Official Castaway Cay 5K Thread

The minimum age is 10, but are they strict about this? MY DS is 8 and wants to do it with his Grandma (I'll be running as well, but he's too slow for me).

This is exciting. We are going on the Fantasy in Aug. My daughter has gone with us on a few of the 5Ks before but was never able to register before because she was under to. As soon as we crossed the finish, I would take the medal and put it around her neck. She is excited to get her own number and it will be a great surprise to get a new medal.

Thanks for the info.

The minimum age is 10, but are they strict about this? MY DS is 8 and wants to do it with his Grandma (I'll be running as well, but he's too slow for me).
I have heard that kiddos younger than 10 CAN run with the family, but won't get a bib or finisher medallion. I'm sure someone else can confirm. :)

Wow! I didnt realize that there were other 5K's! Is there information online I can get? We are sailing in May. Do we have to register ahead of time for this?

Wow! I didnt realize that there were other 5K's! Is there information online I can get? We are sailing in May. Do we have to register ahead of time for this?

RunDisney has only held two Castaway Cay challenges - January 2015 after the WDW Marathon weekend and February 2015 after the Princess 1/2 Marathon weekend. You had to run one of those races and register/pay for the CC challenge plus the cruise. No word if they are going to host events like those in the future.

Any information on the Funruns? Sounds like the Challenge is a whole different thing...

Any information on the Funruns? Sounds like the Challenge is a whole different thing...
- They prefer that you sign up ahead of time at the Port Adventures desk...they will give you tickets to bring with you the morning of the race
- 10 years or older to participate
- When I did it, we met at 8:15 AM in Evolution (on the Dream) - bring your ID and ticket. You'll receive a race bib
- CMs will go over the course with you before walking off of the ship together as a group - we were supposed to leave the ship at 8:30AM but our CMs took late race-day sign-ups* and we didn't leave the ship until about 9AM
- There is a box where you can store belongings at the start/finish line
- The course (see below, marked with red/white dots and arrows) goes through the bike loop and out to the turn-around point at Serenity Bay...then you go back through the bike loop to the finish area
- There is one water stop on the course - you pass it twice - and from what I can remember, no bathroom (so make a stop BEFORE the race!) or medical support
- My Garmin watch had the course at 3 miles, not 3.1 miles
- You should get a finisher medallion when you are done
- It is VERY informal (the race is not chip-timed but there is a clock at the start/finish line), very flat and VERY hot

IMG_1967.PNG

*I have heard that not all CMs will allow day-of-race sign-ups...which is good in my opinion. PLEASE sign up ahead of time as the Navigator says to do!

My first 5K!
431.jpg

During our Fantasy cruise, 17-24 Jan 15. Good first 5K course, flat and easy to navigate. The water stop was set up at the "Loop of Despair" and you actually passed it four times.

We will be cruising in May and are really keen to do this, however nervous of the weather.

We are from England and May isn't really hot here so have no idea what to expect with it being our first ever caribbean trip.

Please could someone give us an idea of what to expect weather wise and if the course is likely going to be too hot or humid for our first ever 5k?

Thanks

Unless they've changed it, that is the medal that people got when they did the RunDisney races that people paid for. I would totally pay a little bit to get that medal on a normal sailing, though!

As of the January Challenge, they announced that that medal would be the new medal for the Island run (the free 5K) going forward. It seems that for the first few weeks afterwards not all ships/sailings had those medals, so some people were still getting the hard plastic medal with the Mickey ears.

But it was in fact intended to be the new medal for the 5Ks. And I'm glad to see the evidence that they are, in fact, giving it out! Makes me feel better for telling you all about it back in January. :) Vindicated!

Those of us who participated in the Challenge runs got that AND the metal Challenge medal.

Most of this 53 page thread is about the fun run on the island. (with just a bit of Challenge discussion since I got back from the January marathon/challenge weekend and cruise) What do you want to know that isn't here?

We will be cruising in May and are really keen to do this, however nervous of the weather.

We are from England and May isn't really hot here so have no idea what to expect with it being our first ever caribbean trip.

Please could someone give us an idea of what to expect weather wise and if the course is likely going to be too hot or humid for our first ever 5k?

Thanks

Hot. Humid. Broiling sun. Use sunscreen, wear a hat. Walk if necessary. Drink water. It'll be hot. And humid.

Last edited:
I live in Southeast Florida and I'm a runner. The heat doesn't bother me as much as the humidity. Some days it's like breathing hot soup LOL!!! Anyway, be prepared for a slower time if you aren't used to running in heat...and humidity....and blazing sun from what I saw of the course last April (I didn't run....just took a stroll around the area later that day).

I'm not in great shape, but have been dieting & working out in a gym for the last 3+ weeks. Spending some time on the tread mill. Wanted to drop 30 before my cruise that leaves in 20 days. So far I'm down 23. Figure I'll gain 5-10 on the cruise. LOL Don't know how running on a treadmill will translate to running outside in the heat. By the end of the week, I will be able to run a mile 3x on the tm, while walking a tenth in between miles. Should be able to do 1 & a 1/2 mile runs with a walk in between by the time I board. Hopefully I can do this run/walk as a reward for all the good meals & booze I've abstained from recently.

As of the January Challenge, they announced that that medal would be the new medal for the Island run (the free 5K) going forward. It seems that for the first few weeks afterwards not all ships/sailings had those medals, so some people were still getting the hard plastic medal with the Mickey ears.

But it was in fact intended to be the new medal for the 5Ks. And I'm glad to see the evidence that they are, in fact, giving it out! Makes me feel better for telling you all about it back in January. :) Vindicated!

Awesome! I would have paid a bit for the 5K to get that medal, vs the old one, however, free is better! It would look lovely on my rack with my four Princess 1/2 medals! I'd love the metal medal, but since I run the 1/2 as a "Girls weekend," I think my family might draw the line at cruising without them!!

I sailed on the Wonder feb 6 out of Miami. We never docked at Castaway but they still gave us the medal. A few of us ran a 5k on the ship instead ;) It was the new rundisney medal.

Is the place where you can keep your stuff while running secure? After running, is there a convenient place to change into a swim suit, or do you just wear your running clothes? TIA!

Is the place where you can keep your stuff while running secure? After running, is there a convenient place to change into a swim suit, or do you just wear your running clothes? TIA!
They have a wooden storage unit you throw your stuff in. Its one unit that everyone puts there stuff in. I wouldnt call it secure but i had no problem leaving my stuff in there. After the race we got our kids, set up on the beach, then changed in the bathrooms.

As has been stated, it's not a true 5K. It always registers at 3 miles or less for me (a true 5K is 3.1 miles), and I know I don't run the tangents (the most direct route) so it should be OVER 3.1 miles if the course was a true 5K. A big part of the reason it's not officially timed - it's not a certified course. It's fun a couple of times...for me, I'm now in the "I'll sign up but if I'm not feeling it, I won't bother" camp. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter