us.

Oh ok! Got it! Thanks for explaining! I emailed them back again today because they had to get my image I sent them approved (which I have a feeling the answer will be no). I just asked if I could handle the cake topper and they just do a pan/hook color scheme with light decoratins. Hoping this will be easier and possibly cheaper?

Oh ok! Got it! Thanks for explaining! I emailed them back again today because they had to get my image I sent them approved (which I have a feeling the answer will be no). I just asked if I could handle the cake topper and they just do a pan/hook color scheme with light decoratins. Hoping this will be easier and possibly cheaper?

That is exactly what I did. We had a Wishes themed cake and they put a color picture of the castle on the front with fireworks and Disney balloon icing all over the sides and top. I supplied the firework looking topping. I gave it to the waiter at Be Our Guest and he was happy to put it on the cake. It all worked out. The cake was delicious. Post a picture when you get back.

I ordered the Ariel cake from the Royal Highness package at CRT for our December trip. If you only want the cake the price is $80.

A friend and I are taking our daughters to CRT and want to surprise them each with their own mini-cake. Is it possible to get princess themed mini-cakes at that location? Or only the standard Princess Minnie Mouse, etc? ETA: No reply necessary, MK Cakes was very prompt about returning my email.

Last edited:
Hi all! So I'm having a little Trouble getting peanut butter ganache/frosting filling from the grand flordian. I would like the cake for the wishes cruise that's leaving from GF. Is it possible to order a cake from the contemporary and pick it up the day I need it then bring it on the boat??

Thanks!!

Has anyone ordered a dairy free cake? If so, how was it? What flavors were you able to choose from?

Thanks,
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter