Official Castaway Cay 5K Thread

I'm planning on running this 5k on my December 6-13 Fantasy Cruise. It's a critical run for me as it's the final race of my "40 races before I turn 40" personal challenge. Two years ago, when I longed to do the 5k but couldn't, I saw the runners gathering onshore long before we were allowed off the ship.

What time did you disembark? Were you let off before the beachgoers? (We're supposed to disembark at 9:30 am.)

We also have a stingray excursion booked for 11 am and I don't want to miss either event. Thanks for the info.

We had a meeting place at 8 and my 8:30 we were making our way out and off the boat. By the time we walked to the bike rental area and to start the race it was close to 9 and by 9:40 or so I was done running.

I'm planning on running this 5k on my December 6-13 Fantasy Cruise. It's a critical run for me as it's the final race of my "40 races before I turn 40" personal challenge. Two years ago, when I longed to do the 5k but couldn't, I saw the runners gathering onshore long before we were allowed off the ship.

What time did you disembark? Were you let off before the beachgoers? (We're supposed to disembark at 9:30 am.)

We also have a stingray excursion booked for 11 am and I don't want to miss either event. Thanks for the info.

If you're going to try for it, have the rest of your party ready with all of your stuff, and have a place to meet them.

When I did the 5K last October, there was a woman having to give up on the run even as we got off the ship; she trusted the times on the Navigators, booked nursery time based on that, and her nursery time was just about up by the time we were disembarking. She was highly upset, as well she should be. That morning was a chaotic mess and I still don't understand why it took so long. (I don't have the times memorized, though)

Remember that there's a really solid walk to the start after you get off the ship, and at least with my 2 experiences last year we weren't fast-tracked off the ship at all, we joined in the lines of other people...and there's some standing around and waiting right after getting off the ship and then at the start.

I don't want to discourage you, but keep track of time and have your companions waiting with ALL of the stuff you'll need for the excursion.

If you're going to try for it, have the rest of your party ready with all of your stuff, and have a place to meet them.

When I did the 5K last October, there was a woman having to give up on the run even as we got off the ship; she trusted the times on the Navigators, booked nursery time based on that, and her nursery time was just about up by the time we were disembarking. She was highly upset, as well she should be. That morning was a chaotic mess and I still don't understand why it took so long. (I don't have the times memorized, though)

Remember that there's a really solid walk to the start after you get off the ship, and at least with my 2 experiences last year we weren't fast-tracked off the ship at all, we joined in the lines of other people...and there's some standing around and waiting right after getting off the ship and then at the start.

I don't want to discourage you, but keep track of time and have your companions waiting with ALL of the stuff you'll need for the excursion.

Thank you (and Matt&Jakesmom) for all the info! I'll just have a reason to run even faster for this race! And the suggestion to have someone bring my stuff from the ship is a super idea. I will definitely make that happen!

We're doing a four-day on the Wonder that stops in Nassu first, then we spent two days at Castaway Cay. Anyone know if the CC5K will be on the first day at the island or the second? Thank you! (sorry if this has been asked before and I missed it)

They have consistently held the 5K on BOTH days of a double dip. I know I'm planning on both next month!

Is it OK to walk the 5K? Not really into running but love to walk, did the color run and SGKoman walking and had a blast.

Is it OK to walk the 5K? Not really into running but love to walk, did the color run and SGKoman walking and had a blast.

Yes we walked it at about a 16:00 pace and they were still there at the finish line. There were actually a few people behind us too.:thumbsup2

We just did the race on Friday, it was brutally hot and muggy, I just decided to walk the whole thing, they wait for every finisher, and even had shirts up to 3xl

We just did the race on Friday, it was brutally hot and muggy, I just decided to walk the whole thing, they wait for every finisher, and even had shirts up to 3xl

Were the shirts cotton? Or the moisture-wicking type?

They were cotton in the past, but we've been hoping they'd change them.

I was on the Oct 1 double dip and they only ran the race the first day at the island. I've never run in a 5K before so I started at the back because I wasn't sure what pace everyone else would be setting and I didn't want to get in the way. I was very disappointed at the number of walkers that started toward the front that I had to get around before I could run at the pace I wanted to run.

The shirts were cotton so I didn't bother getting one. If they were made of a material that was better suited for running I would have picked one up.

Overall I'm glad I did it and had fun but it was really HOT.

The shirts were cotton so I didn't bother getting one. If they were made of a material that was better suited for running I would have picked one up.

If they were made of a material suited for running, we'd not only buy them, we'd likely wear them at some of the races we do. Free advertising runDisney! Are you listening? :scratchin

question about shirts...

sorry if this has been asked already, but what is the process of getting them? Do you buy them at the end of the race? Do only the finishers get to buy them? and how much are they?

wondering if DH can buy it for me while I am doing the 5K

question about shirts... sorry if this has been asked already, but what is the process of getting them? Do you buy them at the end of the race? Do only the finishers get to buy them? and how much are they? wondering if DH can buy it for me while I am doing the 5K

Anyone can buy the shirts. The issue for me last October was sizing. In most shirts I'm a small now, but I got the women's cut (new at that time) in a medium and it's close to skin tight. I wear it for weight lifting usually.

I was wondering if any of you had your entire group do the 5k? If so, is there a way to bring some personal stuff for the beach after you complete the run/walk? Or is the only option to return to the ship to get ready for castaway cay day? It would be nice if there was a way to bring suits to change into, but of course a safe place to leave your things while doing the race would be ideal.
Thoughts? Thanks!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter