Official Castaway Cay 5K Thread

Does anyone have a picture of the medal and certificate they can post?

It's not a medal it's a plastic Mickey head- nothing like any of the races in WDW of course, this is just for fun.

Linda

Just out of curiosity, would anyone be willing to actually PAY for the CC 5k if they offered it as a port adventure that you schedule in advance and included the tshirt and an actual nice medal or medallion like they do in the runDisney races? I think I would be willing to pay for it to guarantee my shirt size and definitely get a nice medal or medallion.

AnotherPrincess said:
Just out of curiosity, would anyone be willing to actually PAY for the CC 5k if they offered it as a port adventure that you schedule in advance and included the tshirt and an actual nice medal or medallion like they do in the runDisney races? I think I would be willing to pay for it to guarantee my shirt size and definitely get a nice medal or medallion.

Yes! I would definitely!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

set

This is the "medal" except that my daughter wrote 5K on it.

AnotherPrincess said:

Yes. But not the runDisney rates

cruisecrasher said:
Yes. But not the runDisney rates

Agree those rates for the 5k are outrageous.

If it were $30 and a decent quality shirt and medal I would think about it. Plus if I signed up early I would be more willing to run then be lazy and sleep. :-)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using DISBoards

I am so glad that I did it in the beginning of August. I received both the medal and the certificate but bought the shirt. I really liked the fact that I didn't have to pay for it, and this really motivated me to want to do it as I was concerned that in the future there would be a charge for it. Although I planned on running it from the get go, I wouldn't want to sign up and pay for it in advance as I wasn't positive once I got on the cruise and the Castaway Cay day came up, I would actually go through with it. And I didn't want to lock myself into committing to it in advance.

AnotherPrincess said:

I would pay if it was a "normal registration fee" and not a ton of money. I would want the shirt and a nice medal to be included. If I paid for registration it would force me out of bed to do it! I registered for a triathlon last January and I barely trained but forced myself to do it so it wouldn't be a waste of money...haha. Not the smartest thing I've done, but I finished, and will be doing another tri next year that I plan on training more for!

Finally back home from our 5night double dip. Ran/walk the 5 k in 42 minutes. Not the last one at least...

We met on the lounge. A few kids under 12 were there with their parents, and we're allowed to run as long as they did not register.

We left promptly and walked all the way to the starting line. They have red markers (think of a big red plate with 5K and an arrow pointing the direction to go). But it's an easy path. Lots of water stations along the way and they use paper cone cups. And a big digital clock for you to get an idea of the time.

On my run, I felt out of place. Most of the folks were runners. A few walkers. I was just someone that started c25k 4 weeks ago. But didn't care. In the second CC day, I proudly wore my shirt and got kudos from chip and sale when I had pictures taken with them.

No medals though. Supposedly they are redesigning them. It was HOT and humid but the water stations all over helped a lot. We had two CMs and one of them actually run it.

At the end, did try to get a shirt but they did not have XL. I asked them if they had in the back but no. Since it was a double dip I figured I would get it first thing on the second day, but as soon as I left, CM came running to catch me that they did find extra in the back, soi got mine.

Initially I planned on doing it again, but I had missed taking our pictures with the rest of the family on the back of the ship and with characters on the gangway, so I slept a bit more and skipped it.

If you participate in the Castaway Cay 5k, do you recieve a medal or anything? Also, what time does it start? And where do you run? Is it a loop, or is it 1.5 miles out and then 1.5 miles back the same way? Thanks for the info!

If you participate in the Castaway Cay 5k, do you recieve a medal or anything? Also, what time does it start? And where do you run? Is it a loop, or is it 1.5 miles out and then 1.5 miles back the same way? Thanks for the info!
You receive one of the plastic mickey head winners medals they give away at trivia contests, etc onboard. You are also supposed to receive a certificate but have heard those are hit and miss.

The run start time depends on your all ashore time is at CC. The 5K group meets onboard about 30 mins prior and then heads to the start line out by Pelican Point. The start is normally about 30 mins from the all ashore time at CC.

As for the route. It starts out by the Pelican Plunge tram stop, heads out to the runway, turns right at the bicycle path loop out towards the lookout, comes back out of the loop and turns right to the end of the runway, does a uturn and repeats the loop and back to the finish line (you do two loops of the lookout circle).

When I ran it - it was only one loop at the lookout circle not 2.Our CM's stressed NOT to make 2 loops just 1 loop.:)

I did it summer of 2011 and we just did one loop, but I have been reading lately that it has changed to two. Also now have t-shirts available to buy at the gift shop at Pelican Point, so I will be doing it again in December. Guess I could just buy it since I ran it before, but it is such a unique opportunity that I will do it again. HOT but fun.

When I ran it - it was only one loop at the lookout circle not 2.Our CM's stressed NOT to make 2 loops just 1 loop.:)

When did you run last run the 5K? :confused3

I have run it more than 30 times over the past 10 yrs. It used to start at the end of the pier and run out to the runway and around the loop only once. But for the past year it has been two loops of the lookout path starting from the Pelican Plunge tram stop. Was told it was because of safety issues on everyone running the beach path and possibility of people getting "run over".

When did you run last run the 5K? :confused3

I have run it more than 30 times over the past 10 yrs. It used to start at the end of the pier and run out to the runway and around the loop only once. But for the past year it has been two loops of the lookout path starting from the Pelican Plunge tram stop. Was told it was because of safety issues on everyone running the beach path and possibility of people getting "run over".

I ran it January of 2011. It started at the ship and ended at the ship. But they kept saying only one loop and then had a CM at the loop making sure everyone just did one loop.
We are sailing in 2.5 weeks and my children will be running it then. I hope it is only to the tram so we can get on the tram and head to the beach. I will let you know. :banana:

It was a double-dip cruise and the same was for the second day at Castway Cay.

I ran it this past May. Started at the bike rental place out to the air strip, around the loop down to the end of the air strip back around the loop, then back to where you started. It was hot in the loop.

The navigator will have the meet up info for the race.

I ran this in February. I got the plastic medal, a certificate, and my bib (perfect to add to my collection, for just sweat.. No fee!)

We ran past the splash area to the bike loop, to the airstrip and back through the bike loop and finish line. I live and train in central fl and this was HOT and full sun, later than I would go out.

DH did it on the 8/15 cruise last month. He got a certificate but not a medal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter