• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Dancing With the Stars: Season 18

All my votes went to Meryl & Maks tonight, they were simply amazing!!!!!!!

I don't understand the praise for Amy's second dance, she sat on the table for most of dance!? If 1 of the other stars did that dance I don't believe they would've received the same praise at all.

...it's defined as moving feet or body or both in a pattern of steps. That surely implies your feet[or some part of your body] must be touching the ground...

You assume it does. You are taking steps and thinking feet.

Our school drill team has a dance where they only move lighted, hand held objects. It's great. It's still a dance. They are moving their arms and upper body in a rhythm.

And people who put themselves "out there" in such a big way aren't generally concerned about their pride. I do not think the good dancers should go before the less qualified, but I see it as entertainment, where they are doing a job. I do not believe for one second that any of them are doing the show for that mirrored trophy. Exposure and a paycheck.

I am starting to get a sneaking feeling that James is going to somehow run away with this thing. I think he should have been gone weeks ago but his fans are keeping him in there. I think everyone expected that the preteen/teen votes would be wrapped up by Cody Simpson but James very clearly has a stronger base. I have to say that I see "Team JETA!" references all over Twitter when I search the DWTS hashtag and youtube videos of his dances have a TON of views. I don't know how all of that translates to actual votes but he has to be pulling in big numbers.

The judges have a way of scoring dancers in the final that will put the best on top, I think they might scored Meryl & Amy the same but the other two will have lower scores. Since the judges score counts as half the bottom couples need more votes to win, at least I think that's how it works.

On the second night of the final the judges never change the order of the dancers, the one that starts in the top spot will stay in the top spot.

You assume it does. You are taking steps and thinking feet....

...I don't think so...I am just stating what the dictionary definition that you provided said, but I included the ENTIRE definition as given....whether the steps taken are with feet, or with hands, I'd wager most folks would think basically, the same thing...:confused3

....bottom line is, had ANYONE else tried to pull that off as a "dance", they would have gotten royally chastised for it....did I enjoy Amy and Derek's 2nd number? Yes, I thought it was cool, innovative, and clever...however, when someone is spending more than half the number SLIDING on a tabletop, I'm sorry - that, in my opinion, is NOT dancing...

....bottom line is, had ANYONE else tried to pull that off as a "dance", they would have gotten royally chastised for it....did I enjoy Amy and Derek's 2nd number? Yes, I thought it was cool, innovative, and clever...however, when someone is spending more than half the number SLIDING on a tabletop, I'm sorry - that, in my opinion, is NOT dancing...

Yep!

Doesn't the score include the general public? I highly doubt everyone is calling, tweeting & logging in for sympathy only. It's a popularity contest.

Uhh...Before DWTS, I'd never even heard of her. How many people watch the Para Olympics? I can assure you that not near as many who watch the regular Olympics.

The woman is inspirational, sure. And her first dance tonight was very good. But give me a break. "Dancing" while sitting isn't that difficult. I could compete with her on that. She's being unfairly judged well mostly because of her "disability".

....while I agree that lots of people are voting for her because of 'popularity', let's face it - many of those votes ARE sympathy votes..." [ "Oh, how incredible!", "I really admire her for doing what she's doing.", "What guts and determination!" and on and on...that's what a sympathy vote IS]…

Agree!

I don't see it that way. What would you call Candice's votes? Surely not sympathy.

All the contestants are getting paid. I feel sorry for none of them. Would have loved to see Charlie stay to watch his dancing in the finals. Clearly, he wasn't popular enough.

Candace still has a lot of fans from when she was on Full House. Also, let's not forget the fact that she's practically prosylitising so she's also going to get votes from the far right Christians.

Agree.

Uhh...Before DWTS, I'd never even heard of her. How many people watch the Para Olympics? I can assure you that not near as many who watch the regular Olympics.

I know Amy because she was on The Amazing Race with her boyfriend.

It's a lovely thought that no one watches the Paralympics and everyone just feels sympathy for them. I'm sure all of the athletes would love to hear that.

I still maintain that DWTS is for entertainment. If it were an actual competition like the Olympics or the Paralympics, then there would be guidelines the judges would have to follow and the general public would not get a vote.

I was entertained by all the dances last night. Candice's was not as good as the others. She should be out and not Charlie, but DWTS has never operated that way.

...it's defined as moving feet or body or both in a pattern of steps. That surely implies your feet[or some part of your body] must be touching the ground...

I call BS on this. Ever seen differently abled dance? People in WHEELCHAIRS dancing. Their feet aren't touching the ground, but it is definitely dance.

http://www.americandancewheels.org/gallery/videos.shtml

Dance is not confined to such a narrow view as you apparently hold.

I'm kind of hoping that Charlie and Danica/Val votes go to Meryl. The "problem" is that Derek can do no wrong. I do think he is the best choreographer out there, but Meryl is the best and her chemistry with Maks is worth the win IMO.

I agree! :thumbsup2

I will vote for the first time this season.....too late to save Charlie, but hopefully help Meryl!

I have to admit, I have not voted at all this season. But after what happened last night, I voted by phone and internet. ALL my votes for Meryl and M-M-Maks! Love them together (that, and I've never seen Maks looking better or happier! :goodvibes)

Each season, I wonder how much the pro plays into people's favorites. The pros are the ones who return each season and they are the ones that the viewers really develop opinion on. I just wonder how things might have been different this year if partnerships had been different. If Meryl had been partnered with Derek, would people complain about how she is a ringer, Derek always gets the ringers, and that she shouldn't be on the show? If Charlie had been partnered with Cheryl, would those two be the front runners for most of the season? If James had been partnered with Karina, would more people want him to win? If Amy had been with Maks, would people complain that he had a huge unfair disadvantage?

Personally, I think that the pro plays a much higher role in the partnerships and how people feel about the star than most of us are willing to admit. Heck, I know that I'm willing to give Amy a pass on a lot of things simply due to the fact that I am watching Derek more than her. NeNe really irritated me on Celebrity Apprentice, but I adore Tony so I wanted her to go farther. I don't like Peta, which conflicts me about James. Normally, with how sweet he is, I'd be more than happy for him to go all the way.

And on a different note, why are we still calling it Macy's Stars of Dance? Let's just change the name to the Derek Hough All-Professional Dance of the week, if he's going to be the one to choreograph each week.

When I watched Derek and Amy's second dance, I knew I had seen something similar before. Then I remembered watching So You Think You Can Dance several years ago. There was a dance on it where the male was underneath a bench with the female on the bench. It was a contemporary dance.

So while I enjoyed the dance, I saw it as a contemporary dance. I also think Amy didn't do enough during the dance. I feel Derek is using Amy as a prop rather than a partner.

I didn't like the Macy's dance. I felt it was frantic and was done to showcase Derek in various backdrops.

I loved both of Meryl's dances. My votes went to her.

Did anyone else cringe when they saw Charlie was dancing with a cane again? You would think he would stay far away from that prop.

I call BS on this. Ever seen differently abled dance? People in WHEELCHAIRS dancing. Their feet aren't touching the ground, but it is definitely dance.

http://www.americandancewheels.org/gallery/videos.shtml

Dance is not confined to such a narrow view as you apparently hold.

...I didn't make up this definition; it was taken from dictionary.com:

dance [dans, dahns]

verb (used without object), danced, danc·ing.

1. to move one's feet or body, or both, rhythmically in a pattern of steps, especially to the accompaniment of music.

:confused3

....BTW, cool video. Now, as I see it, those people WERE dancing, except that their wheelchairs [and some of them, their arms] were their 'feet' that were dancing. There WAS rhythmical movement going on, and there WAS 'stepping' taking place. That movement cannot, and should not, be compared to someone sliding up and down a flat surface. Furthermore, someone is going to compare what Amy did last night to another person practicing intricate moves and patterns of choreographed steps?? Come on...THAT'S BS....I never suggested that Amy was a bad dancer or anything of that sort. In spite of her handicap (I'm not even sure if that word is even 'politically correct' nowadays) she has risen to the occasion week after week. I am merely suggesting that it is not fair [to ANYONE] to "compare apples to oranges" and that Derek is really at fault, not Amy. She was merely following the routine of her partner, and she's done it with class and grace....

I was sorry to see Charlie go as I thought he was much better than the dancers left other than Meryl. I think if he would have been paired with another dancer he would have gone to the finals. I would have liked to see him with Cheryl. I don't consider Amys second dance a dance at all and don't know why (well I guess I do) she received such high scores. I liked James' dances even though they seemed frantic at times but I don't feel he deserves to be in the final. And there is no way that Candace should be in the final. It all comes down to a popularity contest as the judges scores last night were all pretty close.

So while I enjoyed the dance, I saw it as a contemporary dance. I also think Amy didn't do enough during the dance. I feel Derek is using Amy as a prop rather than a partner....
...this captures what I am trying to say perfectly...thanks.

...oh, and on a side note, I really resent you insinuating this, as my brother happens to be an amputee...

Insinuating what? You're the one who suggested feet had to be involved in dancing. And, BTW, the definition you included said "hands OR feet"....it didn't say that both had to be moving.

ETA: Just watched the clip again....except for a couple of second on the table (at most 1 or 2) she was moving her hands, feet or BOTH for well over 90+% of that dance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter