Official Castaway Cay 5K Thread

Thanks for the help - it sounds like we need to plan on only having one of us run it if it could run that late. I don't want the kids to miss their day at the beach so that we can feed our running addiction. :)

It is very helpful to know that we can get on and off the ship - it will be a long day for the baby otherwise.

Thanks for the advice!

Soooo....I totally chickened out last November. I was really going to do it but it took much longer than expected to recover from my surgery over summer so I never got started running (was going to do the couch potato to 5K app thingie since I've NEVER run before).

My new year's resolution is to get in shape (see comment above about never exercising!!) so I'm definitely going to be up for running it next time. Now to talk DH into booking again so I can fulfill that goal....

Thanks for the help - it sounds like we need to plan on only having one of us run it if it could run that late. I don't want the kids to miss their day at the beach so that we can feed our running addiction. :)

It is very helpful to know that we can get on and off the ship - it will be a long day for the baby otherwise.

Thanks for the advice!

The kids won't miss their day at the beach even if it runs long. :) I think little kids like yours might think the day stretches to forever and I will be ok. Plus if the older is in scuttles cove then s/he will be having a grand time anyway and the baby can't tell time yet.:)

Do all runners have to be present to sign up or can 1 member of the party do it for both?

Soooo....I totally chickened out last November. I was really going to do it but it took much longer than expected to recover from my surgery over summer so I never got started running (was going to do the couch potato to 5K app thingie since I've NEVER run before).

My new year's resolution is to get in shape (see comment above about never exercising!!) so I'm definitely going to be up for running it next time. Now to talk DH into booking again so I can fulfill that goal....

Just do it! Last summer (2012) I did Cto5K because I wanted to run our local 4th of July 5K. I kept up with it afterwards and I'm now a week away from the Disney 1/2 marathon. It gets addicting!

So looking forward to the Castaway Cay 5K in March!

I kept up with it afterwards and I'm now a week away from the Disney 1/2 marathon. It gets addicting!

Woo! Are you on the Events/Competitions forum in the Half Marathon thread? I don't recall your username. It's so close! :)

I started run/walking in Summer of 2012, too! So exciting to start running at the same time as the Summer Olympics. :goodvibes

Thanks for the advice!

We did the 5k last October. We ran into an issue where the kids club was not open early enough (our dd is 4). We brought her with us and were able to snag a jog stroller. There are a bunch of them available (first come first served) along with wagons and beach wheelchairs. It worked great. Maybe put the little one in the nursery and bring the older one with you. One note: when we were signing up we asked a cast member where the jog strollers were on the beach and he looked at us like we were crazy. I said that i had read that they were available and he said "no, there are only wheelchirs". I had read on more than one thread that they existed. We figured that if they didn't exist, one of us would just head to the beach and the other would run. As we were walking down the path to the beach - there they were! They were right where other posters said they were (on the path, on the left hand side, right before you get to the beach). Yea!

I did the 5k last June on the Dream. We met early in the am the morning on Castaway Cay in th District. Lounge far aft. They led us off the ship and walked to the start. Of we went.

Great fun. I will do it again in March, this time on the Fantasy.

So excited to learn about this! DH and I have been talking about training for some races this year. We're hoping to book on the Wonder for April 22 2015 for our first Disney cruise. Hoping the agent can get us the cabins we need!

Planning to run during our 3 night Dream cruise in a few weeks! I've read in a few places that the route can be confusing and since I am very directionally challenged, I have visions of me going off course ;) Are there CM on the route to guide you? I'm traveling with DH and our kids as well as some extended family but I am the only one in our group running. Thanks!

Planning to run during our 3 night Dream cruise in a few weeks! I've read in a few places that the route can be confusing and since I am very directionally challenged, I have visions of me going off course ;) Are there CM on the route to guide you? I'm traveling with DH and our kids as well as some extended family but I am the only one in our group running. Thanks!

Unless you are really fast (and get in front of everyone) or really slow (and get way behind everyone) you can pretty much putt along and follow the pack. It's not well marked, but I am very good at getting lost and I didn't have any problems..

no matter the detail changes, it is a fun event!! definitely do it! looking forward to Disney Marathon Weekend this week! :cool1:

Good luck at the Marathon this week! I can't wait for my next RunDisney event - who knew running could be so much fun?!

So it sounds like it's iffy as to whether or not the island kids club is open prior to the start. Hope I get lucky with that - I'll be traveling solo with DD10 and really want to do this...

Unless you are really fast (and get in front of everyone) or really slow (and get way behind everyone) you can pretty much putt along and follow the pack. It's not well marked, but I am very good at getting lost and I didn't have any problems..

Thanks!

Sorry if this has been asked already. I took a quick look and didn't see if this was asked before.....
If DH and I both do the run will there be an opportunity to bring the kids to the kids club?
Thx!

Sorry if this has been asked already. I took a quick look and didn't see if this was asked before.....
If DH and I both do the run will there be an opportunity to bring the kids to the kids club?
Thx!

Oh wait! Looks like I found a similar post with my answer! :guilty:

Ran it a couple of weeks go, during our 3n Magic (12/27-12/30). We had to sign up at the port adventures desk and you get a ticket like any other PA.

If you are not signed up, those that come in at the last minute will be officially running it on their own. CMs bring medals and bibs only for those signed up. Again, age limit was 12+.

We had to meet at D-Lounge and we all walked off the ship as a group. A couple had their young childs but a husband or wife with them. Of our group, nobody needed to drop off their child at the clubs so no idea about how that would work.

They verified everyone had been registered, and that they had photo ID and their KTTW card to be able to get off the ship. A few (of course) didn't and had to run back to get them.

We all walked all the way to the starting line and it started. Our group was mostly runners or those who at least run part of it, in contrast of how it was in August 2012 when there were a lot more walkers. A CM set up a water station at the entrance to the bend (off the runway). Note that there are still a couple of water stations inside the bend with the little triangle paper cups.

After we crossed the finish line, they have us the medals. I asked about certificates and the CM said that they actually never did both. They had switched to certificates at one point but then went back to the medals. Also, they no longer do the group picture.

We're doing our first cruise on the Magic April 21st, what is the Port Adventures desk? Is that where you first sign up for the 5K? My husband would like to run it, do they have one for every cruise? Newbie with lots of questions :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter