Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re mini cake enough for 2. My sister and I split a mini cake and had plenty for dinner dessert and leftover for breakfast the next day.

Anyone have any experience ordering anything other than a standard cake at HS? First post states that fancy, fondant cakes "may" be available through HBD, but didn't know if I needed to be dining at that specific restaurant?

Here's my dilemma - we are planning to be in HS on DD's actual birthday, having a "Frozen" day (makeover, FSAL, FSF fireworks), so I was thinking about a mini cake, blue with snowflake designs, something simple (it will be just her and I, and maybe my sister and her daughter).

But the next day we have lunch at CRT, and I figured I'd have better luck getting what I wanted there. Plus, that's a way more festive setting, and the princesses would probably make her feel super special. I just really would rather do something on her actual birthday if possible. Just wondered what others' experiences have been at HS before I start on a potential wild goose chase. We will be dining at 50's Prime Time Cafe. Thanks for any info.

OK, so the deal with DHS is the pastry team there usually can only do very basic supermarket-style cakes. HOWEVER, I called a few months ago and was told by the manager of the Brown Derby that the pastry team works in the same building and if I wanted something fancy and covered in fondant, they could do it if I worked through him. And he even said I didn't actually have to be dining at the Derby. So.... you can try calling the Brown Derby Group Dining line and asking for the manager - I believe his name is Mr. Oriol (if he's even still working there): 1-407-560-5377

OK, so the deal with DHS is the pastry team there usually can only do very basic supermarket-style cakes. HOWEVER, I called a few months ago and was told by the manager of the Brown Derby that the pastry team works in the same building and if I wanted something fancy and covered in fondant, they could do it if I worked through him. And he even said I didn't actually have to be dining at the Derby. So.... you can try calling the Brown Derby Group Dining line and asking for the manager - I believe his name is Mr. Oriol (if he's even still working there): 1-407-560-5377
Thank you!

Ordered a 8" round Chocolate with Butter Cream frosting and Pirate Mickey 2D image for my Uncles birthday. Anyone have an image of the 2d Pirate Mickey? Just wondering what to expect.

$76
ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE
July 17, 2015
Single layer fondant 8 inch cake Frozen themed with Elsa
vanilla cake, dark chocolate mousse

My daughter wanted her birthday dinner at Sanna. I ordered the cake 10 days before using the number at the top of the thread. Spoke with Virginia, she gave me an estimate and the called back the next day with a final price. It's a beautiful cake and we are still trying to finish!
20150717_202319.jpg 20150717_202120.jpg 20150717_203617.jpg

$76
ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE
July 17, 2015
Single layer fondant 8 inch cake Frozen themed with Elsa
vanilla cake, dark chocolate mousse

My daughter wanted her birthday dinner at Sanna. I ordered the cake 10 days before using the number at the top of the thread. Spoke with Virginia, she gave me an estimate and the called back the next day with a final price. It's a beautiful cake and we are still trying to finish!
View attachment 111099 View attachment 111100 View attachment 111101
Love it! And $76 for an 8 inch with fondant doesn't sound bad at all!

has anyone ever tried using the birthday sparklers on their cakes at a restaurant? I was thinking of getting some for my daughter's cake at 1900 park fare and can't decide if they would be frowned upon or ok.

*sigh*

I have been watching this thread for months and wanted to do a special cake for our September trip. My big kids are always asking for chocolate cake but since our DD2 is allergic/intolerant of chocolate, we usually say no since she always wants to have what the rest of us are having.

We celebrated DH's birthday this past weekend and I got him a chocolate cake with peanut butter filling and vanilla and chocolate frosting (got DD2 a vanilla cupcake of her own). Tasted JUST like a peanut butter cup! Everyone loved it . . . except DS . . . *sigh* He took all of the frosting off . . . and reminded me why we only have cake at birthdays. I have not found a cake yet that he will eat all of . . . he usually eats just the cake or just the icing.

No Disney cake for us.

:sad1:

This may have been mentioned in an earlier post. But the Animal Kingdom Lodge does not offer the custard with strawberries filling anymore for there cakes. Or at least the person I talked to said it wasn't an option. FYI... Kinda bummed!

***UPDATE***
Just called back to AKL and last night I must have just talked to someone who wasn't really informed about the cake ordering. They do have the custard with fresh strawberries filling still available!!!

Last edited:
I'm wanting to order a cake for a birthday dinner for my Mom at California Grill. I sent an email to the email address on the first page for the Contemporary two days ago. Is that email correct, as I haven't received a reply yet...
Thanks
Debbie

*sigh*

I have been watching this thread for months and wanted to do a special cake for our September trip. My big kids are always asking for chocolate cake but since our DD2 is allergic/intolerant of chocolate, we usually say no since she always wants to have what the rest of us are having.

We celebrated DH's birthday this past weekend and I got him a chocolate cake with peanut butter filling and vanilla and chocolate frosting (got DD2 a vanilla cupcake of her own). Tasted JUST like a peanut butter cup! Everyone loved it . . . except DS . . . *sigh* He took all of the frosting off . . . and reminded me why we only have cake at birthdays. I have not found a cake yet that he will eat all of . . . he usually eats just the cake or just the icing.

No Disney cake for us.

:sad1:

He still enjoyed the cake. Think of it as dinner, some of us eat everything on the plate, others don't. The main point is that you all got to enjoy cake together, not how much was eaten.

I have a cake coming tomorrow night to Whispering Canyon for my DH, Chef Brian emailed back with a quote of 89$

6 inch fondant with chocolate cake and chocolate mouse filling. 2d image of the Incredibles family as well as the happy birthday message on white chocolate.

DD handled this for her siblings and her call to the cake hotline she said was a little iffy so she called yesterday to confirm. She said Jane called her back today and they have everything all set except there was not a name on the reservation for the cake so she took care of that. I will post a picture of the cake fingers crossed it comes out nice.

I'm wanting to order a cake for a birthday dinner for my Mom at California Grill. I sent an email to the email address on the first page for the Contemporary two days ago. Is that email correct, as I haven't received a reply yet...
Thanks
Debbie

It is correct. Last time I checked, the pastry chef there didn't work on Mondays and Tuesdays, so that's why you haven't heard back yet.

Ahhh, well that makes sense. I have received two emails from Chef Donald today regarding my request. Problem is I sent two emails - one late last night and one on Sunday, he made initial contact to both emails asking for pictures, ideas of what I was looking for, I responded right away and then nothing for the rest of today... Hopefully will get somewhere tomorrow! Thanks for the information!

He still enjoyed the cake. Think of it as dinner, some of us eat everything on the plate, others don't. The main point is that you all got to enjoy cake together, not how much was eaten.

Yeah, but that's a lot of money to pay for a cake that he won't really eat, and there are only four of us on this trip. I wonder if there is any other special dessert we can do instead. I'll have to think about it.

Ok so I finally got all the details for the cake worked out for my Mom's birthday. After several emails with Donald at the Contemporary I got a phone call today to place the order. I took inspiration from the Cinderella cake in post #1755 (I think), the Cinderella cake that looks dusted with glitter and has the shoe (dusted with glitter too). This is for my Mom's birthday, 70-something!
This is what I ordered - 6in, vanilla with bavarian cream and fresh strawberries. I told them I wanted it to be a four layer cake, 6 inch cake. I believe it will have fondant on the outside because that's how it looks in the picture. It will also have the shoe and the pumpkins. I was quoted $80. I am having it delivered to California Grill and will pay for it with dinner since I am using Tables In Wonderland. I know I'll have to tip the server but I don't have a problem with that.

So now on to the next cake... I was mentioning this cake to my friend who I am going to Disney with in October for the Food & Wine Festival. There will be six women in our group. We are having brunch at Ohana our last morning. My friend said we should order a cake to celebrate our girls weekend/Food & Wine festival. Will Disney do any kind of theme that involves wine or wine glass? Any suggestions of theming or design for the cake? Want to stay away from princess or it being too Disney. I will have to deal with ordering this cake from Grand Floridian bakery, ugh!
Debbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter