Official Camping Recipe Thread!

I was searching for this post after we decided not to go with the DDP. Lots of great recipes. I thought I would add my slow cooker favorite. My ingredients are adapted for ease of traveling/camping, but it is still a hit in my family.

Pulled Pork BBQ sandwiches:
The night before, I throw the largest pork roast I can find (or two smaller ones) into my slow cooker before going to bed. I season with roughly a teaspoon of onion powder, a half teaspoon of garlic powder, a teaspoon of paprika, a half to full cup of brown sugar (depending on your taste), along with salt and pepper to taste. I fill with water until it is about a half inch below the top of the cooker. I cook it on medium heat overnight.

The next morning, I take it out of the cooker and put it on a plate in the refrigerator so that it becomes cool enough to handle, covered with foil. During lunch, I pull it apart (it will practically fall apart) making sure to exclude the remaining fat. I return it to the crockpot on low and mix it with a can of tomato sauce and enough BBQ sauce so that it is nearly too wet. I add back water if need be. Stir well, cover, and forget until supper.

For supper, I heat baked beans in the microwave, open a bag of chips, and spoon the pork onto buns. Great meal with minimal effort.

I have so many camp favorites, but most include the grill. Some are unusual which come from my Vietnamese roots, but most of it is standard fare.

lorac4disney

Any of those "unusual...from [your] Vietnamese roots" dishes slowcooker ones? Sure would like a few....hopefully with somewhat standard ingredients (or maybe suggest poss substitutes) as we don't get HUGE selection of specialty items (we do, just not as much as a huge city does).

Think I'll put a small pork in the crocker and try your pulled pork now!

I am making these right now, which reminded me we ate them while camping last Summer. I scanned through the 9 pages of recipes and did not see it -at least I don't think I did.

Petro's is a chain in East Tennesse that was "born" during the 1982 World's Fair here.

The chili can easily be prepared ahead of time and frozen. This is prepared individually in a layered fashion. Fritos in the bottom of a bowl, chili, shredded cheddar cheese, dollop of sour cream, diced tomatoes, cut up green onions, and sliced black olives. That is an "Original Petro".

It's similar to a taco salad, but with Fritos and chili. It is a staple food here in the Fall, but we eat it year around.

*All you Gator fans, if you've ever been to a TN/FL game here in Knoxville, you've probably seen (and maybe eaten) a Petro as they are in Neyland Stadium.

Love all the great recipes !! We are going camping over the 4th with a big group , I have printed many of these to try esp the desserts!! YUM.

These work on the campfire or even on the grill...

Banana Boats

Ingredients:
Ripe Bananas
Chocolate chips (dark, milk, white, butterscotch... whatever your favorite flavor)
Mini Marshmallows (or big ones cut into pieces)

Other: heavy tin foil

Cut the stem end of the bananas. Peel a strip out of inside curve of the banana, about 1/2-3/4" wide. Take a knife and make a slit through the center of the banana (don't pierce the skin on the opposite side).

Stuff chips and marshmallows into the banana. Wrap in heavy foil and put on the coals of the fire or on the grill on low, cut side up. Cook until gooey/melted in the middle, and the banana is warm and soft. It's ok if the skin browns/burns a little, it will protect the banana inside. Eat with a spoon!

Other yummy stuffing options:
Caramel
Peanut Butter
Jelly
Heath Bars
Butterfingers

...use your imagination!

Here is one of their faves:

Orange
Chocolate Chip Muffin Mix (or whatever floats your boat)

Cut the orange in half and scoop out the insides. (eat it)
Mix the muffin mix as per the directions.

Pour the muffin mix in 1 of the orange halves and cover with the empty half. Double wrap with tin foil and put on hot coals for 40 mins or so.

The muffin will cook into a big ball and will be hot and delicious with a hint of orange flavour.

Awesome!!

In a rush breakfast.... If your camper/RV has a microwave (we actually do these at home on busy school/work mornings too)... take a microwavable bowl (I use a large ramekin), spray with Pam, crack 2-3 eggs in each bowl add diced veggies, ham, whatever and sprinkle with cheese... cook on high 1 min. 30 seconds... depending on microwave and how many eggs you use. It's good, fast, easy clean up, healthy... you are assembling, cooking and eating out of just one bowl. It kinda looks like a souffle.

With such an alluring name how can you go wrong?!

Mix Bisquick (biscuit mix) with milk, make it nice and thick. Roll it into long snake like thing and wrap it around a stick. Cook over open flame until puffy and browned. Dip in melted butter, then cinamon and sugar. This is so delicious and is a campfire favourite.

Bannock-bisquick
Bear Grease-butter
ants-sugar/cinamon

Spray Pam in a mug, crack an egg in the much and cook in the microwave, then warm up some ready made bacon in the microwave and put both on an english muffin. THis is the Easiest breakfast ever!! The kids absolutely love them and they take no time to make! THe only dish you will have to clean is a mug. That's my kind of Breakie!;)

I am adding crock pot to my "camping list" now. Loving the recipes :cool1: I have a small toaster oven that I take also, which common items can be cooked, toast (duh), canned biscuits, small pizza, (which I don't do) But anyways, I thought I would add this as a snack suggestion. My mom did this for me when I was little and I still love it :yay:

Take saltine crackers and spread peanut butter (anykind-I am a Peter Pan kinda gal) then add a marshmellow on top (big sized ones) put in toaster over until browned and remove. Then kinda smush down the marshmellow and you have an out of this world snack. :woohoo: I actually like this better than smores (don't tell everyone that I said that) I have never tried this over a campfire, but you could do it :wizard:

Susan

I had to do a search for this thread. I thought it was a sticky?:confused3 Guess not.

Anyway, one of the meals my kids suggested was fajitas. Any suggestions on how I can do a little prep work ahead of time? Was thinking of slicing the chicken and putting in ziplock bag with seasoning. Could I go ahead and slice onions and bell peppers then too? Would I put them in the same bag as the chicken/seasoning?

don't know if it'll be a problem or not, but it would be 3 days from the latest I could do the prep work until the earliest I could cook them.

Thanks -

You might consider getting the already cooked sliced chicken breast - I think Tyson is one of the brands I've tried. It comes with various seasonings. Chopped onions after even just a couple hours will stink up a large area. Pack the peppers and onions whole then chop and saute when ready. Add the chicken near the end to heat through. Add the tortillas, bags of chopped lettuce and cheese with a jar of salsa and you are done.

You might consider getting the already cooked sliced chicken breast - I think Tyson is one of the brands I've tried.

Thanks. I was hoping to do as much as possible ahead of time. But I thought freezing the onions/peppers might make them wilted. I could put the ziplock bag in the ice chest - but sure don't want the entire ice chest tasting like onion:sad2:

Thanks. I was hoping to do as much as possible ahead of time. But I thought freezing the onions/peppers might make them wilted. I could put the ziplock bag in the ice chest - but sure don't want the entire ice chest tasting like onion:sad2:

It will only take a few minutes to chop/saute the peppers and onions. Add your favorite icy adult beverage and the time will fly by. Getting the already cooked/sliced chicken breast (the kind with nice big chunks that really looks like chicken breast that's found in the refrigerated lunch meat section) will be the time saver. The same chicken can be used cold on salads, heated and topped with BBQ sauce on a bun, chopped with celery, apples, and mayo for chicken salad, heated with cheapo dry chicken gravy mix for hot sandwiches. It's quite versatile.

We love to cook breakfast outside in the mornings. We have a Presto Griddle and the coffee pot always set up outside the travel trailer. Get the coffee going -cook whatever breakfast meats. Love the "Pancake Mix" in the yellow bottle?? I think Bisquick or Pillsbury?? Not sure the brand name! We always purchase when we go... Follow instuctions - but add a twist. For Thanksgiving and Halloween we add some canned pumpkin, spices and make pumpkin pancakes -top with crushed pecans and Whip Cream, or add some fresh blueberries, bananas or chocolate chips.....Love to cook outside of the camper! "The Great Outdoors....") ..:banana:

We love to cook breakfast outside in the mornings. We have a Presto Griddle and the coffee pot always set up outside the travel trailer. Get the coffee going -cook whatever breakfast meats. Love the "Pancake Mix" in the yellow bottle?? I think Bisquick or Pillsbury?? Not sure the brand name! We always purchase when we go... Follow instuctions - but add a twist. For Thanksgiving and Halloween we add some canned pumpkin, spices and make pumpkin pancakes -top with crushed pecans and Whip Cream, or add some fresh blueberries, bananas or chocolate chips.....Love to cook outside of the camper! "The Great Outdoors....") ..:banana:

We love that pancake mix too!! Just went and checked my cupboard and it is Bisquik Shake & Pour... We always buy extras when we are in the states cause we can't get them here in Canada :sad1:
We are the same, cook breaky and most meals for that matter, outdoors..
I will definately have to try adding that twist on the pancakes... Sounds yummy!!! :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter