Official Castaway Cay 5K Thread

Hello! Does anyone know anything about the 5K on Castaway Cay? Is it run everyday? Do you have to sign up in advance? Is it early in the morning? Thanks!

Lots of threads on this topic, of late. I haven't run the race yet, but am training for it this summer. Its my understanding that the details are posted in the Navigator. It is apparently run every time the ship stops at Castaway Cay. Runners meet at one of the lounges in the morning, proceed as a group to the start line and run the race. No charge to run, and at the latest report runners get a numbered bib, certificate, and finisher's medallion. HTH

When I was there in January of this year, they had bibs as well as participation medals. I ran the 5k just for fun, but did not participate in the "official registration".

I plan on running it again when we go back in August and maybe try to make this one "official"! :)

I've run it twice, a lot of fun, and I just happened to write a post about my experience in the Castaway Cay 5k today on my blog:

couchtogoofychallenge.blogspot.com

I describe the process, the route, etc ... pretty casual though. check it out and message me or reply with any questions!!

have fun!! :cool1:

Wow! this sounds like so much fun! Thanks for the info! My husband and I just started running. We are doing our second 5K this weekend, so we are REALLY excited to get to do one with Disney!!

I'm glad I checked in today my Cruise sets sail June 20th, I'm a runner and so are my kids so this will be added to the list. I have an addiction to medals. :thumbsup2

My DH and I ran the CC 5K back in October and it was great. I'm a new runner, if you can call me that, but did well despite. Weather was beautiful and it's in the morning. There are all kinds of runners that participate. Have fun!! :goodvibes

Yup, all different kinds and levels of runners and walkers, and very comfortable for everyone. In fact, there were quit a few for whom the Castaway Cay 5k was their first 5k!! what a perfect first race for them! :wizard:

It will be my first race! We're on the June 24th double dip sailing.

I started my Couch to 5K in Feb but b/c of my husband's travel schedule have had to do most of it indoors on the treadmill when the kids go to bed. I'm a little worried about the Caribbean sun and heat........

Wow! this sounds like so much fun! Thanks for the info! My husband and I just started running. We are doing our second 5K this weekend, so we are REALLY excited to get to do one with Disney!!

This sounds like fun.... Count me in. Can't wait to do it with everyone who decides to do it. See you there.

My question is... can you go back on the ship after the race to shower before going to the beach with the rest of the family.???

Also, is there a place for your family to watch you finish the race.???

On our May 29 double dip cruise it was run at 8:30am both days. The starting line is near the tram stop in the heart of the island (near the family beaches, last stop before Serenity Bay). Both DH and I are runners, but we're on vacation and 8:30 feels very early when you are up late! We walked/jogged the course later in the day, as it is clearly marked (starting line down the airstrip to the bike trail that leads to the observation tower, finish the airstrip down to Serenity Bay, turn around and repeat the observation tower loop, then back. By the time we did it it was too hot and sunny for a run to be enjoyable (~10:30?), but it was nice at 8:30.

just returned from the Dream last Friday (double dip to CC)-we ran the 5K on our first CC day. (They offered it twice-both of our CC days.) You do meet at 8:30 at the 687 club, where you sign up and get your bib. You leave the ship at 8:45, and the "race" starts at 9:00. They do a pic of the whole group (ours was with Goofy) in front of the ship that you can buy later. There definitely are all different levels of runners, from those who did the whole course 2x (10K) to those who walked the whole distance. They give you a finishing medal at the end, and there are T-shirts you can buy if desired. (the cost was $21.95) It was tons of fun-but very hot!!! be sure to stay well hydrated. We were really glad we did it!

My question is... can you go back on the ship after the race to shower before going to the beach with the rest of the family.???

Also, is there a place for your family to watch you finish the race.???

The start/finish (same spot) is marked near the bicycle rentals. Your family can definately wait there!

I'm glad I checked in today my Cruise sets sail June 20th, I'm a runner and so are my kids so this will be added to the list. I have an addiction to medals. :thumbsup2

You may need to adjust your definition of medal. You get a plastic mickey head with a DCL logo on a red ribbon that says "Winner" on it. The course is flat and HOT. There is little to no shade along the course.

You may need to adjust your definition of medal. You get a plastic mickey head with a DCL logo on a red ribbon that says "Winner" on it. The course is flat and HOT. There is little to no shade along the course.
True statement. Still my dh, ds, dd and I still found the medal fun to get as a souvenir though! :-) the 5k is free, so why not? (and yes, definitely hot!)

Were the medals when you were on the Dream? We've done it before on the Dream and didn't get medals, just a bib. Medals would be cool :) :cool1:

Were the medals when you were on the Dream? We've done it before on the Dream and didn't get medals, just a bib. Medals would be cool :) :cool1:

Yep! Just last week. They are plasic, and shaped like Mickey with a red ribbon that says "winner." They are also used in the D lounge for family game show winners, so you may see them around the ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter