Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me what company makes the podium cakes? Are they available at Bona? Do I just ask for one at check in? Is there an ingredient list somewhere?

Disney makes the podium cakes, and they are available at every Disney-run restaurant on property except Victoria & Albert's. You just ask for them at check in. Complete details on podium cakes can be found in the first post of this thread, except the ingredient list. I only have that for the allergen-free cakes.

Instead of the Star Wars aniversary cake I have another idea. Has anybody ordered a cake with Waldorf & Statler or Kermit & Miss Piggy on top. I was thinking of something with line "Happiely married for 13 Years" ... "How much longer do you have?" Not sure if that makes sense, we are from Germany, so non native speaker. Any idea how to say it correct.

If you just want a screen print, it will depend on the pastry team that creates your cake. When I checked with the Contemporary, the only Muppet screen print they had was of the whole gang. But if you are having the cake delivered elsewhere, perhaps that pastry team will have access to more approved images. You can also try to get an image approved, but it could take several months. Either way, you'll need to contact Private Dining at the resort where you want the cake delivered. The phone numbers are in Post #2 of this thread. :thumbsup2

MY DH's birthday is during our trip. My 5 year old doesn't know we are going to Disney but she has been insisting we have to make daddy a Kermit the Frog cake for his birthday. Is this something that would be possible? We are having supper at the Garden Grill that evening and there are 7 of us (4 adults and 3 kids). I'm thinking a 8" screen printed type cake.

You'll need to contact Epcot's pastry team and find out if they have an image they can use for the screen print. Info is in the 2nd post of this thread. :thumbsup2

Very excited - we just ordered our first Disney Cake for our trip in 2 weeks! We will be celebrating DD 1st birthday. Her name is Alice so we are doing an Alice in Wonderland theme cake - we are working with Pat at the Grand Floridian and so far so good. 6" vanilla cake with dark chocolate mousse filling and pink fondant. I will post a pic when we return - this thread has been so helpful in planning our cake.

Just got back from our trip and here is the cake. I could not be more thrilled with how it came out and it was delicious! We were staying at Poly so we dropped the leftovers in our room after dinner.
image.jpg

I posted a few questions about gluten free cakes a couple of months ago, and I thought I would let everyone know what we got just in case it helped. I will mention I have not kept up with this thread since, so i apologize if this is all old news and not helpful!

We were at the Contemporary, and wanted to get a gluten free cake for my son's 6th birthday delivered to our room on Dec 23. We did stay CL, so i started my emailing the IPO and asking if they could help arrange this. We got a call later that day from someone (I presume from the bakery that serves the CR, my DH took the call) asking what we wanted. Their question to my husband was "how much do you want to spend". 8-) I had thought we couldn't decorate a gluten free cake, but now you can. So we got a small (maybe 6") chocolate GF cake with a huge white chocolate Mickey Mouse as a jedi with a light saber statue on the cake (it was about as large as the cake was) and it said happy birthday. They also sent candles and matches. After we checked in I asked the concierge and he said they had the cake and would deliver it when we wanted, so when we left for dinner i had them set it up in our room while we were gone. It was $60, and worked out well. More than I would expect to spend anywhere else for a small cake for the 4 of us, but I thought well worth it for a kids Christmas Birthday trip to WDW. We were very pleased.

i-CTx7qXv-M.jpg

i-VkQbdf7-M.jpg

These were the two cakes I ordered for delivery at Pop Century. I believe they were each around $38 or so after tax.

Flavors were good, mini cake was a lot prettier than the Inside Out Cake, but, the Inside out one was still cute. There are little Mickey heads around the side that you can't really make out in the photo. If they get more options for the Inside Out characters I'd probably get another one.

The only bad thing is that both cakes were lost. Neither one was successfully delivered. The first was supposed to be delivered for 9 pm, but, I finally gave up waiting for it and called at 10. It was difficult getting the cake back to the room balancing on the stroller as it was just me and my daughter for this trip.

The manager on duty refunded the first cake on Thursday, I didn't ask, he offered. The excuse was that no one on his staff reminded him about the cake delivery. I mentioned to him that I had another one coming on Saturday. So, Saturday rolled around and half an hour after the scheduled time I called to see what was going on and the cake couldn't be found. Fortunately I had a relative who could watch my daughter so I didn't have to do the balance cake on a stroller thing. I walked down to the food court and the manager found the cake and offered to refund again..

I'm kind of annoyed with myself for taking the refund. I really hope that doesn't reflect on the performance of the cake department who did a great job with the cakes. There seemed to be a lot of blame shifting going on. As far as I know, the cake people get the cakes to the resort and then it's up to the resort to deliver them. Ugh, oh well, I'm tempted to drop a line to the woman I worked with to let her know the cakes were great.

Hello everyone - can someone guide me in the right direction please? I am confused!

We will be dining at The Plaza for my dd 10th birthday next month. I submitted my email to the MK cakes email address at the beginning of this thread and they got back to me very quickly. However, I do not see any options for the mini cakes on the order form they provided me. Can I not get a mini cake at this location?

TIA!

Hello everyone - can someone guide me in the right direction please? I am confused!

We will be dining at The Plaza for my dd 10th birthday next month. I submitted my email to the MK cakes email address at the beginning of this thread and they got back to me very quickly. However, I do not see any options for the mini cakes on the order form they provided me. Can I not get a mini cake at this location?

TIA!
Reply to them and ask about the mini cakes and they can assist you with ordering one.

Hi all, I need ideas for a non-WDW cake. I've found a local bakery that says they'll make pretty much any flavor you request. She's got a long list of options, but I guess nothing is out of the realm of possibilities. The cake is for my DS(24) & he's not much of a fan of plain chocolate or vanilla cake. So, if you could order your "dream cake" of flavors (cake, filling, & icing) that would be for adults only, what would you choose? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Does anyone have details on or pics of the ready-to-go birthday cakes they have available at Pop? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that they usually had some available in the food court cooler, but now I can't find any info. We aren't looking for anything fancy or unusual. Just trying to see if they might have something that would work.

Hi all, I need ideas for a non-WDW cake. I've found a local bakery that says they'll make pretty much any flavor you request. She's got a long list of options, but I guess nothing is out of the realm of possibilities. The cake is for my DS(24) & he's not much of a fan of plain chocolate or vanilla cake. So, if you could order your "dream cake" of flavors (cake, filling, & icing) that would be for adults only, what would you choose? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

The first post of this thread has a list of all the flavors available for Disney's Fairy Tale Wedding cakes, if that helps. I'm a chocolate and peanut butter fan, which might not be considered very "adult." Although I can't stand liqueur or fruit fillings in cake, a lot of brides love Disney's Amaretto Crunch Mousse with almond cake or their passionfruit/tropical mousse in vanilla cake. Does your son have a favorite fruit or liqueur flavor?

Does anyone have details on or pics of the ready-to-go birthday cakes they have available at Pop? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that they usually had some available in the food court cooler, but now I can't find any info. We aren't looking for anything fancy or unusual. Just trying to see if they might have something that would work.

It's the same as the info on "podium cakes." Six inches, all-chocolate or all-vanilla, $23. Here are some pix of them at the food court:

IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1541.jpg

Last edited:
I once had cake from Whole Foods that was chocolate cake, filled with chocolate ganache and fresh blueberries. It was then covered with blueberry frosting made from fresh blueberries and chocolate ganache on top of that. SoOOoooo Gooood!

Hi! First time posting, not my first time to Disney :) We are not going until July but I like to plan ahead and I just booked a surprise specialty cruise for the night of my husband's birthday (July 6th) to watch Wishes and wanted to order a Star Wars themed cake to have while we watched the fireworks. I have spent more hours than I should admit on these threads looking at all the amazing cakes and flavor options but when I asked if we could get a peanut butter flavored option for the custom fondant cake we were ordering, she told me only the basic options previously listed could be used. I was quite surprised as I know from on here you can get lots of different flavors. I wanted to check on here and see if anyone had any tips or suggestions to getting the different flavoring.

Last summer we were at Disney for my birthday and my husband went through the cake hotline to order a specialty Ariel cake for my birthday and he was incredibly disappointed from what he asked for to what came out and I just don't want that to be the case. Also, the flavor options she gave are what my husband picked from and the buttercream just tasted bland...

Also, would anyone have any Star Wars themed cakes that they've done? The standard Star Wars one she said would have Darth Vader in the flat image so I asked about getting Jedi Mickey since I'm not a big fan of the flat images....just really nervous that it won't be what I'm expecting/hoping...

Some questions....

but when I asked if we could get a peanut butter flavored option for the custom fondant cake we were ordering, she told me only the basic options previously listed could be used. I was quite surprised as I know from on here you can get lots of different flavors. I wanted to check on here and see if anyone had any tips or suggestions to getting the different flavoring.

Where is your cruise departing from, the Grand Floridian? So I take it you called GF Private DIning? They are notorious for stonewalling folks who want special flavors, even though the GF pastry team can actually make any flavor you can dream up. The Private Dining folks like to tell callers that the pastry team only makes special flavors for wedding cakes, but I've spoken with actual GF pastry chefs on multiple occasions and been told there is no problem with making special flavors for non-wedding cakes. Unfortunately, you have to place your order through Private Dining and can't go directly to the pastry team. So if you can't cajole PD into requesting a special flavor from the pastry team (which some DISers have been able to do) you're stuck. It's super frustrating...

Last summer we were at Disney for my birthday and my husband went through the cake hotline to order a specialty Ariel cake for my birthday and he was incredibly disappointed from what he asked for to what came out and I just don't want that to be the case. Also, the flavor options she gave are what my husband picked from and the buttercream just tasted bland...

Where did you have the cake delivered? The recipes are the same across property, so if you didn't like the buttercream there, you won't like it elsewhere. But I can tell you where to go for a greater chance of getting the design you requested.

I once had cake from Whole Foods that was chocolate cake, filled with chocolate ganache and fresh blueberries. It was then covered with blueberry frosting made from fresh blueberries and chocolate ganache on top of that. SoOOoooo Gooood!

That sounds really good. I didn't even think to check Whole Foods. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely be checking there, before ordering elsewhere.

The first post of this thread has a list of all the flavors available for Disney's Fairy Tale Wedding cakes, if that helps. I'm a chocolate and peanut butter fan, which might not be considered very "adult." Although I can't stand liqueur or fruit fillings in cake, a lot of brides love Disney's Amaretto Crunch Mousse with almond cake or their passionfruit/tropical mousse in vanilla cake. Does your son have a favorite fruit or liqueur flavor?

Thanks for the suggestions. Chocolate & peanut butter is right up my alley too. DS is a pretty healthy eater. Although, no cake is healthy, he'd probably like one with fruit. He also likes coffee. Some type of coffee liqueur flavor would also work. I'll have to see what she's got, if I don't go the WF route.

Thanks for the suggestions. Chocolate & peanut butter is right up my alley too. DS is a pretty healthy eater. Although, no cake is healthy, he'd probably like one with fruit. He also likes coffee. Some type of coffee liqueur flavor would also work. I'll have to see what she's got, if I don't go the WF route.
Yeah Coffee would be awesome if I could get that in my wedding cake. But never mind...
I'm getting Marble with the Amaretto crunch and Lemon cake with Passionfruit Mousse
Hummingbird cake is a lovely flavour.
My friend had a three tier textured buttercream wedding cake with these three flavours...I got Hummingbird and it was AMAZING!
"Ginger and walnut", "Hummingbird" "lemon vanilla"

This is another flavour menu list from the maker of another friend's wedding cake...the possibilities are endless
http://www.simpleingredients.com.au/flavour-menu.html
"Mocha cake with coffee-infused dark chocolate ganache"

That sounds really good. I didn't even think to check Whole Foods. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely be checking there, before ordering elsewhere.

For what it's worth, the one I ordered was also vegan. All those who ate it, that don't normally eat vegan things, thought it was really good too. I've had regular non vegan cakes from WF, as well, and they were also really good. We've had vanilla with vanilla buttercream filled with fresh fruit (berries,pineapple,etc.). I have also seen coffee/mocha/java type cakes in our local store's case. They have been excellent about customizing and will even decorate the top with more than flowers for an additional decorating fee. Well, if you get fruit on top..that hasn't been extra...but things like frosting dinosaurs were a little extra ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter