Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it seemed very reasonable, especially because in the UK the exchange rate is favourable anyway. I think it's because it's not covered in fondant, there's just going to be a few fondant flowers over the chocolate stand and around the outside/edges but nothing major, which is what we wanted anyway really. The picture they sent over of one they'd previously done was very pretty, simple but just right.

AKL were also very easy to work with and responded to me really quickly regarding the order and got it all sorted.

Could you tell me the description you used? We are ordering a cake for next month and your cake sounds great!

I read the first page and the last few pages, but I still have a few questions regarding ordering a gluten free cake. We will be at Disney for my son's 6th birthday (which is also over Christmas), and I would like to order a cake for him. It needs to be gluten free, so from what I gathered it will be either a plain chocolate or plain vanilla cake, which is fine, I'm just happy they have a GF option. I'm not yet sure if we will have it at the CR without an ADR our first night, Ohana our second night, or CM's our third night. I would prefer at one of the restaurants, but it seems silly to order an expensive cake at a buffet meal. So if we go with the CR, do I call the cake hotline or the Contemporary resort number that is in the second post in this thread? Will they deliver it to our room, or how do I do it when it isn't at a TS restaurant? Does anyone have experience with the gluten free cakes - are they good, can you decorate them at all, anything else to add? Also, we are staying club level. Is this something the IPO can arrange for me? Thanks for any help/advice, I've never considered this before but we've never been away for Christmas or his birthday before, so I thought it would be neat.

Hello. I have a question about ordering cakes from the Yacht Club resort. Should I change our dinner reservation to a restaurant at the Contemporary or the Grand Floridian our first night to be safe? Mainly I've noticed some of you have had issues with communication with the Yacht Club bakery staff concerning your cakes. My brothers are tuning 17 and my mom is having a birthday in December also. I just want all of their cakes to be done correctly.

This trip will be my family's first trip to Walt Disney World. We're staying at the Yacht Club resort. We made our dining reservation that first night at the Yachtsman Steakhouse because we're worried about getting lost or getting to a reservation too late if our plane isn't on time. My problem is that I've noticed some of you have had trouble when ordering cakes from the Yacht/Beach Club resorts bakery. It's making me nervous because this trip is special and we may not ever return to Disney World. We've been dreaming of going to Disney World for over 20 years. Thank you for taking the time to read this. :)

My sister ordered a cake from Yacht Club that will be delivered Sunday. So far communications have been great and very easy. I'm sure she'll post the cake here afterwards.

Has anyone else struggled with placing an order for the Grand Floridian cakes?

I just ordered a cake yesterday from the Grand Floridian. I called on Monday not realizing it was Pat's day off, but I left a message and never got a call back. So, I called again yesterday and she answered and took my order. She is a very fast talker and I had to ask her to repeat things a couple of times. What kind of struggles are you having?

Confirmed my order with the Grand Floridian on Tuesday for our cake - since our "date night" meal on our trip is Narcoossee's I thought going through the Grand would be the easiest on our trip. I originally asked for a 2 tier mini cake in almond with amaretto mousse (one of our wedding cake flavors) and whoever I spoke with said they weren't able to do almond cake in the mini cake form (which of course we know isn't true!) She said I could have almond cake if we upgraded to a 6-inch, which DH will be thrilled about, as the more cake the better in his eyes! The cost came to $23 as we went with a buttercream outside versus fondant and will be added to our meal bill (which I think means we can get our TIW discount on it!)

I'll post back after our meal :)

I read the first page and the last few pages, but I still have a few questions regarding ordering a gluten free cake. We will be at Disney for my son's 6th birthday (which is also over Christmas), and I would like to order a cake for him. It needs to be gluten free, so from what I gathered it will be either a plain chocolate or plain vanilla cake, which is fine, I'm just happy they have a GF option. I'm not yet sure if we will have it at the CR without an ADR our first night, Ohana our second night, or CM's our third night. I would prefer at one of the restaurants, but it seems silly to order an expensive cake at a buffet meal. So if we go with the CR, do I call the cake hotline or the Contemporary resort number that is in the second post in this thread? Will they deliver it to our room, or how do I do it when it isn't at a TS restaurant? Does anyone have experience with the gluten free cakes - are they good, can you decorate them at all, anything else to add? Also, we are staying club level. Is this something the IPO can arrange for me? Thanks for any help/advice, I've never considered this before but we've never been away for Christmas or his birthday before, so I thought it would be neat.

When we stayed Club level at BC we had to do our own cake order as they didn't handle it. They just gave me the contact info to do it ourselves. We had a gluten free mini cake for our anniversary that trip. It was made by the Contemporary bakery for delivery at the Plaza. I tend to agree with you that I wouldn't normally go with a cake at a buffet with lots of dessert options, however, the last couple times we were at CM I didn't really care for any of the desserts. I'm not sure though what their GF dessert options were as the last time we went I was eating wheat again but overall their desserts did not impress me at all. If we dined here again I would consider it a good option for a custom cake.

The cake itself was decent. The frosting was delicious as usual but it's not a fabulous GF cake as far as options for GF go these days. This was a couple years ago now but at that time I was told they used Namaste GF cake mix. Not sure if that's changed or not.

View attachment 113971
This is the cake I had delivered to POP!, it was a chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream frosting and had chocolate mousse/fresh stawberry filling. The cost was $45 and it was delicious.

Love the cake! I'm hoping to have a cake delivered to Pop too. How far in advantage did you place your order? Was there a email or did you have to call. Thanks so much!

Love the cake! I'm hoping to have a cake delivered to Pop too. How far in advantage did you place your order? Was there a email or did you have to call. Thanks so much!

I called about a week and a half in advance. I called the number for Pop that is listed in the 1st post and the CM was super helpful. She made the ordering process really easy and let me set up a good time for us for it to be delivered. I had it delivered to our room while we were at the parks, they will deliver from 8 am to 8 pm.

I called about a week and a half in advance. I called the number for Pop that is listed in the 1st post and the CM was super helpful. She made the ordering process really easy and let me set up a good time for us for it to be delivered. I had it delivered to our room while we were at the parks, they will deliver from 8 am to 8 pm.

Just called last night, traveling towards the end of August and had a similar experience. Very easy and the person I talked to was super nice.

I asked when I ordered mine, and was told they provide plates/forks. Did they ask you how many people you are serving?? If not, make sure you call back and have the # of people noted since they told me there would be an additional charge if we have to call down and have extras delivered.

I might just take my own then, they're really cheap to pick up but if I change my mind I will email them back and just note it's 8 people etc.

I just ordered a cake yesterday from the Grand Floridian. I called on Monday not realizing it was Pat's day off, but I left a message and never got a call back. So, I called again yesterday and she answered and took my order. She is a very fast talker and I had to ask her to repeat things a couple of times. What kind of struggles are you having?

Return phone calls or emails. Maybe it is b/c our trip isn't in the new few weeks?

I am so excited. Thanks to you all here and all the wonderful info I was able to email with Chef Brian at the Contemporary about ordering a cake for our son's birthday meal at Chef Mickey on his birthday day on his make a wish trip. I gave him my budget and he said he can do this cake for us for $59.

It's so PERFECT. I can't wait to see his face, he will be 4. :)

View attachment 113971
This is the cake I had delivered to POP!, it was a chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream frosting and had chocolate mousse/fresh stawberry filling. The cost was $45 and it was delicious.

Ooooo -- I LOVE this cake! And it would be a great way to celebrate DS's bday (which is actually two days after we leave WDW) and my parent's first trip! May steal this idea :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter