Official Castaway Cay 5K Thread

BTW, nancy drew, my DH doesn't care about the medal and says that you can have his. :) If you'd like it pm me your address I'd be happy to send it to you!

BTW, nancy drew, my DH doesn't care about the medal and says that you can have his. :) If you'd like it pm me your address I'd be happy to send it to you!

Wow, really? That is so nice! I'm going to try to contact someone on the cruise line and see if they can send me one, but if not then I will PM you. Thank you, and tell your husband thank you too!

Wow, really? That is so nice! I'm going to try to contact someone on the cruise line and see if they can send me one, but if not then I will PM you. Thank you, and tell your husband thank you too!

No problem, just let me know. :)

excited for our first {DISNEY} cruise and the 5K at castaway!!!
{secretly hoping the medals are there} heehee!!

Curious what the new certificates look like. Can anyone post a picture?

FWIW we ran this past Friday and received the medal. Guessing the certificate was a last minute replacement for a late shipment and would expect a medal.

They also said the run sat a record with 260 participants.

Can anyone tell us what time they started the clock? I see on this Navigator that they met at 8:15 and left the ship at 8:30.

Does anyone recall how soon after that the race started? Do they have you queue up until 9 am for example?

Also for all the people who had 200+, what was that like?? Did the crowd slow you down?

We have an excursion we have to be back at, at 9:30. But we are still eyeing this. If the race started 8:45 or even a little later, we think it could still be done. Or at least...very motivating to keep a good clip!

We have an excursion we have to be back at, at 9:30. But we are still eyeing this. If the race started 8:45 or even a little later, we think it could still be done. Or at least...very motivating to keep a good clip!

Back in October, we were barely off the ship at 9:30. Serious complaining (and I'm not saying she's wrong!) by one woman who took the Navigator seriously and booked nursery time that morning for her baby, and it was going to be for nothing because she couldn't run.

Just off the Dream and ran the 5K on Tuesday! It was my first 5K in over 8 years. I was so excited to use this as motivation to get back into training and was really pleased with a 31 minute time. As everyone says it's like running on the sun there - so be prepared! I drank lots of water and gatorade the day before to make sure I was hydrated. Our navigator had us meet at 8:15 and we started the 5K right around 9. They did have medals, which made me really happy after reading some recent posts! (It's all about the plastic bling!) Now I'm using the fun I had to hopefully run the Princess Half Marathon in February!

Just off the Dream and ran the 5K on Tuesday! It was my first 5K in over 8 years. I was so excited to use this as motivation to get back into training and was really pleased with a 31 minute time. As everyone says it's like running on the sun there - so be prepared! I drank lots of water and gatorade the day before to make sure I was hydrated. Our navigator had us meet at 8:15 and we started the 5K right around 9. They did have medals, which made me really happy after reading some recent posts! (It's all about the plastic bling!) Now I'm using the fun I had to hopefully run the Princess Half Marathon in February!

Rissyrynn, what a great experience for you! Big congrats! :yay: And really glad to hear they started right around 9. Maybe if the people signed up are more prompt (and they would rather get started before it gets even hotter) then they can head out sooner!

A 31 minute time for someone who's been out of the game!!!:worship: I just would love to even get to a 31 minute time! You're very inspiring. I need to go train instead of reading vacation threads.

And really glad to hear they started right around 9. Maybe if the people signed up are more prompt (and they would rather get started before it gets even hotter) then they can head out sooner!

I have to say that our 5K a couple weeks ago started later, closer to 9:30, maybe 9:40, and not because of people arriving late. We waited a while in the Tube after everyone (260+, a record number for the 5k) had checked in, then again lined up in the hallway outside the tube and down the stairs to disembark.

Also started the 5k really really late because so many were registering and showed up late. Kinda killed the morning at CC for me :(

Just did the 5K Thursday at CC. I would say there were about 65 runners (we were on the Wonder rather than one of the bigger ships). Although we met at 8 and were scheduled to start the race at 8:30, we weren't able to disembark until 8:30 and thus didn't start the race until around 9 (after walking to the start). We did get bibs and medals.

DH and DS11 ran the 5K yesterday off the Fantasy. Meet time was 9:15 in the Tube which was just about when disembarkation started. DH said it felt a bit chaotic. Runners were told they needed picture ID to get off the ship so many went back to their room and missed any information provided in the Tube. It was quite a warm morning and some runners complained that there was only one water station on the course (another at the end). DH said that some felt the course was not well marked. Medals were abundant. They were both happy they did the 5K and I was proud they woke up and completed it.

For our 5K Thursday, one of the cast members was telling people they would need a picture ID to return to the ship. Some passengers said they had heard the opposite info from Guest Services. The other cast member said that runners would be allowed back on the ship with their race bibs in lieu of photo ID after the race. It was definitely confusing.

I do agree the course was not well marked at parts, but they did show us a map before the race (it was on TV screens in Diversions where we met). We had water at the start of the race and at one other point which was a spot we passed at least 3 times due to the nature of the course.

It was quite a warm morning and some runners complained that there was only one water station on the course (another at the end). DH said that some felt the course was not well marked.

I wonder if the some that felt that way were paying attention during the meeting, or listening before the start. Also wonder if those runners noticed that you pass by that water table on your way into the loop, out of the loop to the adult beach, while going back into the loop, and then out of the loop again? One station, 4 passes by. :) And some have mentioned that there's one inside of the loop (I've seen it, but it never looks like it would work).

I do agree the course was not well marked at parts, but they did show us a map before the race (it was on TV screens in Diversions where we met). We had water at the start of the race and at one other point which was a spot we passed at least 3 times due to the nature of the course.

Exactly. :)

On our cruises, the info about ID was printed in the Navigator. People still managed to not believe it, but it wasn't for wont of trying on the part of the cruiseline!

I love this thread. It has had quite a bit of info and support. I will be doing it on our cruise next year. I do know it is quite a while away but I am a bit of a big girl and am using the run as a big goal. My big question at the moment is that I reside in a cold climate. Like it still snows in may type deal. Is there a way to train so my body dose not go into shock? The run is at the end of the cruise. I was hoping to run the ship the week before to get use to the heat.
:scratchin

Sorry if this has been answered but do yiu have to complete the race within a certain anount of time?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter